Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

No loving way. I'm definitely trying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I have a little bit of a hard time with Spam after this.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Yes, but to carry that onwards, we should all be sitting naked in an empty room, given that our clothes and consumer goods are made by people in worse conditions for vastly less recompense. Much worse. Be aware of where your food comes from, and under what conditions, but keep politics out of the kitchen.

I don't think it's necessarily an all or nothing thing. Of course no producer you buy from is going to be perfect. That doesn't mean you can't try to minimize your support of companies you know to have really crappy practices (again, key word being minimize, not 100% eliminate) and make an effort to support ones you feel to be more responsible. Just because you can't necessarily get Joel Salatin's Ideal Egg TM at your grocery store doesn't mean you just throw up your hands and say I might as well buy the cheapest, shittiest, battery farmed eggs I can. Anyway, it's kind of a derail so I apologize for bringing it up in the first place.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Eh, as someone who owns one and uses it for legumes, it's convenient but I don't think it's necessary. I don't think there's any difference in quality between beans I've soaked overnight and cooked gently in a plain old pot on the stovetop vs the ones in the pressure cooker. That being said, it does let me go from unsoaked beans to cooked in about 30 minutes, so being able to laze out on planning is a nice cushion to have. Up to you whether that's worth the money and cupboard space for a pressure cooker.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Both sugar and acid will increase the amount of time it takes for legumes to soften. It's also why if you're trying to simmer something like apples for apple sauce, you add the sugar after they're soft because otherwise they'll take longer to break down. Conversely, adding sugar from the start helps them to maintain their structure if you're going for poached fruit or something like that.

You can get around this by seasoning at the end instead of at the beginning. Of course, the seasoning won't have penetrated throughout the beans at that point, so for optimal results you'd want to cool them in the liquid and rest overnight (which usually will noticeably improve any beans).

Thoht fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 4, 2015

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

I did get to work with them once and I will say they are some drat nice beans. Probably not worth the price for me personally, but still.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Usually I just cook the beans plain and make sure to season generously with salt, a little bit of mustard, and brown sugar. You don't want it to be sweet (unless you're doing some baked beans style thing) but using some sugar will really make the beans' flavor pop.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Out of curiosity, why not?

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Egorger Le Chef posted:

I love beans. I've been eating them daily lately. I just throw some beans in a pot of salted water for a bit, then add some garlic onion, thyme and stuff. I don't soak them, and they are always done in around 90 minutes. Should I soak them? I probably wont because I'm lazy, but would they taste better?

I like to mix some red, black and pinto beans in the same pot. Am I breaking some culinary rule? I feel like the combo is better than just the individual beans alone.

If you like how they come out, who cares. I sometimes have problems with uneven doneness inside the beans if I don't soak (I want them creamy all the way through but not falling apart) unless I use the pressure cooker. My only worry with mixing the beans like that is they might finish cooking at different times, leading some to be over and others under.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Kosher salt is actually less dense than table salt, so generally you need to use more of it, not less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

That's correct.

• Locked thread