Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typical
Mar 19, 2007

ultramiraculous posted:

Pretty clearly amoral. He knows what he's doing and doesn't care. I mean he's willfully keeping his grandson out of school when Morty clearly needs to be there. Any "craziness" is just that he's kinda a single-minded sociopath who doesn't really care about what's best for anyone else as long as he gets to achieve whatever his goals are.

Rick is really smart and regular family earthly stuff to him is so trivial and vanilla. I mean, that guy can go anywhere instantly to any dimension. He doesn't care about family values. But he does NEED Morty, Morty is his little helper...

SymfonyMan posted:

HOW TYPICAL! I know, that's going to get old (years from now). Keep up the great work over there. This should be a great show. Both episodes and the online adventure game have some really clever writing. Just stopping in and saying this show is great. The fact that they go throughout space and not just time makes out like a strange Doctor Who meets Back to the Future and I'm digging everything about it except the belching which seems like it was toned down for episode 2.

I need to keep working on my cartoon so I can have one of these threads one day!

Typical, what do you guys use to animate? I'm currently switching from Flash to Toon Boom and learning the rigging right now. I was wondering if you guys use something similar.

Thanks, I'm not working their right now actually though. We are all waiting for the green light on to season 2, and then artists can be employed again! Also Rick and Morty is done in Harmony/Toonboom and a lot of it is animated in the Philippines! :science: although some revisions are done in house at the Burbank studio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Typical posted:

But he does NEED Morty, Morty is his little helper...

The way you phrase that is half way between cute and creepy.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

WickedHate posted:

The way you phrase that is half way between cute and creepy.

I think it will all be cleared up by Episode 5 or something.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Typical posted:

...We are all waiting for the green light on to season 2, and then artists can be employed again! Also Rick and Morty is done in Harmony/Toonboom and a lot of it is animated in the Philippines!

Well take heart then because I can't imagine this not getting a season 2. Word of mouth should spread pretty soon. Thanks for answering the animation question too. Glad to see I made a good choice to switch from Flash since the coloring in Rick and Morty is great. The pupils in their eyes kind of drive me nuts though!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'd just like to pop into this thread and shout through cupped hands "I told you so!". I was onboard since the youtube shorts, really, but this 2nd episode really knocked it out of the park. I cant wait to see more of this show.

I really did like the strong A and B plots, either of them could have been the A plot, really. I feel like that might be a Harmon strong-suit, as a lot of Community episodes had strong B plots.

I actually liked the more off-kilter Rick of the pilot, but I think the show seems to be taking him in a good direction so far.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'd just like to pop into this thread and shout through cupped hands "I told you so!". I was onboard since the youtube shorts, really, but this 2nd episode really knocked it out of the park.

*Cups Hands* Fuuuuuck youuuuuuu!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I really appreciated how the plots intersected, as soon as the dog thing came up it immediately screamed B plot to me, so seeing that pay off the way it did was pretty rewarding as a viewer.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Tonight, Anotomy Park!

http://video.adultswim.com/rick-and-morty/sneak-speak-anatomy-park.html

Merry Christmas goons

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I had no idea that this short was picked up. It seemed like the least pick-up-able short in the history of shorts.

The doggie episode was really cute :3:.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
JOHN OLIVER!

Yes!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Apparently Dana Carvey is also in this episode, though I haven't figured out who he's playing yet.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
We don't whitewash it either, the pirates are really rapey.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Wow, Jerry found out his mother is not only getting railed by that black guy, but his father watches dressed as Superman.

Also did not expect the bit with Ethan. Wow.

Edit.
The bone train!

Edit 2.
What in the gently caress, giant dude.

Giant naked sky Santa.

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 17, 2013

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
That's why we call it the Bone Train!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hepatitis C is a cool guy,

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Haha, "She has a floppy vagina"

"I don't see how that's a problem"

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

muscles like this? posted:

Haha, "She has a floppy vagina"

"I don't see how that's a problem"

I thought he said puffy vagina.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

We don't whitewash it either, the pirates are really rapey.

This was my favorite line of the night. I am shocked at how much this show has endeared itself to me in one day.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I was craving for another Sci-Fi animated series after Futurama got cancelled (again). So far this is looking fantastic.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Edited For reasons....

Typical fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 27, 2014

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Typical posted:

Heres a cool background from this episode

I usually don't get too sucked in to the animation of a show and sometimes find it annoying but that's not the case wih this show and I am really loving. I gave it a shot as a Hammond/Community fan and have been loving it from the first episode (belch-talking aside). I'm totally fine with them parodying a movie each episode if they keep this tone.

"He's not a pretty girl! He can't just ditch this life and crash someone else's!"

Gumbercules
Jan 12, 2004

These aren't my lamps. These have feet.
If this show keeps up at this pace, it's going to be easily in the running for best cartoon currently on TV.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yeah I thought it had kind of a weird resolution at the end after giant santa hobo explodes (that was delightfully twisted might I add). Probably because I was expecting blondie to eat it because that would be the GRRM thing to do. Seems like maybe they are setting it up for a later thing?

Enjoyed it though, I'll probably stick with the show. Seems like it might be a hard sell for your friends even by Community standards, but it'll just have to grown on people

"did we have a relationship with that guy?" definitely said at least once during King Kong

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Three things.

One. Awesome Episode.

Two. Thanks for giving us, Coloradans the dick. :D

Three. How old is Morty? Despite what the commercial says, I do believe he's 14. Considering he's in High School. Unless he's in one of those middle school/high school hybrids.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

This was my favorite line of the night. I am shocked at how much this show has endeared itself to me in one day.

The Pirates of the Pancreas was the best running gag yet. The payoff at the end was amazing.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Three things.

One. Awesome Episode.

Two. Thanks for giving us, Coloradans the dick. :D

Three. How old is Morty? Despite what the commercial says, I do believe he's 14. Considering he's in High School. Unless he's in one of those middle school/high school hybrids.

Yeah I don't think his age/mental age are going to be very sturdy things. In the first episode, his class was doing simple addition tables during math class..

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Last Chance posted:

Yeah I don't think his age/mental age are going to be very sturdy things. In the first episode, his class was doing simple addition tables during math class..

That doesn't necessarily mean he's younger then fourteen. There are plenty of classes for people who are bad at math, and stuff like that sounds par the course, along with things like simple fractions, multiplication, and sometimes division. I am, in fact, typing this message from one such class(and I'm older then Morty). Him being in a specialized class like that would be consistent with Morty missing so much learning because of Rick.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Dec 17, 2013

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Morty showed a lot more initiative and attitude this episode than other two. It felt a bit strange given his previous appearances.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Morty showed a lot more initiative and attitude this episode than other two. It felt a bit strange given his previous appearances.

At this stage in the game the writers are usually trying to find the characters voices. It takes some time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

Eh, in the first episode Morty talks Rick down from blowing up the world by being assertive.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
I really like this show, and it keeps getting better with each episode. Rick is pretty much a perfect mouthpiece for Dan Harmon's grudges and self-parody.

ashpanash posted:

At this stage in the game the writers are usually trying to find the characters voices. It takes some time.

I thought it was just because he actually had an incentive this time around.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

WickedHate posted:

That doesn't necessarily mean he's younger then fourteen. There are plenty of classes for people who are bad at math, and stuff like that sounds par the course, along with things like simple fractions, multiplication, and sometimes division. I am, in fact, typing this message from one such class(and I'm older then Morty). Him being in a specialized class like that would be consistent with Morty missing so much learning because of Rick.

Well now we know why you're in remedial math.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Frostwerks posted:

Well now we know why you're in remedial math.

It was a slow day because of semester tests in other classes, so we didn't have any work to do.

Eh, in the first episode Morty talks Rick down from blowing up the world by being assertive.
Hey, that was the point of Rick's :airquote:test:airquote:, after all.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I actually prefer how they wrote Morty in this episode. Otherwise he's just a more panicky version of Fry.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Oh man. I just re-watched last nights episode. I definitely did not catch on the firs ttime that the boyfriend's emotional story was that his brother raped him.

:stare:

Armchair Eclectic
Jan 22, 2004

Smellrose

WickedHate posted:

The Pirates of the Pancreas was the best running gag yet. The payoff at the end was amazing.
watching that again, I'm pretty sure Alejandro on the phone was actually voiced by Dan Harmon, which makes Rick's ranting about compromise even funnier given Dan's own reputation for being difficult to work with.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

The world wouldn't have blown up. It was a neutrino bomb, and neutrinos are harmless. and you are being bombarded by them right now... :science:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

SymfonyMan posted:

Well take heart then because I can't imagine this not getting a season 2. Word of mouth should spread pretty soon. Thanks for answering the animation question too. Glad to see I made a good choice to switch from Flash since the coloring in Rick and Morty is great. The pupils in their eyes kind of drive me nuts though!

I really love this show, and I think it's great example of how both writing and art in animation can work together to create something hilarious, but I agree about the pupils. Something is very unsettling about them. Is there a reason for their odd design?

Also, not that I'm complaining, but, does anyone know why Adult Swim is posting these on YouTube? I can understand having their content up on their own site, or the first episode on YouTube, but having the whole season up with no commercials seems kind of unorthodox, even for a network like Adult Swim.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Typical posted:

The world wouldn't have blown up. It was a neutrino bomb, and neutrinos are harmless. and you are being bombarded by them right now... :science:

Well...that's not exactly true.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/73/ :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Man, this show is off to a hell of a start.

• Locked thread