Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?
How has CSI not shipped mine yet. I played the original until the cards were worn. Are the original fighters from War replicated here or do I need to sleeve this entire monstrosity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

sicarius posted:

How has CSI not shipped mine yet. I played the original until the cards were worn. Are the original fighters from War replicated here or do I need to sleeve this entire monstrosity?

It's still listed as a preorder, so I assume CSI hasn't gotten their stock from Level 99 yet.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

sicarius posted:

Nope! 30 new characters, no old characters.

There's been some talk about the difference in backing color between War and Indines, and... well, it's sorta true? But it's a very faint difference, and I can't tell unless it's under a direct light and both cards are next to each other. So unless your opponent is putting a reference card next to your attack pair and holding a flashlight over it, they're not going to be able to tell if you played your unique base or not. Just don't put a color swatch next to your opponent's pair like a cheating jerk and you should be fine.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mystic Mongol posted:

There's been some talk about the difference in backing color between War and Indines, and... well, it's sorta true? But it's a very faint difference, and I can't tell unless it's under a direct light and both cards are next to each other.

The main issue is with the errata cards for War from Devastation Extended Edition. It's not usually an issue for Devastation characters since they aren't likely to be using cards from the War set, but War characters are likely to be using Devastation cards. I figure I'll play with them and if it's an obvious issue they can get sleeved.

sicarius
Dec 12, 2002

In brightest day,
In blackest night,
My smugface makes,
women wet....

That's how it goes, right?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The main issue is with the errata cards for War from Devastation Extended Edition. It's not usually an issue for Devastation characters since they aren't likely to be using cards from the War set, but War characters are likely to be using Devastation cards. I figure I'll play with them and if it's an obvious issue they can get sleeved.

Let me know if it's a thing - post a picture maybe, if you can, I'd be appreciative. If there's a problem I wanna order my sleeves early, since I expect CSI will ship out soonish.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008
Just here to pop in and further nth "this game is awesome and the designer is a really nice guy."

As for storage, as much as I thought the little folders were really nice, I still ended up sleeving all my cards and found that they just didn't fit anymore, so I ditched the plastic insert and fit all the Devastation characters plus bases/tags/special actions/betas/ex/almightys into a single 550 count card tray that fits right in the box on top of the board, which just leaves enough room for all the bagged up standee's and tokens. I have no idea what I'm going to do when the remake of War comes out next year.

It's my goal to learn to play Gaspar, but I'm paranoid of even touching him until I've wrapped my head around some of the flight 3 characters. I went on a long losing streak with Lymn until I realized I should be aiming for huge disparity, just making my buddy afraid of it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So after sleeving everything (good god there are 3 stands for each character...), I vaguely recall during the Kickstarter that one of the artists was going to take on the Herculean task of drawing small pictures of the character actually doing their move on the reminder card or something. Did this not make it through the design? It's not a big deal obviously, but I was wondering if it just fell through.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Got to play a fair few games tonight, and really enjoyed it, but we finished the evening trying the first boss fight, and I'm sure we went about it wrong. Is it basically intended to be between two players and a third controlling the boss? Because there were a whole lot of instances where the boss would create an effect that would move a character 1 or 2 or 3 spaces and we pretty well always played it to whatever was our advantage, and there were other times where he could choose to either attack or advance, and it seemed weird that it would be left up to us.

Also a little unclear, when exactly he would fall back, or what exactly happened when he reached his break point, or whether attack power carried over from one of the tokens to the next one as it was supposed to when the boss had an armor rating, etc etc. It was just weird that they set you up with all of these new boss fight rules and then the first encounter is with someone who behaves completely differently. That whole Larimore fight really needed some clearer writing.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Fix posted:

Got to play a fair few games tonight, and really enjoyed it, but we finished the evening trying the first boss fight, and I'm sure we went about it wrong. Is it basically intended to be between two players and a third controlling the boss? Because there were a whole lot of instances where the boss would create an effect that would move a character 1 or 2 or 3 spaces and we pretty well always played it to whatever was our advantage, and there were other times where he could choose to either attack or advance, and it seemed weird that it would be left up to us.

Also a little unclear, when exactly he would fall back, or what exactly happened when he reached his break point, or whether attack power carried over from one of the tokens to the next one as it was supposed to when the boss had an armor rating, etc etc. It was just weird that they set you up with all of these new boss fight rules and then the first encounter is with someone who behaves completely differently. That whole Larimore fight really needed some clearer writing.

Larimore the dragon is controlled by a human player, yes.

When you do enough damage to break an attack, you immediately flip it, and do the break effect (if any). Spare damage doesn't carry over, so Larimore can alternate between putting a hard to break attack up front, making weak attacks do nothing, or leading up front with an easilly broken attack with a breakpoint effect, so leading off with a power attack isn't helpful and then the followup attacks slam into a hard to break wall. Like the main game, this is all about Larimore judging the player's intentions and the players judging his intentions, which is why it doesn't really work with random attacks and random tokens.

He falls back immediately whenever an attack is broken, so he actually falls back a lot, which means he has to spend a significant number of his remaining attacks pushing forward again. He also falls back if he doesn't push forward on any of his attacks during his phase. Which is good, because his attacks are scary and do tons of damage and he's almost always got some multihit +2 damage scarytown power in the back of his lineup.

Attack power tokens only boost the specific attack under that token, not all of them.

Every boss breaks the boss rules, they're all special snowflakes. If you want generic bosses, go challenge the 3 or 4 player dungeon. They'll push your poo poo in a few times.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Not sure where it was exactly, but a comment about Devastation took me down a rabbit hole this morning and by lunch, I'd ordered everything I could find direct from Level 99. Pretty amazing quality from such a small studio and very exciting to look forward to. Whoever posted about this in some other TradGames thread, thanks (albeit not from my wallet, yo.)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If you're throwing money at them, don't forget to back their latest Kickstarter!

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

GrandpaPants posted:

If you're throwing money at them, don't forget to back their latest Kickstarter!

Already done. That $200 went quick.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Welcome aboard! If you get the expanded edition before I do I'm gonna be pissed.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Mystic Mongol posted:

Welcome aboard! If you get the expanded edition before I do I'm gonna be pissed.

...so I shouldn't point out that they just mailed me my shipping notice? ;-)

Seriously, I'm really impressed by the quality Brad's been able to put into his work, especially since it seems like he's still relatively young in the publishing industry. I'm going to be watching Level 99 for a long while to come, I think.

As for this game, I can't think of another game recent in origin where the mechanics so *perfectly* grasped theme. This game, from the online videos I've watched, PLAYS like the best of the 2-D Fighters. When I saw Guilty Gear mentioned as a reference point, I was intrigued. When I saw how it played, I bought it within minutes. And that's from a person who normally takes day or weeks (or months in the case of games like Mage Knight where even after multiple watches I'm left unsure) of obsessively pondering a purchase before jumping on it.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Stores need to get this in stock ASAP.

Unless there are any bonuses you get from ordering from Level 99's website? $75 is a bit steep, but I can do $50 from CSI.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
The bonus you get from ordering from the site is twofold:

1) If you're getting the expansions or also getting the War for Indine set, you can get them with your order (and free shipping) whereas if you order from CSI, you're going to have to wait on anything that's not Devastation. You also get some promos (I believe) by ordering directly from the site.

2) You get the holiday cheer of helping a young business with your extra bucks. To me, it's the equivalent of feeding my local brick-and-mortar which, despite my CSI shopping, I try to make at least one or two buys from a month.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

The bonus you get from ordering from the site is twofold:

1) If you're getting the expansions or also getting the War for Indine set, you can get them with your order (and free shipping) whereas if you order from CSI, you're going to have to wait on anything that's not Devastation. You also get some promos (I believe) by ordering directly from the site.

2) You get the holiday cheer of helping a young business with your extra bucks. To me, it's the equivalent of feeding my local brick-and-mortar which, despite my CSI shopping, I try to make at least one or two buys from a month.

This is true! I need to think on it some more. How fast is their shipping normally?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Mystic Mongol posted:

Larimore the dragon is controlled by a human player, yes.

Hey yo thanks for all this.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Argent reached the expansion stretch goal, which you can add for $35. I am reasonably certain this may overwhelm new players, but screw it. More more moooooore.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Spincut posted:

This is true! I need to think on it some more. How fast is their shipping normally?

I ordered at noon. They shipped by the end of the day.

So, I can't speak for normally... but for me, very fast? :)

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

Welp, guess what I just ordered.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I have no idea how you're supposed to use Gerard's Larceny effectively outside of predicting a Dash, or as a very matchup-dependent option for a few of the more mobile characters. Am I missing something?
It's a range 1 that gives you 3 gold on hit, but it only hits opponents if you switched sides this beat.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
They don't have to switch sides with you, you just have to switch sides... and before the attack you pull and advance, so you're very very likely to get that switch. Having both a pull and an advance is notable in that you'll switch with them even if one of you is in the corner, unlike just a pull (fails if you're in a corner) or just an advance (fails if they're in a corner).

Ignoring styles, Larceny beats shot and a 1 step burst, loses to drive and grasp, and clashes with strike. With Initiation, it beats burst and trades evenly for strike, as well as gaining 3 gold and making hiring a mercenary cheaper. With Villainous you can get the bonus gold only if your back is relatively close to the side, or you're against a slow opponent, but the push stopsslow strikes dead---very situational, but powerful against assholes like Cesar. Also, it does a ton of damage. Gilded larceny beats normal grasps if you have more gold than mercenary, and almost all shots and drives if you've got a ton of mercs, as well as most bursts, but tends to clash with shots you'd normally beat. Avaricious Larceny beats Bursts and Shots, as well as trading favorably with Strikes, and making a ton of money.

Hooked Larceny is pretty much garbage.

If someone dashes past you, Larceny will miss, because all attacks miss someone who's dashed past you.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 20, 2013

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I actually see what I missed now - I'd overlooked one of the rules. "When moving, you hop over opponents and do not count the spaces they occupy against your movement." That changes everything.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Spincut posted:

Welp, guess what I just ordered.

I like how my obsessive-compulsiveness turned into the gift that kept on giving.

Here's hoping your ship date was just as fast. Be looking forward to comparing notes here!

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

I like how my obsessive-compulsiveness turned into the gift that kept on giving.

Here's hoping your ship date was just as fast. Be looking forward to comparing notes here!

They actually updated my order to "Shipping" like immediately, but there was also a note saying they were taking it to the post office tomorrow, so...dunno! I ordered around 11:30 AM PST.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Mikan posted:

I actually see what I missed now - I'd overlooked one of the rules. "When moving, you hop over opponents and do not count the spaces they occupy against your movement." That changes everything.

Yeah, that is extremely important. We're working with Galaxy Trucker movement rules here - opposing players never occupy the same spot!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

I'm actually not sure what to think about the new minis stretch goal to Argent. I mean, it sounds cool and I would absolutely love to have it, but at the same time, is it possibly too ambitious?

Also, did they ever release a tier ranking (as in difficulty tier) for the War of Indines characters? It's not the biggest stretch for someone like Cadenza to be Tier Newbie, but has anyone actually tried?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

What minis stretch goal? I don't see such a thing listed.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Memnaelar posted:

Mine has been stuck in Denver, "arriving," for three days. :< (I live in Michigan)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

gnome7 posted:

Yeah, that is extremely important. We're working with Galaxy Trucker movement rules here - opposing players never occupy the same spot!

I think player-markers like Jager are an exception, but that's the only one I can think of.

(Brantford supremacy.)

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

Also, did they ever release a tier ranking (as in difficulty tier) for the War of Indines characters? It's not the biggest stretch for someone like Cadenza to be Tier Newbie, but has anyone actually tried?

The original War rulebook had three classifications:

Basic: Hikaru, Cadenza, Kallistar, Magdelina, Vanaah, Luc

Moderate: Kehrolyn, Zaamassal, Demitras, Regicide, Hepzibah, Rukyuk

Advanced: Khadath, Lixis, Seth, Tatsumi, Sagas, Cherri

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Holy crap, they really did ship it today, and it has 2-day priority shipping that I got for free. That's...some quality service, holy hell.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Desty posted:

I think player-markers like Jager are an exception, but that's the only one I can think of.

(Brantford supremacy.)

Yeah, that rule only applies to standups. Markers like Jaegar can stand wherever they darn well please.

Spincut posted:

Holy crap, they really did ship it today, and it has 2-day priority shipping that I got for free. That's...some quality service, holy hell.

Level99 is good people.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Devastation story time:

I've gotten to try five characters so far in about that many games (Kajia, Sheiktur, Eligor, Marmalee, and Petros), and I'm basically in love with Devastation. From opening the box to these last few plays my excitement cannot be contained. It's hitting all the right notes.

My only "gripe" so far is that the two opponents I had took a bit for their turns, making the game drag more than I cared for. If there's one thing I'd give Yomi the upper hand for in the simultaneous-selection fighting-game-themed "genre" (despite the two games being entirely different otherwise), it's that Yomi has a faster pace. Whatever, I'm loving BattleCON.

Really though, this game is amazing and I'm so glad I bought it on a whim.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Fix posted:

What minis stretch goal? I don't see such a thing listed.

quote:

($90,000) Plastic Miniature Mages - If you caught some of the drawing sessions, then you may have seen Nokomento working on sketches for students from each department. With this goal, we will upgrade every copy of Argent: the Consortium and 'Mancers of the University to include plastic mage figures instead of wooden pawns. Each department will have its own design and color of mage gamepiece! This will be a free component upgrade for all backers!

Like I said, I'd love to have it, but I just hope that they've planned this out so that this doesn't delay the process.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I've been getting a lot of play out of Devastation this week, and have gotten to see most of the Flight 1 and 2 characters in play at this point. My favorites so far are probably Eligor, Shekhtur, and Runika so far; I haven't gotten to play Alexian but he's the character I find the most intimidating, it's just very hard to disrupt him compared to other characters.

Any tips on playing EX bosses on 2v1? We had some fun with that last night, but so far it feels like the EX player has the tougher fight compared to the two players. With Runika as a boss, I went up against Karin & Alexian, I was at least able to KO Karin, but the two were very good at keeping up the pressure and it was hard to find safe options.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I've been getting a lot of play out of Devastation this week, and have gotten to see most of the Flight 1 and 2 characters in play at this point. My favorites so far are probably Eligor, Shekhtur, and Runika so far; I haven't gotten to play Alexian but he's the character I find the most intimidating, it's just very hard to disrupt him compared to other characters.

Any tips on playing EX bosses on 2v1? We had some fun with that last night, but so far it feels like the EX player has the tougher fight compared to the two players. With Runika as a boss, I went up against Karin & Alexian, I was at least able to KO Karin, but the two were very good at keeping up the pressure and it was hard to find safe options.

Yeah, something I noticed with the EX versions is they actually say to fight against a tag team of two players, not two players simultaneously, which makes a big difference in action economy. You might be able to make it work if the EX player plays two attacks a turn, and getting stunned only loses one of those attacks. It would need testing.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
In the past four days or so I've played almost ten games of BattleCON: Devastation. I'm really digging this game. It's definitely one of those 'keeps on giving' titles, where there's so much content and depth to explore.

Here are my thoughts on the characters I've played so far:
  • Pendros: This character is great practice for planning two turns ahead, but I really am having a hard time understanding the nuances of this guy and his Environment markers. Probably a great character if you're good with board positioning.
  • Alexian: Heavy-hitter woo! Talk about a power-house of damage. Pretty straightforward--run up and hit poo poo. I like this dude.
  • Shekhtur: Since the game recommends starting out with Shekhtur, she's probably seen the most plays of any character so far. I think her Unique Ability, while fairly straightforward, really takes some technique to pull off to maximum effect. She seems to boil down to dealing damage first each turn and keeping momentum to keep dishing out pain. Cool stuff.
  • Eligor: Weird that Shektur is recommended to fight Eligor at the start, since that matchup seems to favor Eligor. Aggressive character versus counter-heavy character? Yeah.... Still, Eligor is neat, and being able to time a good, buffed Aegis can be drat devastating. Ignoring Stun 99% of the time is pretty awesome to boot.
  • Marmalee: I don't know about Marmalee. This thread describes her as kind of weak (at least compared to her Alternate which I don't have :( ), and her game heavily relies on defensive play to avoid stun. There's definitely some interesting stuff going on with Marmalee, but I really can't say for sure how good she is.
  • Kajia: I really like Kajia's playstyle, although I think she's going to have some bad match-ups due to her need to keep other characters close and constantly jumping over her. It's really fun to keep moving the enemy around and DoT'ing them to low health though!
  • Mikhail: Mikhail. Ouch. His styles are beastly, and am I right in thinking he's some kind of long-range heavy hitter? I can imagine him being a hard fight for a lot of other characters unless they can get good at avoiding his attacks.

I'm not sure which character I like best so far, but I get I feeling I'm going to lean towards the weirder, tactical styles (Karin and Jaeger really seem neat). Honestly Tanis seems like the most appealing character to me for playstyle, but a Master-difficulty character is down the road for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Shekhtur is extremely robust against Eligor as long as you don't try to smash him in the face super fast every turn. Dash occasionally, drop a burst, you'll do great. And Jugular Brand walks all over him.

As for Tanis, just jump in and lose a few matches with her. Instead of trying to win, just try to remember every time you think to yourself, 'poo poo, I really wish that puppet was over THERE' and file it away for next game. The general strategy for her and Pendros is the same--instead of putting her puppets or his land zones where they'll be useful if everything goes right, put them where they'll help next turn if your opponent's play THIS turn is that one move you really really hope it isn't. If you guessed right you smack them clean in the face anyway, so in general I find it more useful to plan for failure with those tricky effect based characters.

Also her alt art is way better than her default art.

Lost another round against Baron Snow yesterday, drat his eyes. Goddammit I'm better than this.

• Locked thread