Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Was waiting for this show to get its own thread...

Hello, I am a person who worked on Rick and Morty, I can facilitate any questions you may have about the show. Also I will shamelessly cross post this from the adult swim mega thread as it seems to be better suited here.

readingatwork posted:

Oh, sweet!

2) What do you do on the show?

3) How long does each episode take to make?

2 I worked in Color Key, Which is essentially coloring the Line art that the Character designers and Prop designers give us. We give the Models of the fully colored Characters and Props to the animation company and their artists just drop in our colors. Its animated in Toon Boom so the program does a pretty good job at moving around colors as you animate. Since The pilot has already aired. its okay for me to show you these. but don't post them anywhere. The Production company (Star Burns Industries) probably doesn't want too much production art out there.

I Colored things like this, which you can see in the Thanksgiving Promo. I also got to draw the turkey from several different angles

You would have to color 15-20 things a Day, I got pretty fast at it. I cant Share anything else that I colored because the stuff I did isn't until episode 6. But I can show you some cool Color Keys from the pilot.

Here is Ricks Shuttlecraft,

I've seen a lot of iterations of color on this before. and none of them quite as good as the actual colors that were used in the episode. Ricks Science stuff has a set of color rules. Every thing he makes has to be made out of junk. so its all very grey ish and Brown. Its actually very hard to color. There are only small pieces of glowing "sci fi" ish looking parts of anything Rick works on. Once the Prop is Colored, they place it onto the background to see if it matches up okay, And from there the art director changes the colors as needed to make sure everything looks nice together.

Some of the more impressive creatures get thought about a lot. And 3 or 4 people make adjustments to the final color and design before its approved. This is C'thulu from the opening credits.

(I inked this but it ended up not being used)

The lead Colorist from the Show worked on Fish Hooks. He is pretty incredible when it comes to Concept ish looking paintings. and He was able to bring alot to a show that was essentially in the genre of "Prime Time" Animation. The pilot was made over a year ago by a different set of people, So the art will change a bit. I would say for the most part that the colors improve. And there are a lot more interesting back ground characters introduced. Some of the backgrounds and space ships for the next few espisodes are really impressive. I hope you all stick around to watch.

3. I think from start to finish an episode takes a bout 6-8 months. but several are being worked on at once. For rick and morty. The writing for episode 1 started in December of 2012. And people began story boarding and doing design work in February. Color people didn't even come in until April I think. And we started getting animation back from the first episode in Late September. Its hard to say really, how long it takes 1 single episode. but for for a whole season It takes a bout a year. There will be 10 more episodes of rick any morty. In my job specifically I had about 2 weeks to color all the props, characters, vehicles. spaceships. forks, knives, tires, bracelets, costumes and etc, in 2 weeks for each episode. I finished early So i got to assist in Coloring for the Backgrounds which take a Really long time. I think one artist spends a day or a day and a half on each Background.

Typical fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Dont Miss Tonights Episode, Lawnmower Dog.

Those without cable can watch it online here

http://video.adultswim.com/rick-and-morty/lawnmower-dog.html

And the Reviews are pouring in from all over

Her Brother sounds cool.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

PicklePants posted:

I really enjoy the show. It's just so wonderfully demented with how Rick views the world.

Dig the art, too.

I've been excited about it since I've seen the first previews for it, and it's not disappointed me at all. Vibrant worlds, interesting locations, creature and prop designs.

Typical, didn't you also do a try out for Steven Universe?

The creature designs for the next episode are pretty amazing. lots of monsters and stuff.

And yeah I took a test Steven, But there really wasn't any jobs open for that. Also SU is a really hard show to get on to. My friend who did color with me on Rick and Morty (hes fantastic, worked on BG's for the clone wars) couldn't get hired there even though his test was amazing.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Yeah with all the reference humor it could easily become lazy like Family guy but they really do a better job of weaving it into the actual plot instead of just dropping here and there

There will be a lot of reference humor, But it depends on the episode. not all episodes are theme based. A lot of the times its just weird Justin humor, which doesn't always makes sense, or it might seem like its referencing something, but then just be nothing in particular. Also the show is sometimes a vehicle for Justins ideas that were never realized. Like the 11 minute board driven dog universe. I think that was some sort of failed Justin pitch.

Edit, Yes, I found some info on that

quote:

Ryan Ridley

Justin and I actually wrote a pilot for Cartoon Network a few years ago called "Dog World" about this very dimension that technically makes "Lawnmower Dog" a prequel. It was shelved in lieu of "Rick and Morty", but the animatic exists somewhere. The random and inside baseball reference Rick makes at the end to it being "board driven" is something Harmon wrote in as a way to plant a seed, but more likely something to make us laugh that somehow made it to air.
I do a few random characters throughout the season. Listen carefully!

Typical fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 12, 2013

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

ultramiraculous posted:

Pretty clearly amoral. He knows what he's doing and doesn't care. I mean he's willfully keeping his grandson out of school when Morty clearly needs to be there. Any "craziness" is just that he's kinda a single-minded sociopath who doesn't really care about what's best for anyone else as long as he gets to achieve whatever his goals are.

Rick is really smart and regular family earthly stuff to him is so trivial and vanilla. I mean, that guy can go anywhere instantly to any dimension. He doesn't care about family values. But he does NEED Morty, Morty is his little helper...

SymfonyMan posted:

HOW TYPICAL! I know, that's going to get old (years from now). Keep up the great work over there. This should be a great show. Both episodes and the online adventure game have some really clever writing. Just stopping in and saying this show is great. The fact that they go throughout space and not just time makes out like a strange Doctor Who meets Back to the Future and I'm digging everything about it except the belching which seems like it was toned down for episode 2.

I need to keep working on my cartoon so I can have one of these threads one day!

Typical, what do you guys use to animate? I'm currently switching from Flash to Toon Boom and learning the rigging right now. I was wondering if you guys use something similar.

Thanks, I'm not working their right now actually though. We are all waiting for the green light on to season 2, and then artists can be employed again! Also Rick and Morty is done in Harmony/Toonboom and a lot of it is animated in the Philippines! :science: although some revisions are done in house at the Burbank studio.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

WickedHate posted:

The way you phrase that is half way between cute and creepy.

I think it will all be cleared up by Episode 5 or something.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Tonight, Anotomy Park!

http://video.adultswim.com/rick-and-morty/sneak-speak-anatomy-park.html

Merry Christmas goons

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Edited For reasons....

Typical fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 27, 2014

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Eh, in the first episode Morty talks Rick down from blowing up the world by being assertive.

The world wouldn't have blown up. It was a neutrino bomb, and neutrinos are harmless. and you are being bombarded by them right now... :science:

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

The network cares and does censor things. They usually send us back notes on some of the production art if they wanted it to be changed. For instance. they didn't want too too much gore, I had to re-color an alien intestine pink because they didn't want it to look too real.

Edited For reasons....

Typical fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 27, 2014

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

WickedHate posted:

An alien intestine has to be pink, but the ending of Anatomy Park was allowed? :stonk:

Yeah, I have no Idea. It just is okay for some reason.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

The design for the c'thulu mouth is supposed to be pretty horrific and vaginal. It was drawn by James Mcdermott. I remember him showing me the sketches on his computer while we had a dry humor conversation about how attractive it looked. James said that although he found the drawing appealing sexually, it wasn't as enticing as his wife's who just had a baby.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

soon...

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

I'm Sure you can all wait 20 more hours.

Can't show you this till it airs

Soon

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Official Youtube video is up now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUJf3ZrUccE

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Edited For reasons....

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Hazo posted:

Did you guys air out of order or was your pilot just #100?

Pilot is #100
Lawnmower dog is #101
Anatomy park is #105
Scammer Aliens/Mnight Shyam Aliens is #103

They pushed production of anatomy park faster because it was Christmas themed. I think they might continue to air them slightly out of order. but don't quote me on that.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Hey, dude that works on this show, are all the scenes from the opening credits pulled from episodes that we haven't seen yet? Like robot Morty and pregnant Jerry?

Justin Roiland doesn't want you to know the answer to that.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Yeah holy crap that guy is good. And he can compose for anything.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Edited For reasons....

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Edited For reasons....

Typical fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 27, 2014

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

How are the ratings? I stopped subbing cable so I just watch from Youtube since that's the most direct way I can support it. Suprised AS is doing it though I imagine they don't do it for every show

The ratings are good, like 1.5 million viewers usually. plus online viewership wich is good. they really need people to watch online / buy the youtube/itunes episodes

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a new ep tonight?

A HUNDRED MONDAYS RICK AND MORTY, RICK AND MORTY AND MONDAY FOREVER DOT COM

Yes there will be. I forgot to post about it.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Wuhao posted:

what happened to Typical? We scared him off :ohdear:

can't wait til next week when frivolity returns

He finished inking the season, and gleefully ceased to exist.

I'm here but I'm choosing not to participate because I have poor writing/persuasive skills and cannot express my opinion about anything serious without sounding stupid.

I may or may not agree with some people in the thread about some scenes.

OH also I am currently back at work at the Rick and Morty Studio doing some color work on an unrelated new pilot. it's by a lot of the same people I'll share it with you when it gets released.

AND NEW EPISODE on Monday.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

My wo

SymfonyMan posted:

Yeah, it's nice that the giant world they visited also had a giant Abraham Lincoln.

Hey, Typical, I'm starting color art on my solo cartoon in Toon Boom. Any shortcut tips you can give from someone that's actually being paid to use it? :) Do you do any of the rigging or is that all done by the overseas studio?

I do my design work in photoshop. and then they assemble every thing in the character builds over seas. but there are Toon boom/ Harmony people at the office. I will ask them today.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Does it involve several clones of a certain aging former stand-up comic/sitcom star?

I have clearly stepped over my privileges as an employee, and Now I need to retract my statement of their being a season 2. Nothing is confirmed and please don't listen to me.

Typical fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 27, 2014

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Everything is okay, I just really need to cut down on stuff that is hearsay and conversations that are only supposed to be at the office. And I really should't be talking on anyone's behalf. But yeah. Thread will go on. and everything will be A Okay.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

If your sounds all messed up I feel for you. But here's the Adult swim YouTube with a nice 1080p version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SutlAKqlmNo

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

I think its because high concept comes off as sounding conceptual cool sci-fi oriented. It might not be the high concept in the academic film sense. Most people don't know what "high concept" really means.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

its official now Sperg-Lords! Rejoice! More animated Rick adventures to satisfy your eyeball cravings,

SEASON 2!!!!

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

zoux posted:

Atone for your egregious non thread reading by answering my episode order question.

I have no idea how many there will be, also I probably couldn't say even if i did know.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

I'd be curious to see how much something like Archer costs to make vs something more traditional like American Dad. I remember the Venture Bros pilot looking like it was made in flash but I'm certain they moved on from that to some sort of sweatshop labor.

Archer is surprisingly expensive. And American Dad, Venture Brothers, along with Family guy, China Il., Axe Cop, and many other shows are done in flash.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

I wanted to show you the office, but its dark in there. the lights are off so the artists can see the cintiq's screen better.

Typical fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 14, 2014

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Planet Piss posted:

The most beautiful part of the Meeseeks storyline is that Summer and Morty's mom ask for these nebulous, vague ideas, which end up being simple for the Meeseeks. Morty's dad asks for something relatively simple and almost gets people killed for it. Everything I've thought would be cliche in this show has been turned on its head and I love it!

I drew a Mr. Meeseeks a while ago too:

you should tweet that to justin or the facebook page and they might feature it.

Chairman Mao posted:

I absolutely love the idea that the people making this show live and work in perpetual darkness, their offices lit only by the bleak glow of their wacom tablets.

Most studios are pretty much this. but its a happy and relaxing atmosphere.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

New episode Next week, Also Here are some cool color design sketches made by James Mcdermott, who is the Art director for Rick and Morty.

quote:

James Writes

The top 5 are quick rough concept sketches providing a starting off point for the design and color palette to get the mood of a sequence and get the conversation started. The top one is my favorite, the ending to the Love potion #9 episode in what looks like a hopeless post apocalyptic world. The next one was for Anatomy Park, a first attempt at the haunted liver, the stringy meatball looking monster was the start to what became of the tuberculosis character. The spaceship rough was started on the shape of a dumbell and ended up being the final ship design. The Rick and Morty cronenbergs were so fun to make and were some of the first couple to be nailed down. We figured out early on that it would be intriguing if the cronenbergs were an amalgamation of various elements, i.e. what would your grandmother mixed with a baby and an alley cat look like, possibilities are endless, some of the seasons best characters were generated for that episode based on that idea. Next are some quick initial roughs of Prince Nebulon played by David Cross, the one second to the left was the jumping off point for the final design.

http://jamesmcdermott2011.blogspot.com/

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

lovely Wizard posted:

New preview, preview itself starts at 45 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB1IRw9pIb0

That guy was Jason Boesch, my supervisor, He's the lead color designer. His job was basically to paint the really complex stuff that needed really specific and cool colors, and then match all the other colors that were coming in from the other artists to match the look and feel. He is pretty amazing.

Also I painted that pawn shop planet thing at 46 seconds.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Been waiting almost a year for this,

Thats me, the 3rd Color Key artist

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Gumby posted:

Did anybody else notice the version of Game of Thrones where Tyrion is normal-size, everyone else is a dwarf, and they all still hate him?

I like the randomness of this show so much.

I loved this gag, I was really excited when they gave me that shot to color.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Barry Convex posted:

So many great moments.

And for the record, I would totally see Last Will and Testimeow: Weekend at Dead Cat Lady's House II.

And the spider-teddy. And DAD'S IN CLOUD ATLAS

Nice, I colored both of these.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

I can share some of this stuff with you now that this episode is out.

Here are two vehicles i worked on from episode 8, I only did the coloring. I believe they were originally drawn by our super amazing prop designer Eunji Lee Roess! The final colors in the episode are not exactly the ones I have here, they would have been tweaked and corrected by our amazing color lead Jason Boesche

here are some background I worked on for episode 108! We were running late on some stuff so I got to help out with these backgrounds for the Rixty Minutes episode. the bottom two are from the two brothers sequence, I was a color artists, So i only did the coloring for these. I had some help from our amazing color, who took the time to show me exactly what the art direction was. He really helped show me how the lighting would work for the explosion sequence, which came out really nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

I hope you guys are ready for season 2, Its gearing up soon, And this year I will be returning as a :siren: Prop Designer :siren:

A Prop for you non production people is a object that a character interacts with, So all the spaceships, spoons, gadgets, vehicles you see in season 2 will be draw by me! hopefully. Unless the art director wants to do it himself.

Oh also you better watch Community this Thursday, for the GI JOE episode. Me and my Goon girlfriend animated and designed on it. we also lost a lot of sleep over it. But I wont go into that.

• Locked thread