Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Tunicate posted:

is it on top of it? the way it was presented made them look like exclusive categories rather than ones that stack, which would mean a 3 garnet person could scrape by with the self prison bet keeping them aflaot
to clarify we're actually talking about episode 5, direct rule quote from the korean->english subs (the english dub's subs have some funny mistakes):
Players with a final score of four or less will be penalized. Players with a final score of four or less will lose one Piece. A final score of negative one or less will lose two Pieces. The player with the lowest final score will lose three Pieces.

The last part never came up because people were just spending Pieces anyway to figure out their number despite that being a dangerous game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lotus Aura posted:

finale talk
Hexagon could've gone either way on paper, but the amount of times ORBIT got it wrong and still came back meant it was 100% his game to lose; if he only buzzed in when he was sure, he would've gotten that one easily and it wouldn't even be close. It is a shame we never got to see head-to-head Liar's Dice but I'm sure something similar will come up in a potential s2.
Yeah the 1 point advantage from the pieces could have been very inconsequential, but it allowed Seok Jin to play a lot more cautiously while Orbit went a bit hard earlier trying to make it up imo and fell into that massive hole. I bet if Orbit had started up 1-0 he just runs away with it and I think he was better at that game. Both of these players were stars of the show, so definitely a fitting finale, and the show was a lot of fun. I think it's nearly impossible for any show to match the original run of the Genius and this show didn't either but i still liked almost all the players.

Really Hyesun who went home through no fault of her own was the only invisible player, and the idol from Seventeen probably brought the least skill but at least we did get to know him, the Go player just went to jail a lot and then died but oh well.

I don't think all the games necessarily need to have a "secret" that you can figure out but that's fun once in awhile. Coming up with a sick strategy just from the public rules is cool too though. I feel like this series had a few main matches though where it was just kind of chaos, or you could get a bad roll or card or whatever. The prize matches, even if it's a step down from having death matches, were all good and pretty cool, as were the finale matches.

Math poker was super cool though, Orbit and Seok Jin were leagues better than the rest of the competition in that one, so even when Orbit got down to 1 after the early bad beat i wasn't totally shocked by him clawing out of it.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

there was a korean article about the uk the genius production where they include a detail about it airing in 2024, but obviously that's all in the air

and a 3-part series interview with jjy about the devil's plan, major spoilers inside and below: https://www.news1.kr/articles/?5197924 https://www.news1.kr/articles/5197926 https://www.news1.kr/articles/?5197927
rough notes:
- didn't expect Orbit's save-everyone thing was even on the table and got pretty embarassed at it. couldn't tell him not to given how jjy handles their shows (very hands-off), thinks of it as a new narrative
- mentions the zoo game and how Orbit wasn't playing against players, but playing against the game itself
- thought the safe would be opened a day earlier
- the entire point there was to have people then plan around the pieces in the living area, which isn't possible when the prisoner who wins goes straight into the final main match
- ultimately thinks they cast too many defensive players, but you can't really judge that in the time you have to interview them
- thought a lot about doing s2 but it's on netflix to greenlight before he gets to make a decision, their approval process does mess with his other shows though

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

One thing that has helped me enjoy The Devil's Plan more is knowing that, what we all know after watching everything, it's going to be extremely difficult for anything to top Jinho breaking Open, Pass so I'm just not disappointed when it doesn't happen

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Mob posted:

One thing that has helped me enjoy The Devil's Plan more is knowing that, what we all know after watching everything, it's going to be extremely difficult for anything to top Jinho breaking Open, Pass so I'm just not disappointed when it doesn't happen

I would put (final two) Seok Jin and ORBIT up there with the other Genius finalists though. They earned their spots and even in a more cutthroat game I think they'd still find a way to hang.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
For us 3D printer-havers you can make your own pieces here. I had issues printing in the recommended vertical orientation, and then found it prints fine just flat against a smooth bed. Only a little bit of filing needed to get them to fit nicely, and you are able to read out the next year code in the markings.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Up through the first 6 episodes of devils plan Dong Jae did nothing wrong except for play his first game’s role really well and then just have a sort of evil vibe I guess. Literally didn’t betray anybody, just made a small alliance team. Then broke up the team when he realized the big alliance was going to grind them out if they didn’t diversify a bit. Sucks to see him leave early because we was a guy who did poo poo in a season that’s having a bit of a follow the leader flow atm

On the flipside seeing the majority alliance try to emotionally browbeat the two women into betraying Dong Jae sucked a lot. Even if it was all based on a misunderstanding, it was pretty heavy handed stuff. Especially after they cast themselves as the underdogs while having an 8-3 player count advantage. Minority alliances can be strong in these genius type games but that team basically got about as crushed as you can get in the previous main match so it’s not like they were dominating

Would love to see the format changed up a bit in future seasons, if they do them.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 15, 2023

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

GuavaMoment posted:

For us 3D printer-havers you can make your own pieces here. I had issues printing in the recommended vertical orientation, and then found it prints fine just flat against a smooth bed. Only a little bit of filing needed to get them to fit nicely, and you are able to read out the next year code in the markings.
i was wondering when someone would do this, there's significantly higher quality renders to work with if you check the bts stuff on the intro animation: https://www.behance.net/gallery/181506233/The-Devils-Plan?ilo0=1

Jump King posted:

Up through the first 6 episodes of devils plan Dong Jae did nothing wrong except for play his first game’s role really well and then just have a sort of evil vibe I guess. Literally didn’t betray anybody, just made a small alliance team. Then broke up the team when he realized the big alliance was going to grind them out if they didn’t diversify a bit. Sucks to see him leave early because we was a guy who did poo poo in a season that’s having a bit of a follow the leader flow atm

On the flipside seeing the majority alliance try to emotionally browbeat the two women into betraying Dong Jae sucked a lot. Even if it was all based on a misunderstanding, it was pretty heavy handed stuff. Especially after they cast themselves as the underdogs while having an 8-3 player count advantage. Minority alliances can be strong in these genius type games but that team basically got about as crushed as you can get in the previous main match so it’s not like they were dominating

Would love to see the format changed up a bit in future seasons, if they do them.
oh something i never mentioned in the thread but (really you can read this from like ep 3): the whole 'underdogs' is a controversial translation choice, Orbit refers to the team and himself as weak players who need to band together to take out the strong ones and that's how they decided to phrase it instead. underdog having a lot more connotations than that certainly doesn't help things.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

oh something i never mentioned in the thread but (really you can read this from like ep 3): the whole 'underdogs' is a controversial translation choice, Orbit refers to the team and himself as weak players who need to band together to take out the strong ones and that's how they decided to phrase it instead. underdog having a lot more connotations than that certainly doesn't help things.

That does make more sense. There's a point near the end where Kyung-rim says something to the effect of "somehow most of the people eliminated came from the small alliance" and I wanted to scream at my monitor. You! You are the reason! I sympathize with ORBIT's overall plan but I wish any of them understood the implications of what they did to the small alliance besides him. Maybe he wouldn't have carried the weight of it so hard if they did.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i was wondering when someone would do this, there's significantly higher quality renders to work with if you check the bts stuff on the intro animation: https://www.behance.net/gallery/181506233/The-Devils-Plan?ilo0=1

Doesnt change much for me. The “top players” won one main game and then got their poo poo wrecked on the second main game burning up some pieces in the process. And I get that orbit himself might not see it this way but he’s obviously one of the strongest players there

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

They weren't even that strong in game one, the fanatic played really poorly. The reward structure means you can put a bounty on your own head to get killed in turn 1.

There are fancier strategies (like acting as a public mouthpiece for the journalist), but the incentives for this mafia variant extending beyond the game change how it handles.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Tunicate posted:

They weren't even that strong in game one, the fanatic played really poorly. The reward structure means you can put a bounty on your own head to get killed in turn 1.

I thought it was fine. He worked with his alliance, found the terrorists, and ran interference so they could win and then collected a piece from each of them. Getting 3 pieces and an alliance from that game is a pretty good result imo

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

anyone in the uk interested in being on the itv version there's open applications: https://thegeniusgameuk.com/

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
going to say "oi" a bunch and trick them into thinking i am a uk citizen

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
My Devil Game thoughts. Spoilers for the whole series.

Editing choices are incredibly weird. I get that they’re trying to have cliffhangers leading in to the next episode, but they randomly end some episodes right in the middle of a game in a way that I find annoying and confusing. It also makes every episode blur together for me, so I remember the games but have no idea of the corresponding episode numbers.

I also didn’t really like the reality TV elements of them just hanging around in the hotel area. I just didn’t care about those parts, except for the setup with the pieces + safe meta puzzle. I did like the sense of mystery with that meta puzzle though.

At first I thought prize games sounded like an interesting inversion of deathmatches, i.e. that you want to keep strong players around so they feed into the prize pool on prize matches. But in practice I think deathmatches are better. Genius Deathmatches sort of act like a safety net - if a strong player loses a main match to dogshit luck then they have a chance to survive if they win the deathmatch. Here if someone has one bad main match and didn’t have a piece buffer to save them then they go straight home. So I think some fairly strong players got sent home early here (Guilleame and Dong Jae), and might not have done so if the deathmatches were part of the show. I think deathmatches also give more counterplay to minority alliances, spite picking their deathmatch opponents.

And the prize matches themselves ended up feeling kind of random and meaningless. Too many immediate fail conditions, and it didn’t feel like they played well on the games they won or poorly on the games they lost. It also didn’t feel like individual performance mattered in most of them (some exceptions). I also think that from an audience perspective deathmatches have more at stake since they directly decide eliminations, but I didn’t really care how big the prize pool was nor have a good grasp how much 50/100 million won is.

Spiny Puzzle Solving - Felt like they were doing well then one tough puzzle made them immediately fail and they got nothing.
Word Tower Game - Felt like they were struggling, but they happened to pull through in the nick of time each round and win. And as a native English speaker the parts where they got stuck on a word seemed insanely insanely easy.
Hospital Memory Game - Seemed really hard but one person just soloed everything.
Weights Game - Seemed like it was going well and one team had solved it but then 2 mistakes sunk everything.
Face Memory Game - Seemed hard and they struggled at the start but somehow won. But this one also seemed much more forgiving about making mistakes.
4-Player Connect 3 - Seemed like it was going well then 1 mistake sunk everything.

I also think the elimination format in the Devils’ Plan was incredibly weird. Some days nobody gets eliminated, other days 3 people get eliminated. And I just think a more consistent elimination schedule works better. Here it felt like the penalties and prizes were being desperately reworked on the fly to try to balance out that there had been too many or too few eliminations.

As for the main matches themselves.

Virus game:
Neat mafia variant. I liked how the special roles had conditions they had to do to activate their abilities. I do agree that Guillame was playing up the ‘confused foreigner’ angle too much, but I have to respect the brass balls to shoot someone in the middle of a crowded room, get seen doing it and somehow talk his way out of it. I also think Dong Mae did well here, yeah he didn’t die fast and Martyr is an easy role but he intervened when Seok Jin was about to shoot Guillame and saved his alliance that way.

Rules Race: Wasn’t really possible for us to engage with the rule construction part of the game since they were never listed in English. “Gain an escape ticket when an escape ticket is used” was a cool synergy strat for the big alliance to use, but also relied a lot on having twice as many members as their opponents. With fewer people they’d have fewer tickets to spend pushing people back and also fewer opportunities to set the group rules they wanted so wouldn’t have worked nearly as well. (See how the strat dropped off as their members crossed the line). Minority alliance’s rules seemed interesting but never triggered and were kind of hard countered anyway. Getting dice screwed on this game sucks, but it did seem like alliances and strategy were more significant than dice luck.

Secret Number: Sharing known info with other players seems zero sum: you get +1 point for knowing theirs, but get -1 for them knowing yours. But becomes positive sum if you get every number correct and get the full completion bonus. Still probably not worth trying as single mistake would be devastating. Aside from that it’s notable that if someone knows their own number then they can work out anyone else’s number using a set of addition cards and leave all the other cards untouched. It was a bit rough watching someone get brow beaten into betraying their ally over a misunderstanding but it was also kind of funny watching Dong Jae misunderstand someone’s behaviour as a betrayal of his former allies, then he himself got misunderstood as betraying when he flagged it up. And it wouldn’t have happened if his social game wasn’t trash / if he made himself appear more trustworthy.

Zoo Game: Seok-Jin said this would have been a good game if people played individually, and I think he’s flat out wrong. If you’re playing solo then the game is way too random. As a solo you have no idea what other people are spending in order to place the highest bid, and no ability to push an even greater number of coins into the other option so your preference wins. So IMO this game only works at all with alliances. Might’ve worked better with smaller or more fluid alliances rather than the one majority alliance trying to farm as many points as possible for as many people as possible.

Grass Game: Robbery tile is completely broken. If it was changed to “copy someone else’s tile and add it to your area” then that would STILL be the second most powerful power up overall (Most powerful is gain a piece powerup).. And in the right circumstances it would remain the most powerful. And put it this way, exchange ticket is getting a different tile out of a set of 5 to use on your turn. A duplication ability would be choose out of ANY of the previously played tiles and use IN ADDITION to your turn. When it’s a robbery ability it’s that, plus a potential -3 piece swing to the person you target depending on how badly you screw them.

Hi Lo Poker - Really good game. The spread bet rules are underbaked though and needed some kind of incentive. Maybe if you win a spread bet then all other players pay you an additional 5 chips. Something like that.

Because getting 20 AND 1 by reordering the same set of cards is always going to be more difficult than reaching just 20 or just 1. And the payoff doesn’t seem worth it. Yes a spread bet gets the whole pot if it wins (rather than splitting it with the other bet type), but it has to win twice to do that and it loses everything if even one of the equation fails. Even if you got exact matches on both you could still get screwed by card value or suit value tiebreakers.

Aside from that it seemed like a game that tested a lot of different abilities and Orbit neatly showcased how a strong player could claw his way back from a disadvantaged position.

Finals:

Bit disappointing to be honest. Even just at a glance the players made some pretty big blunders on Nine Man’s Morris. And Orbit threw incredibly hard on the memory game, which was frustrating to watch. I’m a lot better at this type of memory game than the visual memory games but still 19 numbers is a lot to remember and it would’ve taken a lot of effort to play along in earnest, so I do think it was a taxing game but I also would’ve expected players to... not pick up -6pts from penalties. I also wonder if there was some kind of trick to this game, but if so I wasn’t paying enough attention to uncover it.

I do think Orbit was “smarter”/ had a higher ceiling than Seok-Jin, but he couldn’t keep his composure and killed himself with errors.

So Seok-Jin definitely deserved to win, and it didn’t feel particularly close. But it was more down to Orbit making mistakes than Seok-Jin playing excellently. Seok-Jin’s prison escapades were pretty cool though.

I also feel like the cast in general had a few too many “do nothing” members some of whom lasted way too long. Part of the problem there was Orbit’s “keep everyone alive” strats which both kept unimpressive players around beyond their sell by date, but also prevented people from making big plays and/or punished people when they did but I think the cast was just less interesting to start. For the future of game shows I beseech you, start a Sangmin cloning program.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Finally finished The Devil's Plan.

I miss Great Escape so much.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Anaconda Rifle posted:

Finally finished The Devil's Plan.

I miss Great Escape so much.

Since the PD left TVN, I don’t think there will be any more Great Escape. Or if there is, it’ll be with a whole new production crew.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

qbert posted:

Since the PD left TVN, I don’t think there will be any more Great Escape. Or if there is, it’ll be with a whole new production crew.

I know, but if he can make a bootleg (but still good) genius season for Netflix, there's a good chance he bring back great escape in some form.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I'd been avoiding this thread as I slowly watched through The Devil's Plan, but watched the finale today.

Most of the changes from The Genius format are for the worse, IMO.

Having them live in the same "house" was kind of cool. It raised the personal stakes a bit.

Not having a deathmatch meant that it was too easy for a good player to get eliminated by having one poor main match. The penalties for finishing last were severe. I suspect a few of them (Guillaume in particular) would have been able to save themselves in a head-to-head deathmatch.

Semifinal: Math poker? God, what a loving boring slog. As a viewer, it was nearly impossible to tell who had a strong hand without pausing and taking notes, plus we never got to see their hidden cards, despite there being a camera in the table). That absolutely killed any tension or suspense for me. And then someone casually mentioned they'd been playing for SEVEN HOURS. Fuuuuuck. Even if I'd personally been in the game I think I would have tapped out in half that time.

Last bonus game: Kind of a neat idea. ORBIT obviously made a mistake that caused Dong-Joo to be eliminated, but I would have done the same thing in his place, but purposely. They knew how many games each other player had won, so ORBIT throwing the last game guaranteed him a place in the finals. Yes, a little cutthroat, but one person had to be eliminated and Seok-Jin had already secured a spot. Might as well take the W.

Final: Anti-climactic. Basically three board games. And I love board games. But I was hoping for something a little more creative or epic-feeling. ORBIT was the stronger all-around player but too prone to small mistakes when feeling stressed. It definitely cost him the finals.

In the end, two of the strongest players made the final, so I can't complain too much.

Fun season. If they come back for another one, hopefully they'll tweak things a little to keep up the suspense and make it feel less random.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 4, 2023

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

devil's plan season 2 confirmed: https://about.netflix.com/en/news/survival-game-show-the-devils-plan-renewed-for-season-2-after-global-success

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Well Devil’s Plan was kind of a Netflix remake of The Genius, now it looks like JJY is gonna kind of remake The Great Escape for them too!

https://x.com/netflixkcontent/status/1727190223900311962?s=20

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I'm curious to know if these Korean gameshows are doing well at all with the western audience on Netflix. Obviously all of us think they kick rear end, and Netflix has already had great cross over success with Squid Game, but there's definitely Korean cultural things in episode 1 and 2 that they don't shy away from and don't explain that might be confusing for people new Korean reality TV. Either way, I'm all for it, anything that gets more eyes on the incredible stuff that's being made over there. I was telling a friend earlier, Korean gameshows are just operating on an entirely different level, when they send two players to literal prison for 18 hours and then cut between them eating gruel in prison and the other players having a surf and turf feast. Survivor could never.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I get what you're saying but Survivor isn't really lacking in the realm of stuff like sending players to prison and having people eat poorly

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Jump King posted:

I get what you're saying but Survivor isn't really lacking in the realm of stuff like sending players to prison and having people eat poorly

There are literally entire seasons of Survivor dedicated to sending people who lose challenges or votes to things like “Exile Island” or “Outcast Island” where they have limited supplies and are cut off from the rest of the cast.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 24, 2023

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So true bestie

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Okay good point Survivor was the worst possible comparison I could have picked lol

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The Devil's Plan was pretty good! I’m glad there's new Genius.

I assume some of the format changes were to make it a shorter production? If The Genius was cut together this way there'd be, what, 23 episodes a season. And you can cram it into one week if everyone's on site, instead of stretching it out for three months. It's too bad, losing Death Matches is a shame. And it was funny in The Genius when airing would catch up with filming and they'd comment on early episodes at the start of later ones. But, again, sounds pretty crushing getting episodes turned around on that tight a schedule. If this is how it had to be to be to get new Genius, it's worth it.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

The Devil's Plan was my introduction to shows like this and now I'm hooked for a while.
Already watched and enjoyed the first season of Bloody Game and the first season of The Genius and am just about to watch the last episode of S2 of The Genius.

Saw some "it's not that great" type of talk online about The Genius S2 but I've been really enjoying it (ok, it took me a bit of time to warm up to Hongchul - but by the time he left I was sad) and I think the episode 5? reveal of the fake token of immortality is the hardest I've laughed in a long time :allears:

Looking forward to reading old posts in this thread once I'm done with The Genius.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Angryhead posted:

Saw some "it's not that great" type of talk online about The Genius S2 but I've been really enjoying it

I think that's the consensus relative to the other seasons of The Genius. Not sure if it's an absolute sentiment. Either way, it's always ok to enjoy against the consensus!

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I think that's the consensus relative to the other seasons of The Genius. Not sure if it's an absolute sentiment. Either way, it's always ok to enjoy against the consensus!

I would also say that to me it was the feeling at the time when it came out as well. The thread seemed down on some aspects of it, even though it definitely had its moments. There were some weak episodes, especially an episode involving a circle of people seemed like the worst game in terms of spectating that has ever been on the show.

Plus there was the whole alliance and betrayal mess that really left a bad taste in many people's mouth (and was quite controversial if I recall correctly at the time).

It was also my own personally opinion that one of the people who got quite far was just kind of terrible at the game and lucked into things over time, and that wasn't very fun to watch after what I liked about season 1.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Angryhead posted:

The Devil's Plan was my introduction to shows like this and now I'm hooked for a while.
Already watched and enjoyed the first season of Bloody Game and the first season of The Genius and am just about to watch the last episode of S2 of The Genius.

Saw some "it's not that great" type of talk online about The Genius S2 but I've been really enjoying it (ok, it took me a bit of time to warm up to Hongchul - but by the time he left I was sad) and I think the episode 5? reveal of the fake token of immortality is the hardest I've laughed in a long time :allears:

Looking forward to reading old posts in this thread once I'm done with The Genius.

It’s just cause S3 and S4 are so good. S4 is the All-Star season with all best players from the first 3 seasons and totally lives up to the hype.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm in agreement that the format changes for Devil's Plan are mostly for the worst. It's netflix, so of course the episodes are gonna be ungodly long, but this season was almost as long as a season of The Genius while featuring half as many games. I don't care what these people are doing in their spare time or what they're having for breakfast! The second game had like 15 minutes of 4 players rolling dice with no possibility of strategy to determine who was going to come last.

On the surface, not having deathmatches and eliminating multiple people at once is a good idea, I think; one of the bummers of the format is that you don't really get to know the people who get knocked out in episode 1 or 2, so there's some merit to having a couple of episodes with the whole cast and then getting rid of progressively more of them. But with it being determined by pieces, knockouts can happen at random, so you can't really design games around a specific number of players, you can only use ones that are good for like 5-10 players.

I did like the cast, even if a lot of them didn't have much of a chance to acquit themselves; I was pulling for Yeon-woo to do something strategic but she kind of got screwed largely due to circumstances beyond her control. I laughed every time Kyeongrim repeated and clarified the rules of a game as a seasoned TV personality. Seungkwan seemed pretty funny.

I really miss the devotion of fansubbers translating every single text box and overlay; it seemed like there was a lot of information being conveyed that wasn't translated.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Rochallor posted:

I'm in agreement that the format changes for Devil's Plan are mostly for the worst. It's netflix, so of course the episodes are gonna be ungodly long, but this season was almost as long as a season of The Genius while featuring half as many games. I don't care what these people are doing in their spare time or what they're having for breakfast! The second game had like 15 minutes of 4 players rolling dice with no possibility of strategy to determine who was going to come last.

On the surface, not having deathmatches and eliminating multiple people at once is a good idea, I think; one of the bummers of the format is that you don't really get to know the people who get knocked out in episode 1 or 2, so there's some merit to having a couple of episodes with the whole cast and then getting rid of progressively more of them. But with it being determined by pieces, knockouts can happen at random, so you can't really design games around a specific number of players, you can only use ones that are good for like 5-10 players.

I did like the cast, even if a lot of them didn't have much of a chance to acquit themselves; I was pulling for Yeon-woo to do something strategic but she kind of got screwed largely due to circumstances beyond her control. I laughed every time Kyeongrim repeated and clarified the rules of a game as a seasoned TV personality. Seungkwan seemed pretty funny.

I really miss the devotion of fansubbers translating every single text box and overlay; it seemed like there was a lot of information being conveyed that wasn't translated.

It seemed a bit weird that some of the games were carebear hugfests where no one died, and others were guillaume being nuked from orbit or everyone sitting in a room for 7 hours (?!) until all but 3 people died. The format of The Genius where exactly one person gets eliminated per game feels a lot less gratuitously random.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
Apparently Great Escape and Girls' Mystery High School are still being made but without JJY at the helm.

https://twitter.com/nakedbi_bing/status/1741629050098266321/photo/1

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I still put on the character introduction scene at the beginning of S2 of The Genius when I get that itch to re-watch it. It's still amazing.

The rest of that season itself though? It's fine.

edit: I only got as far as the end of S2 of The Escape Game. Once they went "back in time" I kinda tuned out. Did it get any better?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Dancing Peasant posted:

I still put on the character introduction scene at the beginning of S2 of The Genius when I get that itch to re-watch it. It's still amazing.

The rest of that season itself though? It's fine.

edit: I only got as far as the end of S2 of The Escape Game. Once they went "back in time" I kinda tuned out. Did it get any better?
TGE S3+S4 are amazing. GHMC S1 takes place inbetween both of those and then GHMC S2 takes place after TGE S4

it all depends on what made you dislike the show though. S3+ are when baechusquad take over doing the subs and there's a massive leap in quality

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I'll probably give it another go then, see how the lore plays out. I did watch GHMC S1 years ago though, I liked it, so I'll probably watch S2 afterwards.

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker
The last 4 episodes of GHMC S1 is a loving roller coaster I wish I could experience for the first time again.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Anaconda Rifle posted:

The last 4 episodes of GHMC S1 is a loving roller coaster I wish I could experience for the first time again.

Yeah I feel like the story of S1 was superior to S2 just in terms of craziness and escalation. S2 was a fun mystery too but the end felt anticlimactic to me.

Fingers crossed a new writing team can keep up the level of quality for S3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
A neat little tidbit: Apparently Crime Scene has inspired a huge murder game scene in China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_dlxbGUNNQ