Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You can buy dried Spaetzle and other egg noodle in the USA typically in the 'Kosher' section of the big supermarket chains, but Cost Plus World Market carries actual dried Spaetzle.

It's not as good. Just make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timmo
May 29, 2004
Anyone have a good schwenkbraten recipe?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

d3rt posted:

You can buy dried Spaetzle and other egg noodle in the USA typically in the 'Kosher' section of the big supermarket chains, but Cost Plus World Market carries actual dried Spaetzle.

It's not as good. Just make it.

I've had dried Spaetzle from Cost Plus World Market. It's not very good. Just make it.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Does anyone have a good recipe for Schweinshaxe?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

branedotorg posted:

Does anyone have a good recipe for Schweinshaxe?

it's super easy, you basically don't even need a recipe.

get some meaty pork shanks, salt the everliving gently caress out of them overnight/24 hours (add some sugar too), boil them with some pickling spices for a couple hours until almost falling off the bone, dry them off, then throw in a hot oven for an hour or two to get the skin crispy and brown. serve with mustard.

edit : this looks fine too, but involves pounds of lard http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/bavarian-beer-hall-pork-shanks

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Simmer, don't boil. They'll fall apart. Beer in the simmering liquid is good. You can also bake them in the oven and finish on the grill to get the crispiness (which is, admittedly, most of the point of them in the first place).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Sjurygg posted:

Simmer, don't boil. They'll fall apart. Beer in the simmering liquid is good. You can also bake them in the oven and finish on the grill to get the crispiness (which is, admittedly, most of the point of them in the first place).

man is right on all points

was being careless with my 'you don't even need a recipe' fogettaboutitt-kid attitude. details matter with something so simple.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only reason I can claim to do any German cooking is thanks to a cookbook I picked up last year, 'The German Cookbook' by Mimi Sheraton. There's all sorts of recipes in there, some a bit antiquated (like beef brain or turtle soup, which I would totally try from a reputable restaurant), but there is a wide variety of recipes from one pot meals (Eintopgerchte), soups, roasts, sausages, salads, all sorts of good stuff. It is from the '60s.

Most people in the US haven't had proper sauerkraut. We just eat it rinsed out of the jar, perhaps simmered with some butter and beer. But when I came across the recipe in this book that called for apples (green seem best) and onions to be cooked with the kraut, along with some pork stock, I was converted. Same goes for blaukraut, make it with apples, onions, bacon, and pork stock.

Pichelsteiner is one of my favorite recipes, although one I need to do a lot of work on. Schweinshaxe is great simmered for a good 3-5 hours with mirepoix and/or any of the German suppengruen (leek, carrot, parsnip, parsley root, or celeriac) is great. I like to finish it in the broiler to crisp the skin.

Pork stock is also a really good idea, it will do wonders for lots of German dishes. Shank is cheap and delicious.

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 14, 2013

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Holy crap I completely forgot that Sauerkraut was a thing.

Speck, Granny Smith apple, onion, juniper berries, bay leaf, caraway seeds. That's how my Oma prepares sauerkraut for sausages with mustard. I don't like caraway though.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

I LOVE caraway! My local bakery used to sell caraway bread rolls - still hot, spread some butter on them, perfection. Or caraway-coated Handkäse/Kochkäse! Dress it with an onion vinaigrette ("Musik"), oh god.

I can't wait to go back home for Christmas. Grünkohl with Kasseler, here I come!

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
This is probably a bit obvious but I'd still like an authentic german answer.

A while ago I was in Vienna (if it was german enough for hitler its german enough for me) and a couple of times I had potato salad and rather than being the creamy gloop you get here in the UK it was a delicious vinegary, oily affair. Does anyone have a recipe for it?

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

This is probably a bit obvious but I'd still like an authentic german answer.

A while ago I was in Vienna (if it was german enough for hitler its german enough for me) and a couple of times I had potato salad and rather than being the creamy gloop you get here in the UK it was a delicious vinegary, oily affair. Does anyone have a recipe for it?

Try looking up Bavarian potatoe salad recipes like this one. Those are made with a vinaigrette instead of mayonnaise. We love to add slices of pickled cucumbers as well.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I really like caraway too, but I feel like german cooking is the only place I see it, aside from maybe the odd indian dish.

anyone know any other prominent recipes / cuisines that make use of caraway? or maybe just even unusual german ones?

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis

mindphlux posted:

I really like caraway too, but I feel like german cooking is the only place I see it, aside from maybe the odd indian dish.

anyone know any other prominent recipes / cuisines that make use of caraway? or maybe just even unusual german ones?

I think Caraway is also associated with Scandinavian cuisine.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
My family insists on using caraway in Goulash. They rave about it. Meh. Probably made something like this http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/wolfgang-puck/wolfgangs-beef-goulash-recipe/index.html I don't make it and don't know their recipe.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 14, 2013

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Stitecin posted:

I think Caraway is also associated with Scandinavian cuisine.

Yes and akvavit is awesome :allears:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

mindphlux posted:

We boil the poo poo out of sliced cabbage with vinegar, sugar and caraway for our traditional "sour cabbage". Czech, Polish and Hungarian cuisines also use caraway, mainly for simmered dishes. It's good in rye bread, too.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

d3rt posted:

I found my mums recipe for Servietten Knödel. Very similar to Hopper's except you end up with a loaf that you slice instead of small dumplings.

Servietten Knödel

I'm going to try this sometime. I always wondered if stale bread would be any good soaked and reformed into another loaf or something, I always have leftover bread that goes to waste.

Can anyone help identify a dish that is sometimes sold when the Bavarian christmas market comes to my town? It's potatoes, onions and possibly bacon frying in a creamy looking sauce and it smells so amazing when I walk by, and I don't even like bacon. I never get to try it because I'm not standing in the freezing cold and rain eating food on the street. Recipe searches haven't been successful and when I try to make something similar at home it's just tastes and smells of bacon and onion which I'm not really in to. I feel I'm missing something.

Oh and the Leberknödel sounds very similar to the traditional british faggots: (yeah haha)
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/sep/30/faggots-recipe

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

pants cat posted:

I'm going to try this sometime. I always wondered if stale bread would be any good soaked and reformed into another loaf or something, I always have leftover bread that goes to waste.

Can anyone help identify a dish that is sometimes sold when the Bavarian christmas market comes to my town? It's potatoes, onions and possibly bacon frying in a creamy looking sauce and it smells so amazing when I walk by, and I don't even like bacon. I never get to try it because I'm not standing in the freezing cold and rain eating food on the street. Recipe searches haven't been successful and when I try to make something similar at home it's just tastes and smells of bacon and onion which I'm not really in to. I feel I'm missing something.

Probably Bauernschmauss. Basically potatoes, meat and onion fried with eggs. Here is a variant with cream:
http://www.kochbar.de/rezept/190798/Allgaeuer-Bauernschmaus.html
The recipie I am used to doesn't use cream. I would also add caraway and paprika to the spices.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

pants cat posted:

Possibly Tartiflette- French, but found anywhere on the continent that there is skiing, it seems. Lardons, rather than straight up smokey/crispy bacon and reblochon cheese. Seems to show up at the Scottish 'German' markets.

I'm in Alsace, so we're hitting the choucroute garnie and gluhwein pretty hard right now.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for the suggestions, guys. Both those recipes sound great as I'm a sucker for potato dishes. I think the dish I've seen was somewhere in the middle of those two, so I need to get cooking. :)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

pants cat posted:

Yes, absolutely! This is a common technique used in bread baking. Simply measure the weight of your old loaf, then subtract a certain amount of water from your final bulk to rehydrate it. This will kickstart yeast activity and give a really deep flavor.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
When I've made spaetzle in pro situations we've used perforated pans and rubbed the dough through the holes by hand kind of like kneading dough on a table. The same effect could be achieved with a sturdy colander and a sturdier hand.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Still on Servietten knödel chat, this looks pretty delicious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP8EAzTCWms

Also I don't know what this is called because I don't speak Deutsche but my mum used to make this as dessert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unEpNeps9V0

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 16, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

d3rt posted:

Also I don't know what this is called because I don't speak Deutsche but my mum used to make this as dessert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unEpNeps9V0

That looks like a version of a Schmarrn, which means something or other, but with the added ingredients and such it makes sense to call it a King's Schmarrn (Kaiser = king). I might make that sometime - I have some dried fruits in my pantry just begging to be used.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

King's Schmarrn (Kaiser = king).

I think you mean "Emperor"? :chef: But yes, it's delicious and you can also eat it as a sweet lunch (with vanilla sauce/custard or even applesauce).

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Zeno-25 posted:

Pichelsteiner is one of my favorite recipes, although one I need to do a lot of work on. Schweinshaxe is great simmered for a good 3-5 hours with mirepoix and/or any of the German suppengruen (leek, carrot, parsnip, parsley root, or celeriac) is great. I like to finish it in the broiler to crisp the skin.

Pork stock is also a really good idea, it will do wonders for lots of German dishes. Shank is cheap and delicious.

Thank you all for the answers. Mirepoix, hefeweizen, water and a little stock was may plan. Probably no sugar though, the root veges should give it enough.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks to this thread I made sourbraten and spaetzle the other night. It was a huge success.

However gently caress using a colander for the spaetzle. I ordered a maker off Amazon and will be giving it another go to see if it seems like a sane thing to make on the regular.

Everything came out first class; although during braising the liquid basically dried up - so next time I'm going to double liquid amounts. Rehydrating it for making sauce worked fine though.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

A while back I made some thick spätzle to go with a rich, heavy Hungarian pörkölt, using a primitive version of the board method. They turned out hella fat - they swell up a lot in the water - but the method is definitely doable for this, eh, gauge, if not for the ultra-thin, spaghetti-like ones that a true-blue Oma will whip up like it aint no thang. They were well suited to the ultra-rich über-goulash the way they turned out, in any case.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
That looks amazing, any way you could throw that porkolt recipe up on GWS?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I'll cook up some one of these days and make it step-by-step, Hungarian cooking is as much about method as about ingredients.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
It must be because I've tried making chicken paprikash before from a translated recipe and it sure as hell didn't look like it did in pictures. Tasted good enough to finish though, thankfully.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Walked posted:

Thanks to this thread I made sourbraten and spaetzle the other night. It was a huge success.

Did you put gingersnaps and raisins in the sauerbraten?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

d3rt posted:

Did you put gingersnaps and raisins in the sauerbraten?

Yes to the gingersnaps; no to raisins. But I did have juniper berries in there. Came out astoundingly well in the end.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Walked posted:

Yes to the gingersnaps.

:frogout:

I set you up in a trap. Both are gross.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So I made some simple east-prussian cabbage soup. Basically a minor modification from my grandmother's recipe, although she preferred wrising. But the store had good cabbage and only lovely wirsing.
Main ingredients: cabbage, sausages, bacon, carrots, lauch.

The important part is using the right sausages. Here I have Rauch-Mettenden, though I usual prefer Brühpolnische.
Drop everything except for the cabbage in boiling water. Wait a bit then remove scum.
Drop in sliced cabbage and the spices.

I used caraway, whole black pepper, salt, a chilli pepper and some garlic. You can also add some onions and/apples to adjust the taste.
Boil slowly for a few hours, when you can cut the bacon with a spoon it is done.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

d3rt posted:

:c00l: WELCOME... 2.... DA TRAP HOUSEEEE :c00l:

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

d3rt posted:

:(

Open to alternatives; it was an alton brown recipe I googled up. 100% open to a round two thats more authentic.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Sorry about that. Honestly, I am looking for a good sauerbraten recipe too.

I like red wine and cider vinegar, cloves, juniper berries, peppercorns, bay leaves, onion and carrot for the marinade. I think Alton Brown's looks OK but personally I'd skip the mustard seeds (and the gingersnaps of course). Reading the wikipedia article for sauerbraten it looks like mustard seed, coriander and thyme are used in some regions.

I also would not use all of the marinade when cooking, instead cut it with a bit of water and I'm thinking next time I might cut it with beef stock instead. Alton doesn't add more veggies when cooking the meat, I like having some big chunks of carrot and some diced celery in there. A bit of cream in the gravy at the end is nice too.

I don't know if this is authentic. Sadly my Opa passed away before I got into cooking and his recipe is lost :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufonide
Apr 21, 2012

d3rt posted:

Sorry about that. Honestly, I am looking for a good sauerbraten recipe too.

When it comes to Sauerbraten, many german gourmets consider the "Rheinischer Sauerbraten" made with horse meat as the real thing. Try that if you like to see a horse in its most delicious appearance.

• Locked thread