Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Nearly every recipe I have seen here, while looking delicious, seems more oriented towards a side dish than main course. I love beans and want to know more. Please advise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Making this for lunch(es) next week. Looks glorious.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

wormil posted:

Add cornbread -- voilą, instant main course.

I feel like if I add cornbread I have suddenly just made weird chili.

I think I need to lighten up if I'm gonna be getting down with the bean team.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Making the red beans and rice. Paranoid as hell I don't have enough liquid in there but gonna let it ride and pray.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I added some slices of squash and andouille to that Santa Maria beans recipe, thickened it with a little roux, added more stock, and made it a soup once. You can do something similar with a lot of these recipes, or serve them over rice/bread.

I'll be putting it over rice, probably. Everything is better over rice.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

My beans were no joke. I threw in 4 ham-hocks for the smoke and shredded them near the end. The whole dish was incredibly flavorful and robust. Thanks for convincing me to give it a shot, folks.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

So I've tried making baked beans several times and the beans always come out hard and crunchy. What can affect beans cooking? These bastards sit on the heat for like 6 hours and they are the consistency of peanuts. I've tried a few different kinds of beans as well.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are bulk kidney beans something I should be able to find locally?

Find a market that Hispanics visit frequently and live near. Go there and they will likely have bulk dried kidney beans among other fantastic products.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay. That was my next step for trying locally, but I wasn't sure kidney beans were a Mexican food thing or if they would just have pinto and black.

Pretty much any ethnic market will have a wide variety of beans. Kidneys will be among them.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

That is a lot an insane amount of beans.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm also planning on putting at least that much back as pork shoulder, because the dish I'm trying to replicate had pulled pork in it too. I've still got a lot of pork shoulder in the freezer, and I can only eat chili so many meals in a row.

Not in the spirit of the thread, but extra pulled pork is great in congee as well. Highly recommend checking that out.

Also tacos/burritos/quesadillas...

Also salads...

With/in eggs, particularly omelettes...

Piled on top of a burger...

As a stand alone pulled pork sandwich...

What I'm trying to say is pulled pork is a pretty versatile food that's good when combined with any situation that ends with it in your mouth.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If you add something super acidic to dried beans before they soften they will never soften and be tough. Same if you add sugars before softening. As such I am suspicious of this Orange juice thing. Throwing them in after the fact, sure. But while cooking?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

The lazy cook's black beans on Serious Eats are delicious and as :effort: as food can get:

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/the-lazy-cooks-black-beans-easy-recipe.html

I made this last night. Found it to be very lackluster(but the beans DID soften!). Just not a whole lot going on in it flavor wise.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If you buy dried beans and can them yourself you have the best of both worlds, I think. That's something I'm looking into, at least.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Hey, this thread is still alive!

:siren: BEAN GIVEAWAY :siren:

• Midnight
  • Vaquero

These please

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

OK! The beans are distributed and packaged. Some even shipped today!
The giveaway post has been updated.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592735&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post455434206

I went in chronological order of request receipt and satisfied almost everybody, I THINK.

Test Pattern and TheQuietWilds, I couldn't give you what you asked for but I am sending you each some mystery beans.
E: Midniter, you also get mystery beans.

If I messed anything up, I'm sorry! I didn't intentionally stiff anybody.

Thanks for playing!

You're doing God's work, my friend.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Got my beans not sure what I'm gonna do with them yet, but it's gonna be good.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Just wanted to share that I am making the GWS New Orleans Red Beans and Rice and my condo smells amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Some of the beans burned to the bottom of my dutch oven :(

• Locked thread