Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Crazyeyes posted:

My beans were no joke. I threw in 4 ham-hocks for the smoke and shredded them near the end. The whole dish was incredibly flavorful and robust. Thanks for convincing me to give it a shot, folks.

I'm jealous. For some reason, when I made that recipe, the beans just would not cook right. Thinking about it still makes me nauseous. The sausage I used was pretty bad too.

I asked in the General Questions thread, but does anyone have a recipe for the sweeter kind of baked beans? Boston baked beans are good, but I'm still trying to find a recipe like the one a local creole place has, and they were sweeter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, I think I'll make that later this week. I want to use some leftover pork shoulder, though. Would that work?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Would ends and pieces work for this, if I decide that I want to use bacon? I mean, I figure I'm going to be chopping them up anyway.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are bulk kidney beans something I should be able to find locally?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. That was my next step for trying locally, but I wasn't sure kidney beans were a Mexican food thing or if they would just have pinto and black.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'd try it for whichever variety of cattle beans Serious Eats said to use for hoppin' john. But that's a special occasion thing. And they don't have that variety anyway.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, literally nobody in town has kidney beans in bulk.

Thank you, Prime, for giving me free shipping on 16 pounds of beans at $1.75/lb :getin:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Eeyo posted:

When I was in New Mexico, my local grocery would stock 10lb bags of pintos. Probably not too much if your'e feeding a family or are going all in on a rice n' bean diet.

The Costco here has 25 pound bags of pinto beans. I prefer black or read beans, though.

My fiancee is on an expensive diet (I'd be mad, but she's lost almost 30 pounds in two months), which means I'm on a cheap diet. I'm trying to make at least one big crock pot dish a week with beans and cheap meat for lunches and lazy dinners. At my local store kidney beans are like $3.50-4 for a one pound bag. I'll probably be through these in 4-5 months.

How do I properly store beans? Cool dry place? I can do dry, but not cool this summer.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Laminator posted:

Try Alton Brown's recipe, it's legit. You do have to cook the beans for like 8 hours or something. I don't remember how sweet they were, but you could always add more molasses or some honey if it's not to your tastes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe.html

Making this recipe in the next few days, but I don't have a Dutch over. Should I put the bacon/onion/jalapenos in the crock pot before mixing in the paste, brown sugar, and molasses?

I'm also using kidney beans. Do I need to soak them for longer, since they are bigger?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 9, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, sounds good. I just wasn't sure if it would take longer to get water into the inside of the beans when they are like twice the size.

I'm planning on reducing the bacon by half. There's a butcher near me that has local hickory smoked bacon for barely more than grocery store bacon, so I'll pick up a half pound for the beans and a half pound for breakfast on Saturday.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm also planning on putting at least that much back as pork shoulder, because the dish I'm trying to replicate had pulled pork in it too. I've still got a lot of pork shoulder in the freezer, and I can only eat chili so many meals in a row.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Tomatoes are fairly acidic, aren't they? Should I cook the beans without tomatoes for about half the time, and then mix in the tomatoes?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Cook the beans without the tomatoes until the beans are cooked.

So like 6-8 hours? And then put in the tomatoes for an hour or 2?I'm going to be doing beans again in a few days. These didn't get as soft as I would like. Are jalapeños, onions, vegetable broth, molasses, or brown sugar acidic?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Huh. I was making this: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe.html

It says to soak them, and I was putting them in a crockpot.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm convinced, but I don't have a Dutch oven. I have an aluminum stock pot, and that's it. I also have some beans soaking already. Is it possible to do something similar with soaked beans, or should I just crockpot cook them and add the sauce afterward?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Seconding that question. I live at just shy of 5000 feet.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

When you say a lot, how much are we talking? I would really like to have tender beans for once.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Anyone have a recommendation for beans to make with either chicken breast or pork tenderloin? I have like 13 pounds of beans left that I want to keep eating because they've got a pretty good macro split and high fiber, but my wife doesn't like the smell of the baked beans I normally make. I also want to do something that isn't so high in sodium. I'm probably going to put them over rice to fill them out even more.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Do you have any recipe you like? I see a bunch of different styles just googling for it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I made way too many beans last night because I forgot how they pretty much double in size. I'm thinking of making refried beans. If I have cilantro rice and refried beans cooked with bacon grease, is there a good cheap extra protein if I end up wanting it?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not sure if it's too late, but these are amazing. I cut down to 1 jalapeno, though. Still got a decent amount of spice for someone that isn't huge on spice

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe.html

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Like I said, I'm not big on spicy. One gives it flavor and a bit of heat. Two was uncomfortable for me but probably would be fine for most people here.

Baked beans generally aren't spicy, not even in soul food. I thought it was worth a mention.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

IIRC I might have left a lot of the pith the first time, that might be part of it. The pith is hotter than the body too, right?

• Locked thread