Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I microplane ginger sometimes. I like to freeze it (so it doesn't go bad) and then it's pretty easy to just grate frozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anybody ever made mayacoba/peruano beans? What's the closest bean in terms of cooking time (I'd probably pressure cook it)? I heard they make good refried beans which is why I got them.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Are you adding in a bunch of stuff before cooking? Anything sour can significantly affect cooking time. I think molasses is acidic to some extent, and if there's any vinegar in the baked beans that could slow them down as well. Or were you trying to cook the beans first and then dress them with sauce and bake them?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I'm guessing pork shoulder has less fat than the bacon. That said, pork and beans is a thing for a reason so just throw it in there with however much bacon/salt pork/whatever you'd like.

That said, pork shoulder would be very much at home in a cassoulet, which I know is not american baked beans, but is good nonetheless. However cassoulet sometime has sausage in it (watch this be the french version of beans in chili).

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

When I was in New Mexico, my local grocery would stock 10lb bags of pintos. Probably not too much if your'e feeding a family or are going all in on a rice n' bean diet.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

When my parents visited me in NM for the Balloon Festival my dad bought a bag of 'Anasazi' beans from a guy by the Taos Gorge. They're very pretty:

I'm cooking them tomorrow morning, will report on gorge guy's beans.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anyone else have a problem with a range of textures in cooked beans? I've been pressure cooking mine from dry. I just did pintos and the vast majority are perfectly cooked, but quite a few are not really at all. Could it just be my stove giving terrible hot spots/not big enough? Or is there a decent amount of natural variation in beans? I've got a stainless pressure cooker so I've been contemplating getting an induction burner. Do pressure cookers play nice with that?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

It's probably a mix of old/cheap and not enough cooking. Miraculously none of them had burst so it may have been too little cooking. Plenty of water - there was still a good layer on top when I opened them up.

I bought them at Aldi for like $1.50 for 2lb so maybe there's a limit to how good I can do.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jewel Repetition posted:

Does anyone know why, when I cook pinto beans (usually after 24 hours of soaking) the water turns dark opaque gray, develops skin on the surface, and smells like poo poo?

Did you give them a good washing and pick out bad ones? Beans can be pretty dirty (like literal dirt from processing and stuff like that). And occasionally you get some that have gone bad or a pebble.

When I'd soak beans overnight and then run out of time to cook them or got lazy, I'd just put then in the fridge after the first 12 hrs or so. That way they won't start going too crazy. Couldn't hurt to change the water as well.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jewel Repetition posted:

Thanks. I don't know if it was the beans or something else, but I had one of those nights where I'm in a pitch black bathroom, sitting directly on the toilet bowl, completely naked, broke out in a cold sweat, hoping I never see another human being again.

First time on bath salts, then?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Cooked beans go bad faster than other stuff? How long does a container of cooked beans last? I push them for a while but I didn't think they were much more perishable than, say, rice or something.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Are you bringing the beans to a rolling boil for at least 10 minutes 30 minutes or so? If you're cooking them in a slow cooker at low heat, then the beans could still have some toxins. Only high heat can destroy them.

I would guess 2 hours could be enough if the beans had toxins present, but probably too short for infection to set in.

I'd buy new beans, since there's a history of misfortune so you might as well play it safe.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Well it could be the toxins, apparently it's 30 minutes at 100 C you need to destroy it. So if it was sub-boiling and a little undercooked it might just be that. Symptoms appear within a few hours, are gastrointestinal, and last for a few hours after that apparently. So maybe you got a crop of poorly grown beans that contained a lot of them to start with, and they didn't get cooked well enough. For red kidney beans, which contain a lot of the Phytohaemagglutnin, apparently you can get sick with half a dozen beans.

• Locked thread