Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Kalman posted:

Who gets sued? Depends on who company X wants to sue, who has money, who's reachable by US legal process, etc. But generally you'd sue A - C is an end user and end user lawsuits aren't something most large companies want to engage in, particularly given the example the RIAA gave as to how it poisons your public image, and B is trickier to prove infringement than A. That said, if B was, say, Google, and A was WhiskeyJuvenile, you probably sue B.

Wouldn't you lose because B is a service provider covered by the safe harbor provisions of the DMCA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Kalman posted:

What part of the DMCA safe harbors do you think covers patent infringement? The safe harbors apply solely to copyright infringement.

Edit: maybe a CDA 230 immunity defense would work, though I think it wouldn't, since publisher and speaker are terms of art which aren't really relevant to the patent context.

I'm dumb and was thinking copyright when you were talking about patent infringement. Ignore me. :confused:

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Kalman posted:

Also, I can't imagine how you could file a complaint with a judge and claim, with a straight face, that you meet the Rule 11 bar for filing without having photos of their studio setup. It's practically unenforceable even if someone did violate it.

What advantage is it for Amazon to have a patent like that? Like, why even spend the time and money to file it?

• Locked thread