Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
I really like this show, and it keeps getting better with each episode. Rick is pretty much a perfect mouthpiece for Dan Harmon's grudges and self-parody.

ashpanash posted:

At this stage in the game the writers are usually trying to find the characters voices. It takes some time.

I thought it was just because he actually had an incentive this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Baker street. I couldn't figure out where I remembered it from, turns out it was an old Simpsons episode.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Another good episode, but that scene was brutal. Pretty ballsy of Dan Harmon, considering all the outrage that followed his "rape joke" on Harmontown.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Did anyone else find a startling similarity between Dan Harmon and the Giant? I was getting serious caricature vibes from that brief scene.

Yeah, I thought the giant couple looked like caricatures of him and Erin McGathy

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

My take on it is that the scene wasn't meant to be funny at all. The point of the scene was that horrible things can happen to us in seemingly safe settings, at the hands of apparently benign people. The fact that the scene wasn't played for laughs (unlike comparable scenes in, say, in South Park, Family guy or The Simpsons) is a crucial difference. And it's worth mentioning that, unlike what happened on those shows, Morty successfully fought off his assailant.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

There's also the way they draw the eyes. But it seems like they've toned that down too.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I binged watched through True Detective...and then I did this.

All I could think about.

This is the best thing, it needs to be on this page too!

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Rick and Morty gets renewed for a second season.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Planet Piss posted:

This was posted on Twitter recently:

I don't know what to think of it, but I'm excited

Good. I hope they spend the entire second season trying to traumatize these people as much as possible.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I like that this show has a heart, but I also like this show can stab that heart freely.

I'm down for anything, just as long as we don't get any child molestation with Rick. I don't think I can handle that. :stonk:

Sensitive fanboy spotted.

A MIRACLE posted:

If anything I just hope the show goes far enough to alienate the SJW/tumblr crowd. Rick seems a little too progressive for that though

Yeah, I really hope this show doesn't go the same way Community did wrt the crazies.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

hemophilia posted:

Rick seems like the kind of person who has seen way too much to really care about their own mortality. He's a massive alcoholic and has little regard for safety. I imagine the dude just doesn't care if or when he dies.

The knowledge that there's an infinite number of realities probably helps. He's always dying somewhere anyway, so why get worked up about it?

Also I'm outraged that people are saying they didn't enjoy this episode as much as the last two. Why do you hate fun this thread/forum is the worst I'm no longer able to enjoy the show because of this thread the sky is falling etc.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

hemophilia posted:

The problem is up till now Rick and Morty has been fairly original, or turned tropes on their heads. This last episode seemed to be lifting directly from well-known source material and not exactly doing anything new with it. The Zardoz nods were cool but everything else seemed to be simple retreads of jokes everyone has heard for decades.

It wasn't bad or completely unfunny but it's not consistent with the rest of what has aired.

It was just a joke, and it wasn't directed at you (something I could've made clearer considering that I put it in a post quoting you. Oh well.)

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

All the drama over the last episode seems to stem from a simple misunderstanding and/or standard Internet hyperbole. Some people thought Rick and Summer's story was an uninspired take on an old story. Fair enough. Futurama used the same basic premise (kind of...) at one point, and since there are superficial similarities between the two shows, the people who didn't like the episode accused it of being an exact copy of Amazon Women in the Mood, which obviously isn't the case.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Pixelante posted:

Nope. The simple misunderstanding is that humour is subjective. (And Standard Internet Hyperbole.)

Either you're missing the point or I am. Saying that the last episode was boring or whatever is one thing. Maybe it was an unimaginative take on an old story. That's subjective and it'd be silly to say that you're wrong or whatever. Like, everybody's entitled to their opinion. But saying that the episode or the jokes were exactly the same as Amazon Women in the Mood is objectively wrong. On the Internet. And making that assertion just to escape accusations of tumblerism would be extremely silly.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Next epiosde is supposed to be a doozy. Here, have a preview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQVbaTYGZXE

Starts ~30 seconds in

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

At least there's one where she's, uh, reenacting Jaws in a post-apocalyptic hellscape.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIpev8JXJHQ

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Yeah, they really use music effectively, both for pathos and comedic effect. It sort of reminds me of Community's first season in that regard. And I think you're absolutely right about them knowing their audience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN5rW6H9IHM&t=100s

:smith:

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

I liked that they were completely upfront about what they were doing instead of winking at the audience. It was a funny way to satirize stuff like Family Guy without falling into South Park's smugness and false sense of superiority.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

I don't think "Jerry and Beth are meant to be together in any universe" is what we're supposed to take away from this episode. The message seems to be that they were bound to end up second-guessing themselves no matter what they chose. This episode was basically their entire relationship in a nutshell, and I seriously doubt that everything will be peachy between them after this.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

The Iwo Jima Butt Hamster Memorial was amazing.

zoux posted:

Couple of things I noticed on a second rewatch:

Roiland loses it at the end of a couple of bits, most obviously in the Two Brothers thing.

At the end when Beth is drinking by herself in the kitchen, she does the same kind of belching pronouncation that Rick does all the time.

I'm pretty sure Dan Harmon did the Two Brothers bit. But I agree completely, it was great that they kept those parts in. You can really tell they had fun making this episode. And I love that they cast someone who can burp on command to play Rick's daughter. I hope we get to see more of drunk Beth.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Hazo posted:

In "Raising Gazorpazorp" I notice a couple times when Morty slips into Rick's cadence and speech mannerisms like calling people "buddy" and such :tinfoil:

Speaking of Raising Gazorpazorp, I love Morty Jr's rant as he runs away from home.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_oK-tHGhQ8

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

I'm getting Duke Nukem Forever flashbacks.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

I've been doing this for nineteen years
Niggas wanna fight me? Fight these tears

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Fantastic episode, but I wish they'd give Beth a B-story instead of it being Jerry all the time. She sounds like a much more interesting character.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

SlipkPIe posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, Jerry's B-stories are always hilarious

Most of them have been great, but "Jerry is a loser" is getting pretty worn out at this point. But it isn't really that his stories are bad at all, it's just that he's already gotten plenty of them, while we've seen very little of Beth.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

Hey, given that was actually have people who worked on the show in this thread, can one of you guys ask Justin Roiland and Dan Harmon what's so bad about puffy vaginas?

Because it's really been bugging me.

What should bother you is how Rick knew about it. I think Justin Roiland said that line was a placeholder that wasn't supposed to make it into the finished episode. IIRC he thought it was too crazy for someone not to notice (and change), but since people think he's insane anyway, they thought it was what he wanted and left it there.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Even though i liked the first two episodes, Anatomy Park was the one that sold me on the show. Between Rick's obsession with pirates of the pancreas, John Oliver's performance and Rick Harmon getting notes from network executive Kumail Nanjiani, what's not to like?

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Goredema posted:

The downside is that everyone in the Community thread will start posting here and explaining how the later episodes/seasons of Rick and Morty are so incredibly worse than the early stuff.

If it's any consolation that was always going to happen anyway, even if Community got 9 seasons and three movies :)

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Here's another video from the same event. It's a presentation and Q&A with Dan Harmon about comedy and writing. Not so much about Rick and Morty, but still interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O319eFz87fQ

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

I don't know if this counts as "rumors" about season 2 guest appearances. Couldn't find anything about it in the thread. Images linked because they're possibly spoilers, for those who care about that sort of thing.

http://imgur.com/UE4S1oH
http://imgur.com/0ywYJt6

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Tempo 119 posted:

One of them was confirmed in this week's Harmontown - Herzog is a wise old lizard man who talks about dicks.

That's great! I hope this is just a small part of a bigger project for him.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

I hope this means we can look forward to Rick going Galt in season 3.

hemophilia posted:

If the soviets had won rick and morty would be full sail ahead sans drama. :smith:

Not to disparage Soviet methods for dealing with uppity workers, but wouldn't it have been easier to just pay them and offer them a health plan?

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

prefect posted:

Roiland may be a prick, but Rick hates paperwork because it's boring, not because he's trying to screw his employees.

I don't know, Rick does seem to have a lot in common with the Randian overman. He's a genius scientist who can invent things at a moments notice that drive his enemies to despair and suicide attempts; he doesn't even really need employees, but he uses people ruthlessly when it suits his purposes; he has no respect for authority or social convention and openly displays his contempt for those he considers to be inferior; when things don't go his way he either petulantly takes his ball and goes home, or engages in acts of destrucive, spiteful revenge. All that's missing is a rape or two.

Goredema posted:

In the U.S., forming a union is seen as an attempt to destroy your employer's company, and by extension, to destroy America.

Well, it was sort of the same in the good old USSR, except there was no need for the "by extension" part of it.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Paladinus posted:

What are you talking about? Soviet workers didn't need to form a union, because all organisations were state-owned and unionised by default.

This is OT as hell and I apologize for derailing the thread. That said, let's see if we can't clear this up.

While all organisations were indeed state-owned and unionised, it doesn't automatically follow that the workers didn't need to form unions. The official unions were run by and in the interests of the same State that also employed the workers. The problem this poses for the worker should be obvious. The function of the unions in this arrangement is to make sure that the needs of the State are met, not to make trouble for managers and planners. The unions achieved this by disciplining and exhorting the workers. Independent unions (acting directly in the interests of their members) or labor action simply were not tolerated.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Then again he isn't some kind of faultless, (portrayed as) morally-perfect superman.
Which is kind of the Galt-esque ideal.

Or maybe I don't want this show ruined for me since every time Rick speaks I feel like Im getting the full three hour Galt vocal vomit treatment.

Not a fan of Harmontown, then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

KoRMaK posted:

Have you guys been watching the new community?

Yes, a Community/Simpsons crossover seems more appropriate at this point.

• Locked thread