Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Morty showed a lot more initiative and attitude this episode than other two. It felt a bit strange given his previous appearances.

At this stage in the game the writers are usually trying to find the characters voices. It takes some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Typical posted:

The world wouldn't have blown up. It was a neutrino bomb, and neutrinos are harmless. and you are being bombarded by them right now... :science:

Well...that's not exactly true.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/73/ :science:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

According to Roiland, the theme music was supposed to be a mesh between Doctor Who and Farscape.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

The first Doc and Mharti short was just a silly sex joke. A good one, but at its core a silly sex joke.

Unbelievable Tales is basically a horror show masquerading as a comic short.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's becoming pretty clear why Rick became an alcoholic nihilist if he's done this sort of thing before. And if he can only do it another 3 or 4 times then he's done it a whooooooooole lot of times by now.

I think that was more of a writer's joke. They can only do that kind of concept a couple times before it becomes tired as an easy way of writing yourself out of a situation.

Or, to make it into a Community reference, you can only do paintball so many times.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Affi posted:

What were those weird backpack things Rick and Morty carried?

Don't think about it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Ror posted:

Pedantic aside: would you really call this show high-concept?

The show itself is actually very much low-concept. It's fundamentally about a family and their relationships. The adventures they go on seem high-concept, but they have low-concept, understandable stakes.

That's part of the brilliance of the show.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Well here you go, they're confirming it's low concept right here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKJB4vuQmus

At about 3:50.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Next episode, "Raising Gazorpazorp," hasn't been officially placed on the schedule yet as far as I can see, but in some places they're saying the 10th. Don't know what that popdesign thing is but I don't think it's right.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Justin Roiland tweeted that the show returns March 10th.

I know it sucks to wait a long time but I think Adult Swim realizes it has a hit on its hands and wants to get more started right away, and space out the distance between seasons.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

He's 14. He has crushes and unintentionally finds himself in sexual or pseudo-sexual situations. It's kind of par for the course.

I wouldn't read anything big into it. It's world-building, not destiny.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Wait, would happen if you gave a Meeseek's an impossible task?

Don't think about it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Typical posted:

That guy was Jason Boesch, my supervisor

Why does he have a picture of Justin Roiland on his desk? Staring at him?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

SwissCM posted:

Why don't you?

Because there's no way I'd measure up to that.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Unmature posted:

The interdimensional TV in the new episode reminded me of this episode of House of Cosbys (Justin's first claim to fame).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkEg8ulq4s

There are also parts that remind me of this Doc and Mharti short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMqHt3WIVpI

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Irish Joe posted:

Well that was a boring half hour of Family Guy-esque monkey cheese randomness.

It's only a bad thing if it becomes habit. As it was presented, the randomness actually had a point.

If they do this every episode, then your complaint becomes more valid.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah, I mean, there's criticism like:

"I didn't enjoy that, it was too random and scattershot, and I didn't like the improvisational tone and spirit. I prefer a tighter script."

That's fine, you know? Everyone knows humor is subjective. Those of us who loved the episode aren't going to be making GBS threads all over you just because you have a reasonable opinion that we disagree with.

Then there's:
"That was just like Family Guy."
Which you should get poo poo on for saying because it was *nothing* like Family Guy.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Hazo posted:

Hey Typical, this was supposed to be the season finale in terms of production order right? It felt that way.

I think this one was production code 106.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

In case anyone was curious, Rick and Morty is a bonafide ratings hit. Best half-hour in its spot by far.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/04/15/monday-cable-ratings-wwe-raw-wins-night-basketball-wives-bates-motel-archer-dallas-more/254059/

Funny that a 0.9 is a drat good rating for cable, but for Community, the same rating is abysmal. Well, less funny than sad.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

After all he did sorta respond to the jellybean rape controversy by basically saying "gently caress you if you actually care"

I thought the "explain it away" comment was from Ryan Ridley, not Justin.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

They changed the song at the end of the last one, and of course no swears are bleeped. Other than that, I don't think there's any changes.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Note that it was Ryan Ridley who wrote that nonsense above, not Roiland, who commented more on how they just wanted to make it not overtly offensive to people who lived through something like that.

And it's totally a thing that schmuck Ridley would write.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

zoux posted:

Huh, I was sure it was a reference to FF's Council of Reed Richardses.

Pretty sure I read that they didn't even know about the Council of Reeds until after they were done. Serendipity, I guess.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

He's been on tour with who's line is it anyway. Dude has to make a buck. If it's any consolation, his girlfriend was one of the bridesmaids.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

How the gently caress is there not a Goodbye Moon Men ringtone on iTunes????

If you get 'Jerry's Game,' and get the music option, an '8-bit' Goodbye Moon Men plays as the game over theme.

Or you could listen to it\download it here:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1nWKTY7aNR3

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

GoutPatrol posted:

Bret is the one with the Oscar.

And I'm sure on some level he appreciates starting at it while crying softly.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Brightman posted:

But in the end it doesn't matter and we shouldn't think about it.

The whole point of that story was that Jerrys are entirely interchangeable.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

What on Earth gave anyone the idea that Rick & Morty was in any way on the bubble? It's Adult Swim's premiere show - one of their highest rated originals, with near universal critical acclaim. It's a tentpole, something they plan on building programming around.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

"Mr. Poopybutthole" is also a sort of reference to an older Roiland/Harmon cartoon, The Unmarketables (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcMFHRXp8xM), but it's really more of a reference to Justin's general insanity.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Raserys posted:

(presses button on Mr. Meeseeks box) Mr. Meeseeks please stop this tedious derail

Keep your requests simple. They're not (burrrrp) gods.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

They should just leave Mr. Poopy Butthole in the credits for the rest of the season.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Ditocoaf posted:

By the way, I remembered Rick's list of catchphrases from somewhere. Like, it was an exact quote. Was that a callback to an earlier episode, or had I heard it in some sort of behind-the-scenes thing, or what?

NYCC footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6vdUM7_yEw

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Mr. Poopybutthole died on the way back to his home planet.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

It's a joke

Like the fact that he hasn't shown up before is part of why that joke works

The hell is wrong with you people

I agree with you - it's clearly a joke and intended as such.

I can only imagine that TV's general turn towards serialization (and R&M's slight nods towards it) has made people anxious to figure out justification for one-off jokes in an attempt to outpace the actual writers of the television show. Like it's some sort of race to "figure out" some hidden meaning before it's revealed.

I mean, this is a sci-fi show, and a cartoon. Remember the episode of ST:TNG where Riker "adopts" an alien "son" who is never seen again? Or the episodes of the Simpsons or South Park when loving god knows what happens and is never brought up again?

I'm happy that TV has, in general, trended towards serialization, but sometimes people just need to let go and let a joke land.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Megaspel posted:

All my Maths professors were like this. People who contributed to the first steps of Computer Graphics and CG animation, yet they always made really silly mistakes with simple arithmetic and stuff in the single digits.

That's because math isn't about arithmetic. Once you get into higher order math, the little things like arithmetic get lost in the shuffle. Ask a true math professor what 6x7 is, and you'll most likely get "around 40," which is perfectly acceptable within a reasonable margin of error.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Just Offscreen posted:

Nah that would have been a bit too on the nose for this show.

Yeah, we have to deal with the existential horror that we have no purpose, even if that purpose were to power someone's car battery. "Yeah, welcome to the club, Pal."

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

FireWorksWell posted:

Don't get me wrong, I laughed pretty hard at car-Morty's resigned look, but does anyone else feel like the "Morty, turn into a car" joke would have been funnier if they didn't actually show it happening in the stinger (or in future episodes)?

Chekhov's Gun, man. Don't introduce elements if you don't intend to use them.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Kind of wish Colbert-lien was giving Rick the peace sign at the end instead of the finger.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

There's a difference between a premise and a story, and a lot of people here are confusing the two.

Nothing wrong with revisiting a premise as long as the story is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

If everything else is as good as the rest of the season (even the 'non-transcendent' episodes were drat good TV.) then I don't really mind them experimenting.They wanted to see if the audience would go for pure, uncut Roiland. I think the consensus was that it was too much. That's good info, allows them to refine the product.

Of course I want to see an episode like this every year. I want them to experiment and find out what works. There's no better way to test than to just go for it and experiment, and if the worst thing we get out of it is an episode that is slightly under par? That's the dream, baby, that the fuckin dream. That means we hit as close to light speed as we can expect to get.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Sep 26, 2015

• Locked thread