Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, I never bothered with Dera-Deka for the last one since I never thought about it. Plus the AlphaWiki skips 'em wholesale and I was just following that to make it significantly easier on my part; don't have to think about what I'm doing then. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Anime talk time!

This is the ending that the anime went with - the world has been reset and everyone has kept their character development, even if they didn't keep their exact memories. However, this shouldn't have worked in the anime - everyone except Hibiki died, with most of them never getting any development. In the game, the fact that everyone except for the four Tokyo faction members had to have the fate level at at least 4, means that you have seen most of their scenes, and they have developed as a person though the MC's interaction with them. In the anime, their new characterization comes out of nowhere.

I'm just going to assume the man who gave Yamato candy is the guy who starved to death in Yamato's ending, for maximum irony.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Endorph posted:

Probably just a case of reusing assets and hoping nobody would notice. They already did that with the NPCs in the game (see: satanic looking police officer sprite)

Well, it's both definitely just a re-use of that and also probably somewhat intentional if you recognize what it is as maybe a suggestion that Fumi's using her powers for good and not evil now.

Also Dragonatrix I must commend your taste in SMT games, between this and DDS (which has the best soundtrack full stop).

Feinne fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 21, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
:toot:

Thanks for LPing the game in its entirety. I bought it ages ago and never finished it, so it's nice to see all the content. I prefer this route's ending over Alcor's (even though the latter's route is clearly more fun to play), since everyone gets their own happy ending.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Congrats on finishing the game, Dragonatrix!

Hey, maybe by the time this LP gets archived, we'll find out new stuff about Break Record finally! :v:

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

This ending and Alcor's are the best by far, though I'm not even sure which I prefer. This one is more optimistic, but makes it clear that all this could happen again in the future; while I choose to believe that Alcor didn't just abandon the party on a deserted planet and the Polaris fiasco will never happen again, regardless of what humanity does. One's more gratifying in the short-term while the other is in the long-term.

After seeing them for myself, character-wise I'd put Ronaldo's route above Yamato's. At least Yamato went out in a blaze of glory and Ronaldo got some development, instead of them both being peak themselves on the other non-Daichi routes.

At the end of the day, this game is really about beating up your friends until they all agree that they're being idiots. :3:

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Dragonatrix posted:

And they all even have weaknesses in some way; Yamato doesn't at face value, but that he comes alone means his strength is limited.

It's a clever concept, but by doing this ending so late we can steamroll them all with minimal effort so the meaning behind it gets a wee bit lost.

or maybe im just reading way too much into it who knows

As always, the final ordeal is the giant fat thing.[/i]

I noticed a small broken tag.

Anyways, thanks for LPing this! :toot: I think that out of all the endings, "Kill Polaris" was the obvious worst, while this one is the better one due to showing everyone fulfilling their dreams even though Polaris might do it again. Alcor's was pretty good, even though there's no real specifics about how the new world is and everyone could, say, fly. :v: Ronaldo's ending wasn't too bad either, despite the brainwashing.

Booky fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 22, 2014

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
It's kind of nice that Polaris is actually moved by your human resolve on this route and agrees to hear you out, in contrast to Kagutsuchi from Nocturne whose light-neutral attitude is basically "No, you are not playing by the rules and that means you are dumb and must die."

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Booky posted:

I noticed a small broken tag.

Whoops, nice catch. Should be fixed now, thanks.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's also kind of interesting that you don't have to fight Alcor on this route. Is that dependent on his fate level, or is it just part of the story?

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

It's also kind of interesting that you don't have to fight Alcor on this route. Is that dependent on his fate level, or is it just part of the story?

Dragonatrix posted:

We poke the demons and they die. We then get told about the Terminal, needing the dragon blah blah blah. Alcor's only other event on the last day is now just a repetition of what we've already seen (i.e. we fight him and he dies, but this time with the same generic dialogue as on Ronaldo and Yamato's routes).

The only time Alcor survives is if you take his route, and then he dies at the end of it anyways. :smith:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

ultrafilter posted:

You do fight him. Dragonatrix skipped it because we've seen the fight already.

Edit:

BlackPersona posted:

The only time Alcor survives is if you take his route, and then he dies at the end of it anyways. :smith:

What are you talking about, he became the new world administrator. :colbert:

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I'd just like to thank you for putting so much time and effort into this LP! I really enjoyed it. :)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Called that ending. :v: Thanks for the LP, I could never get into this game but always wanted to see what I'd missed.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
This ending is definitely the best ending possible. So much hope for the future and all that junk. Too bad there's no hope for our future as things go one at this point. Either way, another great LP ready to be thrown up onto the archives and totally nothing else to do in it for parts.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, I thought it was going to get crazy dark when we just reprised the opening cutscene. But... somehow things are working out? Is that it?

I wonder if we just convinced Polaris that we were capable of a unified will and he left it at that?

Also, why would Fumi NOT set up a giant generator in the middle of a park? She is totally the type.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Glazius posted:

But... somehow things are working out? Is that it?

This series tends to be biased towards the neutral ending.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Glazius posted:

Man, I thought it was going to get crazy dark when we just reprised the opening cutscene. But... somehow things are working out? Is that it?

I wonder if we just convinced Polaris that we were capable of a unified will and he left it at that?

Polaris gave everyone a chance to show that they had changed due to the events of the week - presumably if he felt that the gang had lost their memories, he would send the big dipper after the world again.

However, almost everyone has shown some character development in the ending - Daichi is thinking about like after high school; Io has become more confident; Hinako is willing to dance on a stage; Ari is willing to perform the piano again; Keita has actually made a friend in Jungo; Joe is spending time with his girlfriend; Makoto is putting helping people before her assignments; Fumi is willing to see the beauty of nature outside instead of being completely cut off from the world; Ronaldo is working with the police again instead of obsessing over a not dead guy.

Seeing that everyone has developed and has kept their development after the reset is enough to convince Polaris not to attack again.

Unless Break Record changes that.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
What's Yamato's development? That he doesn't just walk right over the kid? :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sleep of Bronze posted:

What's Yamato's development? That he doesn't just walk right over the kid? :v:

He's in the public eye. Presumably, that means he's made the knowledge of JP's public and they're an organization publicly doing what's best for Japan, but that's a lot to extrapolate from Yamato walking to his limo in broad daylight in front of a large crowd.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Since I would imagine that anyone who read this would be interested enough...

Thread for this is up 'n can be found here.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I know that some people dislike the series' bias towards the neutral endings, but frankly, I like it. Both Law and Chaos are bad when taken to extremes, that's pretty much the point. I also like that the best endings are based on the willingness to work for a better future without saying "Humans are bad so we must fundamentally change them" or "Welp, everything sucks, might as well let people do whatever the gently caress they like."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Also, for an unknowable omnipotent alien entity who is the nominal Law-ending leader, Polaris is actually a pretty chill dude. Yeah, the whole apocalypse thing sucked, but at the end of it all, once you finally manage to get an audience with him, he's really open to just about any new world you choose. Want a dog-eat-dog system? No problem. One for all, all for one? Can do that, too. Just want to reset everything back to the way it was before everything got blown to hell? Ehh... you run the risk of the apocalypse happening again, but sure, if that's really what you want, let's make it happen.

Really, the only times he gets pissed off at you is when you explicitly show up to murder his rear end, and in that case, it's kind of justifiable for him to be pissed, since if you weren't out for his blood, he'd be pretty cool about letting you get a new world.

• Locked thread