Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Radioactive Bears
Jun 27, 2012

Creatures of horrid visage and disposition.
Doc Austerlitz
0 Fate Points

"Oh, so now you enjoy van-surfing." Doc chuckles, getting ready to floor it. "I knew you'd come around." Doc sticks his head out the window like a dog on a trip, and begins jerking the wheel around. The Vanterlitz steadily accelerates until it sounds about ready to bite it.

~*~*~*~

Using Drive +3 to add the aspect Wild Ride to this scene, and give Boo the first free invoke for her interrogation.

Radioactive Bears fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Success!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Lancehead FP 1/Refresh 3
Physical [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3
Mental [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3
Mild (2): Moderate (4): Major (6):

"Hold it right the gently caress there."

Realistically, Lancehead should really intervene. The mission was to rescue Knopf, not dangle him out the back of a van. He's in command here and should be reminding Boo and Doc of that.

But dammit, he just has to know who hosed up the mission. Civilians in peril, a white op gone loud, plenty of witnesses, God only knows where Wesson and Sterling got to. Is it somehow linked to the Wise Men's Council? Impossible. And yet...

He glances at Boo, and at Doc, and lights a cigarette. "Continue."

I'd say that counts as a compel for In Search of the Truth, yeah?

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

"gently caress! gently caress!" Knopf screams, his arms flailing wildly. "I'll tell you anything you want, please! Just let me back inside!"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jo "Boo" Nin

"Aw, well aren't you just the sweetest?" Boo says letting her natural twang come through, her voice barely coming over the roar of the wind. She balls up Knopf's tie to draw him closer and get a better grip then tosses him back into the van. Jo follows soon after, sliding the door closed. "Glad you decided to cooperate. Now, a certain individual approached you with a list of names. What do you know? Oh, and Doc? Does this rickety, rolling probable cause you call a van have a dash cam or something? I want to show him a picture of Uzilicious."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Knopf shakes his head, as if trying to clear the memory of his frequent near-demises after having met you. "Uh, yeah... Sigma Protocol... oh wait, poo poo, you're with that crazy bastard that came to my office! Yeah, yeah! He came to me a couple weeks ago, told me he had an 'appointment'. Turns out he just duct-taped my drat secretary to a sink! Took four cops to drag him out of the room, one on each limb. He threatened me with a gun, turned out to be one of those, whaddyacallit, smurf guns with the foam darts, left a ring on my des-" He looks up.

"Er, sorry. Anyway yeah he bursts in, telling me he needs asylum. He needs someone with a lot of 'muscle' and 'connections', that he has a list of targets and rambling something about a 'Project Divine Usurper'. I wish I had more for you, but I had called the cops before he got halfway through the list of shadowy cabal assassination targets."

He peers at the blurry dashboard cam photo. "No, sorry. I don't recognize him. He kinda looks like one of those cartoons you see all the time around here."

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Lancehead FP 1/Refresh 3
Mental [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3

"So he's in police custody? The same police that just failed to show up to a war zone outside your office, you should really have a chat with them. In fact, what precinct covers your building?"

Lancehead snuffs out his cigarette and tells Doc, "Drop Mr. Knopf at the police station, then head to the safe house across town. We'll plan our next move there."

To Knopf, he says, "I'm sure I don't need to remind you that we were never here." Of course he's expecting just the opposite from the battered and tortured exec, but it's all part of the grand plan...one that can't be revealed with him in front of them.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jo "Boo" Nin

Jo smiles at Lancehead. It's cute, the way he tries to intimade Knopf. She slides in to show him how a professional does it. Jo gets in close to Knopf, uncomfortably so, and places a kunai in Knopf's hand, whispering in his ear. "Keep this close to you at all times. It's what I'll kill you with if you breathe one word of this to anyone."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

"Hey, whatever you say man." Knopf puts the knife in his pocket, then apparently feels something else in there. "Oh, poo poo, I almost forgot. He left a card. I thought I had thrown it out, but I must've put it in my pocket." He hands Lancehead the card.

The bullet-riddled van pulls up to the police station and dumps a body onto the curb, then speeds off.

No officers follow.

...the police in this town are terrible.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Twobit - 0 FP

"This seems like a trap. Don't look up that name until we are somewhere secure."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Leslie "Peacock" Dorien FP 2

Phys: OOO
Ment: XOO

Peacock has spent the entire time staring out the rear window, occasionally giggling and sighing. Anybody who can see the front of his face might swear that his eyes have turned into hearts. It takes the sound of Knopf landing smack on the pavement to get him out of his reverie.

"Ahh...wouldn't it be nice to--ack!" He flies back a bit as the van speeds off again. "I'm alright, I'm alright! I was listening to the whole thing! Let's see the card! Maybe it'll get me a new boyfriend~!"

Hey, if it'll get me a link with the hottie, why not?! Let's have Peacock rack his brains a bit with the name. Do I know this guy? (Contacts): 4dF+2 2

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

You don't recognize him, but you spotted several tell-tale signs of plastic surgery, if the fact that he looked like a cartoon prince wasn't enough of a tip-off. Even if you did know him, it'd be hard to recognize under the extensive facial construction.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jo "Boo" Nin

"I'm with the robot. Anyone with an @AOL address after 2000 can't be trusted. That, and there is no way that name isn't an anagram or something. It's too...Reince Priebus. Sutavhalp? Pash Vault? Doc, try and build some kind of anagram decoder."

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."
Twobit - 0 FP

He shook for a second in zoned-out contemplation.

"I've got nothing. What's AOL?"

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

A quick Google search tells you "plahvatus" is Estonian for "explosion".

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

So, what's the plan?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD

"Bad news, Jo," Peacock says sadly. "It's plastic surgery. That's not what he really looks like." He sighs wistfully. "Let's find out where we can look that guy up anyways. Maybe that Jonathan Explosion guy too."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Unsure of what else to do, one of you calls Jonathan Explosion's number and sets it to speaker phone. It rings several times before finally going to the machine:

*BEEP!* "Hi there, you've reached the phone of Jon Plahvatus, Spy Extraordinare for Hire. All of our lines are busy at the moment, but- [there is a clinking of glasses] OH poo poo poo poo poo poo GET DOWN! [several seconds of silence] Haha! I'm alright, thought that was going to blow there for a second. Anyway, please leave your name, number, and a brief message and I'll be sure to- [there's a sound of force being applied to wood, like a door being kicked open] Hey what the gently caress is this, you're ZZ's boys aren't you? This is bullshit, I paid up this month! Xue, c'mon man, put the gun down put it- *click* *Beeeeeeeeep.*

"ZZ" or Zheng Zhou is a well-known Triad boss operating out of Hong Kong. You don't even have to look that poo poo up.

That could be a problem.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Lancehead FP 3/Refresh 3
Mental [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3

"I guess we're headed to Hong Kong. It's probably safe to say that whatever organization this ZZ is acting as muscle for is likely to keep our man alive for the moment or they would have killed him straight off. That said I do not have confidence in his spy abilities. We should hustle to set up a meeting and see if this can be resolved white, to make up for the clusterfuck that was this mission."

Refresh time?

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Oh, I don't know." Peacock's response has a bit of sing-song to it. I wouldn't mind a bit more action, myself. All I did was shoot a machine gun a lot, ho ho ho!" He takes a moment to imitate the action of the RPK firing out the rear window. "It was fun, yeah, but not really...good exercise, you know?"

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Yeah go ahead and refresh, it's the "end of the session".

It doesn't take long to get back to the "safehouse", though all night you're waiting for the sound of sirens that never come.

Seriously, just shoddy policework.

You're all gathered in the dining room/den/kitchen, planning your next move.

So... what's the next move?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jo "Boo" Nin
FP: 3->2

"Triads, really?" Jo slumps into a convenient chair at the planning table "SUCH a pain. All so serious with their Totempoles and their Chia Heads and 'I will have your tongue cut out for this, disrespectful woman!' Oh, and their operatives? Talk about I Can't Believe It's Not a Ninja but you can totally tell. Their operatives always have weird names too, ones they expect you to remember, like the Silent But Deadly Blade of My Master's Retribution. Where are you now, Pain-In-My-rear end? Are you able to piss standing up again?" She gets that long, wistful look. Ah, sweet memories. "But if we have to, we have to. I know someone who's in with the Triads in Hong Kong. She's like a distant cousin or something. Not in this line of business. She's earns an honest living--smuggling." A phone slides from Jo's sleeve. "Yo, Wen Di! You still got that hook up with the Triads?"

Invoked aspect, I've Got Friend in Low Places for a Contacts roll: 4dF+0+2=5

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

After several minutes of a one-sided argument from Boo that yes you totally know who I am no shut up yes you do how do you not remember, it turns out that Wen Di does in fact have the hookup. She can either help you set up a meeting with ZZ (though Plahvatus will certainly not be wherever you meet, so should the meeting go south there might be... issues), or she can try and figure out where Plahvatus is being held. Assuming he's alive, of course. A third option might be possible, but she's not sure what it would be.

At this point it's only one or the other though, she's only got so much pull, and asking too many favors makes for a dead Triad.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Lancehead FP 3/Refresh 3
Mental [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3

"Seems like a meeting would be the appropriate thing to do, announce to the big scary crime boss what we want and hope he's willing to part for it in exchange for some menial favor."

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

"Triads aren't any fun at all," Leslie takes a moment to pout. "I mean, how can a bunch of people who run hooker dens and hookah dens be so gosh darned serious all the time! They need to try some of their own product sometime..."

He realizes he's getting off topic. "What I mean is, yeah, sure, let's do it. Hope we don't meet anybody I've had a bad time with."

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

Twobit - 2 FP

"Maybe we should try keeping this under the radar before we resort to getting assistance; people are trying to kill us, remember."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

"People are always trying to kill you." Blancs voice crackles in over the radio. "Get used to it."

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

"Alright, I'll set you up with an appointment with ZZ then. Good luck."

It only takes a day for the appointment to go through, and before you know it you're getting another phone call.

"This is ZZ. I hear you would like to speak with me. I'm glad you called, I like it when new players show respect and know to introduce themselves. Very courteous." He gives you an address to meet him at tonight, 11pm local time.

At first you think you have the address wrong, but after a triple-check it turns out that sure enough ZZ has asked you to meet him at a gas station on the edge of an extraordinarily bad part of town.

Why a gas station? Who knows.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leslie "Peacock" Dorien FP 3

"Oh, why did he have to choose a GAS STATION for this meeting?!" Leslie whines as he eases off his jacket. "Why couldn't he choose someplace interesting like a smoking bar or a hot guys club? This is no fun at all." He harrumphs, checks his pocket pistol, and opens the car door.

"To heck with it. I need a chance to stretch my legs. Anybody else wanna come with?"

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Looking around you begin to notice that these are not your ordinary every day civillians. All of these people filling up their tanks and shopping for snacks are dressed in immaculately-pressed suits clearly cut wide enough to conceal firearms.

Either ZZ owns this gas station or you're in an oddly large Reservoir Dogs cosplay community.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Lancehead FP 3/Refresh 3
Mental [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3

Feeling his own pistol, Lancehead doesn't get out of the van right away. Instead, he tells Doc, "Park it a safe distance away. Be ready in case this goes south." He emerges from the vehicle and takes a brief look around, then walks to the counter inside. Keeping his eyes peeled for the big boss, or any more immediate threats, he browses the cigarettes while he waits.

Notice: 4dF+1 1

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

The man behind the counter looks at Lancehead through thick, pitch black shades, then leans over conspiratorially.

"...密码?*"

*: Password?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jo "Boo" Nin
FP: 2/3

Jo glances one way and then the other and gives the clerk a tired look. "Password?" She slides a blank business card across the counter. On the other side is written, in boldfaced black font, Professional Ninja - Do Not gently caress With Me. It's cheaper and kinder on countertops than jamming kunai into random things. She had hundreds made shortly after going freelance. "Néih hóu, motherfucker. We're here for business with ZZ"

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

The man behind the counter nods slowly. "Yes. That is the password."

He leads you into the back and toward the freezer. He points at the heavy metal construction: "Very good meeting place. No thermals, no cameras, no interruptions. Swept for bugs hourly. Very secure." He yanks the heavy lever and heaves the door open. Inside is a man sitting on a simple metal chair. In front of him are a number of identical chairs, though the obviously-armed men behind him are standing.

He says nothing as you approach, just gesturing to the chairs.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Leslie "Peacock" Dorien FP 3

Well, this doesn't feel like a trap at all, Leslie thinks to himself as he finally wanders into the snack store and looks at the freezer. What, not even a gun check? Maybe it was a trust exercise. He leans on the doorway into the freezer and waves, his expression neutral...for now. "Néih hóu. You are ZZ?"

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Sorry for the further delay, if you missed it in IRC I'm prepping for a conference and one of my undergrad professors just died, so things have been... hectic.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

"是. I am the one some would call ZZ. You are here for the deranged man, yes? The one who shot three of my men over $400 poker debt?"

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Jo "Boo" Nin

Boo whistles. "Wow. If he is still alive and in possession of his tongue--in which case, you're either brainstorming something special or are just baffled by his stupidity. Either way, we would be interested in speaking with this madman. Seriously though, he had a piece in loving Hong Kong and was dumb enough to use it on locals?"

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Lancehead FP 3/Refresh 3
Mental [ ] 1 [ ] 2 [ ] 3

"To my colleague's request, I add only that this man is probably the kind of crazy you want to designate as someone else's problem. I only wish I had that luxury."

He sighs a bit, and continues, "Let's talk price. What is it going to take for us to either get a ride out of town with Agent Adou accompanying--" he uses the Chinese name for an incompetent person -- "or, failing that, a couple minutes with him before you do all sorts of nasty things that he most certainly deserves?"

Thanks, Dynasty Warriors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

ZZ nods thoughtfully, then whispers something to his man who scurries out of the room.

"Yes, I think this could be a very beneficial situation for us both. I'll give you the man you seek-"

He leans in close, his eyes suddenly going dark, any trace of joviality gone instantly.

"-and in exchange Sigma Protocol gets the gently caress out of China. My associates and I don't appreciate any heavies operating on our turf. Deal?"

"Christ." Blancs' voice crackles in over the radio. "What, did we put an ad out in the phonebook?" He doesn't seem happy that a supposedly-covert organization seems so well known.

• Locked thread