Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Android Blues posted:

I liked how it felt somewhat less mean than the pilot. Rick and Morty get along a bit better, and the solutions they find to their problems are actually weirdly cool and (sort of?) pacifistic. I was totally expecting the hammer to drop on, "oh, yeah, that dimensional portal actually leads to a gigantic pool of lava, you won't be seeing those guys again", but the show wound up being less cynical and cruel than I expected it to be.

Yeah this is a big part of why I'm liking the show so far. Looking at the cover I assumed Rick would be an insufferable rear end in a top hat, but he ends up being strangely chill. I also assumed Morty would be a Homer Simpson style idiot, but he ends up being really grounded. All of that really helps to make the characters enjoyable instead of aggravating like in a lot of animated comedies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Any word on ratings? I always assumed that Adult Swim ignored Nielsen ratings in favor of watching the number of funyon and dorito sales

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Nichael posted:

I really love this show, and I think it's great example of how both writing and art in animation can work together to create something hilarious, but I agree about the pupils. Something is very unsettling about them. Is there a reason for their odd design?

Also, not that I'm complaining, but, does anyone know why Adult Swim is posting these on YouTube? I can understand having their content up on their own site, or the first episode on YouTube, but having the whole season up with no commercials seems kind of unorthodox, even for a network like Adult Swim.

The episodes are removed after one week.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Alan Smithee posted:

Any word on ratings? I always assumed that Adult Swim ignored Nielsen ratings in favor of watching the number of funyon and dorito sales

Go to TVMediaInsights.com and look at their Adult Swim ratings section.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

livingfruitvirus posted:

Go to TVMediaInsights.com and look at their Adult Swim ratings section.

quote:

1 FAMILY GUY Wed 11:30PM-12:00AM 30 1.8 2804
2 FAMILY GUY Wed 11:00PM-11:30PM 30 1.8 2654
3 FAMILY GUY Sat 11:30PM-12:00AM 30 1.6 2563
4 FAMILY GUY Tue 11:30PM-12:00AM 30 1.6 2460
5 FAMILY GUY Tue 11:00PM-11:30PM 30 1.6 2414
6 FAMILY GUY Fri 11:30PM-12:00AM 30 1.4 2365
7 FAMILY GUY Fri 11:00PM-11:30PM 30 1.4 2300
8 FAMILY GUY Thu 11:30PM-12:00AM 30 1.6 2280
9 THE CLEVELAND SHOW Mon 11:30PM-12:00AM 30 1.4 2141
10 FAMILY GUY Sun 11:30PM-12:00AM 30 1.5 2121

27 RICK & MORTY Mon 10:30PM-11:00PM 30 1.0 1510

:(

edit - Good for Rick & Morty, bad for America. I didn't know anyone actually watched The Cleveland Show.

Ariza fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Dec 18, 2013

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
My DVR refused to record this episode for some reason...

But it was awesome. I don't know why, but I look forward to this show each week more than almost any other I'm watching right now. It really has this season 2 Futurama vibe, it's very weird and every joke seems to hit the mark.

When I first heard they were making a show from the Doc & Mharti sketch, I was for sure not going to be interested... I really, really dig this show.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Jack posted:

When I first heard they were making a show from the Doc & Mharti sketch, I was for sure not going to be interested... I really, really dig this show.

How this amazing show came out of Doc and Mharti is still beyond me. So much of the shorts was just straight up terrible, and they managed to fix basically all of it, minus, notably, the belching. ...belching is definitely still there.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

ultramiraculous posted:

How this amazing show came out of Doc and Mharti is still beyond me. So much of the shorts was just straight up terrible, and they managed to fix basically all of it, minus, notably, the belching. ...belching is definitely still there.

But thankfully, it is even much fixed from the pilot, where Rick had constant barf-face and belched every other word. I haven't been bothered by it really at all in the later two episodes.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Hepatitis-C being just a really cool guy was by far my favorite joke on TV this year.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

Ariza posted:

:(

edit - Good for Rick & Morty, bad for America. I didn't know anyone actually watched The Cleveland Show.

Pretty much anything from FOX will dominate the top spots as a given. That and Robot Chicken. #27 is actually pretty good for a new original [as] show.

Compare it to the latest season of Venture Brothers, for example, whose highest spot was #34 and tended to stick around the #50-60 range.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
It sure helps that it gets a coveted 10:30 spot.

Why the hell were the Venture premieres at midnight (instead of 11/11:30) anyway?

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...
I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I love the hell out of this show. I just lost it at Rick's convulsive, "They're building a piece of poo poo inside you, Ethan!" at the end of the last one. I actually love what they've done with Rick in general. I mean, he's clearly crazed and a terrible person, but he's not entirely amoral. He just has this weird honor code/anti-fakeness/refusal to compromise thing going on to an excessive degree.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

That Rough Beast posted:

He just has this weird honor code/anti-fakeness/refusal to compromise thing going on to an excessive degree.

Don't forget his hatred for bureaucracy and being told what to do.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...
Yeah, it's a consistent trait. He's obviously legitimately sympathetic towards Scary Terry and Reuben as well. I thought it was strange that the show specifically took the time to tell the viewers that Reuben consented to have Anatomy Park built inside him. There was probably no reason to even tell him, but maybe Rick respects freedom of choice? Or maybe it was just to get the movie theater/dot com bubble joke in the episode.

I like this show enough to speculate about it stupidly, so I guess it's doing something right for me.

wagnike2
May 31, 2007

Lucha LaBOOM
This show rules, that's all I can say. Watched the first 3 episodes and was impressed.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Watched the first 3 episodes last night; definitely my favourite animated show since Bob's Burgers found it's stride.

It's just incredibly enjoyable to watch and hilarious. The characters are all excellent. Really hope it keeps going at this pace.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
RICK AND MORTY FOREVER FOR A HUNDRED YEARS RICK AND MORTY

A hundred times rick and morty

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

HOW COULD YOU posted:

RICK AND MORTY FOREVER FOR A HUNDRED YEARS RICK AND MORTY

A hundred times rick and morty

This is definitely the scene that hooked me in, something hilarious about the ravings of a lunatic taking advantage of his dim grandson.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Corte posted:

This is definitely the scene that hooked me in, something hilarious about the ravings of a lunatic taking advantage of his dim grandson.

Same here. I wish there was a video of that scene being recorded in the booth or something. It must've been amazing.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I sort of like how 'Morty' is almost a punctuation mark in that speech. I think I counted Rick saying it over 20 times.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Corte posted:

It's the perfect parody of the "hook" scene that's at the end of almost every pilot, too.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

Armchair Eclectic posted:

watching that again, I'm pretty sure Alejandro on the phone was actually voiced by Dan Harmon, which makes Rick's ranting about compromise even funnier given Dan's own reputation for being difficult to work with.

That was definitely voiced by Kumail Nanjiani who is a friend of Dan's (he was also Prison in Adventure Time).

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
I'm still stunned that the Doc and Mharti short is actually the basis for a show on actual television. It's great. It's also too bad that House of Cosbys (another one of Roiland's earlier projects) received a cease and desist letter, otherwise we might be seeing that on Adult Swim.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
On demanded the first 3 episodes, what a great show. Going into my rotation for sure. It really just hits everything just right with me comedy and animation wise. One thing I noticed is at the end of the inception episode not only does Morty recoil in disgust when his sister hugs him, he recoils because she hugs his face into her breasts. Which is probably pretty weird for him! Theres a surprising amount of funny sexual humor in the show.

That dumpster full of testicles though :barf:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jerkface posted:

Theres a surprising amount of funny sexual humor in the show.

I like how for a good chunk of the episode, you feel like with tweaks it could be a great show for kids/adults to enjoy alike. Then crazy poo poo happens and you realise that there's no way children should ever be allowed to watch Rick and Morty. Forever Rick and Morty. Dot com.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Armchair Eclectic posted:

watching that again, I'm pretty sure Alejandro on the phone was actually voiced by Dan Harmon, which makes Rick's ranting about compromise even funnier given Dan's own reputation for being difficult to work with.

I'm sure that whole running gag was poking fun at Harmon's frequent battles with whoever's in charge of what he's writing. "It's kinda my baby."

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
First episode dragged in the beginning but the shootout at the "terminal" was hilarious. "Don't worry they're just robots!"

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I'm really enjoying this show. Plus, reading this thread cropped up a bunch of jokes I didn't pick up on while watching!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
One thing I liked about the lawnmower dog episode was that Rick built the brain thingy to accept more power which would of course make the dog smarter. He could have avoided the whole incident by only allowing room for the 1 battery but he purposefully built it to accept more?!? Good guy, Rick.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jerkface posted:

One thing I liked about the lawnmower dog episode was that Rick built the brain thingy to accept more power which would of course make the dog smarter. He could have avoided the whole incident by only allowing room for the 1 battery but he purposefully built it to accept more?!? Good guy, Rick.

Rick is a very opinionated guy. He starts off saying having a smart dog is a bad idea, but he does it anyway. The extra power was left in to make sure he would be proven right, and the dad would be wrong. He really, really doesn't like his son-in-law, and will endanger the future of humanity just to be a dick to him.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I just found out about this show from the gif thread. It was described to me as "It's like if in Back to the Future Marty was younger and Doc was his alcoholic meth addicted grandpa"

God drat, what a lot of fun.

I love that Morty's father is Cyril Figgus from Archer. Hell, it's almost the same character.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

Typical posted:

Heres a cool background from this episode

I love behind-the-scenes stuff like this, thanks. :)

Rocketfish
Jul 2, 2007

*pshew!*
Thanks!
As a long-time listener to Dan Harmon's podcast, I have just a couple of insights I'd like to share (and if this starts a shitstorm, I am so sorry :( )

1.) I'm pretty sure Rick is based on how Dan views himself
2.) While Harmon is a raving alcoholic and filled with self-loathing, he's also a humanist and a hell of a writer. You can expect pretty much every episode to be just about this good.
3.) Rick and Morty is a show that Dan really, really enjoys making. It's low key and underground so he can have all the creative control he wants, but it's still on cable so people will actually watch it.

What I'm trying to say is that this show is going to be great, and it doesn't actually matter what the ratings are. This is Adult Swim we're talking about. If they like a show, they'll keep it going. Look at how long Aqua Teen Hunger Force has been around. The rules of the real world don't apply here (thank god).

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I'm going to be teaching a lab class for Human A&P this upcoming semester at a local community college and my friends are trying to convince me to show the Anatomy Park episode the first day of class for a laugh. I totally would if I could get away with it :negative:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Just finished watching all three eps. This is the first Adult Swim show I've liked since The Venture Brothers.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
This show's pretty drat awesome. Pirates of the Pancreas sounds like a terrible ride.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
But they're really rapey!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Still a week until the next episode, dammit. Well, could be worse. Could be Gravity Falls.

Or Venture Brothers.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The theme music to this has really grown on me. Kind of an echo of Doctor Who in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

According to Roiland, the theme music was supposed to be a mesh between Doctor Who and Farscape.

• Locked thread