Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Sorry posting has been slow guys, I'm still away from my computer until the twentieth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Doomsayer posted:

Sorry posting has been slow guys, I'm still away from my computer until the twentieth.

Of January? :raise:

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah. Didn't think to bring my computer with me to winter break :/

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

After a long, long flight you find yourself in Shanghai on a dilapidated little street that is itself three back alleys away from civilization. Up a rickety metal staircase that is clearly just a re-purposed (and unmaintained) fire escape to a cheap wooden door. It takes three buzzes of the bell and two knocks before a young but well-worn man answers the door, scratching at several days of stubbly beard growth. He flashes a big grin just as a distinctive smell hits you from inside the little loft. "'Eeyy, Pennyyy... long time no see!" The man Penny has told you goes by Steve gives her an overly-familiar hug before looking over her shoulder and frowning. "You, uh... you brought some friends? Alright, that's cool, we can get a co-op thing going here. I hope you guys are cool with floorspace. So, just the seven of you, or..."

"Nah there's one more. He's parking the van."

"...didn't you guys fly?"

You shoulder your way past him into the small apartment. Dusty light filters in through uncleaned windows onto what appears to be a particularly lazy college freshman's dorm room. Posters hung with only tape adorn the walls, and there's an honest-to-god beanbag chair in the corner. Steve isn't actually the one who runs the warehouse, thank god, but the warehouse loft is currently occupied by several transients who will lift boxes for pennies on the dollar, so some improvisation was required.

The Christmas party starts tomorrow night, 7pm sharp. Thus far you don't have a ton of intel, but considering the location, you doubt getting in will be too difficult. It's an office building on the outskirts of downtown, it's not exactly a fortress at the best of times. Figure in a skeleton crew for the holidays and an open bar, and getting in shouldn't be too tough.

Peacock's friend Inga can walk you right past the front desk security, but you'll have to be dressed for the occasion, which traditionally doesn't leave much room for armaments. A van and/or APC will be waiting to pick up you and Knopf once contact has been made.

Blancs voice crackles in over the earpiece you almost forgot you had. "Command wants me to remind you that this is a White Op only. No deaths, no injuries. These are civilians we're dealing with here; Knopf wants protection, not a slot on the nightly news."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Leslie "Peacock" Dorien FP 2

And so we see how two problems solve themselves, thinks Peacock as he preens in the mirror. No need to bring the big guns if the mission is white; although perhaps a concealed holster with a twenty-two wouldn't be amiss. But he has a slightly more important thing to worry about. He finishes washing up and turns to the agents.

"So, who wants to be my belle for the ball?" he grins.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Penny Spencer - FP: 2

"Steve, nice to meet you again." Penny returns the hug and gets her equipment into the floorspace. "We're just going to bunk for a few days, we'll try not to leave a mess." They don't really have much time before the party, so they need to set up the equipment soon as possible. "I'd say we get one or two people to case the building. I'll work on setting up surveillance from here, we'll need to keep track of the mark in case something goes wrong."

Before Steve can say a thing, she places a finger on her lips, as if to shush. "This is our secret, okay?"

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Wesson
FP: 3

"Well, we could probably set up a few folks in the van to watch the rear. It'd be less suspicious than parking the APC nearby, at least." Dean isn't exactly volunteering for the job, but he does know he's probably going to be stuck out there anyway. He wouldn't even mind if they had a better place to hunker down than a shuddering wreck of a van. At least they can get some decent Thai food to eat while they wait, right?

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 3, 2014

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

God I'm sorry guys, I've been writing more apology posts than game posts lately, but it's gonna continue, unfortunately. Most everyone I know decided to pick last Friday through tomorrow to meet up, so I've been crazy busy, and Wednesday/Thursday are my travel days back to Reno. I'm heading to Vegas for a week after that, but I will be bringing my computer with me, so hopefully that whole week won't be dark (unlike this one :saddowns:).

I'm really, really enjoying this game I don't want it to die, I swear!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Lancehead FP 2/Refresh 3
Physical [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3
Mental [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3
Mild (2): Moderate (4): Major (6):

Grumbling under his breath about how a Black Op cannot also be a White Op, Lancehead offers his suggestion for the mission. "Simple three-team set-up, get out clean. No guns required even. Bad news is that Sterling has to wear a party dress. Sorry, but arms dealers generally host black tie events."

He outlines his basic plan, the details of which are of course unlikely to survive contact with the mission or even preliminary intel. The gears are turning, though, and he outlines a tactical espionage action with a foundation made of solid metal:

Green Team of Wesson, Sterling, and Peacock walk right into the party, unarmed of course, with a convenient APC relieved from the most wanted war profiteers in the world. "Not that VeraCorp would do anything but turn it over to the proper authorities," Lancehead offers, "but our smaller company's inferior eggheads are having a hell of a time cracking the ID-lock on the tech, we know when we're beaten, you're a electronics company, let's do lunch, blah blah blah." While Green chats up the target and his flunkies, they will need to dispel any suspicion caused by other teams in their tasks, and also assist Red in creating an environment that plays into the target's potentially justified paranoia.

Red Team of Doc, Twobit and Xiaolong arrange for some sort of subtle, very specific, crisis to funnel the target, and only the target, into his panic room, without alerting security or the rest of the party. "A rich guy with a price on his head, he's got a panic room. Trust me on this one. I'll leave it to you how you get him there." Red should operate out of the van, and while they should be prepared to drive hard to escape it shouldn't be necessary.

Blue Team of Lancehead and Boo are responsible for the heavy lifting: literally. When the target reaches his panic room, Blue will need to already be there undetected, ready to intercept and extract. If Blue can't convince him of good intentions within three seconds, they'll need to be able to subdue the target quickly and painlessly; hopefully Doc has an appropriate anesthetic prepared.

Lancehead offers one last thought. "If this guy has people after him, they won't stop just because he's been grabbed. We might want it to look like a hit. I'd ordinarily do it by blowing the panic room, but that's gonna be hard to do white. Any thoughts on how to get a body to match our target without actually killing anyone?"

If he didn't have a panic room and the plan is a general hit with the group I'll spend a fate point to Make It So

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Preparations don't take long - it's not like you have much to pack - and soon you're all loaded into the RPC, parked in an alley only a scant few blocks away from the VeraCorp offices. Huge skyscrapers loom in on every side of the street. VeraCorp, unfortunately, isn't close enough to anything else to allow for an aerial entrance. drat fancy gardens making it too far to zipline. Not that you have ziplines. Probably. All the stuff you have fits in a single trunk in the back.

You did a quick recon of the building, and it's not exactly incredibly well-guarded, but it's not exactly an abandoned gas station either. The main entrance is unlocked for the gala, a lone security guard at the desk. There are other entrances to the building but they are locked and alarmed. A couple well-placed explosives would let you in, but it would also have the cops here in a second. Luckily, Inga is on her way to let you in. Everyone has... well, something approaching formal wear available to them. There was plenty of room in the trunk.

There is a sharp rapping on the door. With a knot in your stomach, the door is slowly opened.

"Uh..." The delivery boy checks the receipt. "Someone got a large sizzling shrimp and fried rice? That'll be- whoa, there are a lot of you guys in here. Uh, that'll be $13.50. Thanks."

Ten minutes later there is another knock at the door. Again the doors open, this time a woman in a lavish coat stands outside, arms braced against the night's chill.

"Hghelo, I am looking for..." She looks around. "...my god that is a lot ov people in one van. I am lookingk for- Leslie! Darlingk!" This is apparently Inga.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

"Well, Lancehead," Leslie smirks conspiratorially as he outlines his plan. "I guess that means I get two lucky beaus to come with me tonight~"

---------------------------------------

"Ah, Inga, my dear!" Leslie steps out of the van and hugs her, voice switching easily between English and German. "It has been much too long since we've last met! Everybody, this is Inga, she's the one I mentioned earlier. Inga, meet the new gang, and no, they aren't Triads this time." He laughs a bit at this one. "Right, our passes have been arranged, then? Shall we head in now, or is there yet more preparations to do?"

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Twobit - 1 FP

Going overseas was always a hassle when you had multiple electronic components necessary to function. Walking through security after getting all the permits was suicide on an op where they were trying to off agents. (Were mainstream cyborgs a casualty of the post-9/11 world, he wondered?)

The solution was upwards of 24 hours in a cargo box, limbs removed and compressed into the packaging. The nutrient and climate control systems he had designed were sufficient to manage the stress. It was not pleasant, but he had long since abandoned the concept of feeling unnecessary things.

He emerged from the styrofoam peanut-filled packaging, his torso whirring with the mechanical pressure of the bootstrapping process, his left arm attaching itself. Propped up like a bicycle, his body reattached its other limbs with mechanical precision. The flesh-colored limbs twisted and turned and flailed in calibration. A vast spike in melatonin registered on his sensors as he came to wakefulness.

"Smells like China," he remarked, pulling out a pair of clothes.

---

The op was simple enough, though perhaps a bit overengineered for something that wasn't supposed to be violent. He wore his tux a little awkwardly, clearly disappointing that he wasn't going to get the full pi-rads out of his highly articulable bits without tearing the thing in half.

"Feizi," he says. "How good are you at impersonating a bureaucrat? If you could go into the party and give Knopf a polite heads-up that one of the high-ranking members of the CPC's unfortunate investment decision in Diànmù pissed off the triad he was in bed with, that they believed his story about being screwed over, and that someone at the party is going to make him have an unfortunate accident. Imply you are looking for a reward or something, it should sound more plausible."

He pulls up a search box on his HUD. Hopefully his proxies weren't out of date.

---

Lore +1 to see if I can find a plausible CCP-Triad connected guy who invested in Dìanmù: 4dF+1 1

---

Sorry for the absence.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jo "Boo" Nin

"Aw, you really like me don't you, Grandpa?" Boo smirks before lifting up her sash to cover her mouth and nose. "Either way, interception and extraction was my best class at Ninja School. Just sucks that that this Black Op is a White Op. I got an S in interrogation techniques too. But hey, he doesn't need to know that, does he?" She draws a knife halfway from its sheathe and nudges Lancehead.

---

Jo spits at the mention of the Triads. "They don't pay for poo poo. Stingiest, shiftiest cartel you'll ever deal with. Could be just because they prefer their in-house operatives, but gently caress, even the Mexican cartels are better."

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Wesson

"So, let's see if I have this straight. We give Knopf something to worry about that isn't us, Red Team makes him worry about it, then you two just grab him and hope security doesn't ask too many questions? Sounds like a plan. Can't help but think it's a bit overcomplicated when we're extracting someone who asked to be extracted, but it's definitely a plan."

---

"So you're Igna? It's a pleasure." Dean gives the new guest a quick handshake before turning back to Peacock.

"I will be ready, once we have a plan. So, how's this: I'll handle the sale. I'm the gun guy here, if I can't sell one man on one piece of quasi-legal military hardware I don't deserve to be here. Peacock, just get in good with everyone we'd want to get in good with. You're likable like that. Just don't actually get in anyone, we don't really have the time for that. Penny, just keep an eye out. This whole mission is a mystery and you're good with those, so just play to your strengths."

"That sound like a plan?"

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Lancehead FP 1/Refresh 3
Mental [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3

"Overcomplicated, overengineered? You're going to hurt my feelings. If our guy really is being targeted by the same people with a hate-on for Sigma agents, this has to be discreet. If he's not, then there's even less reason not to run the op my way, if only to get the practice working on the field. I don't want to think any of you are rusty after sitting on your asses behind desks since that clusterfuck of a war that was Kyrggistan."

He looks pointedly at Boo. "I appreciate your occasional preference for the subtle approach. Remember we're doing this white, so unless you have up your sleeve ninja tricks to un-kill civilian guards, you don't get anything deadlier than a smoke bomb."

All these patriots, pansexuals and prototypes, Lancehead grimaces inwardly. Already I miss the rookies who joined because they thought being a spy would be cool.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

[I]Goddamn. I'm stuck in Laughlin, The Land That Internet Forgot. This has station bathroom is the best service I've gotten all week. I'm locked out of books and SA for the most part until Friday. Friday is when I get home though, so it's smooth sailing from there![i]

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Inga shakes her head confusedly. She shrugs the coat off, revealing a low-cut, short cocktail dress with an eye-searing amount of sparkles and sequins. She passes the big, furry coat inside. "I leave with you, ya? Is heavy and I do not trust coat check girl." She snaps her fingers hurriedly. "So we are going, yes? I am supposed to be there in 10 minutes, let's go."

Inga strides into the lobby of VeraCorp holding nothing beyond the little duffle she brought with her. The security guard looks up and stands as the glass double doors ease shut behind you. He gets a lascivious grin on his face and says "Ah, I see tonight's... entertainment has arrived." He glances back at your party (sans those running support in the RPC over your well-hidden earpieces, of course), doing your best to look formal and all belong-y. "Oh-ho, and you brought friends too? Well isn't that a treat." He presses a button near the festive little lit tree he has on his deak. You can see a red LED near the elevators down the hall turn green. "Head up to floor 32, the party's in full swing."

Inga leads you into the elevator, where you are all left alone, sans any large imposing men in suits. They weren't kidding when they said VeraCorp was running a skeleton security crew.

The elevator is all glass, giving you a gorgeous view of the gardens below and soon a good portion of the city sprawling out beyond.

Inga turns from the floor buttons, still watching them slowly tick upwards. "So, I get you in, you're on your own from here. Any question before we go in?"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jo "Boo" Nin

Jo sighs. "You know, when they say skeleton crew, they're usually exaggerating or flat out wrong. Just my luck that this is the time that the intel turns up true. So, Gramps, it's your basic corner-office panic room, right? Let's hit the roof." She pulls out a tiger claw and looks up. "Whaddaya say--climb straight up or do you think we can zip from one of the neighbors?"

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Lancehead FP 1/Refresh 3
Mental [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3

Blue Team--In Elevator

"Neighbors are too far off, remember? Up and away it is." He has assembled his own climbing gear and is preparing to climb out the top of the elevator. Before doing so, he turns to the group and offers a whispered bit of information to Red and Green.

"One last thing: In the admittedly unlikely event of comms being compromised, call for an person that does not exist and switch to that channel. So if you hear me ask for the status of Green Four, everybody switch to channel four and then check in. If I don't respond something's wrong." He shrugs. "I'm probably overthinking this, but rather do the work now and not have it bite me in the rear end later."

He hoists himself out the top, offering Boo a hand, then nods to Green. "Enjoy the party, kids."

Physique: 4dF+1 2

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jan 18, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Peacock's eyes practically sparkle as he watches Inga's coat fly off to her dress. "Ooh-la-la, Inga, you look fabulous today! Well, best not keep the party waiting for its lives, no?" He nods to Lancehead, then turns to the rest of Green team. "Wesson, Sterling, let's get going~!"

-------------------------

He waves by the guard in a fabulous fashion, and maintains his cheery expression on the way up the elevator. "The country is lovely this time of year, isn't it?" he says idly as he looks out the window. "Maybe they should have held the party in the courtyard. Oh, Inga, for my part, I think I'll be able to puzzle things out myself. Will we see you on the way out, though?"

As the elevator hits the 32nd floor, he nods acknowledgement to Lancehead, takes a deep breath, and steps out into the party, getting a sense of the atmosphere.

Using Notice to try to assess a party aspect that we don't already know. Maybe something like "Trendy Times" or "Odd Hush"?
[23:08:09] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+2
[23:08:10] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, +/-++2 = 3

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Twobit - 1 FP

"Inga, I'd like you very much to know that the consequences will be quite severe if, hypothetically, poo poo goes down that isn't supposed to and we trace it back to you. But of course, you won't have to worry about that."

"Now then, do you happen to have a current list of secure proxies? I would highly prefer to not deal with the Great Firewall ever again."

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jo "Boo" Nin

"Cripes, you are paranoid, aren't you, Lancehead? Careful, I might actually start to like you." She smirks at the old spy over her shoulder as she digs through her pack, pulling out a piece of paper and a sharpie--ninja black, of course. She writes 'Out of Order--Use At Your Own Risk' and tacks it on the inside of the elevator with a kunai. She takes Lancehead's hand and pulls herself up to the top of the elevator. Not that she couldn't herself. She was the highjump champion back in Cherry Blossom, and any ninja worth her onesie can jump through the top of an elevator...But being five-nothing, it doesn't hurt to take a hand when it's offered sometimes. On the roof, she pulls out her kyoketsu-shoge. As she twirls it about, she turns to her partner. "Just so you know, if you have a heart attack, you're hosed.

It's basically a grappling hook with a knife at the end because ninja. Let's get this spy show on the spy road!

Athletics: 4dF+2 = 1

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Wesson

"No, no questions." For his part, Dean's just fidgeting in place as the elevator slowly rises. It's not like he has anything to worry about, really. He just needs to make a business deal, nothing he can't handle. He just needs to walk up to him and get him talking. Not much more to it than that. Just needs to walk up to him without getting too much attention from the other guests.

The other guests...

"Actually, one question. Any other guests we should know about?"

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Wesson
"Actually, one question. Any other guests we should know about?"

Inga shrugs. "That is big question. I do not know everyone in the company, they just hire me for entertainment. I know there are lots of bigwigs and, er, how-you-say, 'higher-ups', but anyone dangerous? No, not in the physical sense at least."

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

Twobit - 1 FP
"Now then, do you happen to have a current list of secure proxies? I would highly prefer to not deal with the Great Firewall ever again."

"Eh... not on me."

It shouldn't be hard to pull a name out of your rear end when the time comes, though you can't remember a lot of specific details. It'll help if you need to bluff the guy, but if he pries too much you'll be in trouble.

Captain Walker posted:

Lancehead FP 1/Refresh 3
Physique: 4dF+1 2

Lancehead finds the elevator shaft easy to traverse with all the cabling . Beyond that, it and the maintenance accesses branching off it seem to follow a relatively sane grid pattern from what you can see. Should you need to come back for some reason, it shouldn't be too difficult to navigate.

Davin Valkri posted:

As the elevator hits the 32nd floor, he nods acknowledgement to Lancehead, takes a deep breath, and steps out into the party, getting a sense of the atmosphere.

The party is jovial, with free drinks and a live band, but it is still an office party for a large multinational, so the mood is yet a bit reserved. What strikes you again is the lack of security detail, but also just how few of the partygoers seem to actually be employees, judging by conversation. By which you mean there are a lot of executives and whatnot, but a large percentage of the partygoers seem to be friends and family. That could be a useful bargaining chip if things go south or your found out. Lots of folks not privy to company secrets, that sort of thing.

The aspect "Hell of a Lot of Civilians" has been discovered!

Okay so just to make sure I have everything before we get to the party proper (even though Leslie's gotten a glimpse):

Wesson and Peacock are in the elevator to ride up to the party in their formal wear.
Boo and Lancehead have climbed out the elevator to scout, also in formal wear.
I'm not quite sure where Twobit and Penny are, either elevator or van?

This is also kind of a mini-roll call after that long break. Am I missing anyone?

Boo you're on the roof, but you have your rope out? Are you rappelling down? I mean that's :krad: but I just want to make sure I'm reading that right.

Also if I don't acknowledge something you said or asked, it's not because I'm ignoring you, it's because I spaced and forgot to answer :downs: So feel free to remind me if I don't.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Xiaolong

Xiaolong enters the elevator with some trepidation. Elevators are traditionally deathtraps when it comes to being discovered. But there's no other option. In his mind he's going over a dozen different ways of causing a commotion- a warning of an assassin? Preying on some personal trauma? A spectacularly persistent and repugnant suitor? I have to settle on a plan, he thinks. Since no one else in this organization seems to care...

aaand I'm back.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I'm not going in the main entrance of the party; I'll be looking for an elevator door that's left open or than I can force, then making my way to the party from there. I am wearing party clothes and carrying no weapon, though, just the climbing gear and maybe a anesthetic cloth if Doc had the time to cool up something appropriate, disguised as a pocket handkerchief. So it's a tranquierchief, really.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

Wesson

"Well, Igna, this is where we part. We all have our work to do, after all." Dean smooths out a few nonexistent wrinkles from his suit one last time before stepping into the party.

And you know what? He's actually handling himself rather well. Firm handshake, easy smile, laughs at unfunny jokes from important people, all that jazz. It'd be impressive if it wasn't just schmoozing at an office party. Still, the fact remains that he's slowly filtering through the party, painting a picture of who is actually important here through rumor and hearsay. He'll figure out who here is actually worth talking to if he has to shake hands with every sweaty accountant here to do it.

Basically, using Rapport to figure out who the important people are at this party. Not sure if that'd count as overcoming an obstacle or creating an advantage, so I'm just making a roll. Rapport: 4dF+3 4

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Sure! Let's say you've created the advantage "Movers and Shakers".

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

Twobit - 1 FP

"Penny, I'm going to set up a secure feed from my eyes. Xiaolong, stick with the plan and spook Knopf. I'll act just plausibly enough like the thing they sent to off him."

He pulls out a few tools and adjusts a few screws in his head before heading into the party.

Crafts +4 (to setup Eye-Cam): 4dF+4 5

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Outside, Peacock is all smiles, gregariously laughing and shaking the hands of everybody he meets. Who cares if they don't know him, they love him; he's the life of the party already! Inside he's a bit more agent-y, looking left and right. There sure were a lot of kids underfoot--sure, the bosses like to bring their kids to company fun days after hours, but certainly a lot more than he was expecting. There's tons of wives, husbands, sisters, brothers, and children...but no sign of their mark yet.

"Peacock to team," he whispers into his throat mic over the punch bowl. "Any sign of our take-home man~?"

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Sorry, post should've been up earlier describing the party and whatnot, but it's the first day of classes and :effort:

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

The party is a lively enough affair, not any more rambunctious than you would expect a bunch of reserved businessmen and their families to be, even with an open bar. Wesson has managed to ID some of the bigger names at the party, but none of them are Knopf. The few that recognize the name look around confusedly for a moment before swearing he was just here, not to worry I'm sure he just went to the restroom. Inga has been milling around, buttering folks up for her own special brand of "entertainment". Just as Twobit hooks up his eye feed to Penny and the RPC, Inga sets her duffle down and begins pulling out the assorted bowling pins and torches of her trade.

She's just begun her juggling routine when the elevators let out a soft *ding* again, revealing the largest group of men to arrive at the party yet, all dressed in heavy trenchcoats against the... cold... wait-

You barely have time to flinch before the coats are thrown aside to reveal sub-machine guns and rifles, a few warning rounds fired into the ceiling. The guests immediately panic and throw themselves to the floor, trying to hide behind tables. One of the men in the middle of the crowd puts a hand on the shoulder of the one in front, who then nods. "Find the target. Now." He half-whispers. The man in back takes two other men, all their faces covered, and immediately darts through a side door into the rest of the building. The six remaining step forward and begin circling around the room, apparently checking for weapons, or maybe valuables. The men seemed to be of mixed origin: some are clearly European, while others may well have been picked up just down the street. Their leader - or at least the one who's doing the talking - has an English accent, though getting any more accurate than that is difficult.

"Do not worry," he calls out to the worried partygoers, rifle slung over his shoulder. "What we are here for is not yours! We do not want your lives or even your money! Just stay on the ground, do not speak, and this will all be over soon, this I promise you. No one fucks with us, no one dies. I'd ask if we're clear, but I just told you not to talk, and I'd hate to set you up to fail." He pulls a radio out of a holster and thumbs the button: "Bravo, are you in position?"

You can't hear the reply.

Keep in mind those of you in the party proper are dressed in formal wear that doesn't leave much room for armament, so waiting for these guys to disperse throughout the floor and thin themselves out is a valid strategy rather than trying to murder them all with your barehands.

...not that I am opposed to rampant fistmurder, of course.

If you're outside the party either PM me or hit me up in IRC and we'll one-on-one chat what happens with you.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

Twobit - 1 FP

He dives for the nearest corner upon the intrusion, keeping himself focused.

Already going after Knopf, he thinks. I have to get them away from there somehow...

He searches through his files for something that might help.

---

Would I have access to any audio with Knopf's voice?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Lancehead FP 1/Refresh 3
Mental [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3

Lancehead has just managed to slip through the elevator door for the floor below the party when he's alerted another elevator whizzing by, and then the brief burst of gunfire from upstairs. He freezes for a moment, listening intently to what little he can make out from Twobit's audio feed, then speaks softly into his headset. "Stall them, Green. Keep the hostiles in the main lobby. We're on our way."

Glancing at Boo, Lancehead grimaces. "You'll like my plan, anyway: I'm the bait and you get to use your ninja gadgets. First off: you got a barber jutsu of any kind, or at least a spare kunai I can use?" He outlines his desperate gambit as he walks toward the men's room and pulls out his datapad. "I'm thinking a cut something like this:"

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Unfortunately you're not able to access any audio with Knopf's voice, but you are able to patch into their radios. It's encrypted, and you're only catch bits and pieces. Unsurprisingly, the most important thing you can hear is: "Spread out, find Knopf by any means necessary."

Between Boo and Lancehead, they're able to cut his old man hair into something vaguely resembling Knopf's shape.

I would post more but I'm a littttle bit drunk, so please keep posting!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jo "Boo" Nin

Boo gives Lancehead a look somewhere between "Do you have any idea of what I do for a living" and "Ninja, please!" With a flourish a kunai appears from her sleeve. "Impromptu cosmetology is like, half of what we do." A can of shaving cream appears from the other sleeve. The brand, of course, is Edge. In the blink of an eye, Lancehead is foamed up and in another, Boo's work is done, the clippings nowhere to be seen. "There, you should pass if, you know, they don't actually look at you for more than a minute. I'm a ninja, not a miracle worker."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Psht!" Peacock hisses as the gunmen roll in. "Poor fellows. They won't get to see the after-party~" He rolls under the snacks table, where several other very nicely dressed people have taken cover, his face a smirking professional contrast to their panic. With a finger to his lips, he slips up the tablecloth with one finger, sneaking quick glances at the would-be gunmen. The other hand?

The other hand is going for his pistol~

Alright, let's get a Notice assessment as to who we're up against. Pros, semi-pros, rank amateurs?
[11:26:32] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+2
[11:26:34] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, --+++2 = 2

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Lancehead FP 1/Refresh 3
Mental [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3

"Nice work. Once I've pissed them off, you move in, find the genuine article, and secure him so Green can book. Don't engage unless there are hostiles directly in your way. When that's done, I need to appear to be killed. Preferably this doesn't involve my actual death."

As he talks, Lancehead is moving to the stairs up. The idea is to get glimpsed by whoever is searching for Knopf, then flee back down a floor, away from the civilians. As he reaches the stairwell he ensures his headset is invisible to a casual glance, then ascends as fast as possible.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

You hear a set of footfalls barreling towards you down the hallway, hurried panting audible even from here. From around the corner comes and older man in a slightly-too-baggy suit, a man who looks kinda-sorta similar to you now. He's practically throwing himself into a run, every step punctuated by a "gently caress".

"gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK YOU THERE! GET OUT OF THE WAY! GET TO THE STAIRS! WE HAVE TO GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!"

Davin Valkri posted:

The other hand is going for his pistol~

Alright, let's get a Notice assessment as to who we're up against. Pros, semi-pros, rank amateurs?
[11:26:32] <Davin_Valkri> !r fudge+2
[11:26:34] <Krysmbot> Davin_Valkri, --+++2 = 2

As if in response to your question, you feel a boot gently press itself against your wrist. "Nie tak chutka, dziaŭčyna." A large blonde-haired bear of a man stands behind you, tablecloth pulled back with one hand, pointing a rifle at somewhere near your nose. He gestures with the gun over to the side. "Toss it. No room for heroes today, dy?"

So, professionals then. You doubt a couple of common burglars would've been able to see that motion, or even checked under the table, let alone see it correctly as going for a weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Lancehead FP 1/Refresh 3
Mental [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3

Pulling Knopf into the stairwell, Lancehead grabs the hysterical man by the shoulders and turns him around. "You need to get out of here, Mr. Knopf. We are here to make that happen. You wanted protection, you've got it." He looks into the older man's eyes, nods, then loosens his grip. "Welcome to Sigma Protocol. Pay attention, stick with us, and we'll get you out of this in one piece. We clear?"

Empathy: 4dF+2 2

• Locked thread