Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, the strategic part of this game is reeeally weirdly designed all round, but I'm guessing we'll be coming to those parts soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jegan posted:

Max energy as well.

He's actually not all that great at Rank E, but realistically, you'll never use him like that anyway.

Yes you will. There's no need to so the White Base events at all, since the minor benefit (Removing Zeon Aces) doesn't outweigh the cost (losing Sleggar, Matilda, Ryu and a few other pilots).

Because once you're done with the OYW, those aces are almost never going to return except for the Delaz Fleet.

On the other hand, halting the White Base immediatly gives you a Gundam, Guncannon, Guntank and White Base, and the pilots to use them. And Kai and Amuro even at their E rank level will clean HOUSE.

Also, I love that you have a chart determining which part of the earth sphere drops where. If you are playing the Federation you must know that by heart! You have take C point as you assault Peking, preferably before you do! Otherwise Zeon is going to reinforce that battle zone and you NEED Peking by Turn 5. The very next battle operation is Hawaii, so the C-point remains invaluable.

Of course you can always try to control the entire Earth Sphere, but that will become much harder to do as Zeon builds up in space... until you get Mobile Suits.

It's funny that on both sides of the conflict once the Federation gets MS Zeon crumbles like a house of cards.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 19, 2013

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
I would advise taking the first half of that post down. Also Amuro will be Rank D the way you say.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Ahh, Yazan. Continuing to plague Tobias across franchises! Also showing how dangerous named characters can be regardless of hardware.

Really curious choice taking Char out of his ace custom. Wondering what you have planned for him.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
You don't get additional Ace Custom units if you transfer the ace to a different mobile suit, do you? Either the same or a different model mobile suit?

I jist find the idea of Char Aznable, the Red Greaser being more useful than a pilot to be funny.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I really love this series, but one thing I miss in this one as opposed to War for Zeon Independence(the older PS2 one with 3d battles) is that you can optionally play the Battle of Loum, including being able to use nuke-equipped ZakuIIs.

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012
Great upadte now as promised here is some words on our guys with back story first.
Know Your Betters

Degwin Sodo Zabi (Born: 0017)
Friend and ally of the spacenoid revolutionary leader Zeon Zum Deikun, Degwin was named his successor following Zeon’s totally natural death in 0068. With Deikun’s permission Degwin became the Prince? Duke? ... Sovereign of Zeon. Degwin may rule but he now leaves most of the day to day operations to his eldest son Gihren. Now he mostly spends his days watching the war from the side slowly growing tired of this endless bloodshed he has caused, and slowly getting sick of Gihren’s poo poo. He also wears cool rear end 70s glasses. He is also Italian as hell.
Fun factoid: Sodo is not a middle name it is Japanese for Lord so a more accurate translation is Degwin Lord Zabi, like Lord Tennyson. I believe I also saw it translated as Lord Degwin Zabi.

Gihren Zabi (Born: 0044)
Space Hitler.

What that’s not enough? Gihren is Degqin’s eldest son and the De Facto ruler of Zeon. He has an IQ of 240, and he wants to be like Hitler.
He was the mastermind behind Degwin’s rise to power this led with conflict with the Deikun faction. After a period of trouble which led to assassinations and bombings, Gihren’s brother Cicero was killed in the conflict. But the conflict ended when Deikun two children totally died, like they are sooooo dead and are never going to be important ever again.
He now is basically the leader of Zeon and our player character. He has a less than good relationship with his father. Also that woman in red is his secretary who may also be his mistress. He is honestly one of the few irredeemable characters in the series which is saying something in that the rest of the the freaking Zabis come off as more than just monsters.

I am so glad I found this picture.

Kycilia Zabi (Born: 0055)
Degwin’s only daughter, Kycilia is in charge of the Zeonic Mobile Suit Forces. She commands smaller units like the Midnight Fenrir Corps. (From Zeonic Front) The ace Johnny Ridden, and M’quve. I remember she was a real rear end in Zeonic Front when shell will mock you if you got anything lower than an A ranking.

Dozle Zabi (Born: 0051)
Dozle is the largest member of the Zabi clan and in charge of the Zeonic Space Force. He is a family man, whose wife is currently pregnant, and is very close with his brother Garma. At the start of the war he has many aces who are very loyal to him. Aces like Char, Ramba Ral, and the Black Tri Stars.

Garma Zabi (Born: 0059)
The most fabulous of the Zabis, Garma is in charge of the Earth Attack Force. He is mostly a socialite aristocrat rather than a warrior. After Zeon enters North America, Garma was put in charge of the occupation, most likely due to that he is young, charismatic, and Degwins’ favorite son; making him a threat of Gihren’s rule. During his time in America he develops a romantic relationship with the mayor of New York’s (New Yark?) daughter, whom he plans to marry with or without their parents consent. During his time at the academy he became friends with the mysterious ace Char.

In Memoriam: That one Zabi son that died, god speed whatever your name is...

edit: minor name mix up. It's Zeon Zum Deikun's children who are totally dead. Props to Rockopolis.

LordGugs fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 19, 2013

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Thanks for those images, good stuff.

One small point is that Gihren Zabi does not aspire to be Hitler or admire him, in fact he barely recognizes the name when he hears it. There are comparisons to be drawn between them, but they can be overstated.

Anyway,

and whatnot.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

also respectable IQ charts generally top off around 160, making 240, uh, improbable

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

He's a complete sociopath, fascist and a genius, which makes for a pretty drat bad combination, which is what you are supposed to take away from the guy.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
LordGugs, don't you mean Daikun's two children.

I've never really been able to see much of a family resemblence between any members of the Zabi family.
Especially Dozle, he doesn't even look human, though these pictures of him are relatively flattering. Maybe he takes after his mother? What did Mrs Zabi look like?

Edit; And even here, his fist is bigger than Garma's head.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 18, 2013

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Rockopolis posted:

LordGugs, don't you mean Daikun's two children.

I've never really been able to see much of a family resemblence between any members of the Zabi family.
Especially Dozle, he doesn't even look human, though these pictures of him are relatively flattering. Maybe he takes after his mother? What did Mrs Zabi look like?

Edit; And even here, his fist is bigger than Garma's head.

It's anime we ain't gotta explain poo poo about genetics

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Dozle Zabi's real mother is a combine harvester.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

You put someone else in Char's Zaku and it wasn't Johnny Ridden?! Shameful, just shameful.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
So inspired by this thread, I just finished watching the 3 MS:G movies and: I hope you keep Ramba Ral alive because that fucker's got class.

And I hope we get to see some ridiculously useless superweapons from Zeon soon!

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Friar John posted:

And I hope we get to see some ridiculously useless superweapons from Zeon soon!

Me too. Wouldn't be Zeon without 'em.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I vote we don't research something sensible like the Dom, and instead devote all resources to producing fleets of Adzams and Bigros!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

TNG posted:

I vote we don't research something sensible like the Dom, and instead devote all resources to producing fleets of Adzams and Bigros!

No! No! We demand Zakrellos!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Until we get the Acguy Hug Legion this LP is a failure I say.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Mass produce the Big Zam, bam, war's over in a day.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Xmas Future posted:

Mass produce the Big Zam, bam, war's over in a day.

I wish "once the Big Zam is mass produced" was a synonym for "never" that I could use without feeling profoundly ashamed and needing to shower.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Welp, I've broken and picked up this game again. the difference is instead of a lovely laptop, I'm playing on a proper computer now.

Time to either beat the game 3-4 times or consolidate in Jaburo and pass for 100 turns (Special Victory)

EDIT: I feel the need to remind everyone just how HARD it is to start as the federation. You aren't just outpowered, you are outnumbered too. You need ridiculous numbers to start laying into Zeon heavily, as they will slice through your troops very easily.

So! How do you play the Federation? What special unit do you have that's the key in the early game?

3 units are key. And this is another issue. In Blood of Zeon, you could easily pump your production lines full of Fly Mantha and that was it. Zeon was rushed under a swarm of bomber jets. But in Threat of Axis V they get access to flying units and the Mantha have terrible AA weapons.

So you need the once useless TIN Cod, or more likely the Saberfish dual space/aircraft to fight their air forces. There problem is that the ground troops are always going to hit them with no issue, also, no air troops can capture supply bases (the points of interest connected by lines, which resupply your troops energy)

So we need the Type-61 battle tank as well. which is "defensive" and good against the ground forces. So just produce them right?

WRONG! Because the Type-61 can't move for poo poo and need to be carried everywhere by Medea transport planes.meaning you need to produce one of them to every 3 (and it is always 3) Type-61s.

So while Zeon has "Zaku II" as pretty much the only unit it has to worry about. The Feds have to produce around 3-4 different types of units to keep up. That's at the start anyway, The Federation needs a different type of bomber to handle water engagements, which is definitely what Hawaii turns into.

Space, thank god, is a much easier battle.

Magellian battle ships. Simple as that, never bother with the Salamis, only bother with the White Base when it arrives. A skilled player can hold space with his captain piloted Magellians and nothing more. And that's the thing. until you've wrapped up on earth you only need to HOLD space. and honestly a group of Guncannons pretty much turns Zeon into a joke.

But yes, those early turns taking the first base will make/break the playthrough. If you succeed within 5 turns, you win. If you fail, that's it, pack it in.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 19, 2013

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I've beaten this game more times than I can count, as most of the factions, but I have one thing I've never managed to do that I was wondering if the other people in this thread may be able to help me figure out. I have never, in all of my runs as AEUG, been able to keep Argama mode on post-Jaburo. I never seem to get the prompt to send the Zeta to the Argama when I finish researching it. I usually wait until after Jaburo so that I can get the 30% nuke instead of the 50%, but then when I finish the Zeta I never get an option to send it to the Argama and eventually they are defeated and show back up in Granada. As a result I've never been able to get Amuro and the Hi-Nu as the AEUG. Anyone have any guesses what I'm doing wrong?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

I've beaten this game more times than I can count, as most of the factions, but I have one thing I've never managed to do that I was wondering if the other people in this thread may be able to help me figure out. I have never, in all of my runs as AEUG, been able to keep Argama mode on post-Jaburo. I never seem to get the prompt to send the Zeta to the Argama when I finish researching it. I usually wait until after Jaburo so that I can get the 30% nuke instead of the 50%, but then when I finish the Zeta I never get an option to send it to the Argama and eventually they are defeated and show back up in Granada. As a result I've never been able to get Amuro and the Hi-Nu as the AEUG. Anyone have any guesses what I'm doing wrong?

My only guess is that you triggered the events too late If you're worried about the 50% forces loss thing, send a single unit into Jaburo and watch the enemy annihilate themselves while he sits his rear end there and doesn't care

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

The thought of the Federation fielding a spicy Italian sausage warship in large numbers amuses me to no end.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The name is probably more inspired by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Salamis

Lots of greek stuff in Gundam if you look around, even if some is mangled (Qubeley).

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx
Oh man this game. I tried to play it but it was before we had a nice wiki that actually let you figure out what the hell was going on.

It's also making me want to LP SD G Gen DS, even though I currently can't. I am playing it right now, and it's a good contrast. Though I think it might be the first to have Roberto and Apolly as Zeon troops? Also it has Cima as a main character or pretty much THE main character for most of the game, alongside Char and Dee (Original PC)

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
When do we form super asia?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Pimpmust posted:

The name is probably more inspired by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Salamis

Lots of greek stuff in Gundam if you look around, even if some is mangled (Qubeley).

I'm aware of the pronunciation (although I wasn't of the inspiration). I just can't help but read the word as the lunch meat.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Space Bat posted:

When do we form super asia?

That's G Gundam, this is UC Gundam. If you want Super Asia but G Generation. Have him punch Kira in the dick a billion times

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Onmi posted:

My only guess is that you triggered the events too late If you're worried about the 50% forces loss thing, send a single unit into Jaburo and watch the enemy annihilate themselves while he sits his rear end there and doesn't care

I don't even know why I'm so worried about it anyways, I always just drop a single Argama down there, maybe with a few suits that never leave it, for the first battle and then drop my real troops after the nuke. Maybe I will try just doing Jaburo and researching the Zeta quicker.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
As Zeon, we get a large variety of mobile suits customized for our show-off ace pilots. Generally they are pretty neat, slightly cooler versions of our mass production suits. Of all the things we have at the moment, I personally think that Dozle Zabi's custom Zaku II is the coolest.

I mean look at that thing. It never appeared in any cartoon, but it looks rad as hell: nice custom shade of green, fancy-rear end gold trim, and that axe. Of course, this is a custom model some one made. If it did appear in the original show or movies, it would look something like this instead:

This is what the difference between 1979 and today gets you.

But it's not just about the looks. Remember how in the last update that thing sliced a battleship in two? That wasn't a fluke. The standard heat axe, carried by our Zaku II-C's, have an damage rating of 50, and a hit chance of 70%. Dozle's axe, on the other hand, has an damage rating of 128 and a hit chance of 99%. Woah. For comparison, that is exactly more powerful as the main cannons to our Musai space cruisers. Let's not forget that Dozle has a melee attack skill of 12, putting him on par with Johnny Ridden or a Black Tri-star.

And my favorite little fact about this machine? It has a custom cockpit, specifically enlarged so that Dozle Zabi could fit in it.

In the OYW canon, Dozle would use this for front-line "inspections" of Zeonic space forces, which typically became impromptu raids on nearby Feddies. He also had Shin Matsunaga, one of the most prominent retcon Zeon aces, as his bodyguard.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

TNG posted:

I vote we field the MS-09-R Rick Doms and exclusively refer to them as "the ones with skirts" for the rest of the thread.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I really want to laugh at how much easier the Feds have in space than on earth. The Magellian battleships shred Zeon, the star fighters are all useless, so no one uses them (for good reason). and hell even once the Mid-OYW kicks in you have Balls, who surprisingly stomp the poo poo out of Zeon.

But early-earth is horrid terrain for the Type-61, and paper thin waves against Zeons significant forces. you may possess the number advantage on paper, but in truth you'll wind up with TIN Cods who can't fight and tanks that wont get anywhere.

There is another way to win battles though. Capture every base on a battlescape and that territory becomes yours. This is much harder than it sounds because the enemy will always leave someone in the middle to guard it, so it typically turns into a route anyway.

Still, if you can. it can be an effective way to win if your opponent has an rear end in a top hat submarine anywhere

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

That loving submarine of the coast of africa :argh:

LordGugs
Oct 16, 2012

Onmi posted:

I really want to laugh at how much easier the Feds have in space than on earth. The Magellian battleships shred Zeon, the star fighters are all useless, so no one uses them (for good reason). and hell even once the Mid-OYW kicks in you have Balls, who surprisingly stomp the poo poo out of Zeon.

But early-earth is horrid terrain for the Type-61, and paper thin waves against Zeons significant forces. you may possess the number advantage on paper, but in truth you'll wind up with TIN Cods who can't fight and tanks that wont get anywhere.

There is another way to win battles though. Capture every base on a battlescape and that territory becomes yours. This is much harder than it sounds because the enemy will always leave someone in the middle to guard it, so it typically turns into a route anyway.

Still, if you can. it can be an effective way to win if your opponent has an rear end in a top hat submarine anywhere

This actually kinda makes sense, in space since 0059 there is the threat of Zeon, on earth there is really no threat to Federal Control. So it makes sense they would pump the space forces with money, too bad they weren't't prepared for how strong Zeon really was and how powerful mobile suits are.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

And the Federation space capital was at Zarn, so it would make sense to invest heavily in a space force. The sides turned out to be pretty hard to defend ('cause Zarn aint much around no more as of the start of this game).

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Pimpmust posted:

That loving submarine of the coast of africa :argh:

Whats even better is subs when you drop on Odessa.

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Question (it's been ten odd years, so I forgot):

If the other side is attacking your territory and it was producing resources/credits for you, does it still give you those resources while under siege, or does it get halted during the fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

Basarin posted:

Question (it's been ten odd years, so I forgot):

If the other side is attacking your territory and it was producing resources/credits for you, does it still give you those resources while under siege, or does it get halted during the fight?

I'm pretty sure that you still get the resources for it while it's under attack.

• Locked thread