Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SHUT THE gently caress UP ABOUT MOONMEN.

Is my favorite quote so far. poo poo keeps popping in my head, and i keep laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzlegrax
Mar 21, 2013

:ghost: Bustin' Makes Me :ghost:
:ghost: Feel Good
:ghost:
What kills me is that Rick's pro-strats for Roy start with burning up his social security card.

And the aliens who are all amazed and impressed by the gambit.

And the image of Roy running through the backwoods at night, gleefully torching his personal information beneath a full moon.

loving slays me.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I can only imagine the glories Rick took Roy to after that fateful night under the full moon.

I'm betting it involved alcoholism and armed robbery.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

this show is like the best years of the simpsons and futurama

i am so happy that this exists, and that roiland and harmon found each other instead of whatever else could have gone wrong

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
An inter-time-ensional gunfight is a great concept.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

KoRMaK posted:

this show is like the best years of the simpsons and futurama

i am so happy that this exists, and that roiland and harmon found each other instead of whatever else could have gone wrong

I hope this stays good forever.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Grizzlegrax posted:

What kills me is that Rick's pro-strats for Roy start with burning up his social security card.

And the aliens who are all amazed and impressed by the gambit.

And the image of Roy running through the backwoods at night, gleefully torching his personal information beneath a full moon.

loving slays me.

"This guy's takin' Roy off the grid!"

Great stuff.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Meta-Mollusk posted:

Ren & Stimpy got pretty lovely after the second season, but I have to admit that "I Love Chicken" from season 4 is still one of my favorite episodes. I guess there were some other gems there as well, but that's the first one that comes to mind.

edit: lol my English

imo ren and stimpy got way better after john k got canned.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Haverchuck posted:

It's good for people to have wrong opinions. It lets the rest of us feel good about ourselves.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
For some reason, it never occurred to me that Gazorpazorpfield was probably made by Morty's son in another dimension, just like his mentor Brad Anderson did with Marmaduke.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
If you're an alien playing Roy, is that like us playing something like Skyrim? Navigating this crazy fantasy world with it's own unique cultures.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dr_Amazing posted:

If you're an alien playing Roy, is that like us playing something like Skyrim? Navigating this crazy fantasy world with it's own unique cultures.

That's probably :thejoke:, yeah

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Haverchuck posted:

I dunno if it got better quality-wise but it definitely got better in that there wasn't some insane loser elitist piece of poo poo running it

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's likely a reference to the idea that our entire lives might just be a simulation of an advanced civilization. Also a probable reference to the Star Trek: TNG episode, The Inner Light, which was also parodied in the Adventure Time episode, Puhoy.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

JazzFlight posted:

It's likely a reference to the idea that our entire lives might just be a simulation of an advanced civilization. Also a probable reference to the Star Trek: TNG episode, The Inner Light, which was also parodied in the Adventure Time episode, Puhoy.

Puhoy is a very close retelling of a Hindu parable.
http://www.michaelppowers.com/wisdom/maya.htm
I suspect that the episode of TNG was also inspired by it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Paladinus posted:

I knew there had to be an even more ancient root, it's too much of a basic philosophical thought experiment to have been developed recently.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Is there ever another point in the series where Picard says "Thanks to my 50 years of experience living on an alien farm I have some sort of useful knowledge or skill for this situation!"

Cause it seems like you could get Roy a PHD in a different discipline every time you play and get decades of learning done in a few seconds.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is there ever another point in the series where Picard says "Thanks to my 50 years of experience living on an alien farm I have some sort of useful knowledge or skill for this situation!"

Cause it seems like you could get Roy a PHD in a different discipline every time you play and get decades of learning done in a few seconds.

Sort of. He retained the knowledge of how to play an alien flute which he periodically played throughout the rest of the series, though mostly only to himself in his private time. He never demonstrated any practical skills or knowledge picked up from that time.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dr_Amazing posted:

Usually in these kinds of "living an entire lifetime in a few moments" situations you only retain vague dreamlike memories of what transpired, if you even remember anything at all.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Am I the only person who thinks the best moment so far was "I will mess with time!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

VideoTapir posted:

Am I the only person who thinks the best moment so far was "I will mess with time!"

You're definitely not the only one, that was great :haw:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Dr_Amazing posted:

The episode "Lessons" was about this. The long and short of it is he used his flute skills to score with a piano player.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
"If I die in a cage, I lose a bet" is just fantastic.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
If I can I'm gonna try to say "Oh god if there is a hell please be merciful" just before death

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Paladinus posted:

I talked to the guy that wrote the TNG episode when I was in a TV writing class in college and the original pitch was that Picard would get brainjacked by the advertising satellite of a long dead civilization. The producers told him they liked the idea but wanted something less commercial and more, uh, star-trekky so he changed it. From what he told me I doubt he was inspired by that story.

Funnily enough the advertising satellite sounds like a good Rick and Morty idea.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Pakled posted:

Sort of. He retained the knowledge of how to play an alien flute which he periodically played throughout the rest of the series, though mostly only to himself in his private time. He never demonstrated any practical skills or knowledge picked up from that time.

The big difference between Kirk and Picard. Kirk fucks alien women, Picard plays alien flute.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Frostwerks posted:

The big difference between Kirk and Picard. Kirk fucks alien women, Picard plays alien flute.

Not so big as you think - he later used his fruity flute skills to hook up with this chick:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

cenotaph posted:

I talked to the guy that wrote the TNG episode when I was in a TV writing class in college and the original pitch was that Picard would get brainjacked by the advertising satellite of a long dead civilization. The producers told him they liked the idea but wanted something less commercial and more, uh, star-trekky so he changed it. From what he told me I doubt he was inspired by that story.

Funnily enough the advertising satellite sounds like a good Rick and Morty idea.

I don't know, even the title of this episode, Inner Light, is somewhat related to the concept of Maya. See verses 9 and 10 here:
http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/sbe15/sbe15075.htm

Maybe the author wanted to give the story an interesting spin, but ended up retelling it closer to the original. I think it's very unlikely it's just a coincidence.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
loving trekkies, take it to Neckbeards

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I rewatched the pilot, and the pre-credits sequence ends with Rick unconscious and some neutrino bomb powering up and about to explode? Which is a scene we saw a lot in The Simpsons, characters apparently dying or almost dying just before we cut away, for comic effect? And we assume they get rescued or escaped somehow, because that's the usual way to read that scene? I just realised that there's an even chance that was just a parallel universe Rick and Morty, the bomb went off and they died. The rest of the show focuses on a totally unrelated Rick and Morty.

So basically I like that for this show they say "Don't think about it!" not for the usual reason but because thinking about it makes it all even worse.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

qntm posted:

I rewatched the pilot, and the pre-credits sequence ends with Rick unconscious and some neutrino bomb powering up and about to explode? Which is a scene we saw a lot in The Simpsons, characters apparently dying or almost dying just before we cut away, for comic effect? And we assume they get rescued or escaped somehow, because that's the usual way to read that scene? I just realised that there's an even chance that was just a parallel universe Rick and Morty, the bomb went off and they died. The rest of the show focuses on a totally unrelated Rick and Morty.

So basically I like that for this show they say "Don't think about it!" not for the usual reason but because thinking about it makes it all even worse.

After Rick Potion #9, my reading of that scene is that that Rick and Morty did blow up. I love this show.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

VideoTapir posted:

Oh I was pouring myself a scotch during the credits.

Pretty happy I put the glass down, I nearly asphyxiated from laughter.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
It's a dang fine show, dang fine I say!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
This is an AS original right? Cuz this and Venture Bros is enough for me to give adult swim programming two thumbs up on sheer principle.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah AS are a good few years removed from their "lovely 4am stoner programming" reputation now. China, IL is incredible too.

Grizzlegrax
Mar 21, 2013

:ghost: Bustin' Makes Me :ghost:
:ghost: Feel Good
:ghost:

Bown posted:

Yeah AS are a good few years removed from their "lovely 4am stoner programming" reputation now. China, IL is incredible too.

Don't even get me started on China, IL

I've been in love with Brad Neely since before SuperDeluxe died, that adorable snickering troglodyte.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

qntm posted:

Well, also, a neutrino bomb wouldn't kill them anyway.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Funkmaster General posted:

Well, also, a neutrino bomb wouldn't kill them anyway.

Maybe it really was a test.

Going from S2 Rick's personality, I don't think he'd take Morty with him in his suicide, but I think S1E01 Rick is a bit closer to "lick my balls morty" enough to kill Morty maybe.

Grizzlegrax posted:

Don't even get me started on China, IL

I've been in love with Brad Neely since before SuperDeluxe died, that adorable snickering troglodyte.

Same, exactly.

It pains me to see there's no China Il thread.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 5, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Megaspel posted:

Same, exactly.

It pains me to see there's no China Il thread.

Maybe we could start one when season 3 starts up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn
There's also the bit in the pilot where they are attacked by a monster right when they reach the megaseeds planet, as Rick is giving his inspirational show-pitch speech to Morty. It cuts to commercial with Rick shouting that they're going to die and comes back with them just walking along peacefully. So they probably died in that universe as well and we're watching another version of them.

• Locked thread