Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

So for the people that hate reading dicussions about TV shows, what do you come here for? Do you just like it when people type out jokes while watching the show?

There's a difference between discussions, and huge essays about the purported motivations behind fictional characters that people sperg out about.

My man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

prefect posted:

How do you feel about Sherlock Holmes fans forcing Doyle to resurrect the character?

Vicious secondhand embarrassment, but also relief that this sort of insanity isn't new to our generation.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Fictional characters are often real, living people. Examining their motivations is legit, Rick & Morty definitely has consistant characterization and development.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

WickedHate posted:

Fictional characters are often real, living people.

Quoting without comment.

So whats the next episode about? Its next week right?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

MrFlibble posted:

Quoting without comment.

So whats the next episode about? Its next week right?

This can be an actual plot some day.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

I actually want that plot now. "Anime creatures are aliens that come from a really screwed up dimension, why do you think their eyes are so drat big?" and of course go from happy cutesy stuff to tentacles, lots of tentacles. The amount of wrongness and hosed-upness that could appear in such an episode would make it entirely viable. In fact, it seems like a perfect fit with this show.

KoRMaK posted:

It's like finding out that you like a show because its fun and not tedious, and then you go hang out with other people who also like the show and you think it will be a similiar expeireince to the show: fun and not tedious.

But instead you get there and its not fun and IS tedious.

See: bronies for another example of "not being in the spirit of the show"

As kind of an outsider on this thread I agree. I basically found the show and binged it and expected people to be like the Archer thread used to be, mostly talking about animation and poo poo, not trying to analyze characters or try to put logic to the purposely illogical.

As it stands the best thing this thread did is make me aware of the (honestly pretty terrible) old short and origin of the show. I kind of want to see the old shorts between "One joke: Lick my balls" and what the show became, apparently there's a bunch of them.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 4, 2015

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
Some manner of tumblr child having Rick and Morty as headmates would be great because it would help them getting the gently caress over it

"oh geez Rick, maybe we just let this person have this; seems pretty lonely going through some sorta teenage stuff, I kinda get that."
" Shut the gently caress up Morty, first step in getting this guy laid is not having imaginary friends."

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Johnny Truant posted:

There's a difference between discussions, and huge essays about the purported motivations behind fictional characters that people sperg out about.

Didn't know an average of 3-5 lines and 2 paragraphs per post now qualifies as an essay.

Paladinus posted:

TBH, I'm surprised someone hasn't run with this sort of batshit crazy premise before in fiction. And I do mean really run with it, to wherever its insanity leads.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 4, 2015

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
If you haven't read the comics they aren't half bad. Would be kinda neat if there was more cross over.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

CrazyLoon posted:

Didn't know an average of 3-5 lines and 2 paragraphs per post now qualifies as an essay.

Gotta be concise, goonsire

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Zeep and Rick are very much alike, but would Rick go as far as Zeep and enslave his planet to save it, or would he just gently caress off to another timeline because he doesn't care that much?

Also why did that Kyle guy kill himself?

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

Fateo McMurray posted:

The show is just a historical documentary. I mean, this was released in 2005 and in the show the 3rd was new in theaters.

They went in a weird direction for the next installment

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The pasta sauce came first, it's a universe where they used up all the good IPs from movies and had to resort to pasta sauces

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Entropic posted:

The pasta sauce came first, it's a universe where they used up all the good IPs from movies and had to resort to pasta sauces

It's one dimension sideways from the pizzaverse.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Zeep and Rick are very much alike, but would Rick go as far as Zeep and enslave his planet to save it, or would he just gently caress off to another timeline because he doesn't care that much?

Also why did that Kyle guy kill himself?

I think the whole joke was Zeep cared much more about his planet than Rick cared about Earth. He didn't just use his inventions for himself the way Rick does, he was trying to make life easier for his entire species. So no, I don't think Rick would bother to in slave earth to save it like Zeep did. Rick would bail the second he got the chance.

Also: Kyle killed himself in an effort to break the cycle of universal inslavement. His mistake was crashing his ship into a wall instead of crashing it into Rick and Zeep. He probably assumed that leaving them stranded in the teeniverse would be enough to keep them from doing anymore damage; he was wrong.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I think the whole joke was Zeep cared much more about his planet than Rick cared about Earth. He didn't just use his inventions for himself the way Rick does, he was trying to make life easier for his entire species. So no, I don't think Rick would bother to in slave earth to save it like Zeep did. Rick would bail the second he got the chance.

That, plus the tone he used when he said "monster", really does imply Zeep isn't a total clone of Rick. He's got some morals still.

Also: Kyle killed himself in an effort to break the cycle of universal inslavement. His mistake was crashing his ship into a wall instead of crashing it into Rick and Zeep. He probably assumed that leaving them stranded in the teeniverse would be enough to keep them from doing anymore damage; he was wrong.

I think he just had an existential crisis about the pointlessness of his universe and that he missed his father's funeral for the same pointlessness.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

I assumed he killed himself because he saw that his universe had been created by Zeep, whose universe had been created by Rick, and they were both fighting like massive assholes. It's hard not to have your head stuffed into the abyss of nihilism and meaninglessness and not have some kind of reaction.

e:f,b

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Two Inch Bee posted:

They went in a weird direction for the next installment

And to complete the set,

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Let's just get it all out of the way with.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
http://www.nineirishbrothers.com/

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WickedHate posted:

That, plus the tone he used when he said "monster", really does imply Zeep isn't a total clone of Rick. He's got some morals still.

I think he just had an existential crisis about the pointlessness of his universe and that he missed his father's funeral for the same pointlessness.

Agreed, Zeep wasn't nearly as jaded or cruel as Rick was. Not yet at least, maybe his encounter with Rick will turn him into a straight up super villain instead of just an arrogant but ultimately well meaning jerk trying to make life easier for his planet. Rick seems like the kind of guy who's probably made a lot of people turn into super villains, either because he broke them emotionally/psychologically/physically or because he literally created them to be that way (Like that Hitler Lincoln guy).

And yeah, that's another reason Kyle could have had for killing himself. Morty should have told him to just go watch some TV.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Is this the Two Brothers version of Tokyo Drift?

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Rick seems like the kind of guy who's probably made a lot of people turn into super villains, either because he broke them emotionally/psychologically/physically or because he literally created them to be that way (Like that Hitler Lincoln guy).

Abradolf Lincler sacrificed himself for others! He stood for something! (It might have been hard to pin down what he stood for, admittively, but still!)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Lincler was created to be true neutral.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

WickedHate posted:

Lincler was created to be true neutral.

Between him and the episode, where they have to flee to another universe, it's pretty well-established that Rick's a scientific genius in every field, except genetics.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CrazyLoon posted:

Between him and the episode, where they have to flee to another universe, it's pretty well-established that Rick's a scientific genius in every field, except genetics.

You should watch the couch gag Rick and Morty did for the Simpsons

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Ouch...yeah...

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 4, 2015

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

CrazyLoon posted:

Well yeah, sure, she's more assertive than Morty. OTOH this also makes her more of an inconvenient traveling companion than Morty, because while he also objects to Rick's actions like it's been said, he does so privately and is moreso willing to roll with the punches. It's probably the main reason why Rick picked Morty to be his helper, other than the whole: "Uh, I don't adventure with girls." shtick he grew out of.

And as strange as this might sound, I respect Morty a lot more for that than Summer. Yeah, one could say that "at least Summer's not sheeple," but being just a rebellious teenager as the alternative to having Beth as a role-model or putting up with Rick's poo poo is hardly proof of that (plus she's still jealous as hell of Morty having been picked first by Rick). Morty, OTOH, is genuinely braver than her and is willing to tolerate plenty of mindfucks, just to see an adventure through. As a result, sure, Morty comes off as a fair bit less assertive than Summer on the decision-making part of things...but it also means that he follows through and learns more, is still genuinely curious to learn about new multiverse things while Summer prefers to go back to her iPhone, and is also brave enough to keep doing this. And he has his own moral center and does things according to it, not being that concerned with popularity.

The counterpoint, though, is also that while there's no worry whatsoever that Summer would ever turn into Rick, there's a very real chance that Morty might find himself in his shoes one day.

One thing to consider about Rick's traveling companion preferences is that Rick takes Morty because he has to. Morty is his personal cloaking device. He takes Summer with him because he wants to.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

johntfs posted:

One thing to consider about Rick's traveling companion preferences is that Rick takes Morty because he has to. Morty is his personal cloaking device. He takes Summer with him because he wants to.

Rick also gets nervous when Morty isn't around and can't make hit music without his presence, so I'm sure Rick wants him to tag along too.

masteraero
Jun 2, 2013

Steven, are you telling LIES?

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

You should watch the couch gag Rick and Morty did for the Simpsons

"Huh. Wow. Hey, Morty, little tip. (burps) Don’t clean DNA vials with your spit."

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

WickedHate posted:

Rick also gets nervous when Morty isn't around and can't make hit music without his presence, so I'm sure Rick wants him to tag along too.

Rick does want Morty to tag along, but Ricks also needs Morty to tag along. He doesn't need Summer but he still wants her to tag along sometimes.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Rick clearly likes both his grandkids a lot, though I doubt he'd admit it.

Trying to argue whether Morty or Summer is the better person is pointless, what matters it's that they aren't Jerry. As long as they continue to not be Jerry everything will turn out fine.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
It took way too long for me to get the visual gag behind Tinkles.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Parts Kit posted:

It took way too long for me to get the visual gag behind Tinkles.

The uhhh... rainbow lamb? I don't remember a visual gag?

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Rick clearly likes both his grandkids a lot, though I doubt he'd admit it.

Trying to argue whether Morty or Summer is the better person is pointless, what matters it's that they aren't Jerry. As long as they continue to not be Jerry everything will turn out fine.

Rick likes both of his grandkids now. My point is that Rick has widened the circle of beings that he really cares about. Last season he was quite happy to abandon Summer to eek out an existence on Crononberg-world with Beth and Jerry. This season if something Cronenberged the world, he'd probably take Morty and Summer with him. He'd still likely leave Beth and Jerry behind, and who could really blame him?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I mean, mathematically speaking, Morty and Summer are both pieces of poo poo.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
It's pretty cute that Rick took his grandkids out to the movies and ice cream. :3:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Philip Rivers posted:

I mean, mathematically speaking, Morty and Summer are both pieces of poo poo.

Well, that's what happens when you only consider human beings not by height or age but by the amount of pain in your rear end.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mutation posted:

It's pretty cute that Rick took his grandkids out to the movies and ice cream. :3:

Too bad Summer had to ruin it with her boobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

CrazyLoon posted:

Well, that's what happens when you only consider human beings not by height or age but by the amount of pain in your rear end.

Pieces of poo poo giving Rick pain in his rear end? Might be worth seeing a doctor about. :rimshot:

• Locked thread