Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bufonide posted:

When it comes to Sauerbraten, many german gourmets consider the "Rheinischer Sauerbraten" made with horse meat as the real thing. Try that if you like to see a horse in its most delicious appearance.

Any tips on legally procuring horse meat in Northern California?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufonide
Apr 21, 2012

d3rt posted:

Good point! I wasn't aware of the legal issues in some states of the US. While there are a lot of other illegal things available in some shady corners of the street, I wouldn't ask the same guy for horse meat.

It's still a very fine dish when it's made of beef. Beef is alright.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm very seriously contemplating going to Germany and France next July, so I'm definitely going to try all the local delicacies.

Horse meat chat: Besides the aforementioned sauerbraten, is there any other horse dishes (not necessarily German) that I should try?

Bufonide
Apr 21, 2012

d3rt posted:

I'm very seriously contemplating going to Germany and France next July, so I'm definitely going to try all the local delicacies.

Horse meat chat: Besides the aforementioned sauerbraten, is there any other horse dishes (not necessarily German) that I should try?

You can get horse sausages and meatballs but usually horse meat is served as a braised meat. Sauerbraten, goulash and roulades are the most popular horse dishes in germany. And then there is "Fohlenbraten", a roasted foal but you don't see it too often on a restaurants menu. Most germans wouldn't eat horse, but it's legal and especially in the Ruhrgebiet (around Bochum, Essen, Dortmund) quite popular.

If Berlin is on your list of places to visit on your trip next July, say a word, would be an honor for me to take a goon to a restaurant in my neighborhood that serves practically every horse dish.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

d3rt posted:

Braised tongue is delicious, and that's straight from the horse's mouth!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

d3rt posted:

döner

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

Haven't tried it myself, but my boyfriend loves basashi (horse sushi).

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

d3rt posted:

Horse steak, available in Northrine Westfalia frequently, often with with brussel sprouts and a sauce, it is very delicious, though slightly sweet, some people don't like that, but it is the closest to pure horse flavour you will get.

Bufonide
Apr 21, 2012
Potato Salad is a traditional (horse meat free) german dish for christmas eve. Keen churchgoers need a quick dinner in order to be ready to attend the service afterwards. We don't go to church but still enjoy this delicious dish.

There are two main variations of potato salad in germany. In southern germany the reciepe is based on a good stock and in the north it's made with mayonnaise. I'm from the north, so you get the reciepe with mayonnaise.

waxy potatos (they have to be boiled in their jacket the day before)
onion

mix potatos with diced onion
add salt and pepper
mix again
dilute some sugar in vinegar and add that (a mixture of wine and spirit vinegar is fine)
mix again
add some neutral oil
mix again

at this point the potatos are very moist but not swimming
let them rest for at least 5 hours, so they can suck up all the free liquid

make a mayonnaise of yolks, salt, pepper, oil and mustard (no, you absolutely can't buy the right mayonnaise for this in the super market)

Scared of of making your own mayonnaise? Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSHXG-5ShFk

add the mayonnaise half an hour before serving

season to taste with salt, pepper and maybe more vinegar.

serve with parsley and wiener (yes, the vienna or frankfurt sausages and no penis)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Bavarian potato salad:
Cook Potatoes, Peel them
Cut the still warm (this makes them nicely soft and crumbly) potatoes in a bowl,together with onions.
Add some vinegar, pepper, a lot of oil, a lot of salt.
Mix.
Add in a cup of soup stock.
Mix again while slowly adding water.Add in just enough for the potatoes to absorb them.
Drop in cucumber slices, also add salt and pepper again to adjust the taste.

Eat while it is still warm. Together with some wiener schnitzel.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Hey German food thread, d3rt saw me asking about doing a sous vide sauerbraten in the sous vide thread and asked me to post a writeup.
For my pickle, I did basically the Alton Brown version with a few changes. No carrot, as I lacked carrots. No juniper, as I lacked juniper. I added a couple ounces of a nice gin, instead. Other than that, the cloves, onion, bay leaves, mustard seed, red and cider vinegar were all the same.

I pre-seared before I decided to do the water bath, but whatever.

I decided to :science:, so I split my 5.5lb bottom round into three chunks after pickling.
So

became

became

So what we're doing is:
One end chunk sous vide at 136 for ~24 hours.
The other end chunk sous vide at the same temp and time, but with probably a half cup of the pickle in the bag.
The middle bit in the Schlemmertopf my dad got me for the holidays.

I followed the cooking directions in the Schlemmertopf booklet, which called for a total of two hours of cooking time. Starting in a cold oven turned to 425, the meat is laid on top of some bacon. poo poo, I don't have any normal bacon. So I used the fatty end of the pancetta I cured from the whole hog butchery class I did a few weeks ago instead!

After an hour, I heated the remaining strained pickle up and added it to the cooking vessel. It went for another hour.
The result:

I made some Spätzel too, two eggs, 5/8ths of a cup of milk, 2 cups of flour, salt and nutmeg. See those forlorn dregs of pork belly in the picture above? Strained those out, threw them in the pan with the Spätzel and half a diced onion and crisped stuff up a bit.

D3rt warned me off the gingersnap thing in the final gravy but, you know, for science.
I still have probably a cup and a half to two cups of pickle left, so I'll experiment with alternative gravy methods tomorrow.

This final gravy involved roughly half a cup of the pickle, some gingersnaps, and a little cream. I didn't add any additional sugar. It seemed to work out pretty well. The Alton recipe said to strain it after mixing in the snaps but I threw caution to the wind.

This was some tasty, tasty stuff. The gravy wasn't overly sweet, and the snaps and cream cut down on the overwhelming overt acidity. The meat probably could have gone for 3-4 hours instead of the 2 advised in the booklet, as it wasn't totally fall apart everywhere, but overall, really good! Miles better than the $18+ plates of Sauerbraten I've gotten when I occasionally find a German place.

Stay tuned for: Sauerbraten 2, cook in a bag edition.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

x-post from sous vide thread.
Trip report on sous vide sauerbraten:
Cut the bottom round roast into three pieces after pickling, roasted the middle part in my Schlemmertopf last night. It was good, but I could have gone 3-4 hours instead of the directed 2 in the Schlemmertopf manual.
Water bath at 136 for 24 hours, one end in some marinade, one end dry.
Results:
Marinaded water bath version is tougher than all the others, and the marinade flavor is too strong overall, permeating the whole piece of meat. I imagine this is vinegar+protein+heat
Plain water bath version is the best, but an additional sear after it comes out would be best, I think. Definitely the juciest overall.
Schlemmertopf version was a relatively close second, but a bit dryer (still moist compared to other sauerbratens I've had), and like I said, should have gone another hour or so.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
I made a quick breakfast/lunch:

Quarkkeulchen with apple sauce. These pancake-like things are made by forming a dough with a 2:1 or 1:1 ratio of smashed boiled potatoes:quark (a German soft cheese), adding an egg and some flour until its semi-gloopy. Add more potatoes for a fluffier, more quark for a slightly cheesecake-like, and more flour for a more bready/pancakey end result. They are hard to gently caress up.

plasmoduck
Sep 20, 2009

God I miss Quark. Does anyone know of a good substitute if I want to make Quarkbällchen?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You could try substituting with some hadrons.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

plasmoduck posted:

God I miss Quark. Does anyone know of a good substitute if I want to make Quarkbällchen?

As far as I know it's just to place sour milk (kefir or similar) in a strainer lined with coffee filter overnight or so and the remaining mass is basically quark.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

So is quark basically Greek yogurt?

Oh. Checking wikipedia tells me

wikipedia posted:

In the midwestern US, quark is called simply farmer's cheese.
So there you go. I've seen that in the organic dairy section of local supermarkets, kind of wrapped up like a healthier variation of cream cheese, in blocks. Try there.

Hunter's feast tonight (no I didn't make it, but it is drat German).

From 12 o'clock clockwise: pear with lingonberries, venison and blueberry sausage with elderberry wine and pheasant and turkey sausage with cognac on bed of red cabbage, hassenpfeffer, wild boar schnitzel in demi-glace, and potato croquettes in the middle. A nice weisse beer is barely visible at the top.

Someone needs to teach me how to cook rabbit, cuz that poo poo is delicious.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 5, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I made this Germanish thing for dinner last night:

Smoked sausages and pork belly braised in sauerkraut with caraway and paprika. Served with semmelknödel. It was delicious.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

I made this Germanish thing for dinner last night:

Smoked sausages and pork belly braised in sauerkraut with caraway and paprika. Served with semmelknödel. It was delicious.

not gonna lie, that looks great

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Oracle posted:

So is quark basically Greek yogurt?

Oh. Checking wikipedia tells me

So there you go. I've seen that in the organic dairy section of local supermarkets, kind of wrapped up like a healthier variation of cream cheese, in blocks. Try there.

Hunter's feast tonight (no I didn't make it, but it is drat German).

From 12 o'clock clockwise: pear with lingonberries, venison and blueberry sausage and pheasant and rabbit sausage on bed of red cabbage, hassenpfeffer, wild boar schnitzel in demi-glace, and potato croquettes in the middle. A nice weisse beer is barely visible at the top.

Someone needs to teach me how to cook rabbit, cuz that poo poo is delicious.

Quark isn't greek yoghurt, but it's kinda similar - even though it's used in a different way.

Btw that looks ridiculously good. Where did you get it?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Quark is basically cream cheese made with lactic acid instead of rennet, sometimes adjusted to a certain fat content and/or consistency with cream. It's pretty close to paneer. Greek yogurt isn't too far off either but quark tends to be on the firm side.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Flights to Europe booked. I'm going to eat all the food :dance:

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
If we manage to meet I will point you to places with authentic Bavarian food, such as offal, fried bull testicles and other delicious treats. ;-P

Remind me to introduce you to fresh Auszogne, which is a "deep fried" sugar coated dough delicacy.

Edit: poo poo, I just realized I never posted my wild board roast I made. Pics are in my camera, will post ASAP this weekend (have to work all days though).
I also made Fohlengulasch (foal stew) yesterday to eat with some friends. Bavarians frown on cooking horse but in northern Germany it is quite normal. If is is tasty, I will document it once I make the second batch of baby horse meat I have in the fridge. (Ample sampling tells me it is really really tasty)

Hopper fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 28, 2014

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nobnob posted:

Btw that looks ridiculously good. Where did you get it?
German restaurant in the rear end end of nowhere Illinois. It was our anniversary :} The bartender was prattling on in German to another patron while we were there and very cool. They answer the phone in German too. They get the sausages from Chicago but the mom makes all desserts in-house and they are all phenomenal. If you call ahead on the weekend I think she bakes on Mondays and you can make special requests, like linzertorte. They are nice folks.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
While mouth watering, their menu has some recipes I don't recognize. But that doesn't mean it's not good/German, the pictures look amazing.

However, as a true Bavarian and lover of our food I have to say this: SOFT PREZEL? Really? :colbert:

(I know you Americans like those, but for a Bavarian any variety of Brezn that is sweet or soft is an abomination unto the eyes of god!)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

If it makes you feel better, I've never actually seen anyone order the soft pretzel or the sweet one :) I suspect they keep it on there for the kids/philistines whose idea of German food doesn't stretch beyond saurkraut and brats.

I would drink their demi glace, its so good.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Oracle posted:

German restaurant in the rear end end of nowhere Illinois. It was our anniversary :} The bartender was prattling on in German to another patron while we were there and very cool. They answer the phone in German too. They get the sausages from Chicago but the mom makes all desserts in-house and they are all phenomenal. If you call ahead on the weekend I think she bakes on Mondays and you can make special requests, like linzertorte. They are nice folks.

Sounds brilliant, will try them out when I'm in the US in summer. Didn't even know german culture would be a thing there, pretty cool.
I wonder if there are typical drinks available as well? Couldn't find them on the menu.

Hopper posted:

While mouth watering, their menu has some recipes I don't recognize. But that doesn't mean it's not good/German, the pictures look amazing.

I agree, some dishes are kinda uncommon here and I personally I've never eaten a few of them even though I life in Germany. Anyways it's actually german and I'm sure it tastes like the tears of god (or at least it looks like it would do so).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nobnob posted:

Sounds brilliant, will try them out when I'm in the US in summer. Didn't even know german culture would be a thing there, pretty cool.

Come to Wisconsin. Good German and Polish food everywhere.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I live in Germany currently, and like a lot of the food. I wish I knew how to make a reliable hunter's sauce without the mushrooms and had the ability to make my own sausages. Nurnburgers are the best goddamn thing.

Someone asked about beer to go with the food.

Typically, I find Helles to go well with almost any dish. I find that Weiss beer is to drat sweet for me, and pils is an ok substitute if needed.

My favorite dish though, has to be Flammkuchen. The traditional one with creme fresh, zweibel, and speck is just amazing.

I would also say Langos, but that poo poo is Hungarian. And re: Doner chat. I don't know why this poo poo isn't more popular in the states.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Doner, or Shawarma, or Kebabs, is so piss loving poor in the bay area it's beyond a joke. I could get better kebabs at 3am in Canberra Australia than I can here.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

Germans are huge in the Upper Midwest, especially Wisconsin/Chicago/Minnesota areas, and some parts of Pennsylvania/Illinois/Ohio (Amish for example brought a lot of food with them). Frankenmuth in Michigan was also a big German settlement though its mostly tourist crap now. There are some good German restaurants in Chicago as well if you don't feel like making the drive two hours south (which is where this little spot is located).

If you're looking to experience authentic small-town America though, Gibson City is pretty much it. You could also go to one of the few functioning drive-ins left in the country, too!

quote:

I wonder if there are typical drinks available as well? Couldn't find them on the menu.
They have German beers on tap and special Oktoberfest beers on tap during Oktoberfest (which go super insanely fast). What drinks in particular were you looking for? I had a Berliner weisse while I was there because they were sold out of gluhwine. Beers on tap rotate but tend to include Spatzen and Kostritzer and Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse, with like 6 on tap and more in bottles and various liquors.

According to Facebook this is what's on tap currently:

- König Pilsner
- BBK Dark Lager
- Weihenstephaner Wheat
- Paulaner Maibock
- Köstritzer Schwarzbier
- Paulaner Lager

quote:

I agree, some dishes are kinda uncommon here and I personally I've never eaten a few of them even though I life in Germany
Some things retain popularity here that have since died out or become uncommon back in the home country. Also I believe the wife is French so that may also account for some of the differences (or just being located in the States).

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

d3rt posted:

Doner, or Shawarma, or Kebabs, is so piss loving poor in the bay area it's beyond a joke. I could get better kebabs at 3am in Canberra Australia than I can here.

Now, to be fair, that's because we Aussies take our drunk food seriously.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

d3rt posted:

I agree, it's not good. But you can make them pretty easily yourself. Also, there is a pretty decent little Araby in Oakland which is great. But that's more for "lunch" and less "drunk munchfood" which is what kebabs are for!

That said, I find it's an American thing. I could find kebabs in NYC but it was really more about falafels. It's not like Europe where you find great drunk doner everywhere.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Oracle posted:

Germans are huge in the Upper Midwest, especially Wisconsin/Chicago/Minnesota areas, and some parts of Pennsylvania/Illinois/Ohio (Amish for example brought a lot of food with them). Frankenmuth in Michigan was also a big German settlement though its mostly tourist crap now. There are some good German restaurants in Chicago as well if you don't feel like making the drive two hours south (which is where this little spot is located).

If you're looking to experience authentic small-town America though, Gibson City is pretty much it. You could also go to one of the few functioning drive-ins left in the country, too!

Awesome! Thanks, I will def have to try one of those out.

Oracle posted:

They have German beers on tap and special Oktoberfest beers on tap during Oktoberfest (which go super insanely fast). What drinks in particular were you looking for? I had a Berliner weisse while I was there because they were sold out of gluhwine. Beers on tap rotate but tend to include Spatzen and Kostritzer and Franziskaner Hefe-Weisse, with like 6 on tap and more in bottles and various liquors.

According to Facebook this is what's on tap currently:

- König Pilsner
- BBK Dark Lager
- Weihenstephaner Wheat
- Paulaner Maibock
- Köstritzer Schwarzbier
- Paulaner Lager

I was just curious about "typical german drinks" would be available at such restaurant and that's pretty much what you get down here as well. Nice!

Oracle posted:

Some things retain popularity here that have since died out or become uncommon back in the home country. Also I believe the wife is French so that may also account for some of the differences (or just being located in the States).
True. I read and heard of these things but it's just not usual here anymore to cook such things, especially most people want to enjoy other culture's food rather than the traditional german cuisine. Makes it even more brilliant to try those dishes in another country than Germany itself. :chef:

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

Soulex posted:

My favorite dish though, has to be Flammkuchen. The traditional one with creme fresh, zweibel, and speck is just amazing.

I am now seriously considering dragging baby and sick me out to get this for lunch. Thanks a heap.

Hitting up the Rewe again this weekend for German mystery meat. Yum.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I made two very simple German everyday dishes lately. It does not get any more down to earth than this.

1. Linsensuppe (Lentil soup)

Ingredients:
125g bacon strips
1 onion
some sour cream/joghurt
1 large Tin of Lentils with greens
(if no greens in Lentils , add a tin bit of fresh leek, carrots, parsely)

1. Fry bacon in a pan
2. add onions, fry till translucent
3. Add lentils (and greens if not included)
4. Let simmer for a bit (5-19 minutes) stir occasionally
5. Add some sour cream/joghurt and stir
6. Serve with a slice of Bread (you can also chuck in a wiener sausage and heat it up in there)

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
2. Bratkartoffeln mit Spiegelei (Roasted potatoes with sunny side up eggs)

(:supaburn: No, these are not burnt, they are supposed to be like that :chef:)

Ingredients: (serves 1)
Potatoes
125 g Bacon
1/2 0nion
2 eggs

1. Peel potatoes and cut into slices, cut onion into rough cubes (not too small)
2. Fry bacon in the pan, add onions, fry until translucent
2. REMOVE bacon and onions
3. Add potatoes into the fat and fry them until edges are brown and potatoes are almost done. (It is important to remove bacon and onions as they will be burnt by the timE the potatoes are ready,
also the potatoes need to touch the bottom of the pan to get brown)
4. When potatoes are almost ready, add onions and bacon and fry another 3-5 Minutes.
5. Put all on a plate, fry up two eggs in the still hot pan.
6. Put eggs on top and serve

I apologize for the simplicity of the pics, but this is what I cooked for the GF and me on a regular night, so no fancy pics.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
4 months til I eat all the German things.

ookuwagata
Aug 26, 2007

I love you this much!

d3rt posted:

If you're going to Germany or France, you can actually bring horse meat back. According to this you can bring small personal quantities of horse meat in, as long as it's commercially packaged and labeled (make sure it's an unopened package as such, and is labeled pretty clearly as horse meat. A receipt identifying it as such would be recommended. If you're into shipping meat onto an international flight in a cooler). Just go down to Appendix A, A-1-33, the guide for personal amounts of equine meat.

Be warned that fresh horse meat is very unusual, and that you're extremely likely to run into an officer which will try to seize it from the assumption that most meat is prohibited. The default mode is for the officer to assume that they are right and the passenger is wrong. If you rub them the wrong way, they will just say that the commercial labeling is insufficient (the regulations are purposefully written to be somewhat open to interpretation) and that they'll seize it. If someone takes a dim view of horse meat in general, because they believe horses are magical and graceful animals, they probably will seize it, as well on similar flimsy grounds.

E: Sausage is not advised, as natural casing is mostly made out of pork intestine. And pork anything... from most places is not allowed.

ookuwagata fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

ookuwagata posted:

If you're going to Germany or France, you can actually bring horse meat back. According to this you can bring small personal quantities of horse meat in, as long as it's commercially packaged and labeled (make sure it's an unopened package as such, and is labeled pretty clearly as horse meat. A receipt identifying it as such would be recommended. If you're into shipping meat onto an international flight in a cooler). Just go down to Appendix A, A-1-33, the guide for personal amounts of equine meat.

Be warned that fresh horse meat is very unusual, and that you're extremely likely to run into an officer which will try to seize it from the assumption that most meat is prohibited. The default mode is for the officer to assume that they are right and the passenger is wrong. If you rub them the wrong way, they will just say that the commercial labeling is insufficient (the regulations are purposefully written to be somewhat open to interpretation) and that they'll seize it. If someone takes a dim view of horse meat in general, because they believe horses are magical and graceful animals, they probably will seize it, as well on similar flimsy grounds.

E: Sausage is not advised, as natural casing is mostly made out of pork intestine. And pork anything... from most places is not allowed.

My Hungarian salami :eng99:

• Locked thread