Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

Tobias Grant posted:

I'm pretty sure that you still get the resources for it while it's under attack.

This is correct. The 'owner' of a province doesn't change unless the attacker wins, and it doesn't halt any money or resources gained. It does however prevent pretty much every other use on the strategic map (reinforce, movement, construction etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Caros posted:

This is correct. The 'owner' of a province doesn't change unless the attacker wins, and it doesn't halt any money or resources gained. It does however prevent pretty much every other use on the strategic map (reinforce, movement, construction etc.)

unless your the enemy, they still are producing units they just aren't being reinforced. If you knock them down to one unit, pass like 20 turns without capturing, then retreat and re-enter? Your opponent is going to have an ARMY.

Fun little facts about the game.

The AI does actually play by the rules of spy work. They can see how many units you have in a location, but not what types of units. So if the game sees 30+ units on a territory, it thinks it can't beat that. Even if you only have 1 units that works in that terrain.

If you press triangle before entering the battlescape, the game will enter auto-mode and control your units for you. This can be incredibly helpful when you have overwhelming numbers and/or have a lot of battles to go and know you will win.

Be forewarned, the AI is stupid and will try to go for a rout victory condition. For example in my current game Hawaii was free for the taking simply by moving my Pegasus ships to seize the final supply points. Instead the AI decided to send my units chasing after Garma's Gaw.

Still, it's nice when you have 5+ battles and really don't wanna sit through all of them.

Also. Gato can't be mad about me taking Solomon considering Zeon just up and GAVE IT TO ME!

Onmi fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 20, 2013

CornishGH
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

Yes you will. There's no need to so the White Base events at all, since the minor benefit (Removing Zeon Aces) doesn't outweigh the cost (losing Sleggar, Matilda, Ryu and a few other pilots).

Because once you're done with the OYW, those aces are almost never going to return except for the Delaz Fleet.

On the other hand, halting the White Base immediatly gives you a Gundam, Guncannon, Guntank and White Base, and the pilots to use them. And Kai and Amuro even at their E rank level will clean HOUSE.

Also, I love that you have a chart determining which part of the earth sphere drops where. If you are playing the Federation you must know that by heart! You have take C point as you assault Peking, preferably before you do! Otherwise Zeon is going to reinforce that battle zone and you NEED Peking by Turn 5. The very next battle operation is Hawaii, so the C-point remains invaluable.

Of course you can always try to control the entire Earth Sphere, but that will become much harder to do as Zeon builds up in space... until you get Mobile Suits.

It's funny that on both sides of the conflict once the Federation gets MS Zeon crumbles like a house of cards.

Don't forget that you get free copies of anything you research as a "prototype", so by necessity you'll have (at least) TWO White Base/Gundam/Guncannon/Guntank sets running around, plus the Proto-Gundam. Yazan in the Gundam with Revil in the White Base as support is a sight to behold.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

CornishGH posted:

Don't forget that you get free copies of anything you research as a "prototype", so by necessity you'll have (at least) TWO White Base/Gundam/Guncannon/Guntank sets running around, plus the Proto-Gundam. Yazan in the Gundam with Revil in the White Base as support is a sight to behold.

How dare you put Revil in anything that isn't a mobile suit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Indeed, the Eternal General served in Type-61, Ground Gundam, G3 and Alex as the days of the OYW come to a close and I Mercilessly retreat and re-attack side 3 to grind up my aces and build up research. leaving them in a perpetual cycle of building up only to be crushed.

Also, now I have to check to see if I save make a save on turn 99 and clear that multiple times to unlock all of the federation stuff.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 20, 2013

CornishGH
Dec 20, 2013

Khisanth Magus posted:

Good point. I almost want to get a Federation save up to CCA era so that I can put Revil in the Nu Gundam with his admittedly pathetic but still extant newtype powers.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CornishGH posted:

Good point. I almost want to get a Federation save up to CCA era so that I can put Revil in the Nu Gundam with his admittedly pathetic but still extant newtype powers.

and the reason you're not going for Hi-Nu or Penelope is...?

EDIT: Also, you may underestimate the humble unmodified GM. What with it being cannon fodder in the TV series and it being one of the (if not the) cheapest Federation MS.

Until you have a hoard of GMs, they will shred drat near anything with mass beam spray guns. And once you have them, the GM Sniper Custom takes the GMs spammable dakka power and gives it range.

Also man I had forgotten how tense the mid game could get, and how potentially dangerous the End-Game can be now that Zeon isn't spreading all of their forces across the globe.

I've missed you Ghiren's Greed. you horribly evil game. I really wanna give Shin Ghiren a shot now..

Onmi fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 20, 2013

CornishGH
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

I've missed you Ghiren's Greed. you horribly evil game. I really wanna give Shin Ghiren a shot now..

I've heard that the general opinion on that is "don't bother". The character campaigns are supposed to be pretty cool, but there's only one map: basically the campaign map is one huge battle map, which means that enemy attacks are basically one long line of units going all the way back to the enemy base, and assaulting bases is insanely tough because they can keep producing units even under attack. Plus, there's no Z/ZZ outside of being able to use those units in a normal OYW/CCA campaign by buying DLC.

I really wish I could get into this game, but the insanely strict timetable for the first few turns on either side in the OYW, plus the possibility for something totally random screwing you over like a submarine you can't attack makes it hard to get into.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CornishGH posted:

I've heard that the general opinion on that is "don't bother". The character campaigns are supposed to be pretty cool, but there's only one map: basically the campaign map is one huge battle map, which means that enemy attacks are basically one long line of units going all the way back to the enemy base, and assaulting bases is insanely tough because they can keep producing units even under attack. Plus, there's no Z/ZZ outside of being able to use those units in a normal OYW/CCA campaign by buying DLC.

I really wish I could get into this game, but the insanely strict timetable for the first few turns on either side in the OYW, plus the possibility for something totally random screwing you over like a submarine you can't attack makes it hard to get into.

So the traditional game isn't there at all? that's... incredibly disappointing. I could deal with only the OYW (Since that's always what gets the most focus in the EFSF campaign. Feddies for life yo.) but only the character stuff sounds pretty disappointing.

As for getting into it... yeah, it's hard. you can play on Very Easy which gives your Aces their "Famous" suits. Which leads to Shiro starting in space with an Ez-8 he can't use. And Burning's squad being utter shitwreckers simply for having 0083 tech.

CornishGH
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

So the traditional game isn't there at all? that's... incredibly disappointing. I could deal with only the OYW (Since that's always what gets the most focus in the EFSF campaign. Feddies for life yo.) but only the character stuff sounds pretty disappointing.

As for getting into it... yeah, it's hard. you can play on Very Easy which gives your Aces their "Famous" suits. Which leads to Shiro starting in space with an Ez-8 he can't use. And Burning's squad being utter shitwreckers simply for having 0083 tech.

Oh no, the traditional game is there, but you also have the option of playing a smaller-scale game as various commanders from the OYW, like M'quve, or Garma, or Amuro(they retcon it so that for his campaign it's the novel version of events where he's a military cadet). The main campaign is there, but it skips the gryps conflict and goes straight to CCA. You can use points you accrue over the campaign to pull in Z/ZZ or even unicorn pilots/suits but it's basically a bonus for new game plus.
And yeah, i played Zeon on very easy, it got to the point where I was desperately trying to avoid taking Jaburo so I could at least trigger the War in the Pocket events. My main problem is that it seems like there are several very much optimal paths to survive the first few turns, but I'm not sure which is the best and I tend to try to combine them with not-so great results.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

CornishGH posted:

Amuro(they retcon it so that for his campaign it's the novel version of events where he's a military cadet).

Not quite. It's a What-If where White Base manages re-entry to Jaburo, instead of coming down in North America. Amuro knows too much about the Gundam, so he's given the choice to either join the military or be imprisoned for the rest of the war (Bad End). Then he's sent to Madras with a Ground type Gundam along with Kai and Hayato in Ground GMs. From there it's standard take over the world stuff.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

quote:

"Lord Dozle I'm here to offer my assist-oh okay then."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CornishGH posted:

Oh no, the traditional game is there, but you also have the option of playing a smaller-scale game as various commanders from the OYW, like M'quve, or Garma, or Amuro(they retcon it so that for his campaign it's the novel version of events where he's a military cadet). The main campaign is there, but it skips the gryps conflict and goes straight to CCA. You can use points you accrue over the campaign to pull in Z/ZZ or even unicorn pilots/suits but it's basically a bonus for new game plus.
And yeah, i played Zeon on very easy, it got to the point where I was desperately trying to avoid taking Jaburo so I could at least trigger the War in the Pocket events. My main problem is that it seems like there are several very much optimal paths to survive the first few turns, but I'm not sure which is the best and I tend to try to combine them with not-so great results.

To be quite fair, not being able to see the War in the Pocket events isn't so much Very Easy as it is that the moment you gain traction, there's very little the enemy can do to stop you. The mid-game where Zeon was basically doing a pissing contest of "We can take X and Y territory very easily." was dangerous, but once you had them contained, hitting Odessa and Kilimanjaro were trivial. And space is a ridiculously easy battlefield, only hampered by neutral areas housing 1 fucker and having to take the chaos hit so he doesn't sneak into Luna 2.

Hell the Federation has to piss around till turn 75 to pick up an Ace AND make sure not to lose Yuu and Shiro.

Though part of the reason I had such trouble is I was low on cash and scrapped my Salamis, forgetting that only gives resources. so a lot of my captains are low levelled. Also a over reliance on Auto-Battle. which can be good to get your units moving towards the enemy, but to put this into perspective, I sent in 73 units vs 81. Zeon was winning the entire time through in Auto-Battle. I take control around half way through and crush Zeon that turn.

I really hate how some GMs come way to late to ever be useful "Here's the GM Aqua type. I know you've already taken Hawaii, but here it is anyway. Here's the Waterproof Gundam. same nonsense!"

CornishGH
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

To be quite fair, not being able to see the War in the Pocket events isn't so much Very Easy as it is that the moment you gain traction, there's very little the enemy can do to stop you. The mid-game where Zeon was basically doing a pissing contest of "We can take X and Y territory very easily." was dangerous, but once you had them contained, hitting Odessa and Kilimanjaro were trivial. And space is a ridiculously easy battlefield, only hampered by neutral areas housing 1 fucker and having to take the chaos hit so he doesn't sneak into Luna 2.

Yeah definitely. There are some things I just plain like better about Very Easy, especially having early Hygoggs and Acguys to deal with bullshit submarines, but usually you can pin the Federation back to Jaburo and its surroundings before they even have mobile suits in any real number. There's just so much that gets decided in the first few turns that on Easy on up you have to be really, REALLY concerned about each and every airplane and submarine on the entire planet.

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Tobias Grant posted:

If the enemy happens to own the territory that you will be dropping into, you will need to put them into carriers that are capable of breaking Earth's atmosphere. Right now, the only thing we have that can do that is the HLVs.

I can't exactly blame you for forgetting, since I only just remembered too, but this isn't quite true. There's also Komusai.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CornishGH posted:

Yeah definitely. There are some things I just plain like better about Very Easy, especially having early Hygoggs and Acguys to deal with bullshit submarines, but usually you can pin the Federation back to Jaburo and its surroundings before they even have mobile suits in any real number. There's just so much that gets decided in the first few turns that on Easy on up you have to be really, REALLY concerned about each and every airplane and submarine on the entire planet.

Easy is one of those weird things where "Yes, the game is easier than it would be... later on." but the early game is still an absolute murder. It's really weird because from about... me managing to get my units to Odessa to Granada? Zeon just seems to give up entirely.

Storming Odessa with 60+ units while they have 17. Not even a need to go in manually, Kilimanjaro is just as much of a joke.

Then in space, if you had any semblance of a Space Force (Seriously, Fear Balls) it's as simple as surrounding Solomon. Or as was in my case, Zeon utterly abandoning it! The more spread out the enemy is, the easier they are to handle. And if you take a moment to prep there is nothing that the Federation/Zeon can do once they are stuck in Side 3/Jaburo.

They attempted to have Delaz break out through my GM swarm, but then I reinforced with Sniper Customs and HOO BOY DO THEY STOMP FACES.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The AI is a complete joke and is only a challenge because it gets to ignore the economy (basically, build as much poo poo as it got slots to build/deploy with) and spying systems.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.

The new turn finally rolled around, and our new units have finished development.

And now that the MS-06F is finished, we unlocked some more variants for the Zaku.

I double the development cost on both of them, since I want both of them done on the next turn.

When you develop a new unit, you will get a free 'test' version of that unit that will appear at your capital. This is bad for us, because our capital is Side Three, which is as far away from the front line as you can get.

Anyway, here is the Zaku-II F-type. It has less HP, but more mobility than the C-type. Once I get the resources for it, I'll be turning all of our C-types into F-types.

The Jotunhiem is just like the Papua, and I immediately scrap it.

I also scrap the HLV that dropped into India. Once you get a foothold on Earth, HLV's become worthless, so once you use them it's best to scrap them.

While I'm at India, I replenish the squad that was down a Zaku.

Now that I have some Material, I immediately blow it all to upgrade the Zaku's over North America.

Oh, and I put Char there too.

Not much on the general movement front. The ones in the back are still on-route to the front, and the only real news is that I'm dropping another group down to India.

Offensively, however, is another story. I've got a massive force moving over South America, with the overall goal of capturing the circled territory before the EFSF has a chance to take over the neutral territory.

Groundside I attempt to grab as much territory as I can before the Feddies can mount an effective defense and box me in through sheer numbers.

Let's do this!

First up is Dell's solo op.

Two bombers and a tank squad. Normally I might have been worried.

However, I have a convenient base right here to sit on. In order to capture a base, you need to either use a mobile suit, a tank, or a capital ship. Flying units are unable to capture bases.

Those piddly bombers can't do anything to me while I'm on this base. And as long as I don't lose a suit, any damage they manage to do is repaired on the next turn.

In short, this battle was easily won with no losses on our side.

This battle... will be a bit more difficult

Topp ended up losing a Zaku, and only managed to destroy a hovercraft squad and damage two Fly Manta squads.

The only real opposition that Arth went up against was a Fly Manta Bomber.

It died quickly, and now I just have to chase off the two planes who can't actually hurt me, but I can hurt them. That will have to wait until next turn, though.

Now it's time to continue the Odessa battle.

With the only remaining enemies being a bomber squad, and two tank squads, I should be able to win this battle easily, right?

The bombers go down easily.

And then the tanks do the one exact action that could piss me off.

They sit still and wait.

This is as close as I was able to get before the battle ended. drat you tank squads! :argh:

Over South America, we finally get to be the ones who outnumber the enemy! It is a nice feeling.

On turn 3, We encounter the enemy. The Musai attacking the fighters only manages a single kill, but I wasn't really expecting great results out of that confrontation.

On the enemies turn, A stack of Sabrefish almost manage to down a Musai. A quick scan reveals why.

Sleggar law and Alpha A. Bate. Two decent aces that will be even more dangerous once they get into a mobile suit.

I pull back the damaged Musai, and give our Gattle's a chance to prove themselves against the Sabrefish.

It did not end well for them.

At least Sims managed to win her battle with minimal losses.

In retaliation, Bates finished off the lone Gattle, but not before it could shoot down two more Sabrefish.

Turn 5, and a series of scans reveal some interesting faces. Shiro Amada and Yu Kajima piloting Toriares, and John Kowen in the Magellan. All three being very good aces.

The stack of fighters would have been completely annihilated, but there was a surviving Toriares in the back. Apparently after crushing the cockpit of the Sabrefish with a heat hawk, the pilots decided that that was awesome enough and let the Toriares live.

Oh hey, Reccoa, I didn't know you were in that Sabrefish.

M'quve and John shoot at each other for a bit, but ultimately accomplish nothing.

Meanwhile Bate and Sims crash into each other.

John shoots down a Zaku, and the battle ends.

The last battle of the turn.

This battle will be over before those reinforcements will be in range to attack anyone.

Scanned some more Aces as well. Bernard Monsha, Chap Adel, and Terry Sanders.

Two Toriares survivors, would have been only one if that guy hadn't whiffed with his axe.

The Salamis that survived Shin is shot down.

Shin destroys a Columbus transport.

While Dozle cleaves another.

On the enemies turn, a couple of fighters try and take on Dozle.

Dozle swats them like flies.

The last enemy is easily taken care of, and we achieve our first victory in space!

--TURN THREE--

New suits, both of them vital to the next part of my plan.

Oh, and the Dopps done too, but I never plan to build any of them so who cares.

And now for something completely unexpected! Our spies managed to steal an enemy blueprint!

It's the plans for their crappy hovercrafts! This... might actually be more useful than you would think since they're extremely cheap and therefore make great garrison units, allowing me to keep my mobile suits constantly on the attack.

I start developing them immediately.

Anyway, here are our new suits. The MS-06J is a Zaku outfitted for fighting on the Earth's surface. J-types are great and you want as many of them as you can, but you also don't want to go crazy and upgrade all your Zakus into them because later on you'll want F-types even more. It is an interesting conundrum.

The MS-06S is a Zaku you want to put all of your highly-skilled aces into.

The Dopp is our fighter plane. I seriously doubt that I will ever make another squad of these. I'd scrap them, but you'll get so little back that it's just not worth the effort

Now it's time for my grand plan to come to fruition. First, I remodel a few of the Zakus over America into S-types.

Than I put Garma Zabi into each of the newly-made S-types.

And turn them all into Garma Customs. The result?

:getin:

The remaining material is used to remodel one of the Zakus in India into J-types. Johnny Ridden's, to be exact.

You see, the main reason J-types are great isn't because they're good on Earth.

It's because you can stick them onto Dodais and have them become flying units.

The time has come to drop over America! :black101:

Meanwhile on Earth I continue to spread and take over as much of Asia as I can, although I'll need to start moving on Africa at some point.

This should go by quick.

I want to say that this battle was a a glorious slaughter of the Feddie scum, but...

They chose to retreat instead, leaving just one tank squad behind to attempt to hold the fort.

Oh well, have Ramba Ral and Norris Packard showing off their new suits.

At least now I'm in the exact position I wanted to be.

Dell is in a bit more trouble than I thought he would be, and only managed to shoot down one Fly Manta before the battle had to end.

Johnny comes flying in to give Topp a hand.

I love the Dodai Riders :allears:

Other than Johnny destroying a tank squadron, nothing else happened.

Arth and his back-up shot down a plane. That's it.

Odessa is finally mine.

Gihren even pops up to say so!

Seig Zeon!

Just one more battle to wrap up, and turn three comes to an end.

Tobias Grant fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jun 4, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zaku. With. Dodai.

Those loving pieces of poo poo. When it comes down to Zeon's dominance in the EFSF early-game you can chalk it all up to these guys. The only really hard counter to them are the TIN Cod. A jet that can only attack flying units. And only in swarms! Except what Tobias didn't show off is that the Zaku can dismount the Dodai any time they choose to. So once that happens your TIN Cods can't touch them. Only the Fly Mantha Bomber is really able to help.

Another thing not shown? these guys have an upgrade to give them a ranged cannon. Needless to say many a game can go horribly wrong because of Zaku on Dodais.

Also, the Federation has a counterpart... a counterpart that's an Ace Suit and comes ridiculously out of time. On the other hand?

GMs with Flight Packs.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Is it wrong that the first thing that came to my mind was the lunatic snowboarding bazooka-wielding paratroopers from Dark Id's Dirge of Cerberus LP?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Redeye Flight posted:

Is it wrong that the first thing that came to my mind was the lunatic snowboarding bazooka-wielding paratroopers from Dark Id's Dirge of Cerberus LP?

No no you're thinking of Gundam X, whole different timeline

CornishGH
Dec 20, 2013

Onmi posted:

Zaku. With. Dodai.

Those loving pieces of poo poo. When it comes down to Zeon's dominance in the EFSF early-game you can chalk it all up to these guys. The only really hard counter to them are the TIN Cod. A jet that can only attack flying units. And only in swarms! Except what Tobias didn't show off is that the Zaku can dismount the Dodai any time they choose to. So once that happens your TIN Cods can't touch them. Only the Fly Mantha Bomber is really able to help.

When you do counter them with TIN Cods, though, it's a hilarious slaughter. It's true, though, they're incredibly useful for Zeon's early game.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Char is in a non-char custom suit, what is wrong with you?

Basarin
Oct 15, 2012
Let's be fair, Char doesn't exactly NEED one...

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Basarin posted:

Let's be fair, Char doesn't exactly NEED one...

Besides, not everything Char's flown has been red. The Zeong was white/violet and the Hyaku Shiki was gold. Presumably "it goes three times as fast" is just a general thing that applies to anything Char flies, not just the red ones.

On the other hand, this absolutely goes three times as fast.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Patter Song posted:

Besides, not everything Char's flown has been red. The Zeong was white/violet and the Hyaku Shiki was gold. Presumably "it goes three times as fast" is just a general thing that applies to anything Char flies, not just the red ones.

You laugh but Ball Rush is a legitimate way to control space as the Federation. They are cheap, only take a turn to produce, and have range. Mass balls shred MS, they shred ships, they shred everything.

letmun
May 8, 2013
When can we get a dom trompen kill squad

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Now that we've seen Norris Packard in action, albeit briefly, I'm gonna go into why he's cool.

Remember how I said 08th MS Team was about The Other Guys of the One Year War? It follows a squad of Feddie pilots in jury-rigged RX-79 Gundams, trying to hold out against the Zeon during the Battle of Earth. Whereas most Gundam is high-flying Top Gun aces-and-heroes stuff that focuses more on the drama of rivalry between pilots and vast political intrigue, 08th MS Team is all about gritty infantry warfare where there's not much glory, just a lot of bullshit to be shoveled. The heroes are competent, but not amazing ace god-slayers like most of the protags in other Gundam shows. And then you have Norris Packard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h4vObEQUAA

You see, Norris Packard exists, largely, to show the difference between 'competent soldiers' and 'genuine Mobile Suit ace.' :black101:

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Agent Interrobang posted:

Now that we've seen Norris Packard in action, albeit briefly, I'm gonna go into why he's cool.

Remember how I said 08th MS Team was about The Other Guys of the One Year War? It follows a squad of Feddie pilots in jury-rigged RX-79 Gundams, trying to hold out against the Zeon during the Battle of Earth. Whereas most Gundam is high-flying Top Gun aces-and-heroes stuff that focuses more on the drama of rivalry between pilots and vast political intrigue, 08th MS Team is all about gritty infantry warfare where there's not much glory, just a lot of bullshit to be shoveled. The heroes are competent, but not amazing ace god-slayers like most of the protags in other Gundam shows. And then you have Norris Packard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h4vObEQUAA

You see, Norris Packard exists, largely, to show the difference between 'competent soldiers' and 'genuine Mobile Suit ace.' :black101:

Man I love the 08th team so much, one of my favorite gundam series growing up.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
So, when you put an ace in a unit type that(s)he had a custom version of it turns into that custom version, and stays it when the ace is removed, but what happens if you put another ace that has a custom version of that unit in? Does it stay the original ace variant or change to the new one?

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009

Ardeem posted:

So, when you put an ace in a unit type that(s)he had a custom version of it turns into that custom version, and stays it when the ace is removed, but what happens if you put another ace that has a custom version of that unit in? Does it stay the original ace variant or change to the new one?

You use the upgrade/modify function to turn a normal unit into an Ace Custom. Ace Customs can't be modified any more, even back to their original form.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Ahh. Okay, thanks.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Patter Song posted:

Uh, Char didn't pilot the Hyaku Shiki. That was a completely different guy with the totally not made up name of Quattro Bagina

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Crowetron posted:

Uh, Char didn't pilot the Hyaku Shiki. That was a completely different guy with the totally not made up name of Quattro Bagina

Exactly right

This thread is amazing.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
To be fair, Char Aznable sounds like a made up name, too. Because it is.

I know in a couple of the action games, you could end up with Char fighting Quattro. I think in one it was a glitch, and in the other the combat chat would be all "WTF, time paradox!":ocelot:

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Char's name came from someone who he traded names with. His fake name was Edward Mass.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
What is the best Gundamn series to help me understand this thread?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Space Bat posted:

What is the best Gundamn series to help me understand this thread?

The original Mobile Suit Gundam. It's what forms the basis for the One Year War, which is what this game is depicting.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Redeye Flight posted:

The original Mobile Suit Gundam. It's what forms the basis for the One Year War, which is what this game is depicting.

And if you don't wanna watch the series, the three compilation movies are just as good.

OF course to understand everything you'll need to watch

-Mobile Suit Gundam
-Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
-Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam
-Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
-Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
-Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories
-Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team

And also be familiar with the video game plots of Rise from the Ashes and Blue Destiny.

EDIT: And Igloo now that I think about it. Hell you'll need to read some Manga too... Just watch the three compilation movies and think "On the side, other poo poo happened"

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioav3KANvfE

It is the year 0079 of the universal century. A half century has passed since earth began moving it's burgeoning population into gigantic orbiting space colonies.
A new home for mankind, where people are born and raised,

and die...

Nine months ago, the cluster of colonies farthest from the earth called Side 3 proclaimed itself the Principality of Zeon, and launched a war of independence against the Earth Federation. Initial fighting lasted over one month and saw both sides lose half their respective populations.
People are horrified by the indescribable atrocities that had been committed in the name of independence.
Eight months are passed since the rebellion began.

They are at a stalemate.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
In the grim darkness of the far future, there is One Year War...

• Locked thread