Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
In one of the videos linked in the OP, I saw Dedede using that airdashing into minion trick to do a horizontal recovery back onto the stage, but I can't figure out how to do it. Am I missing something here, or is that not doable in the mod as-is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
P:M tournament going on atm: http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I guess it would be more useful to ask what stages have what 'default' songs attached to them so I can do a custom soundtrack properly without writing a bunch of stuff down, assuming there's already a list out there somewhere for Project M?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Is it possible to use the Project M characters in Brawl's regular one-player modes?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I'm lovin' this Metaknight player, I like how patient he is, just walking around everywhere.

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

alcharagia posted:

Is it possible to use the Project M characters in Brawl's regular one-player modes?

I'm not sure. Using normal brawl characters in classic doesn't crash the game anymore at least. I haven't tried the Space Emisarry or whatever yet. If it doesn't work your console will just crash and you gotta unplug it.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

This is a little silly to gripe about but I feel like they went to really weird lengths with the changes they made to make it more like Melee? Like Fox's reflector having the Item Pick Up Noise because who doesn't miss the game only having like 10 sound effects? And the victory screen being a black void. Like, the black screen looks fine in Melee but because of the way the camera moves with Brawl's results screen, and how it's set up with all characters present it just ends up looking really jarring. There's a lot of stuff that I feel like they only changed "because Melee did it like this" and not for any gameplay balance or particular reasoning. In general Project M's aesthetics kind of suck compared to vanilla Brawl, I loathe the menus.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

I guess it would be more useful to ask what stages have what 'default' songs attached to them so I can do a custom soundtrack properly without writing a bunch of stuff down, assuming there's already a list out there somewhere for Project M?
There are PM specific song lists out there but as of 3.0 they're all out of date. This should probably help though. It's a .txt file in the music folder.

quote:

The list of songs replaced in Project M 3.0 is as follows:

A01 - Ground Theme (SMB) -> Metal Mario (Super Smash Bros.)
A17 - Mario Bros. -> Fountain of Dreams (Melee)
A20 - Mario Circuit -> Princess Peach's Castle (Melee)
B09 - 25m BGM -> Kongo Jungle (Super Smash Bros.)
C18 - The Hidden Village -> Hyrule Castle (Super Smash Bros.)
H06 - Victory Road -> Saffron City (Super Smash Bros.)
K07 - Porky's Theme -> Fourside (Melee)
R03 - Hanenbow Ambience -> Hyrule Field Theme
W01 - Princess Peach's Castle (Melee) -> Mushroom Kingdom 2 (Melee)
W06 - Fountain of Dreams (Melee) -> Green Greens (Melee)
W07 - Green Greens (Melee) -> Gourmet Race (Super Smash Bros.)
W15 - Super Mario Bros. 3 (Melee) -> Yoshi's Story (Melee)

miscellaneous14 posted:

In one of the videos linked in the OP, I saw Dedede using that airdashing into minion trick to do a horizontal recovery back onto the stage, but I can't figure out how to do it. Am I missing something here, or is that not doable in the mod as-is?
You can throw the Waddle Dees in nearly any direction by moving roling the control stick up, reverse, or down immediately after the initial side-B, and smash-side-B throws them far away. If you throw it up in front of you, it'll be in the perfect position to jump, then airdodge into it.

Yoshi's eggs and Snake's grenades work this way too. Keep in mind you can catch items by airdodging in this game. Better yet with good timing you can actually throw the item near the end of the airdodge by pressing A or the C-stick. So theoretically you could do the recovery with Snake, Link, Toon Link, Peach, or anyone if there's an item nearby, but if you miss the timing you fall to your death. What's cool about Dedede is that it's easy and automatic.

Bacon Drew posted:

I'm not sure. Using normal brawl characters in classic doesn't crash the game anymore at least. I haven't tried the Space Emisarry or whatever yet. If it doesn't work your console will just crash and you gotta unplug it.

I beat Intense Classic Mode with Giga Bowser, and here's what happened:
  • It was ridiculously easy, up until Master/Crazy Hand which was somehow able to one-hit-KO Giga Bowser. After failing the impossible, I beat lonesome Master Hand, barely.
  • I unlocked 5 trophies for beating targets when in reality I failed all of them.
  • Got a Mario trophy for beating it.
  • Out of nowhere a cutscene from Subspace Emissary plays after the credits.
  • Bowser's congratulations screen, as expected.

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Dec 11, 2013

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

F. Lobot posted:

You can throw the Waddle Dees in nearly any direction by moving roling the control stick up, reverse, or down immediately after the initial side-B, and smash-side-B throws them far away. If you throw it up in front of you, it'll be in the perfect position to jump, then airdodge into it.

Thanks, I figured it was something like this.

Also holy poo poo, Bowser actually beating a competent Marth in this tournament. :staredog:

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

miscellaneous14 posted:

Also holy poo poo, Bowser actually beating a competent Marth in this tournament. :staredog:
It's actually the guy who designed Project M Bowser.

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Dec 11, 2013

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also it's worth noting that Bowser has been doing well at tournaments in general. A Bowser player won Michigan's Big House 3 about two months ago, beating out a really good Mario (another amazing character in P:M, definitely top 8).

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Also it's worth noting that Bowser has been doing well at tournaments in general. A Bowser player won Michigan's Big House 3 about two months ago, beating out a really good Mario (another amazing character in P:M, definitely top 8).

Make's me excited to see Giga Bowser in tournament. :pervert:

e: Turbo Mode tournament right now. #turbotuesdays

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 11, 2013

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President
I'll try this later but has anyone got this running with a SD card greater than 2GB? I've got a 16GB SD Card tied to a few applications on a homebrew Wii.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

I'll try this later but has anyone got this running with a SD card greater than 2GB? I've got a 16GB SD Card tied to a few applications on a homebrew Wii.

It won't work. Brawl can't read any cards larger than 2 GB last I checked.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

ChaosArgate posted:

It won't work. Brawl can't read any cards larger than 2 GB last I checked.

Ah cheers for that. I'll just need to copy the contents onto another SD card. I can't wait to try this I loved Melee!

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Oh god I played like, 3 hours of this last night with some friends and it's so good. It's like the glory days of Melee all over again :allears:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
There's a little PKMN-150 on the back of Mewtwo's armor that you can only see by zooming in really close when paused. It's even in the same font as the original Pokemon games, it looks like.

These guys are good.

On the other hand...

nerdbot posted:

This is a little silly to gripe about but I feel like they went to really weird lengths with the changes they made to make it more like Melee? Like Fox's reflector having the Item Pick Up Noise because who doesn't miss the game only having like 10 sound effects? And the victory screen being a black void. Like, the black screen looks fine in Melee but because of the way the camera moves with Brawl's results screen, and how it's set up with all characters present it just ends up looking really jarring. There's a lot of stuff that I feel like they only changed "because Melee did it like this" and not for any gameplay balance or particular reasoning. In general Project M's aesthetics kind of suck compared to vanilla Brawl, I loathe the menus.

I don't feel this strongly about it, but I do have to agree to some extent -- there are a lot of things that do feel like they were just changed back because Melee did it. The only ones that seriously bug me, though, are Falco's Reflector (I liked having him kick it out, it gave him some character), Marth's Shield Breaker (I liked having it be a stab -- again, it gave him some character and differentiates it from all of his other slashing moves), and Final Destination being the Melee version, I thought Brawl's was a lot more interesting to look at (though I do appreciate the amazing custom background. I think it even syncs with the main Brawl FD theme like Brawl's original FD.). I know the PMBR were, obviously, taking Melee as the biggest source of inspiration for development, and they did acknowledge a lot of the cool ideas Brawl managed to pull off, but not quite all of them, and it feels a little jarring when they don't. Given all the other improvements they've made, though, I can forgive a little indulgence for Melee's details over Brawl's.

You can put the menu back to vanilla Brawl, though, I discovered that by accident. I think it has to do with the mu_menumain.pac file (it's in projectm/pf/menu2), if you go out and download Brawl's original mu_menumain.pac and put it there, it will revert to vanilla Brawl, though there is some confusion about the new stages and music in My Music.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
I can actually appreciate changing Final Destination to Melee's version, since the Brawl version has those awful ledges that ruins a handful of characters' recoveries.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Well, sure, but the rest of the stage looked awesome. They coulda just put some better walls on those ledges instead of going back. :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Wild Knight posted:

There's a little PKMN-150 on the back of Mewtwo's armor that you can only see by zooming in really close when paused. It's even in the same font as the original Pokemon games, it looks like.

These guys are good.

My favorite thing is the Nintendo Hotline on alt ROB's visor. That, or Fire Flower Peach getting new particle effects.

Cadetcons
Aug 15, 2008

Countblanc posted:

My favorite thing is the Nintendo Hotline on alt ROB's visor. That, or Fire Flower Peach getting new particle effects.

I really enjoy the glitter that comes off fairy Jigglypuff's wings when she floats :sissies:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

These guys are good.

They gave Dr. Mario the megavitamins and the electric affinity on some of his attacks. They went all out on preserving details. :allears:

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
Diddy has a victory pose that I'm fairly certain wasn't in vanilla Brawl, based on DKC2, I think. He's dropping some mad beats with his shades and his stereo. :iia:

Weird thing that happened with importing music, I imported Conquest~Ablaze from Fire Emblem Awakening into Castle Siege, but after about 30 seconds, there's suddenly this horrible tearing noise and the music turns into...Bloody Tears from Castlevania. And not even the version of Bloody Tears I have playing over on Dracula's Castle, not even any version I downloaded! How does that even happen?

I'm sorry I keep turning back to hacking talk, but this thread is better suited to it

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

Diddy has a victory pose that I'm fairly certain wasn't in vanilla Brawl, based on DKC2, I think. He's dropping some mad beats with his shades and his stereo. :iia:

Weird thing that happened with importing music, I imported Conquest~Ablaze from Fire Emblem Awakening into Castle Siege, but after about 30 seconds, there's suddenly this horrible tearing noise and the music turns into...Bloody Tears from Castlevania. And not even the version of Bloody Tears I have playing over on Dracula's Castle, not even any version I downloaded! How does that even happen?

I'm sorry I keep turning back to hacking talk, but this thread is better suited to it

Does it happen consistently? I'm thinking maybe the author messed up somewhere with their BSTRM.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]
It does happen consistently, and that's what I thought at first, but when I play the preview on the site I got it from it sounded fine. :iiam: It's probably something that can be fixed with a redownload or just doing it myself, but it's so weird. Especially how it actually kind of fits, because the tearing and switch happens just as the stage is transitioning to the underground lava cave.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Wild Knight posted:

You can put the menu back to vanilla Brawl, though, I discovered that by accident. I think it has to do with the mu_menumain.pac file (it's in projectm/pf/menu2), if you go out and download Brawl's original mu_menumain.pac and put it there, it will revert to vanilla Brawl, though there is some confusion about the new stages and music in My Music.
It's even easier that that. Just delete mu_menumain.pac and it'll revert to the original. It works this way will all custom stages, music, and costumes (Though the alternate costume engine may have thrown a wrench in all that) Note that I haven't tried it so I don't know if changing the menu causes any problems.

Wild Knight posted:

It does happen consistently, and that's what I thought at first, but when I play the preview on the site I got it from it sounded fine. :iiam: It's probably something that can be fixed with a redownload or just doing it myself, but it's so weird. Especially how it actually kind of fits, because the tearing and switch happens just as the stage is transitioning to the underground lava cave.
Delete the song and then recopy it over. If that doesn't work backup everything, reformat, and recopy it all back.

In general you never want to replace files on the SD card, but rather delete the original first, and then copy over your new file. Also leave at least 100MB free on the SD card.

A lot of people may recommend defragmenting the SD card, and it is a temporary fix, but that also lowers the life expectancy of your SD card, and the static music problem is more likely to resurface. I'm adding a troubleshooting section to the OP because this problem is showing up a lot.

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

In a few days there will be an update that that allows larger SD cards for homebrew users, but hackless users are still bound to 2GB.

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 11, 2013

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
I just played Project M for five hours with my best friend.

Neither of us care about anything more than "hit each other and have fun," and we had a blast.

He has played Pikachu through all three games so having all of his favorite moves back brought a tear to my heart.

Smash fans can be cool people :unsmith:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I finally got this working after two days of trying, and it is awesome. Now I just need to persuade someone to play with me, although I don't think that will be too hard.

I really like Link so far, I can't put my finger on why but he seems so much better than he used to. I guess I have to figure out the bomb jump if I ever want to survive being knocked off-stage though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Aston posted:

I finally got this working after two days of trying, and it is awesome. Now I just need to persuade someone to play with me, although I don't think that will be too hard.

I really like Link so far, I can't put my finger on why but he seems so much better than he used to. I guess I have to figure out the bomb jump if I ever want to survive being knocked off-stage though.

Bomb jumping is pretty simple, you should definitely be able to figure it out! :) The hard part is doing it in the middle of a fight while your opponent is throwing shadow balls or chasing after you with swords or whatever, but that just comes with doing it enough. Remember, the best way to improve at a game isn't to try to win matches with friends (since you'll rely on things that worked in the past), but to try a bunch of poo poo and see what sticks!

As for Link being different, I think it's that he feels much more "skirmish-y" now; His boomerang comes out MUCH faster and has enough hitstun to generally lead to some extra free damage, he's faster, and he throws bombs further.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Does anybody wanna start some WiFi matches? My friend code's in the OP.

Also, what's a convenient resource for goons to communicate while playing WiFi? I was thinking of starting a Steam group or something like that.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I'd love to, but unfortunately I don't have any controllers at my house right now. Hopefully I should have a chance to throw down this weekend though!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

In case anyone was wondering for the purposes of music replacement:

Side-Scrolling Mario Level(both halves) -> Metal Mario Level

Green Greens -> Dreamland 64

Mario Arcade Game -> Fountain of Dreams

Mario Kart -> Peach's Castle

New Pork City -> Fourside

DK Arcade Game -> Kongo Jungle 64

Spear Pillar -> Saffron City

Bridge of Eldin -> Hyrule Castle 64

That should help you replace music for the right level pretty easily.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

In case anyone was wondering for the purposes of music replacement:

Side-Scrolling Mario Level(both halves) -> Metal Mario Level

Green Greens -> Dreamland 64

Mario Arcade Game -> Fountain of Dreams

Mario Kart -> Peach's Castle

New Pork City -> Fourside

DK Arcade Game -> Kongo Jungle 64

Spear Pillar -> Saffron City

Bridge of Eldin -> Hyrule Castle 64

That should help you replace music for the right level pretty easily.

Not for nothing, but the Project M files come with a .txt file that tells you exactly that.

Edit: Whoops, my reading comprehension's a little off tonight. My bad, this is actually helpful.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
So, am I not supposed to be playing this for too long? I played for about 1:16, then the game crashed, and I haven't been able to make it to the start up screen for the past three tries.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

F. Lobot posted:

In a few days there will be an update that that allows larger SD cards for homebrew users, but hackless users are still bound to 2GB.

Hey, not that I doubt you, but do you have a link to something confirming this? Just want to know whether I need to go out and get an SD card or if I can just wait a couple days :)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Raserys posted:

So, am I not supposed to be playing this for too long? I played for about 1:16, then the game crashed, and I haven't been able to make it to the start up screen for the past three tries.

There's been a good amount of crashes reported with the most recent patch. The worst I've heard of though can be solved by just restarting your system, I've never known a crash that locks up at the title screen.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Something to note: there's stability issues with Brawl hacks in general when playing on Wifi for too long, and everyone will crash simultaneously. It can, in my experience, be circumvented by dropping the lobby and restarting it every hour or so, though.

They might've fixed that in 3.0, but my own hack partition and previous versions of Project M that I had played (which, confessedly, aren't recent releases) suffer from this.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Is there a way to remove former Brawl hacks before installing this? That might be what's causing my comedy of errors trying to get this going.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Is there a way to remove former Brawl hacks before installing this? That might be what's causing my comedy of errors trying to get this going.

Try formatting your SD Card to completely purge everything. Be sure all of your Virtual Console/WiiWare games on your SD Card are backed up though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Just go into private/wii/apps/RSBE and delete the "pf" and "pfmenu2" folders, if they exist, and that should take care of any previous hacks you had installed. Also delete codes/RSBE01.gct and paste in the Project M one.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 12, 2013

• Locked thread