Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

max4me posted:

I cant listen to the dad talk with out thinking about archer.

Rich constantly belching got on my nervs. It worked in the opening because you think he is drunk.

I think the idea is that he's always drunk. Could get wearing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Whoa. I really wasn't expecting it to be, but that was actually superb. By the point where they go into the extended Nightmare on Elm Street riff, I was pretty much on board.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

The thing I really liked about last night's episode was Rick and Morty realizing that maybe they shouldn't actually listen to Scary Terry when he's telling them they "can run but can't hide."

I liked how it felt somewhat less mean than the pilot. Rick and Morty get along a bit better, and the solutions they find to their problems are actually weirdly cool and (sort of?) pacifistic. I was totally expecting the hammer to drop on, "oh, yeah, that dimensional portal actually leads to a gigantic pool of lava, you won't be seeing those guys again", but the show wound up being less cynical and cruel than I expected it to be.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

ultramiraculous posted:

Pretty clearly amoral. He knows what he's doing and doesn't care. I mean he's willfully keeping his grandson out of school when Morty clearly needs to be there. Any "craziness" is just that he's kinda a single-minded sociopath who doesn't really care about what's best for anyone else as long as he gets to achieve whatever his goals are.

Well, he also has a firm belief that school is no good for you and rots your brain, so although he does seem amoral in other ways, he seems to see keeping Morty out of school as doing him a genuine favour.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I thought about the bathroom stall thing in this episode some and I'm still not exactly sure what to think. On one hand, I get the vibe Roiland is putting out - there aren't any overt jokes in that scene. It's genuinely quite upsetting. It's not meant to be funny per se, it's meant to be jarring and harrowing to watch. Sure, I can kind of see it.

But on the other hand, no matter how you spin it, the scary rapist dude is still kind of a giant talking jelly bean. And while there aren't any written punchlines, it's definitely playing with the comedy of expectations. The setup is that he looks like a whimsical fantasy cartoon, and the punch is that he's actually a rapist.

I dunno. I think on the whole I come down against. I liked the rest of the episode, and I can see what they were going for, and maybe it's even nearly there, but it still comes off slightly wrong to me. Apart from anything else, it feels similar enough to the "male character gets sexually assaulted" beat that we see being played for direct laughs in other, dumber material that I'm not sure I'm entirely comfortable with it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Rick and Morty: IN DEPTH RAPE ANALYSIS

Hey man, if a show is gonna do a scene showing attempted rape, and on top of that the creator is on record saying the scene is meant to be serious, I don't think it's out of line to analyse that scene. It's a serious topic and the show itself is explicitly interested in discussing it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Ariza posted:

It's more how weirdly obsessed the internet is with sexual assault when compared to everything else. Nobody is upset about the graphic murders in the show, but a jelly bean trying to get a boy to lick him is too much. Everyone has to fall over themselves proclaiming to strangers about how it affects them. It's worse than circumcision or well done steaks.

I don't think there can really be such a thing as being "weirdly obsessed" with talking about how the media portrays sexual assault. It's a really serious issue and actually does affect most of the people on the planet one way or another, and unlike murder, people are far more likely to be gunshy about condemning it or having an open discussion of the culture that surrounds it.

Besides which, there's literally a post from the show's co-creator up there talking about how it is a serious issue and the stuff in this episode perhaps merits discussion. I don't think you can simplify that to just "the internet is crazy" when the guy who literally conceptualised the scene is willing to discuss how it might be or cause a problem.

I dunno man. It's cool not to want to talk about a thing. But given both the content of the episode and the stuff from Roiland talking about the episode, talking about it seems entirely germane to the broader topic.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I loved the Marmaduke thing, but the women-only planet plot felt really lazy and uninspired. "Women like shoes, feelings and chocolate" isn't exactly the freshest material in the world.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

LeJackal posted:

tellingly at the end men as a gender are redeemed (partly) not by the intrinsic masculine phallus, but by creative works which demonstrate a prized and ungendered quality.

This is couching it a bit, the actual plot beat is a gag about gay men creating fashion and women loving clothes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Max22 posted:

Film Crit Hulk is a great mind with a lot to say about story construction, but I wish he used the Hulk voice as more than an excuse not to proofread his articles.

I remember when he first started out he actually stuck to the conceit some, and it was funny, but now he literally just types normal film crit articles except they're all in capital letters. He skips the occasional article or preposition and that's it, and it's really silly and dumb.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, Rick is very smart but he's also a lazy amoral tool. As mentioned, he's the kind of person who would destroy an entire populated universe just to get a momentary advantage in a foot chase, so if there was a more humane option for generating power it a) probably wouldn't have even occurred to him and b) it taking even thirty seconds longer to execute would probably have clinched the deal for going with the "slavery, but more steps" plan.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's really funny but wow, does he ever sound like a tool. I guess that shouldn't be surprising.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

CrazyLoon posted:

If I were completely honest, his stance on romance as a plot point is actually very goony.

Yeah, I don't think he gets that, depending on your perspective, the octopus monster is also ketchup.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This episode was real bad. Improv can be really funny, but here it felt like they weren't even trying and instead of actual improv, most of the bits were just a loose premise without any body to follow up. They have Summer point out that most of them devolve into a non-punchline of random violence, but pointing it out doesn't make it more funny.

The B plot was pretty lacklustre too, although the initial scene with Werner Herzog was genuinely funny and easily the best scene of the episode.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Pick posted:

The thing about improv is hypothetically they could have, like, recorded a lot of it and chosen the funny bits? But it was all really dull. The penis plotline was passable but the improv was tripe.

Yeah, what stood out to me was that most of them were a single character, usually Justin Roiland just rambling to himself and saying nonsense words. Most good improv is built on back-and-forth between two or more people, or at least multiple characters.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

fade5 posted:

I think this is why the "How did I get here?" and "Michael and Pichael" skits got a bit of a chuckle out of me while the rest didn't. In both skits there was some sort of character interaction going on to make it amusing: "How did I get here" had Morty noticing that the coffee person vanished from the hospital, and Michael and Pichael had Morty noticing that the bodies of worm guys went off camera, which set up the conjoined twins gag.

Yeah, for sure. The Michael and Pichael skit was definitely one of the better ones exactly because there were multiple characters to bounce the premise off each other, which leads to the gag about their parents naming them like that.

quote:

I...don't? I'm annoyed when TVIV does their typical TVIV thing of, instead of just going "I didn't like [a thing]", they go "[a thing] is bad because of X, Y, and Z", when it turns out that the person who posted the latter has no idea what they're talking about

my whole point is to not justify humor, because you can't, because it's subjective. so this dumb horseshit mental tack people take of instead of simply going "this wasn't funny i didn't like this" they instead go "WELL IT'S ACTUALLY OBJECTIVELY BAD BECAUSE OF THIS THIS AND THIS, BECAUSE I HAVE NO loving CLUE WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT AND TELEVISION PRODUCTION IS MAGIC"

"Don't say you don't like a thing and then provide a reason why you don't like it, just say you don't like it!"

Threads consisting of 'I liked this' and 'I did not like this' posted in sequence after each episode would make for pretty dull reading. Also, humour isn't entirely subjective or even really close! Of course different people will find different things funny, but "weak joke" and "good joke" are existent categories, just with the understanding that some people might laugh at the former or get nothing out of the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Roiland has made some messed up stuff but as a person, he definitely seems better than Harmon, who it's increasingly clear is a total histrionic tool.

• Locked thread