Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

If you're a beans newbie, you should be able to find a bag of a 10, 12, or 15 'bean mix'. You'll get a bunch of different kinds of beans, and there's a recipe on the back. It's basically 'boil the beans forever and add some chopped up veg' but for as simple as it is, it's pretty good. You might find your favorite bean!

(Goya brand is only like $2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

deadly_pudding posted:

These bean mixes are really good. At my house, we like to pre-cook these on the stove, and then throw them in a crock pot with some ham chunks, vegetable stock, onion, garlic, and cilantro. It makes an incredible soup to come home from work to.

Yes, cooking your beans with a hambone or just adding chunks of sweet delicious ham is an awesome combination.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Arus posted:

I just bought loads of lentils and beans (red, black, garbanzo) at the market and I'm trying to find something to do with them other than making soups. Does anyone have any good recipes that use curry? I don't eat pork or beef so I'm limited to what I can make with them.

You can make dal with the lentils. Start with a recipe like this:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/red_lentil_dal/

Basically boil the fuckers and then mix with a sauteed combination of onions/garlic/tomato and 'indian' spices. I add serranos to it's like hot spicy crack, in paste form. You can add more water or cream depending on how you like it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My mom made bean soup with the hambone from Christmas on Sunday. It was good.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Crazyeyes posted:

Nearly every recipe I have seen here, while looking delicious, seems more oriented towards a side dish than main course. I love beans and want to know more. Please advise.

Do the mexican trick of eating beans with tortillas, the tortillas will fill you up.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Crazyeyes posted:

So I've tried making baked beans several times and the beans always come out hard and crunchy. What can affect beans cooking? These bastards sit on the heat for like 6 hours and they are the consistency of peanuts. I've tried a few different kinds of beans as well.

You can just used canned/jarred beans if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, literally nobody in town has kidney beans in bulk.

Thank you, Prime, for giving me free shipping on 16 pounds of beans at $1.75/lb :getin:

Sam's club has 7lb cans of beans.

• Locked thread