Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«4 »
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

All episodes now available on FightPass: http://www.ufc.tv/category/the-ultimate-fighter-china

Even AVID doesn't want you to watch this

見證了現代戰士的健身

So TUF: China certainly is...a thing

There are 2 weight classes, welterweight and featherweight. I think anyways, the translation is really awful and they even gently caress up the english translations for things Cung Le is saying. Which is not helped by the fact that Cung Le fucks up a lot on camera and speaks in a very patronizing manner.

This thread is a work in progress, so deal with it. Or whatever.

Meet the head coach Dana White, Cung Le (9-2) - 41 years old, speaks no Mandarin, could easily beat the poo poo out of everybody on this show.

Meet the coaches:

Tiequan "The Mongolian Wolf" Zhang (15-4) - 35 years old, last seen getting beaten up by nobody on the Macao card.

Ao Hailin (8-0) - Old as poo poo, I can't find any information on how old he is. He looks bad.

Meet the fighters, and I use that term very loosely:

FEATHERWEIGHT

Allen "Orangutan" Chong (0-2) - 31 years old, Malaysian, speaks English, is an architect, BJJ teacher, and apparently poor as poo poo. His wife is a Judo brown belt.

Fu Chang Xin (0-0) - 21 years old, has a Brazilian coming of age story (mom killed herself, dad left home).

Rocky "Koala" Le (3-0) - 26 years old, Taiwanese, another Brazilian sob story.

"Yangtze Uksw" He Wei Jian (6-3) - 24 years old

Ning "Smasher" Guangyou (3-2) - 31 years old, triangled by a Korean who is now in the UFC

Shih "Zombie" Liang (1-0) - 35 years old, graduated from Cornell with a law degree, is a movie producer

Yang "The Tiger" JianPing (6-3) - 24 years old, trained by Tiequan Zhang

Yao Zhi Kui (1-1) - 22 years old, trained with Tiequan Zhang.

WELTERWEIGHT

Albert Cheng (0-0) - 28 years old, Canadian, wrestler. His girlfriend is a world champ or something. Has a terrible amateur record.

Dong "The Jade Dragon" Xin (3-0) - 22 years old

Li Jin "The Macho Queen" Ying (0-0) - 24 years old, a Yoga instructor, has never sparred ever, last pick overall

An Ying Wang (2-0) - 22 years old

"The Fire Kylin" Wang Sai (6-4) - 27 years old

Wu Qi Ze (1-0) - 24 years old, quit muay thai because it was too hard.

Zhang Lipeng (6-7) -23 years old, Mongolian

Zhi "Leopard" Qing Xiang (0-0) - 29 years old

First Episode:

Zuffa took it down not because it violates copyright but because it's so bad. They only showed about 5 minutes of the guys actually doing drills and sparring and a lot of them are really bad at everything. There's like 3 guys that are any decent, and they'd all get smoked on an RFA undercard. Lots of guys with no pro fights at all, including a Yoga instructor and a movie producer. Cung Le's reaction to all the fail is

These guys are so bad that the assistant coaches are concerned that they are rolling way too hard. Cung Le has to go out of his way to tell everybody to tap if you are caught in a choke or a joint lock and not to hit their training partners too hard. "We've got a lot of work to do." The guys are so bad that Cung gave everybody the option to leave the show if they were in over their heads (clearly targeted at the Yoga instructor).

I can already see friction between the American wrestling and BJJ coaches and the Chinese coaches because there was a moment during fighter selection talks where a Chinese guy is like "why did you put this guy as #4? I've seen all his fights" and the wrestling coach is all

你想成為一個他媽的戰鬥機?

Second episode preview: Yoga instructor takes a leg kick while sparring with full gear and is hurt. BENSON HENDERSON appears!

1st AD fucked around with this message at Mar 8, 2014 around 04:12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurain
Mar 7, 2013

Ning "Smasher" Guangyou has the look of a fighter, if nothing else.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Raw doggin' it

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

That sounds ridiculous
chemtrails!

1st AD posted:

BENSON HENDERSON appears!

HENDERSON uses wrestling...

It's super effective!

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Want to watch this so bad. No way any of these guys ever see the light of day.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

With those records I wonder if they will even let any of these guys fight real UFC fights or if they will be doomed to fighting TUF china contestants forever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

Fundamentals as sound as the WNBA

When I first heard about The Ultimate Fighter I was under the impression they were taking a bunch of guys who had never fought and training them to be UFC fighters. I thought to myself "That sounds like a really bad idea!" Now I am glad that UFC is making my vision a reality.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The UFC will probably run China-only shows featuring dudes that have come up through the local circuits.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

James Thomoson
#1 B league HW
(and of our hearts)

This seems like a mistake to have branded if UFC, I hope they know what they are doing.

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010

Which one of them is the actor that was all smiles when he admitted that he was probably the least skilled in the house, but definitely the most popular? (No, I don't mean the movie producer; they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel on this thing)

Also, Yoga Instructor totally has this. Even if the guy is starting from scratch, at least he has the advantage of not having been conditioned to do everything the wrong way.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

I can't think of anything worse than a version of TUF where the fighters are all China-calibre, presented by Cung Le. I am absolutely not going to watch this, but for the people who are insane enough to watch it could you please post spoilers because a movie producer who is also a lawyer sounds like the worst loving person on Earth and if he gets his rear end kicked I want to delight in his pain and misery. Thanks.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Skjorte posted:

Which one of them is the actor that was all smiles when he admitted that he was probably the least skilled in the house, but definitely the most popular? (No, I don't mean the movie producer; they were really scraping the bottom of the barrel on this thing)

Also, Yoga Instructor totally has this. Even if the guy is starting from scratch, at least he has the advantage of not having been conditioned to do everything the wrong way.

I was trying to figure out who that was, but he had a different hairdo than in these promo photos. I want to say it was Yang Jianping because he had the most beach muscles physique out of all the guys, but tbqh he doesn't seem half as bad as some of the welterweights they've got.

The Yoga instructor is going to DIE, he's never sparred and got lit up in training. Also the next episode preview has him taking a round kick to the thigh and really not feeling too well afterwards.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Pretty sure you won't have to worry about missing a badass steamrolling of anyone on this show. Predicting that we get to the semi-finals without an actual fight.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

I think I'm going to follow this thread just because watching this sounds horrible, but reading posts from goons who are watching this could be pretty awesome.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

So this is like a counterfeit version of TUF that will break the moment it's put to any kind of test, right?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Personally I hope the house has free food and booze so TUF China gets its own "LET ME BANG BRO" moment

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Raw doggin' it

Came across a photo of some of the cast and some corporate guys that seems like it might spoil the finalists but more importantly one of the guest coaches KOREAN ZOMBIE

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

the player so ice
they named him thrice

I hope they bring in a Japanese guest coach just to show how culturally out of touch they are.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

I bet against K-1

I really want it so that Zuffa had no idea this was a thing until the show surfaced on Youtube. There's no way Dana greenlit this. Its amazebad.

EvanSchenck
Sep 8, 2010

When I heard that they were going to do a TUF in China I figured they would find a bunch of sanshou guys and it would be bad but sort of recognizable This just sounds baffling. A guy whose MMA base is yoga and has never even sparred?

attackmole
Dec 15, 2007

Being horribly in over your head might be a good way to learn quickly (in the sense of learning MMA, not in the sense of actually doing anything but get murdered in his first fight), but the other guys are gonna haaaaaate training with yoga dude.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

Fundamentals as sound as the WNBA

EvanSchenck posted:

When I heard that they were going to do a TUF in China I figured they would find a bunch of sanshou guys and it would be bad but sort of recognizable This just sounds baffling. A guy whose MMA base is yoga and has never even sparred?

Yoga is a good base for MMA because it gives you access to the Diamond Cutter, the move that knocked out Junior Dos Santos.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Just remember that these are the guys who made the tryouts, think about all the people they had to reject. They apparently had castings all over the Sinosphere.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

"Because a man who doesn't spend time on top of other men can never be a real man."

1st AD posted:

The UFC will probably run China-only shows featuring dudes that have come up through the local circuits.

yyyyyyyyyep. There's no way UFC will put any of these guys in a real fight on a show people might watch. But for those small regional shows in Asia? Well you gotta have somebody for the prelims.

coconono posted:

I really want it so that Zuffa had no idea this was a thing until the show surfaced on Youtube. There's no way Dana greenlit this. Its amazebad.

Nah Zuffa gets to charge a fee for formatting the show and they probably made good money from it. Zuffa would only want it to be "good"/get ratings so they can do more seasons. But as far as the quality of the fighters they could give a gently caress.

UFC only worries about talent from American TUF because it's been very successful in cultivating stars for PPV in the past.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

The Latest in Pagan Goat Undergarments

Hopefully this is torrented somewhere.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Whole thing is up here:

http://fightcreature.com/the-ultima...hina-power-e01/

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

James Thomoson
#1 B league HW
(and of our hearts)

Do we know how well they were even able to vet these guys as telling the truth? Some of them explaining their backgrounds just doesn't ring true, maybe its lost in translation.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I think the english translation is pretty lovely, but a lot of them have fought on cards like Art of War so there's tape on some of the guys at least.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010

James Thomoson
#1 B league HW
(and of our hearts)

Are UFC sponsored by Under Armour in Japan?

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

willie_dee posted:

This seems like a mistake to have branded if UFC, I hope they know what they are doing.

After watching one episode and reading this OP (thanks for making it), it's pretty safe to say this is something meant to spread brand awareness as well as introduce MMA to Chinese people in hopes that maybe in like 5 years they will have someone worth putting on a PPV in America. It's going to take a long time unless one of these guys is way better than the rest, but it is unlikely because of the sharktanks that are 145 and 170.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Based on a cast photo posted earlier, all of these guys are actually smaller than Chan Sung Jung, so I expect that none of them cut weight and all of them are future flyweights, bantamweights, and McDojo instructors.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

The long awkward silence after Cung Le told them to leave if they didn't feel up to the task. Then the long awkward silence after he said "Are you really sure?" right after.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

1st AD posted:

Just remember that these are the guys who made the tryouts, think about all the people they had to reject. They apparently had castings all over the Sinosphere.

I don't understand this. China is a rather populous place. How is this the best they could come up with? Where are the kung-fu guys? Or the sport Wushu guys? Movie martial artists? Or the loving street fighters?

I mean, there are Chinese MMA organizations aren't there? That Art of War thing?

I just don't understand how they got people that have never even sparred before, let alone fought. I expected there to be a real lack of ground skill, but I also thought there'd be some wacky regional martial arts at play, or at least guys who like to hit things.

Is this a cultural disconnect or something? Does Zuffa just have no idea how to get the word out that they're looking for guys who want to fight? Are people unwilling to sign up to some weirdo American thing where you fight in a cage? Hell, no matter how strange it is, the lure of fighting and being on television should be draw enough for some.

Please help me understand.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

I suspect that in China MMA is sub-austrailian in terms of acceptance by the general public and perhaps all the actually talented athletes are competing in actual sports. There's a ton of people in China, sure, but consider the typical talent levels of an American TUF season and imagine no one had ever heard of the UFC in America.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Also there are a bunch of Art of War vets on the show including Ao Hailin.

What Chinese MMA needs is one of their Olympic wrestlers to get broke enough and be dumb enough to train fighting, then you'll see someone capable of not being absolutely terrible.

At this point the most athletic competitor is an actor who doesn't need to fight to make a living because his dad is a baller.

xcore
Jul 11, 2006

Man, I can't wait to check this out. Hoping there are still some healthy links when I get home.

Apart from the hilarious comedy value for the viewers, why on earth did the UFC think this was a good idea?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

xcore posted:

Man, I can't wait to check this out. Hoping there are still some healthy links when I get home.

Apart from the hilarious comedy value for the viewers, why on earth did the UFC think this was a good idea?

To build up a market and brand awareness overseas in a country with a billion people in it?

To try to build names that the Chinese might be willing to pay money to watch fight?

This is a really stupid question, hth.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

xcore posted:

Because China's middle class is going to be bigger than entire countries and people with disposable income are more likely to waste it on dumb poo poo like gay skinhead fighting.

Having UFC-branded shows is good for the UFC's business and helps decouple them from the North American PPV market. 2014 is going to have something like 50 UFC events worldwide, but a good 1/3 of those are not going to be airing in the traditional UFC markets - they want to build the business in places like China and India, and maybe possibly in 5-10 years you'll get stars from those markets.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Yeah, even if this season yields nothing but shame for all of east asia the idea is that a bunch of new people are going to hear about what a UFC is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shizen
Dec 29, 2006

Does china not have any decent fighters? I thought a lot of them fought over in dream and other big asian organizations that can't be that bad.

«4 »