Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Beans are a great source of fiber, protein, and hot, painful farts. They can also taste really good and be filling. This thread is about cooking beans for the beans. Eating the beans with a spoon, not splashed into a chili or crammed into a burrito. Let your beans hang loose.

Here's the recipe that got me interested in beans. It's from my Texan step-dad's family cookbook. I want to share it because it makes drat good beans.

Family Cookbook posted:

Southwestern Beans
Linda W.

1 16-oz. pkg. dried pinto beans
6 C. water
1 meaty ham bone
2 med. onions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 10-oz. can tomatoes with chilies, chopped and undrained
2 tsp. brown sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. dried whole basil
1 tsp. dried whole oregano
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried whole thyme
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
Dash ground red pepper
2 bay leaves

Sort and wash beans; place in a Dutch oven. Cover with water 2" above beans, and bring to a boil; cover and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and let stand 1 hour. Drain beans, and return to Dutch oven. Add 6 cups water, ham bone, and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 2 hours or until beans are tender. Remove ham hock and bay leaves. Cut ham from hock; chop. Return ham to beans. Yield: 8 servings.

The above makes some :krad: beans. Let those beans boil for a few hours longer, let them turn to mush, and you have a sophisticated bean dip.

I dug out the cookbook for this thread. I haven't looked at that in a while and my own bean recipe has mutated a bit since I started using this recipe for the cook.

Here's what I'm doing with beans. It's a little faster because it uses a pressure cooker. Also, check out this garlic peeling video to save some time on my garlic-heavy recipe (Shaking method): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc7w_PGSt9Y (this works with any combination of very-smooth-walled vessels.)

Measurements are approximate.

I posted:

Ol' Beans
Juice Box Hero

1 lb dry pinto or eye of the goat beans
4 C chicken stock, low sodium
2.5 C water
1 white or yellow onion, large or medium, chopped
1 red onion, large or medium, chopped
4 oz. salt pork, sliced to matchsticks
1 head garlic, peeled & chopped
1/4 C. Maple Syrup, Agave Nectar, or Brown Sugar
2 T. olive oil
1 T., heaping, cocoa powder
1 T., heaping, red chili powder (Cayenne, Tikhalal, whatever you got as long as it's spicy. Use less if you don't like them hot)
1 T., heaping, sweet paprika
1 T., heaping, ground cumin
1 T. red pepper flake
1 T. ground coriander
1 T. oregano
1 t. smoked paprika
2 bay leaves
Edit: Salt and Pepper, of course, to your taste and personal S&P philosophy. I usually throw about 1 T of kosher salt with the onions, and 1 T fresh cracked pepper with 'everything else'.

Heat olive oil to med. in open pressure cooker. Add onions and salt pork, cook until lightly browned, 10-20 mins. Add all other ingredients, pressure cook for three hours. Release pressure, simmer until pot liquor is thick enough to stick to back of spoon. Serve hot or (preferably) refigerate overnight and reheat for extra good flavor. 'Garnish' with a dollop of cold sour cream and some fresh cold chopped red onion for something really special.

Here are some beans I cooked for too long. They're too thick but they taste pretty good.

Here are some beans I think are interesting!
The humble Pinto. Cheap, filling, delicious. A true cowboy staple. Poor man's Eye of the Goat.

Eye of the Goat. Rich man's pinto. Firmer, meatier than a pinto. Holds up to very long cooking times. Popular in California.

Black Calypso (aka Orca) - it's said that is has a potato-like flavor. Purveyor Rancho Gordo recommends a simple preparation with pancetta and sage.

Flageolet. Some french bean or something. Heck if I know!

These places are where I've been buying my beans. The stuff I can't find at the grocer, I mean:
http://www.purcellmountainfarms.com/Dried%20Beans.htm (Amazing selection. It's like a bean museum)
http://www.ranchogordo.com/ (Often out of stock, but they have some cool stuff and it's guaranteed fresh, latest harvest I believe)

Let's talk about cooking mains or sides where the beans are the star ingredient. Stuff like:
Bean soups
Rice and beans
Pork and beans
Beans and greens

Peas and lentils and corn and whatever other ingredients can sub for beans or require a bean-like preparation are also welcome.
Beans are good as heck.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Part toot:
So you want to cook a bean but you don't have enough vacation time to simmer it to completion? Get a pressure cooker! Speed that poo poo up using sorcery. Pressure cookers are good for all sorts of things. There's a great thread about it here.

RECIPES!

Carribean-Style Peas and Rice by PatMarshall

Georgian Lobio Salad by TapTheForwardAssist

Piyaz (Persian Bean Salad With Onion) by TapTheForwardAssist

Borracho Beans by Rick Bayless, via GrAviTy84

Black-Eyed Pea and Kale Ragout, a.k.a. French Hoppin' John by Jacques Pépin, via Butch Cassidy and Rand alPaul

Hot Jumping Beans by Justin Bieber and Rascal Flatts

Red Beans and Rice by Chuck Taggart, via TychoCelchuuu

Cajun-Style Red Beans and Rice with Pancetta!! by Hollismason

Sweet Potato & Coconut Dhal by Butch Cassidy

Lentil Dal by simplyrecipes, via Bob Morales.

Chole/Chana/Indian Chickpeas by SymmetryrtemmyS

Dal from the GWS wiki, via SymmetryrtemmyS

Lazy Pongal (Lentils and Rice) by dino.

Hoppin' John by SymmetryrtemmyS

Bean Soup by wormil

Cajun Pinto Beans by Mama Ozzy's Table via wormil

Pressure Cooker Santa Maria Pot Beans by SymmetryrtemmyS

New Orleans Style Red Beans and Rice from the GWS wiki via The Midniter

The Lazy Cook's Black Beans by Serious Eats via Butch Cassidy

Bean Thing by Pham Nuwen

Alton's The Once and Future Beans via Laminator and 22 Eargesplitten

90 Minute No-Soak Pintos by thepauperedchef.com via CommonShore

The Wren's Mexican/Jamaican Black Beans via saints gambit

Burrito Truck-Style Pintos by coyo7e

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 27, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Featured Creature posted:

Do black eyed peas count? I love some Jamaican food.. Peas and rice are so delicious. Saute an onion, ginger, garlic (tons of garlic), and some good chili peppers. Add dried black eyed peas, cumin, allspice, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover with coconut milk and simmer until the peas are done. If you have any on hand throw in some goat meat and let it cook with the peas. Serve over long grain rice. I have been doing brown basmati rice a lot lately. So incredibly good.

Black eyed peas do count! I didn't know until recently that their short cooking time contributed to their rise in popularity (e: and their being called "peas"). I think I heard that on NPR or something.

These coconut milk bean recipes have me intrigued.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 10, 2013

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Butch Cassidy posted:

Are we counting dried peas in here for diversity or just beans? Because I made some awesome sweet potato dhal with yellow peas the other night.

Yeah man rock on with peas, lentils, dried corn. Tell us about the dhal, if you peas. :haw:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I love my pressure cooker with all my heart and the only thing I regret about owning it is that I am not creative/motivated enough to find a use for it every day.

On top of that, it does amazing time warp poo poo to beans.

Get a pressure cooker but take your time, do your research, and wait for a sale.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Start with a salad and serve your beans on a big flat soup bowl. Find a nice garnish like raw diced pepper or something. Just shootin' from the hip here.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Crazyeyes posted:

So I've tried making baked beans several times and the beans always come out hard and crunchy. What can affect beans cooking? These bastards sit on the heat for like 6 hours and they are the consistency of peanuts. I've tried a few different kinds of beans as well.

Hmm I'm not an expert but immediate thoughts are:

Try pre-soaking overnight
Make sure there's enough liquid in the soak and the cooking pot
Cook them longer
Find a different bean source. Maybe they're super old.
Don't salt them until a couple hours in. This is wives-tale advice, though.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, literally nobody in town has kidney beans in bulk.

Thank you, Prime, for giving me free shipping on 16 pounds of beans at $1.75/lb :getin:

That is a lot of beans.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I've never been able to make black beans taste like anything. My guess is that in restaurants where they taste really good, you're probably eating mostly pork fat with a couple beans dropped in

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Hey, this thread is still alive!

BEAN GIVEAWAY IT'S OVER

I'm a member of the Rancho Gordo bean club, which means I get five pounds of beans and a surprise gift every quarter. I can't eat all these beans by myself, and I'm too stupid to give up my membership in this (actually somewhat exclusive) bean club, so I'm giving away a chunk of my hoard.

We're going to start with this lot:

I'll cross these off as they're claimed.
  • Large White Lima Test Pattern
  • Cassoulet - G. IN CT (EMAIL ONLY)
  • Corona - EvilLile
  • Corona - Mr. Wiggles
  • Marcella - G IN CT (EMAIL ONLY)
  • Midnight - Crazyeyes
  • Ayocote Blanco - EvilLile
  • Alubia Blanca - Big Centipede
  • Garbanzo - Suspect Bucket
  • Garbanzo - MonkeyBot
  • Ayocote Negro - Big Centipede
  • Vaquero - Crazyeyes
  • Cranberry - SymmetryrtemmyS
  • Cranberry - MonkeyBot

Non-Beans
  • Popping corn - Suspect Bucket
  • Quinoa - SymmetryrtemmyS

Claim one or two bags in this thread. PM me your address (continental US only, please), and I'll send beans out to you for free. If you don't have PMs, email [removed]. Some of these beans might be up to 2 years old, but that's apparently not very old compared to what you can find at your grocery.

If this goes smoothly I'll probably give away some more in a later post.

If you get some beans, it would be cool if you post something about what you used them for. A recipe, pics, a review, whatever. You don't have to, but it would be cool.

Also, one lucky bean buddy will receive a mystery gift, also from Rancho Gordo.

Don't ask me about these beans - I know as much as you do. I get them in the mail and sometimes the heirloom varieties have no info about them on the internet. Use your best judgment in preparing - and hey, if you mess 'em up, at least they were free!

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 27, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

I'm sorry, my maple-scented friend! It's way more expensive to ship across the imaginary line than any of these beanbags are worth.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Roger those two requests. I added an email address for those without PMs.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 15, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
OK! The beans are distributed and packaged. Some even shipped today!
The giveaway post has been updated.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592735&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post455434206

I went in chronological order of request receipt and satisfied almost everybody, I THINK.

Test Pattern and TheQuietWilds, I couldn't give you what you asked for but I am sending you each some mystery beans.
E: Midniter, you also get mystery beans.

If I messed anything up, I'm sorry! I didn't intentionally stiff anybody.

Thanks for playing!

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 27, 2016

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Test Pattern posted:

MYSTERY BEANS (Not actually a mystery apparently I'm getting Limas, which I never liked as a child, but I'm excited to make them myself and not have them be mealy poo poo out of the freezer.) Thanks!

Well, because I know you didn't want limas (and I didnt like them as a kid either) you are receiving an additional bag of mystery beans.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I'm going to ship the majority of the beans on Saturday. Sorry for the delay. If you didn't get yours today, you'll get them next week.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Suspect Bucket posted:

Holy crap, you sprung for the GOOD shipping. I got mine already! Now to make a fresh batch of candied grapefruit...

No rush m8.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Test Pattern posted:

Wow thanks! I'm still going to cook those limas and report, because I last ate them as a literal child, "cooked" from frozen by a woman who believes that long stewing "makes all the bad stuff come out".

I thought I remembered reading something from RG on the matter, and have confirmed:

http://www.ranchogordo.com/products/large-white-lima-beans

quote:

Good, new crop Limas (like ours!) are worthy of your attention, especially if you grew up eating those nasty frozen beans, under pressure from your dear old mom. Chances are she over cooked them.

So, they know everyone hates lima beans for the same reason. You may be receiving the best surprise of all the beans, I guess (don't set your expecations too high), but I do not know how old the beans are, exactly.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Big Centipede posted:

Got my beans today, not sure what I'm gonna do with them yet though

Eat 'em

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
No problem, guys! Thanks for helping me clean out my pantry without wasting everything.

redweird posted:

It's pretty tasty! So much ham in it though. I had it this morning with an egg and a slice of buttered toast.

I love beans and toast. Beans, toast, and some small charred tomatoes. And hot sauce. And poached eggs. If I could wake up early enough every day I'd probably have a full English bfast and skip every other meal.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

The Midniter posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that I ended up cooking the beans you sent me last night. Soaked them overnight, simmered them with a halved onion and some garlic, took about 2 hours start to finish before they were tender and delicious. When they were almost done I sauteed some squash, zucchini, onion and garlic, mashed up a can of whole fire roasted tomatoes and tossed that in there, then combined them all with a bunch of cumin, cayenne, black pepper, and some salt to taste. It was an insanely delicious vegan southwest stew of sorts, and the beans were the star. This makes me want to cook more dried beans rather than use the canned variety all the time.

Thanks again, Number 1 Sexy Dad!

:feelsgood:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Eeyo posted:

Anyone else have a problem with a range of textures in cooked beans? I've been pressure cooking mine from dry. I just did pintos and the vast majority are perfectly cooked, but quite a few are not really at all. Could it just be my stove giving terrible hot spots/not big enough? Or is there a decent amount of natural variation in beans? I've got a stainless pressure cooker so I've been contemplating getting an induction burner. Do pressure cookers play nice with that?

It should not be your stove or pot / cooker. I'd guess you've got exceptionally old beans or you're cooking them just to borderline doneness or youre using too little liquid so when some of it get absorbed or evaporates, the beans on top are no longer submerged.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
A couple weekends ago I used up all my old chicken spines and wingtips making a heavy-duty stock, then I used some of the stock as the main liquid in some small heirloom red beans whose variety I cannot remember. The beans owned and my house also smelled good. Cook some beans.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
A few years ago I had a really good chickpea salad with little pieces of pepper and onion and maybe there was some herb and a citrus element. It had a nice but indistinct dressing and the beans were nice and creamy. It was part of an airplane meal, ironically. Anybody have a favorite chickpea salad recipe?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Thanks for all the responses, guys. I'll add them to the OP recipe directory some time.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Egorger Le Chef posted:

To prepare for the hurricane, I'm cooking a huge pot of beans.

Sounds like a solid plan.

Make sure to save some dry beans as currency for an inescapable florida apocalypse scenario

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I've eaten beans for a little longer than a week without seeing/smelling/experiencing any problems. You could also save portions of cooked beans by freezing them probably.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

QuarkMartial posted:

I'm skimming throughout the thread, but anyone have recommendations for beans to make for burritos?

Maybe something I could make for a meal with cornbread and then put in burritos later?

I think you might be looking for something like the first beans recipe in the OP or the borracho beans in the 2nd post.
Note that It's economical to cook a big batch and then freeze portions for later.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Whoops, sorry for the late reply. Good question - I think the original recipe probably called for regular salt, as it was written when men were men and salt was salt and all that.

Glad to hear it turned out good! My step dad will be proud to know that his family recipe made it all the way across the internet and onto a stranger's plate.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I made way too many beans last night because I forgot how they pretty much double in size. I'm thinking of making refried beans. If I have cilantro rice and refried beans cooked with bacon grease, is there a good cheap extra protein if I end up wanting it?

I would think pretty much anything would work. Shrimp, chicken, shredded pork, shredded beef?

You could also freeze some. I freeze mine in cubes so they're easy to portion later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
i had some kind of chat garbanzos for lunch today and it was good as hell.
Garbanzo beans are great.

• Locked thread