Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Click here to watch the opening video!

Welcome to Gihren's Greed: Threat of Axis V!

Gihren's Greed?

Gihren's Greed (or Gihren's Ambition if you hate alliteration) is a Gundam-themed turn-based strategy game series. Gihren's Greed allows you to take control of a faction as it follows the events of the Universal Century timeline, starting from the One Year War and eventually finishing with Char's Counter-Attack. It's notable for not only allowing you to use a multitude of mobile suits from the core series (Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta Gundam, ZZ Gundam, Char's Counter-Attack), but from various side material as well (0080, 0083, the MSV series, and various other UC Gundam related manga and anime). It also allows you to influence a few of the events in the series, allowing you to bring about entirely different outcomes during the war that branch away from the canon material.

is this game in English?

Unfortunately, no. I also can't read or understand Japanese outside of a few words and phrases.

If you can't understand what's happening in the game, how are you going to LP this?

While I can't understand the language, playing this game is quite simple if you're willing to give it a try. It also helps that there is an English Wiki for the game that has translated menus and an event guide for the five starting factions that you can play as. It's also really easy to follow along with what's happening if you are at all familiar with the source material, although I will be giving a brief summary of the relevant events in order to help those of you unfamiliar with the Gundam series follow along.

Now, let's show off the starting five factions.

Earth Federation Forces (Led by General Revil)

Principality of Zeon (Led by Gihren Zabi)

Titans (Led by Jamitov Hyman)

Anti-Earth United Government (Led by Blex Forer)

Axis Zeon (Led by Haman Karn)

However, since playing through all of the factions (including the 'what-if' ones you can unlock) would burn me out pretty quickly, I will only be playing as the Earth Federation and the Principality of Zeon. I will also only play up to the end of the One Year War scenario, as I feel that is the most interesting part of the game since everything after that is either trivially easy (the EFSF) or a complete slog to play through (Zeon). It also doesn't help that you have to complete the game multiple times in order to unlock the really interesting stuff during the mid and late-game for those two factions.

Now, before we can start, I need you to vote on who I will be playing as first. So :siren:vote now for either the Earth Federation or the Principality of Zeon!:siren:

The voting will end on :siren:Friday at 12:00PM!:siren:
VOTE ENDED EARLY DUE TO MASSIVE ZEON SUPPORT

Table of Contents

Principality of Zeon

Current pilots
Current units

Gameplay Explanation
Strategic Phase 1
Strategic Phase 2 & 3
Strategic Phase 4 & 5
Strategic Phase 6
Strategic Phase 7
Strategic Phase 8 & 9
Strategic Phase 10
Strategic Phase 11 & 12
Strategic Phase 13
Strategic Phase 14 - 16
Strategic Phase 17 - 19
Strategic Phase 20 - 22
Strategic Phase 23 - 25
Strategic Phase 26 & 27
Strategic Phase 28 & 29
Strategic Phase 30 & 31

Tobias Grant fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
We'll make the Feddie scum pay for their crimes! :black101:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Man, you are slightly crazy for trying this. I had a LP of this rolling around in some folders years ago but realized just the effort that would go into it.

Also, it's ball bustingly difficult :stare:

Of course, there can be only one choice.
Principality of Zeon!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Sieg Zeon!

Back when Journey to Jaburo was released I started reading a bunch of information on Gundam, and there's one specific set of events in this series I've always wanted to see.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Voting for Space Hitler!

I've never seen this game but love the original MSG, so this should be interesting.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Maximum spacehitler!

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Voting for Zeon because why not?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

We shall not suffer the Earthnoid to live!

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Pimpmust posted:

Man, you are slightly crazy for trying this. I had a LP of this rolling around in some folders years ago but realized just the effort that would go into it.

Also, it's ball bustingly difficult :stare:

Of course, there can be only one choice.
Principality of Zeon!

That's partly why I'm only doing the One Year War segment, since trying to do anything more than that is more effort than I'm willing to put into this. I may show what happens after the OYW a little bit for both Zeon and the EFSF, but there's no way that I am doing the entire thing.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Zeon! Mass produce the Big Zam!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Sieg Zeon!

Make an army of Acguys thanks in advance.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Dec 9, 2013

Sandgoose
Apr 26, 2010
Zeon!

After my many failed attempts to play this game, I'll be glad to see how the game actually progresses.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Seig Zeon!
Mass produce the Big Zam. It must be done.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Zeon has the most interesting toys, so go with them.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Haha, wow, I've always wanted to play this game!

Go with the Federation; it's junta-licious!

I'd like to suggest some kind of stupid alt-history challenge, but I don't know enough about the game.
Haha, win so hard the Titans are never formed? Win so fast you're fighting the Six-Month War :smuggo:?

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
HitlerGihren did nothing wrong. SIEG ZEON

Make nothing but Red Zakus. THEY GO THROUGH THREE TIMES FASTER!

LEGO Genetics fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 9, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The only OYW material I'm a huge fan of is War in the Pocket - do the events from that appear in any fashion?

Anyway, the game's named after him, so Start with Ghiren.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
Are you going to explain how to play it? I have a copy but haven't gotten past the Japanese yet.

Zeon for maximum fuckery.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Endorph posted:

The only OYW material I'm a huge fan of is War in the Pocket - do the events from that appear in any fashion?

Hamburgers.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

Haha, wow, I've always wanted to play this game!

Go with the Federation; it's junta-licious!

I'd like to suggest some kind of stupid alt-history challenge, but I don't know enough about the game.
Haha, win so hard the Titans are never formed? Win so fast you're fighting the Six-Month War :smuggo:?

I'll leave most of the decision making up to the thread. Unfortunately, You can never stop the Titans from being formed.

Endorph posted:

Anyway, the game's named after him, so Start with Ghiren.

0080 does show up in this game.

AdventFalls posted:

Are you going to explain how to play it? I have a copy but haven't gotten past the Japanese yet.

Zeon for maximum fuckery.

Yes, I'll be explaining how to play to the best of my ability. I still don't 100% know everything about this game since English help for it is almost non-existent except for the Wiki I linked in the OP.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Let us go with Zeon.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Take your sorrow and turn it into anger! Take your anger and turn it into hatred! Sieg Zeon! Sieg Zeon! Sieg Zeon!

For inspiration, see this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L03K2njcCrM This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaCpbwkNR0w is pretty great too.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 10, 2013

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
A gundam strategy game? Sounds awesome!I'm gonna have to put my vote behind Zeon as well.
Hail Zeon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXkbUSDuffA

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Going against the grain and voting for the superior color scheme. Titans all the way.

I am an idiot who doesn't fully read OPs. Go Zeon I guess, let's show Hitler what a real genocidal dictator can do.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
Another vote for Zeon, because then at least the game should get harder as the war progresses instead of easier.

gyger
Feb 19, 2010
Federation gives 75% bonus to research. In a different game.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
Zeon. Our souls are not dragged down by gravity.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Seig Zeon earth bitches.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm going to vote Federation. Remember Side 2! :black101:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It would just be wrong to vote for anyone except zeon.

CaptainBob
Jul 20, 2013
This little mudball of a planet is doomed anyway.
Zeon

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Gotta be Zeon.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
NICE!

I played the original Gihren's Greed back on PS1 (...now I feel old), and I was only able to keep up with a couple of them since; the language barrier's pretty rough. I only got by with knowledge of canon.

And I echo everyone else here: Sieg Zeon!

...I am VERY looking forward to seeing how the thread wrecks the timeline of the One Year War.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Feddie Forces, all the way. This is OYW, it's our best chance to punch Space Hitler in the face and sorta kinda be the good guys.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ghiren looks like a lizardman (but not a subterranean dinosaur imperial): Federation all the way!

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

gently caress those zeke scum, Feddies all the way!

HipsterGarabe
Mar 9, 2011
Hail Zeon!

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Federation

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Any policies on discussing Gundam canon, or would you rather we hold off until you reach specific points?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Basarin posted:

Any policies on discussing Gundam canon, or would you rather we hold off until you reach specific points?

As long as it's kept in spoiler tags, I won't really care.

• Locked thread