Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Beans are a great source of fiber, protein, and hot, painful farts. They can also taste really good and be filling. This thread is about cooking beans for the beans. Eating the beans with a spoon, not splashed into a chili or crammed into a burrito. Let your beans hang loose.

Here's the recipe that got me interested in beans. It's from my Texan step-dad's family cookbook. I want to share it because it makes drat good beans.

Family Cookbook posted:

Southwestern Beans
Linda W.

1 16-oz. pkg. dried pinto beans
6 C. water
1 meaty ham bone
2 med. onions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 10-oz. can tomatoes with chilies, chopped and undrained
2 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried whole basil
1 tsp. dried whole oregano
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried whole thyme
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
Dash ground red pepper
2 bay leaves

Sort and wash beans; place in a Dutch oven. Cover with water 2" above beans, and bring to a boil; cover and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand 1 hour. Drain beans, and return to Dutch oven. Add 6 cups water, ham bone, and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours or until beans are tender. Remove ham hock and bay leaves. Cut ham from hock; chop. Return ham to beans. Yield: 8 servings.

The above makes some :krad: beans. Let those beans boil for a few hours longer, let them turn to mush, and you have a sophisticated bean dip.

I dug out the cookbook for this thread. I haven't looked at that in a while and my own bean recipe has mutated a bit since I started using this recipe for the cook.

Here's what I'm doing with beans. It's a little faster because it uses a pressure cooker. Also, check out this garlic peeling video to save some time on my garlic-heavy recipe (Shaking method): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc7w_PGSt9Y (this works with any combination of very-smooth-walled vessels.)

Measurements are approximate.

I posted:

Ol' Beans
Juice Box Hero

1 lb dry pinto or eye of the goat beans
4 C chicken stock, low sodium
2.5 C water
1 white or yellow onion, large or medium, chopped
1 red onion, large or medium, chopped
4 oz. salt pork, sliced to matchsticks
1 head garlic, peeled & chopped
1/4 C. Maple Syrup, Agave Nectar, or Brown Sugar
2 T. olive oil
1 T., heaping, cocoa powder
1 T., heaping, red chili powder (Cayenne, Tikhalal, whatever you got as long as it's spicy. Use less if you don't like them hot)
1 T., heaping, sweet paprika
1 T., heaping, ground cumin
1 T. red pepper flake
1 T. ground coriander
1 T. oregano
1 t. smoked paprika
2 bay leaves
Edit: Salt and Pepper, of course, to your taste and personal S&P philosophy. I usually throw about 1 T of kosher salt with the onions, and 1 T fresh cracked pepper with 'everything else'.

Heat olive oil to med. in open pressure cooker. Add onions and salt pork, cook until lightly browned, 10-20 mins. Add all other ingredients, pressure cook for three hours. Release pressure, simmer until pot liquor is thick enough to stick to back of spoon. Serve hot or (preferably) refigerate overnight and reheat for extra good flavor. 'Garnish' with a dollop of cold sour cream and some fresh cold chopped red onion for something really special.

Here are some beans I cooked for too long. They're too thick but they taste pretty good.

Here are some beans I think are interesting!
The humble Pinto. Cheap, filling, delicious. A true cowboy staple. Poor man's Eye of the Goat.

Eye of the Goat. Rich man's pinto. Firmer, meatier than a pinto. Holds up to very long cooking times. Popular in California.

Black Calypso (aka Orca) - it's said that is has a potato-like flavor. Purveyor Rancho Gordo recommends a simple preparation with pancetta and sage.

Flageolet. Some french bean or something. Heck if I know!

These places are where I've been buying my beans. The stuff I can't find at the grocer, I mean:
http://www.purcellmountainfarms.com/Dried%20Beans.htm (Amazing selection. It's like a bean museum)
http://www.ranchogordo.com/ (Often out of stock, but they have some cool stuff and it's guaranteed fresh, latest harvest I believe)

Let's talk about cooking mains or sides where the beans are the star ingredient. Stuff like:
Bean soups
Rice and beans
Pork and beans
Beans and greens

Peas and lentils and corn and whatever other ingredients can sub for beans or require a bean-like preparation are also welcome.
Beans are good as heck.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Part toot:
So you want to cook a bean but you don't have enough vacation time to simmer it to completion? Get a pressure cooker! Speed that poo poo up using sorcery. Pressure cookers are good for all sorts of things. There's a great thread about it here.

RECIPES!

Carribean-Style Peas and Rice by PatMarshall

Georgian Lobio Salad by TapTheForwardAssist

Piyaz (Persian Bean Salad With Onion) by TapTheForwardAssist

Borracho Beans by Rick Bayless, via GrAviTy84

Black-Eyed Pea and Kale Ragout, a.k.a. French Hoppin' John by Jacques Pépin, via Butch Cassidy and Rand alPaul

Hot Jumping Beans by Justin Bieber and Rascal Flatts

Red Beans and Rice by Chuck Taggart, via TychoCelchuuu

Cajun-Style Red Beans and Rice with Pancetta!! by Hollismason

Sweet Potato & Coconut Dhal by Butch Cassidy

Lentil Dal by simplyrecipes, via Bob Morales.

Chole/Chana/Indian Chickpeas by SymmetryrtemmyS

Dal from the GWS wiki, via SymmetryrtemmyS

Lazy Pongal (Lentils and Rice) by dino.

Hoppin' John by SymmetryrtemmyS

Bean Soup by wormil

Cajun Pinto Beans by Mama Ozzy's Table via wormil

Pressure Cooker Santa Maria Pot Beans by SymmetryrtemmyS

New Orleans Style Red Beans and Rice from the GWS wiki via The Midniter

The Lazy Cook's Black Beans by Serious Eats via Butch Cassidy

Bean Thing by Pham Nuwen

Alton's The Once and Future Beans via Laminator and 22 Eargesplitten

90 Minute No-Soak Pintos by thepauperedchef.com via CommonShore

The Wren's Mexican/Jamaican Black Beans via saints gambit

Burrito Truck-Style Pintos by coyo7e

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 27, 2016

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Beans are the greatest.

Here's the red beans and rice people pass around on these forums all the time and I can confirm it's great, although I no longer follow the recipe precisely, I make the vegetarian version, and I leave out the non-vegan stuff. In any case it's great.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Beans are my go to meal most days: cheap, nutritious, and delicious.

When I get tired of my usual recipes, I like to make Caribbean style peas and rice for a change of pace:

Ingredients:
1 can of coconut milk
1 14oz can of pigeon peas or kidney beans (if I was a real dude, I would cook from dry, but :effort:)
1 and 1/2 cups long grain rice, well rinsed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and lightly crushed beneath your knife or a heavy pan
3-4 sprigs of thyme
1-2 scotch bonnet or habanero chiles (or your favorite chile if you can't find these)
A few allspice berries, crushed (optional)
chopped scallions to garnish

Saute the onion in your favorite fat until tender and translucent, add the ginger and chiles and cook for two more minutes, then remove from heat. Add the coconut milk and 1 and 1/2 cups of water and place back on low heat. Add allspice, thyme, beans, and rice. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 18 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit covered for five minutes (don't peek!). Remove chiles, thyme, and ginger, then stir through scallions and serve. Feel free to eat the reserved chiles, but be careful, scotch bonnets don't play around!

edit: I forgot to mention, drain the beans if you use canned, and don't forget to season to taste with salt and pepper, bearing in mind that canned beans are often pretty salty already.

PatMarshall fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Dec 8, 2013

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Beans are the greatest.

Here's the red beans and rice people pass around on these forums all the time and I can confirm it's great, although I no longer follow the recipe precisely, I make the vegetarian version, and I leave out the non-vegan stuff. In any case it's great.

I'm making this tonight actually, I'll see if I can document it for this thread!

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

One of my friends makes the saddest pot of beans. Just beans and water - no salt, no spices, no stock or ham bone or anything else. I've offered to make a pot of beans for him with some flavor, but he actually likes his beans that way. Go figure.

I still prefer making beans in a slow cooker. Toss in a pound of sorted and cleaned pinto beans, a diced onion, a minced head of garlic, a couple seeded and diced jalapenos, salt and four or five bay leaves, and a ham bone, fill with water, get 8 hours of sleep while the slow cooker makes magic happen. Serve with fried potatoes and cornbread.

Alternatively, a pot of butter beans: dice and fry some pancetta or bacon, then sweat onion, celery, and garlic in the fat. Add it to the slow cooker, along with a pound or so of dried Lima beans, chicken stock to cover, plus salt and thyme. Serve with biscuits.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
sweet, maybe now that we have a beans with meat thread, I can reboot the chili thread and we can go our separate ways :angel:

Featured Creature
May 10, 2004
Tomatoes
Do black eyed peas count? I love some Jamaican food.. Peas and rice are so delicious. Saute an onion, ginger, garlic (tons of garlic), and some good chili peppers. Add dried black eyed peas, cumin, allspice, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover with coconut milk and simmer until the peas are done. If you have any on hand throw in some goat meat and let it cook with the peas. Serve over long grain rice. I have been doing brown basmati rice a lot lately. So incredibly good.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Featured Creature posted:

Do black eyed peas count? I love some Jamaican food.. Peas and rice are so delicious. Saute an onion, ginger, garlic (tons of garlic), and some good chili peppers. Add dried black eyed peas, cumin, allspice, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover with coconut milk and simmer until the peas are done. If you have any on hand throw in some goat meat and let it cook with the peas. Serve over long grain rice. I have been doing brown basmati rice a lot lately. So incredibly good.

Black eyed peas do count! I didn't know until recently that their short cooking time contributed to their rise in popularity (e: and their being called "peas"). I think I heard that on NPR or something.

These coconut milk bean recipes have me intrigued.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 10, 2013

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
This thread makes me happy.

I just got a pressure cooker. I think pintos and cornbread hafta happen as the inaugural dish.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Featured Creature posted:

I make the faster version all the time too. A chopped onion, 1" or so of ginger peeled and crushed, a clove of garlic peeled and crushed, 1 can (14-16oz) of red kidney beans, 1 can of coconut milk + 1 can broth/water, 2 cups of long grain rice, 8 or so crushed allspice berries, thyme, salt, pepper, and a scotch bonnet chili pepper.

Saute the onion, ginger, and garlic in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add the rest, just setting the whole chili on top of the liquid. Top up with a can of water or broth if the rice isn't covered. Cover tightly and simmer ~30m (I do 10m in a pressure cooker), pull out the chili, fluff and serve.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Worth looking into are some of the bean dishes in the Turkey-Georgia-Iran belt. There are several good cold bean salads with lots of flavor that make great lunches to back, wrap up with bread, or whatever.

I mainly knew these under the Georgian term "lobio", but that just means "beans" so isn't too helpful. Some websites have clearer names for some variants, but googling "georgian lobio salad" is a good way to get the cold recipes. Here's one such:

1/2 lbs small kidney beans
3/4 tsp of salt
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
2 sprigs of cilantro
1 sprig of parsely
1/2 cup of walnuts
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 small hot pepper (about 1 in long)
1/4 tsp of cinnamon
pinch of ground cloves
1/2 tsp of ground marigold
1/2 - 3/4 c of pomgranate juice

Some of these have a big list of spices, including fenugreek and a lot of similar things a lot of goons probably don't stock. But if you're lazy or short on spices, in all honesty Old Bay Seasoning isn't a terrible way to vaguely emulate some Georgian seasoning.

Speaking of unclear names, the good Turkish cold bean salad is called piyaz, but that just means "onion" in Persian. Food names are about as bad as musical instrument names. But also very tasty and easy to make, serve cold. Here's one ingredient list:

2 cups of cooked northern beans
1 onion, cut finely in half-moons
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp crushed pepper
1 or two hard boiled eggs, sliced
1 tomato, diced

1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic, minced

The recipe on this site has an interesting suggestion for making raw onion more mellow:

quote:

Take the slices of onion and sprinkle with salt. Knead the onion and salt with your hands so that the bitter juices are released. Place in a sieve and rinse under cold running water. With your hand, squeeze out the remaining water. NB this is a time-honoured Turkish way of treating onions and I recommend it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My grandmother just gave me six pounds of dried Jacob's cattle beans. Any ideas to use them beyond living on Boston baked beans for a month?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

2 cups of cooked northern beans
1 onion, cut finely in half-moons
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
1 tsp crushed pepper
1 or two hard boiled eggs, sliced
1 tomato, diced

1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic, minced

The recipe on this site has an interesting suggestion for making raw onion more mellow:

Oh man, replace the northern beans with chick peas and that poo poo is right up my alley. Looks amazing.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

The Midniter posted:

Oh man, replace the northern beans with chick peas and that poo poo is right up my alley. Looks amazing.

I'd give the white beans a shot at least once first; some of the better recipe variants really benefit from the beans soaking up the vinegar/juice/spice mix, and I think the white beans both sop better and end up with a texture that goes better with bread. I have no idea where to get Turkish bread retail in DC, but it's great stuff.

While we're in the neighborhood, worth mentioning ful mudammas:

Pictured is a messier but tastier than usual variant: Aleppo style with tahini and olive oil (and sometimes a paste of red peppers) on top.

Ful mudammas (فول مدمس‎ , also spelled mudammes, foul, all kinds of transliterations) is basically stewed fava beans. Tons of variations on the basic recipe, with some being chunk whole beans, others practically a puree. I favor something close to the latter, with condiments on top, and lots of bread.

There's this supposed Egyptian saying: "ful is a rich man's breakfast, a working man's lunch, and a poor man's dinner." Even folklore aside, I think it's best as breakfast anyway.

I've had it at a few places (the best in Philly) and cooked it a few times. The first time I made it I used dry fava beans, and as noted by many commentators online it takes for-goddam-ever to shell a decent portion of fava. I've seen various suggested tricks, but most all eventually require manually squeezing each individual bean to pop it out the shell. I posted here in GWS back in 2007 when I first did so, and an Egyptian goon told me that nobody bothers doing that at home, they just use canned. Anecdotal; some other recipes appear to say that you just soak them overnight, then cook them for hours until even the skins are edible, but I'm not totally convinced.

In my (limited) experience a mass of beans this large can end up bland unless you're bold with the spices, and having at least a few fresh flavors (fresh lemon, some fresh herb) helps spruce it up.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

I want that

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Get ready to be rocked, with Italian infused Cajun style Red Beans and rice with Pancetta!!

So a big staple of Southern cooking especially in New Orleans is something called Tasso, basically spicey cured ham. Well this is a speciality in New Orleans and in the south specifically, so there's a great substitute that is available most every where!!

Spicy PANCETTA!

You are going to want to get the more spicier kind ( yes this is available just ask they'll let you know which to get)

So here it is Red Beans and Rice with Pancetta and Ham Bone ( if you cannot find ham bone , thick pork shank works fine)

You will need

1lb Red Beans ( LARGE Red Kidney Beans)
1/2 Pound Spicey pancetta or tasso
1 pound Andouille( Johnsonville andouille is actually pretty decent)
How to cut andouille , andouille is best cut like a pepperoni slice but bot straight across try like to angle it slightly on it if that makes sense
A good size Ham bone, if shank use like 2 or 3 but trim the meat off it a little bit)
1 rough cup of celery ( rough cup is just uh , eye a cup)
1 rough cup of onion
Some bay leaves 2 to 3
1 rough cup of green bell peppers
2 to 3 cloves of finely mashed garlic = like 2 to 3 tablespoons
2 to 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley
1 tablespoon of fresh thyme or 2 tablespoons of dried thyme
1 Tablespoon Tony's ( Tony's Cajun seasoning comes in a green container, if not tony's do not use any other seasoning just omit from the recipe)
Salt and Pepper
Tabasco sauce

Prep

Soak Da Beans over night, like how you would normally soak beans

Use a large heavy pot with a lid ( pressure cooker is best)

Chop up the pancetta in cubes add to the pot. Render out some good amount of grease, remove the pancetta when it is slightly crispy

Add Fresh Herbs ( if you got them), celery, onion, garlic, bell pepper , cook on low medium, when the onion is slightly almost getting translucent add the andouille, if its getting "dry" add some water. You don't want to brown anything.

Add back in your Pancetta.

Add a cup of water and the ham bone let that cook for a bit like 20 minutes stirring occasionally and making sure nothing sticks.

Now you are going to add your beans but before that you are going to measure how many cups you put in there.

Bean to water ratio for 1 cup of beans add 3 cups of Water.

Now add in bay leaves.

And dried herbs if you are using that

DO NOT ADD SALT PEPPER OR TABASCO AT THIS STAGE

Let this cook for 1 hour with the lid on at about a medium low heat it should just be bubbling not boiling. While stirring occasionally if it's sticking to the bottom you turn down the heat, if you need to add some more water do that but not to much. ( An option instead of water is to basically just take a bunch of ham bones stick them in a pot with salt pepper and water then cook it to make ham broth )

NOW taste, add salt , pepper, tabasco according to your taste.

Next Phase

Get a potato masher or a heavy spoon. Turn down your heat. Now, take this and smash some beans with it. The best way to do this is to actually physically remove just the beans like maybe 2 cups is good you want to leave some whole ones in there. Put them in a bowl and just mash the poo poo out of them. Not like mash potato consistency but well mashed. Also, I shouldn't have to say this but pick out the pieces of sausage and pancetta before doing this.

Put that back in the pot and stir it up.

Let it cook for another hour on medium low heat stirring as needed.

Put the lid back on and cook for another hour stirring occasionally

Serve on top of rice.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 11, 2013

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I made some borracho beans with cornbread this weekend. Beans rule.

Borracho beans, buttermilk cornbread by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Used rick bayless' recipe here:
http://www.gonnawantseconds.com/2011/09/drunken-mexican-beans-with-cilantro-and-bacon/

With bacon ends, and added a lot more tequila mostly at the simmer but a bit for the finish. Also added a few bay leaves because bay leaves and beans are best friends. Also charred and peeled the jalapeños.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 11, 2013

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Are we counting dried peas in here for diversity or just beans? Because I made some awesome sweet potato dhal with yellow peas the other night.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Butch Cassidy posted:

Are we counting dried peas in here for diversity or just beans? Because I made some awesome sweet potato dhal with yellow peas the other night.

Yeah man rock on with peas, lentils, dried corn. Tell us about the dhal, if you peas. :haw:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Oh man, I keep forgetting to take pics of my rajma and post it here! Not to worry, I eat some sort of dal every day or two at least, so I'll remember to picturize at some point. Yesterday I made a chole masala with peas. Delicious.

ReveS
Nov 6, 2004
'chole' is chickpea am I right?

I would love to see your chole masala recipe. I've been toying around - with a low success rate. Chickpeas and 'masala' is an elusive dish for my stupid western self.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Sweet Potato & Coconut Dhal ripped and slightly altered from a Taste for Life rag free at the hippie grocer.

- 1 cup of yellow split peas soaked in water all day or night

- Canola oil to sauté a finely diced onion

- 1 generous teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes. Recipe called for a 1/2 teaspoon, gently caress that.

- One teaspoon each garam masala, turmeric, and toasted cumin

- A 1/3" or so piece of ginger, peeled and chopped

- One can of coconut milk

- A good sized sweet potato, peeled and cubed smallish

- One can of diced tomatoes, or equivalent in fresh if in season

- One cup of stock, veggie or chicken work well

- Salt/pepper to taste

- Chopped fresh cilantro and broken almonds to top each serving

Once the onions are about finished sautéing, dump in and cook the ginger/turmeric/pepper flakes/garam masala/cumin until fragrant. Add the stock/tomatoes/coconut milk/ drained peas/sweet potato and simmer covered until thick and the peas/sweet potato are tender. Thin with pea soaking water if needed and serve over rice or family style with flatbread. Top with cilantro and almond as you see fit.

It is super tasty and I would suggest more than a half teaspoon of pepper flakes to counter the sweetness of the sweet potato. A generous teaspoon was perfect for my wife's taste.

E: depending on your peas and size of your sweet potato cubes, it will simmer for 40 minutes to an hour. Stir now and then to keep it from scorching.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 8, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you're a beans newbie, you should be able to find a bag of a 10, 12, or 15 'bean mix'. You'll get a bunch of different kinds of beans, and there's a recipe on the back. It's basically 'boil the beans forever and add some chopped up veg' but for as simple as it is, it's pretty good. You might find your favorite bean!

(Goya brand is only like $2)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Bob Morales posted:

If you're a beans newbie, you should be able to find a bag of a 10, 12, or 15 'bean mix'. You'll get a bunch of different kinds of beans, and there's a recipe on the back. It's basically 'boil the beans forever and add some chopped up veg' but for as simple as it is, it's pretty good. You might find your favorite bean!

(Goya brand is only like $2)

These bean mixes are really good. At my house, we like to pre-cook these on the stove, and then throw them in a crock pot with some ham chunks, vegetable stock, onion, garlic, and cilantro. It makes an incredible soup to come home from work to.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

deadly_pudding posted:

These bean mixes are really good. At my house, we like to pre-cook these on the stove, and then throw them in a crock pot with some ham chunks, vegetable stock, onion, garlic, and cilantro. It makes an incredible soup to come home from work to.

Yes, cooking your beans with a hambone or just adding chunks of sweet delicious ham is an awesome combination.

Arus
Aug 23, 2003

I just bought loads of lentils and beans (red, black, garbanzo) at the market and I'm trying to find something to do with them other than making soups. Does anyone have any good recipes that use curry? I don't eat pork or beef so I'm limited to what I can make with them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Arus posted:

I just bought loads of lentils and beans (red, black, garbanzo) at the market and I'm trying to find something to do with them other than making soups. Does anyone have any good recipes that use curry? I don't eat pork or beef so I'm limited to what I can make with them.

You can make dal with the lentils. Start with a recipe like this:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/red_lentil_dal/

Basically boil the fuckers and then mix with a sauteed combination of onions/garlic/tomato and 'indian' spices. I add serranos to it's like hot spicy crack, in paste form. You can add more water or cream depending on how you like it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Yeah, start with a 1:1:1 proportion of turmeric:garam masala:cumin and adjust to taste as you play around. And other spices like coriander and fenugreek can be fun to add. Even just curry powder from a decent bulk bin can be an okay start. And beans love fresh cilantro or parsley.

E: That sweet potato dhal recipe I posted would work fine with lentils. And what is the lentils cooked with rice thing Indians feed to kids like we do Mac and cheese? It can be pretty yummy to play around with and I haven't had any in too long.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

ReveS posted:

'chole' is chickpea am I right?

I would love to see your chole masala recipe. I've been toying around - with a low success rate. Chickpeas and 'masala' is an elusive dish for my stupid western self.

Yeah, chole/chana is chickpea. It's pretty simple - but there are a few unexpected flavors in there that really change the whole dish.

Let me know if any of these terms need to be explained.

There are three flavor stages of this recipe: whole dry spices, whole wet spices, and main ingredients. This is pretty common in Indian cooking.

These groups are as follows:

Main Ingredients
1 cup dried small chickpeas or regular chickpeas/chole (canned chickpeas can also be used) or 1.5 cups regular dried chickpeas.
1 green chile, slit
1 tsp coriander powder
¼ tsp red chile powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp garam masala powder or chole masala
½ or 1 tsp dry mango powder/amchur powder
a pinch of asafoetida (optional)
black salt or rock salt as required
2 cups water to be added later

Whole Spices
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 large indian bay leaf/tej patta
2 inch cinnamon
2-3 cloves
2 green cardamom
2-3 black peppercorn

Wet Spices
1 medium size onion, chopped
2 medium size tomatoes, chopped
½ inch ginger, chopped
3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 green chile, chopped

First, soak and cook the chickpeas. I like to add some baking soda and a bay leaf while cooking the chole. You want the texture to melt in your mouth.

Next, make a paste of the wet spices in a processor or mortar/pestle. No need for added water here - the moisture in the potatoes and onions will keep things moving.

Heat more oil than you think is necessary in a pan, add a pinch of asafoetida (hing), and fry the dry spices listed above for a minute or two, enough to release the scent/flavor. Experience will teach you the timing and rhythm in which to make your tarka, but the order is as listed.

Add your paste and fry over medium heat until the oil starts to emerge around the sides of the paste. Stir meanwhile, so you don't have any sticking or burning.

Add the ground coriander, turmeric, chile powder, and amchur. Stir and saute for a minute, just to remove the rawness of the spices. Add the chole, water, salt, and stir. Turn down the heat and cook, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes, until the curry thickens. Add the slit green chiles and garam masala. Stir and simmer for another few minutes, and season to taste. Garnish with cilantro/coriander leaves. Serve with bread.

e: By the way, this is the fancyass version. I consider it worth the effort because you can freeze your leftovers and heat up a bowlful any time. Also, I dunno how traditional this is, but I like to mix a little bit of coconut cream into my serving.

SymmetryrtemmyS fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 10, 2014

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Arus posted:

There's probably an interesting falafel variant in that mix somewhere. The lentils might do some neat things with texture and flavor in that use.

min
May 12, 2001

Arus posted:

You could try Mujadarra. I've made it before following this recipe that I found with a quick google and it turned out pretty good. I think I added some garlic and used a little more cumin.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Arus posted:

Here's the basic daal from which most of my beany curries originate: http://goonswithspoons.com/Daal_Tarka

Try north or south Indian styles - they're pretty dramatically different. And keep in mind that as written, they're a little plain and lacking. You want to customize these. Throw in veggies, add tomatoes, leafy greens, whatever. Make it yours.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Ginger and garlic are necessities for a good tarka daal. I fry the garlic with the tarka and boil the ginger with the lentils and turmeric, Madhur Jaffrey-style.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Sjurygg posted:

Ginger and garlic are necessities for a good tarka daal. I fry the garlic with the tarka and boil the ginger with the lentils and turmeric, Madhur Jaffrey-style.

That sounds lovely. I'll have to try that. It's a shame fresh turmeric is difficult to find, otherwise that'd be just perfect. Do you chop/slice/sliver the ginger first?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I just cut it in slivers. I like to nibble on them as I eat. And you are correct in assuming it's even better with fresh turmeric, no matter how horribly it stains your fingers.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Do you chop/slice/sliver the ginger first?
You can just use a cheese grater.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I microplane ginger sometimes. I like to freeze it (so it doesn't go bad) and then it's pretty easy to just grate frozen.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Butch Cassidy posted:

And what is the lentils cooked with rice thing Indians feed to kids like we do Mac and cheese? It can be pretty yummy to play around with and I haven't had any in too long.
http://altveg.blogspot.com/2013/01/pongal-lazy-way.html?q=pongal

Pongal. That's my lazy version, when I didn't feel like fiddling around with things and burning one thing while undercooking the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Awesome, thanks :)

• Locked thread