Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Is there a secret to making beans that are done correctly?

The few times I've tried to make pinto/black beans they seem to go from undercooked, too hard, and flavorless bullets to a formless mush. I can't seem to find a sweet-spot where they've cooked through correctly.

I tried making red beans once and I watched the pot for roughly 8 hours and they weren't soft, weren't soft, weren't soft, I step out for 10 minutes, and they turned to mash.

EDIT: I don't have a pressure cooker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SopWATh posted:

The few times I've tried to make pinto/black beans they seem to go from undercooked, too hard, and flavorless bullets to a formless mush. I can't seem to find a sweet-spot where they've cooked through correctly.

Don't soak beans, brine beans. I think it's about 3/4 tbsp per quart of water, let them sit 24 hours. Then when you cook them, make sure that there's also a little bit of salt in the water.

E: I wrote teaspoon instead of tablespoon.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 15, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I had green lentils, a quart of sliced kale, a sweet potato, a lime, and fresh sage/red chili flakes/cumin/fenugreek/turmeric/ginger/garlic/garam masala/brown mustard seeds/diced cilantro stems and turned them into a delicious vegan thing. Served with a double gin and tonic in a mason jar with a couple dashes of angostura bitters and the last half of the lime juice.

Now to score some asafetida and curry leaves to try Dino's tasty looking recipe.

Arus
Aug 23, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Don't soak beans, brine beans.

Would you mind sharing a recipe for bean brining liquid? I've never heard of brining beans before but I'm totally down for trying it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Arus posted:

Would you mind sharing a recipe for bean brining liquid? I've never heard of brining beans before but I'm totally down for trying it.

3/4 Tablespoons of salt per quart of water. Just stir salt into water and add dried beans. Soak 8 to 24 hours.

Drain and then cook as you normally would, adding a minor amount of salt of the recipe doesn't already call for some.

Edit: use the same amount of water you normally would, just stir the salt in first.

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 15, 2014

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Illinois Smith posted:

You can just use a cheese grater.

Eeyo posted:

I microplane ginger sometimes. I like to freeze it (so it doesn't go bad) and then it's pretty easy to just grate frozen.

Well, I keep ginger paste on hand in large quantities (along with garlic paste and serrano paste and what I call masala paste which is a mixture of the three with ground coriander, cumin, and a few other things). I was curious how he does it, because boiling ginger paste would leave me with very little ginger to nosh on in the dish itself.

Gonna dal a bean tonight. Maybe with spinach, maybe paneer, maybe potato. Who knows. I'll take a picture of the finished product but I can't promise process photos.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Regarding the bringing of beans and salting of bean cooking water, do the bean skins stay intact or peel off?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

psychokitty posted:

Regarding the bringing of beans and salting of bean cooking water, do the bean skins stay intact or peel off?

In my experience they stay intact.

Nitram2.0
Dec 29, 2012
Lately I have been using epazote while preparing my dried beans, and there is a noticeable difference in digestibility. It also adds a wonderfully subtle flavor. You won't find it at a big supermarket, but most latino grocery stores should have it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysphania_ambrosioides

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I have Jacob's cattle beans Boston bake-ifying in the pressure cooker for shits and giggles. They are great in a Dutch oven indoors or out and I am hoping I can get them to work in the pressure cooker. But they seem to be a New England thing and finding even a time suggestion for them is a pain. :science:

E: Could have used a pint less water than I started it with, but it is looking serviceable. Still lacks the special something brought by a day buried in coals, obviously.

E2: Fifteen minutes at pressure and a natural release worked pretty well for the texture and getting the salt pork to render well.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 16, 2014

So-so Miscreant
Aug 15, 2006

This place is too stinky even for me...

PatMarshall posted:

Beans are my go to meal most days: cheap, nutritious, and delicious.

When I get tired of my usual recipes, I like to make Caribbean style peas and rice for a change of pace:

Ingredients:
1 can of coconut milk
1 14oz can of pigeon peas or kidney beans (if I was a real dude, I would cook from dry, but :effort:)
1 and 1/2 cups long grain rice, well rinsed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and lightly crushed beneath your knife or a heavy pan
3-4 sprigs of thyme
1-2 scotch bonnet or habanero chiles (or your favorite chile if you can't find these)
A few allspice berries, crushed (optional)
chopped scallions to garnish

Saute the onion in your favorite fat until tender and translucent, add the ginger and chiles and cook for two more minutes, then remove from heat. Add the coconut milk and 1 and 1/2 cups of water and place back on low heat. Add allspice, thyme, beans, and rice. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 18 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit covered for five minutes (don't peek!). Remove chiles, thyme, and ginger, then stir through scallions and serve. Feel free to eat the reserved chiles, but be careful, scotch bonnets don't play around!

edit: I forgot to mention, drain the beans if you use canned, and don't forget to season to taste with salt and pepper, bearing in mind that canned beans are often pretty salty already.

I just made this for my lunch today and it was delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

min
May 12, 2001

So-so Miscreant posted:

I just made this for my lunch today and it was delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

I made this with dinner tonight as well and it was great. I think I'll add a second can of beans the next time I make it though, it had a bit too much rice for me.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah its pretty ricey, glad you both liked it! For a more bean-centric dish try Jamaican Stew Peas

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

3/4 Tablespoons of salt per quart of water. Just stir salt into water and add dried beans. Soak 8 to 24 hours.

Drain and then cook as you normally would, adding a minor amount of salt of the recipe doesn't already call for some.

Edit: use the same amount of water you normally would, just stir the salt in first.

Tried this and they came out much more tender than cooking them until they were dead (as instructed on the package)

Do you think the second phase while cooking I could forgo the salt and just add the ham as mentioned earlier in this thread?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Minclark posted:

Tried this and they came out much more tender than cooking them until they were dead (as instructed on the package)

Do you think the second phase while cooking I could forgo the salt and just add the ham as mentioned earlier in this thread?

It's up to you really, although I'm not sure how it would end up. I always just add a little more than 2 pinches of salt, pretty much the "salt and pepper to taste" portion of recipies, I just do it first.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I love kale. And beans.

Jacques Pépin's Black-Eyed Pea and Kale Ragout. Soooooo good when hit with a good dose of vinegary hot sauce at the table.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Butch Cassidy posted:

I love kale. And beans.

Jacques Pépin's Black-Eyed Pea and Kale Ragout. Soooooo good when hit with a good dose of vinegary hot sauce at the table.

I looked this recipe up.

It sounds like the French version of Hoppin' John. Pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Rand alPaul posted:

I looked this recipe up.

It sounds like the French version of Hoppin' John. Pretty cool, thanks for sharing.

Where the drat Hoppin' John at? I been craving Hoppin' John since the moon was blue.. Where the drat hoppin' John?!!!! Albert, you know that's not proper food for a guest!

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I don't know if anybody else saw this NPR post on an Indian black eyed peas dish but we made some for New Years and it was hella delicious.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Paradox Personified posted:

Where the drat Hoppin' John at? I been craving Hoppin' John since the moon was blue.. Where the drat hoppin' John?!!!! Albert, you know that's not proper food for a guest!

This is my house. And my country ways put the food on this GOD drat TABLE.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Pressure cooker Boston baked beans that is still a recipe in progress. This batch:

~ 1.5 pounds if Jacob's cattle beans. Soaked overnight and drained.

- Four slices bacon, diced. Because needs smoke.

~ 2 ounces salt pork, diced small

- 3 tbs brown mustard

- 1 1/2 tsp cider vinegar

- Generous 3/4 cup of molasses

- A fine-ish diced onion

- Some salt and black pepper

- Five cups of water, enough to healthily cover the beans.

Rendered the fat from the pork and bacon, softened the onions in it, dumped everything else in, brought to pressure for 45 minutes, let the pressure drop on its own, stirred, simmered for about ten minutes with the lid off to thicken, finalized seasoning.

Served with Dijon mustard/thyme compound butter rubbed high-roast chicken and baked sweet potatoes for supper, last night. And with southern-style cornbread for breakfast, today.

The Grapist
Mar 12, 2003

All in all I think I had a pretty normal childhood.

SopWATh posted:

Is there a secret to making beans that are done correctly?

I tried making red beans once and I watched the pot for roughly 8 hours and they weren't soft, weren't soft, weren't soft, I step out for 10 minutes, and they turned to mash.

EDIT: I don't have a pressure cooker.

This recipe right here will change your bean making life: http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2009/06/90-minute-no-soak-beans.html

No soak, approximately 90 minutes total. I've used this many times on black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans. Works every time. Larger beans might need a few minutes extra cooking time.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

No loving way. I'm definitely trying it.

Arus
Aug 23, 2003

Okay. I'm stocked up beyond belief with beans of every kind and I'm really enjoying the new addition to my diet, but it's getting kind of time consuming to cook them very often. Does anyone have suggestions for 'flexible' Sunday recipes that I can freeze/refrigerate and just heat up and add a protein to during the week?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

That's the beauty of beans, the keep really well (you can even freeze them) and reheat nicely. Red beans are great, just make rice when you come home and reheat the beans. If you have a leftover batch of frijoles a la olla, make refried beans. Refried black beans with a little cotija on top is seriously one of my favorite things to eat. White beans make a great stew with a ham hock, garlic, ground red pepper, and some kale.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Arus posted:

Okay. I'm stocked up beyond belief with beans of every kind and I'm really enjoying the new addition to my diet, but it's getting kind of time consuming to cook them very often. Does anyone have suggestions for 'flexible' Sunday recipes that I can freeze/refrigerate and just heat up and add a protein to during the week?

The correct answer to this is, "get a pressure cooker."

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

the best advice i can give to someone who wants to cook beans is to pan roast and grind your own cumin seeds. there's a huge difference between ground cumin in a jar from the grocery store and freshly roasted and ground cumin from your coffee grinder. i love beans and eat them all the time, my favorite are dark red kidney beans

edit: and add cumin at the end, you get more flavor than if you cook it with the beans the whole time

Hell Yeah fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 2, 2014

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Arus posted:

Make all the boiled beans at the start of the week. Seal them in airtight containers in the fridge. Then, each day, make a daal of some sort. Daal tarka takes 6 minutes if the beans are already cooked.

Also, pressure cooker.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Christmas Miracle posted:

edit: and add cumin at the end, you get more flavor than if you cook it with the beans the whole time

I disagree. If you don't grind the cumin (just toast it), it permeates the beans as they cook. I much prefer this to grinding it and adding it to the end.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I disagree. If you don't grind the cumin (just toast it), it permeates the beans as they cook. I much prefer this to grinding it and adding it to the end.

i never had good luck adding it at the beginning. especially when you grind your own cumin, there was a whole bunch of aromas that seemed to dissipate if i cooked the cumin with the beans the whole time, or at least that's my experience.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I always add more freshly-ground cumin towards the end of the cooking for thing like daal and beans, I let some simmer (usually whole) along too. Then again I loving looooove cumin.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
You need to pop the cumin in hot fat for the flavour to come through nicely. Then everything doesn't taste all monotone. You get little bursts of cumin every time you bite into a seed, and the oils permeate throughout the dish.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Making a kind of tadka for just, you know, ordinary beans is a pretty neat trick, come to think of it. I've done it a couple of times, why not always I can't really answer. Basically just about half a cup of scorching lard or oil seasoned pretty heavily stirred into the beans at the end right before it's served: cumin seeds, paprika, ground coriander, parsley, chilies, tomato, garlic, bay leaf, coarse ground black pepper, finely chopped onions...(Italians even call a ragů that's had some extra lard with onions and garlic stirred into it right before serving "lardiato". It's a great trick for any cuisine, really.)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

dino. posted:

You need to pop the cumin in hot fat for the flavour to come through nicely. Then everything doesn't taste all monotone. You get little bursts of cumin every time you bite into a seed, and the oils permeate throughout the dish.

I actually like the seeds, is the thing.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
A garbanzo recipe that I couldn't possibly give enough love.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I set my New England stubborn-headedness aside and made Alton Brown's baked bean recipe, last night. It is a solid KISS recipe with enough spice to ward of your average Northerner but keep yourself happy. Scale the bacon back a bit, though, because a whole pound made me cringe and my wallet upset. A half pound would do you fine. And a crock pot would work as well as cast iron in an overnight oven.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I made this for lunch today, and it is fantastic. Cheap, easy, and delicious.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

The Grapist posted:

This recipe right here will change your bean making life: http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2009/06/90-minute-no-soak-beans.html

No soak, approximately 90 minutes total. I've used this many times on black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans. Works every time. Larger beans might need a few minutes extra cooking time.

i have used this recipe on black beans and on kidney beans and it turned out amazing every time. the only difference was that i rinsed the beans in a strainer and boiled the beans a few minutes before putting them in the oven. kidney beans took like 90 minutes to get right, black beans were more like 70 mins.
really amazing recipe. you guys should try it

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I want to thank this thread for getting me to try pinto beans. I hadn't cooked with them previously, and now sticking a bunch of them in the slow-cooker before I leave for work and frying them up in the evening with cumin, bacon and onions to have with rice is a stock meal for me, as well as being far tastier than something so cheap and low-effort has any right to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I'm gonna necro this thread because legumes own bones.

PatMarshall posted:

Beans are my go to meal most days: cheap, nutritious, and delicious.

When I get tired of my usual recipes, I like to make Caribbean style peas and rice for a change of pace:

Ingredients:
1 can of coconut milk
1 14oz can of pigeon peas or kidney beans (if I was a real dude, I would cook from dry, but :effort:)
1 and 1/2 cups long grain rice, well rinsed
1 medium onion, chopped
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and lightly crushed beneath your knife or a heavy pan
3-4 sprigs of thyme
1-2 scotch bonnet or habanero chiles (or your favorite chile if you can't find these)
A few allspice berries, crushed (optional)
chopped scallions to garnish

Saute the onion in your favorite fat until tender and translucent, add the ginger and chiles and cook for two more minutes, then remove from heat. Add the coconut milk and 1 and 1/2 cups of water and place back on low heat. Add allspice, thyme, beans, and rice. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook 18 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit covered for five minutes (don't peek!). Remove chiles, thyme, and ginger, then stir through scallions and serve. Feel free to eat the reserved chiles, but be careful, scotch bonnets don't play around!

edit: I forgot to mention, drain the beans if you use canned, and don't forget to season to taste with salt and pepper, bearing in mind that canned beans are often pretty salty already.

I made this tonight. I started off with a cup of dried and brined kidney beans and some skinned, bone in chicken thighs in the pressure cooker. Once that was done I shredded the meat and tossed it into the rice with the beans, and I used the cooking liquid from the pressure cooker in place of the 1.5 cups of water. I also added in garlic with the fresh ginger, and I mixed in a bunch of barely sauteed kale at the end.

It was really loving delicious and It made 3 huge meals by itself, and it easily would be 4-5 meals if you ate anything along with it. The chicken could probably be replaced by any other cheap meat, and the kale by other greens like spinach or mustard greens, and maybe broccoli as well. I think the whole thing cost maybe $6?

• Locked thread