Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMEvIvNBu-Y

Summer/Spencer is a loving babe... dayyyymmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Craig Harris forever times one thousand. Justin Roiland and Craig Harris adventures.com

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Forget animatics. Just film interviews instead of episodes and I'll be fine with that.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Well, new life goal added, trade pokemon with Justin Roiland.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Is there a date for season 2?

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

no

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Rocksicles posted:

When I went to Google her to see what else Spence Grammar has been in the first autocomplete suggestion following her name was "feet." Thanks internet.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

When I went to Google her to see what else Spence Grammar has been in the first autocomplete suggestion following her name was "feet." Thanks internet.

I think that's the case with pretty much every actress in Hollywood.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

Justin Roiland really wants to know where Craig Harris went.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
So Summer became more important because of her actress' work? That's nice! I really liked her character, I felt the exact same way they've described here, like she was one-note and unimportant in the beginning, and then she just became more and more important. It was great!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Took a look at an old post

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah I thought it had kind of a weird resolution at the end after giant santa hobo explodes (that was delightfully twisted might I add). Probably because I was expecting blondie to eat it because that would be the GRRM thing to do. Seems like maybe they are setting it up for a later thing?

Enjoyed it though, I'll probably stick with the show. Seems like it might be a hard sell for your friends even by Community standards, but it'll just have to grown on people

"did we have a relationship with that guy?" definitely said at least once during King Kong

Funny enough I introduced it to a couple (goon) friends of mine and we watched up to Anatomy Park and the reception was kinda icy at first. One even used the "I would probably enjoy if I was high right now" which I typically reserve for the Swimmiest of Adult Swim. Few weeks later another is posting Wuba quotes and apparently her and the fiance watched season 1 several times over already. [/Rick and Morty success stories]

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

X_Toad posted:

So Summer became more important because of her actress' work? That's nice! I really liked her character, I felt the exact same way they've described here, like she was one-note and unimportant in the beginning, and then she just became more and more important. It was great!

I think Summer had a really distinctive tone to her character from the get-go where she has a level of empathy and wisdom that's a little beyond what a normal 17-year-old would have, but she's still very tied up in a shallow, short-sighted high school environment. In just the second episode she has the great line

quote:

"Dad, you can't endow a being with sentience and then just rip it away!"
"Why not?"
"I dunno, it's like, indian giving?"

which I think is quintessentially her because at one moment she's showing real moral concern for another living thing and then immediately following it up with a carelessly offensive expression.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
I always like the way she hugs Morty when he and Rick come back, you could see the affection when she laughed when Terry threatened to ground Morty at the beginning. And of course Morty had to break that hug because he just had a particularly creepy encounter with a fantasy version of his sister that he would very much like to bleach away.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love Summer in the Needful Things episode, where again she has this bizarre mix of introspection/genuinely mature logic and teenage superficiality.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
"God, did I really set the bar that low?"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Has it been mentioned that Spencer Grammar is Kelsey's daughter?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Summer is probably one of the best characters because I love how Rick's version of revenge is to do an DMX steroid building montage and beat the poo poo out of the Devil. And she was ok with it.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Shindragon posted:

Summer is probably one of the best characters because I love how Rick's version of revenge is to do an DMX steroid building montage and beat the poo poo out of the Devil. And she was ok with it.

That's all made even better when you consider that the additional beatdowns Summer and Rick handed out at the end of the episode were almost certainly Summer's idea. Think about the characters. Rick is generally indifferent to anything not directly affecting him or his family. Roiding up and beating the Devil came from him. Left to his own devices, Rick would've beaten the Devil and gone back home satisfied that justice/vengeance had been done.

Summer, however, cares about the wider world and wants to pitch in and help. In this case she helps by bringing hypermuscular rear end-stompings to the deserving: Nazis, bullies, those Westboro asshats and people being mean to doggies.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
BITCH PLEASE!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I like this one: http://labs.echonest.com/Uploader/index.html?trid=TRHSQMZ138F81B4A39

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Pick posted:

I love Summer in the Needful Things episode, where again she has this bizarre mix of introspection/genuinely mature logic and teenage superficiality.
What was the teenage superficiality in this one? Her envy of Morty when he spends so much time with Rick?

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Summer's highschool hijinx are the weakest part of her character and one of the most mundane and unexceptional parts of the show. "High school sucks, popular kids are terrible" is boring and trite enough in a regular show, having it done in Rick & Morty when you know it could be doing literally anything else just makes it worse.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Summer's highschool hijinx are the weakest part of her character and one of the most mundane and unexceptional parts of the show. "High school sucks, popular kids are terrible" is boring and trite enough in a regular show, having it done in Rick & Morty when you know it could be doing literally anything else just makes it worse.

How often does that come up? It's used hilariously in Meeseeks and Destroy. The pilot's the only place where she seems stereotypical. Harmon and Roiland point out how Spencer's work led to them writing her in a far more interesting manner after that point.

Like, the pilot in a vacuum is a great piece of television, but compared to all but one or two of the other episodes it's crap.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Hah, I heard about that site on bbc news's "click" technology programme but I completely forgot about it. Make any song last forever! Brilliant. Thank you so much.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Pander posted:

How often does that come up? It's used hilariously in Meeseeks and Destroy. The pilot's the only place where she seems stereotypical. Harmon and Roiland point out how Spencer's work led to them writing her in a far more interesting manner after that point.

Like, the pilot in a vacuum is a great piece of television, but compared to all but one or two of the other episodes it's crap.

There was the house party but again the high school party to score points with the cool kids thing was matched by Ricks earnest desire to get riggidy-wrecked son. And we got a fight with the jock with the amalgamation of Hitler and Lincoln. So yeah... not hating it either. Also Bird person seemed happy with how things worked out I think.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's not great, but it barely even registers as a plot point. The slo-mo disintegration of the parents' marriage is more of a drag. Not that those plotlines are terrible by any means, but stuff like the "Titanic" subplot and the dimensional goggles didn't reach the heights of all the other material.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Panel's up

http://video.adultswim.com/convention-panels/sdcc-2014-rick-and-morty-panel.html

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

It's not great, but it barely even registers as a plot point. The slo-mo disintegration of the parents' marriage is more of a drag. Not that those plotlines are terrible by any means, but stuff like the "Titanic" subplot and the dimensional goggles didn't reach the heights of all the other material.

Yeah any time the show goes to school it's really just there to gently caress around and subvert it, like the bully in the pilot who sets himself up as an antagonist and then just dies. The divorce stuff is actually played straight a few times and it's honestly kind of a bummer.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sweet, they're going to do a "Rixty Minutes" every season.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Starburns Finnaly has a store. the first peices of official rick and Morty Merch.

https://sbi-store.myshopify.com/

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Eh, that's pretty weak.

thousandcranes
Sep 25, 2007

I like the high school/divorce stuff. It gives the show a grounding in reality so that you really appreciate planet of greasy grandmas or whatever.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The high school stuff didn't bother me so much, since they usually twisted it in some way. The bully/romantic entanglement who is instantly freeze-rayed to death, the anti-flu dance, even the blowout party in the finale ends with Summer being ostracized by her peers.

One of the weakest subplots for me was the Titanic bit. Maybe I'm just a Titanic-nerd ( :downsrim: ), but seeing them set up Jerry's interest in the ship all season, I expected a little more. I was also soured by how they trivialized Jerry's rape scene, after taking Morty's so seriously. Doing it more tongue-in-cheek at the end of the season lessens what they did with Morty in the Meeseeks episode, for me, which is also disappointing.

That these are even my complaints tells you how good this show is. Is it season two yet?

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
The boring high school stuff in the first episode involved the John Bender analogue getting frozen in his second appearance then shattering in his third.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

This was breakfast today at the office.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Typical posted:

This was breakfast today at the office.

Erin's gettin really good with that fondant

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

"Way to see race, bigot... next question."

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Maybe I'm just a hater of Robot Chicken, but it feels good that it only got like 800 views and Rick and Morty are over 15K. Nice to see China IL had even more.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Children's Hospital needs more love :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

AxeManiac posted:

Maybe I'm just a hater of Robot Chicken, but it feels good that it only got like 800 views and Rick and Morty are over 15K. Nice to see China IL had even more.

You wanna hate on Robot Chicken some more see if you can find the Dino Stamatopolous's commentary on season 3 of Moral Orel.

God drat...Robot Chicken is still running?

• Locked thread