Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

GODZILLA
Directed by: Gareth Edwards

Starring:
Elizabeth Olsen
Bryan Cranston
Aaron Taylor-Johnson
Juliette Binoche
Vistor Rasuk

http://www.legendary.com/films/godzilla
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0831387/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_(2014_film)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjKO10hKtYw

What's this about?

quote:

"An epic rebirth to Toho’s iconic Godzilla, this spectacular adventure pits the world’s most famous monster against malevolent creatures who, bolstered by humanity’s scientific arrogance, threaten our very existence" -- Legendary Pictures.
Godzilla is coming back in 2014 with Gareth Edwards, of Monsters fame, on the helm and I am pretty excited. So, what do we know? We know that the movie is apparently going back to the root of Godzilla and making him a force of nature and will also focus more on the human aspect. As we all know this is the second attempt in order to make an American Godzilla movie, unless you include King of the Monsters, and hopefully this will be a bit...better. The cast and crew behind it is pretty strong and everything released thus far is, hopefully, pointing to it being good.

You mentioned other monsters. What are they?
It is known that there will be two monsters that Godzilla fights. One is a centipede like creature and here is a picture of it from the one leaked trailer.

The other one is a mystery at this point in time. Last I heard, there were rumblings that it was a flying creature, but who knows?

Is there any more info about what the movie is going to be like?
Here is an alright interview that actually talks about the general theme of the movie.

quote:

You made the 9/11 comparison. The original Godzilla was from an A-bomb. So is this like a similar tone to that?
It's funny, because giant monsters, genuinely -- you're never ever gonna have to worry about a giant monster ever smashing up your city or attacking your country. But you do have to worry about skyscrapers that can come falling down out of the blue or giant tsunamis can hit. The effects that a giant creature has are effects that we encounter all the time. And so, these monsters always end up being these metaphors for some sort of kind of vengeance of nature or something. And in our film, we definitely embraced the theme of man versus nature. It's something that reoccurs in the movie. And our abuse of the power of nature, and how that can come back to haunt us -- and that's something at the heart of this film. So, my goal was to try to make a monster movie that had some meat on the bone, you know? In terms of it wasn't just mindless spectacle -- you could enjoy it on another level if you wanted to.

DID YOU SAY SOMETHING ABOUT AN ARG?
Nope, but there is one.
http://www.mutoresearch.net/

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

Everything I've seen from this so far is making me more and more excited for it. Never thought I'd be excited for an American Godzilla.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I cannot wait for this. The tone of the movie looks fantastic. Really curious what route they're going with, as far as other monsters go.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

As a casual fan of Godzilla since I was a kid I am beyond hyped for this - I know it might lead to super disappointment but everything so far has been great. Plus nothing can be as bad as Godzilla 98.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Plus nothing can be as bad as Godzilla 98.

Counter argument: Godzilla’s Revenge

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Haha, as cheesy as that is - the Godzilla series is in it's own little bubble where even something like baby Godzilla can just be laughed at and enjoyed on a humourous angle. Godzilla 98 doesn't have anything going for it at all.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fat Lou posted:

Counter argument: Godzilla’s Revenge

Godzilla tried to kill the Kenny.

Totally better than 98.

MMF DOOM
Sep 3, 2007

i  am
the  god  of
hellfire

That trailer appeals to just about everything I've ever liked about large-scale disaster films. It's like the shot of the six legged big-rear end... behemoth thing from The Mist, expanded over a Godzilla skin. I am way, way too excited for this now.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Day One. I am completely in on this on day one.

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
Holy gently caress. I can't believe they gave Gareth Edwards a summer tentpole movie. He is going to kill it. The trailer...so good.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Vintersorg posted:

Haha, as cheesy as that is - the Godzilla series is in it's own little bubble where even something like baby Godzilla can just be laughed at and enjoyed on a humourous angle. Godzilla 98 doesn't have anything going for it at all.

The animated spinoff was fantastic :colbert:

This movie looks awesome as hell, gonna be there opening night. :allears:

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Yea, this is going to be an opening night flick for me. Love the tone of the trailer..pretty excited for this.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Godzilla is so big that after seeing Godzilla diagonally it takes several seconds of falling at terminal velocity before the halo jumper is looking at Godzilla at eye level. That's wonderful.

Any milnuts able to identify the bomb at 1:35?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm a sucker for monster movies as long as they have a good budget and the effects are top of the line. If I get to gawk at giant monsters you can just forget the story or the characters, you already have my money. Not that Bryan Cranston's presence won't be a gigantic bonus!

edit: pun not intended believe it or not

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I liked the roar in the leaked trailer from before more than the one in this official one. Trailer is still awesome though.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

I didn't realise that they were just calling it Godzilla. If America gets to make another Godzilla movie after this then I hope that they also call it Godzilla.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Tim Jong-un posted:

I liked the roar in the leaked trailer from before more than the one in this official one. Trailer is still awesome though.

Same roar. I just played them back to back.

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
After Final Wars I was afraid they weren't going to make anymore Godzilla films, so I'm very excited that this is finally happening. The last time I was so pumped up over a Godzilla movie was the 1998 film. As we all know how that one turned out, I am really hoping this one will be as good as it looks.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The animated spinoff was fantastic :colbert:

This movie looks awesome as hell, gonna be there opening night. :allears:

Because they gave him back the atomic fire breath and he was kicking the crap out of everything instead of running in terror.

So like this movie seems to be doing.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Any speculation as to why people would be parachuting onto Godzilla? I hope they go inside of him or something.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Fat Lou posted:

Same roar. I just played them back to back.

The honking at the end of the roar is definitely not. No idea what you listened to if you didnt hear that.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I really hope the first scene featuring the atomic fire breath is a fantastic as I can imagine it.

"It's...it's starting to glow blue. I wonder wha---AHHHHHHH OHMY GAWWWWDDD AHDLKFHA!!"

im gay posted:

Any speculation as to why people would be parachuting onto Godzilla? I hope they go inside of him or something.

Probably recon or extraction.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

The teaser trailer was loving incredible and has me all kinds of excited for this. That cast list is great too, and I can't wait to see more of that centipede creature. This looks wayyyyyyy better than Godzilla '98, and one that I'm definitely going to see in IMAX at midnight the day it comes out.

im gay posted:

Now that would be interesting!

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

im gay posted:

To paint him with a laser for that big weapon that everyone was standing around?

So ready for this. The guy focusing on the moving object as it came into focus (Godzilla) while dropping was surreal and horrifying.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Today I learned that the creepy choir from 2001 has a name:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1lcZM0MNek

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

Did anyone download the trailer that had Oppenheimer talking over it? It's got the original more mechanical sounding roar on it but I cant find it anywhere.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Both the teaser and trailer are really good, and I kinda hope the final movie is very sparse with actually showing Godzilla. I also hope to be pretty much shook out of my chair by the soundtrack.

edit: the parachuting makes me think maybe a desperate attempt to plant explosives on Godzilla's body? Though that would be a suicide mission, because even if you landed on him, you'd never get off him alive.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Well they're landing near him instead of on him, so I assume that's not the plan.

I would think they'd start flares from the ground instead of so high up (shrug)

Who knows.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
That teaser trailer was pretty underwhelming IMO. You could barely see anything as they were falling from the plane it was so dark. Perhaps in order to hide some of the bad CGI?

Also, apparently Godzilla is going to be fighting other monsters in this film, which I find pretty stupid because they're obviously going have Godzilla make a mutual agreement to ally with the military here. Godzilla is supposed to be a villain, not a vigilante. I guess I'll be rooting for the giant centipedes.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

Devout Christian posted:

That teaser trailer was pretty underwhelming IMO. You could barely see anything as they were falling from the plane it was so dark. Perhaps in order to hide some of the bad CGI?

Also, apparently Godzilla is going to be fighting other monsters in this film, which I find pretty stupid because they're obviously going have Godzilla make a mutual agreement to ally with the military here. Godzilla is supposed to be a villain, not a vigilante. I guess I'll be rooting for the giant centipedes.

Except for all those movies where Godzilla isnt a villain.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

I'm pretty sure that every frame of that trailer had more artistry and atmosphere than the entirety of Roland Emerich's POS. Very cool.

The thing is, a rampaging giant monster would be almost incalculably terrifying in real life, but the only one in a movie that ever put any fear in me was the first Godzilla. The trailer has shots that put me in the mind of Goya's painting The Colossus, which has always given me chills for some reason.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Tim Jong-un posted:

Did anyone download the trailer that had Oppenheimer talking over it? It's got the original more mechanical sounding roar on it but I cant find it anywhere.

Comiccon teaser is the first one and the new one is the second one. They are the exact same outside of some echoing.

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

Fat Lou posted:

Comiccon teaser is the first one and the new one is the second one. They are the exact same outside of some echoing.

That echoing is exactly what im talking about. The first one sounded more mechanical with just the separate honks on the end but they added in the gurgle to make it sound more organic.

E: I liked Roar Honk Honk better than Roar Honk gurgle Honk is what im saying.

Tim Jong-un fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 10, 2013

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Devout Christian posted:

:confused: I remember Godzilla being some sort of hero in a lot of his movies, fighting monsters and wrecking the city in the process.

Edit: VV I vote for dumb lazy troll.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 10, 2013

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Devout Christian is either A) lazy trolling or B) dumb

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Devout Christian posted:

I was kind of frustrated by it too. The atmosphere of the video is amazing, it looks like it's going to be a great film, but I would have loved a better look at Godzilla!

Devout Christian posted:

Not necessarily! I'm hoping for (and it looks like we'll be getting) a GMK type situation where he battles other monsters, but more for his own benefit than out of any desire to protect humanity.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm pretty sure that every frame of that trailer had more artistry and atmosphere than the entirety of Roland Emerich's POS. Very cool.

The thing is, a rampaging giant monster would be almost incalculably terrifying in real life, but the only one in a movie that ever put any fear in me was the first Godzilla. The trailer has shots that put me in the mind of Goya's painting The Colossus, which has always given me chills for some reason.

Godzilla 1984 is actually a pretty good effort at this, while mixing in complex characters and complex government issues.

Basically Godzilla 1984 is the second best Godzilla movie ever, is what I'm saying. Here's hoping this surpasses it.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Hype thrusters activate. First Pacific rim, now Zilla, bring on the summer monster movies

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Desperado Bones posted:

:confused: I remember Godzilla being some sort of hero in a lot of his movies, fighting monsters and wrecking the city in the process.

Specifically, Godzilla first became a straight-up hero in 1964's 'Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster' after Mothra convinced him to become a Christian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Specifically, Godzilla first became a straight-up hero in 1964's 'Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster' after Mothra convinced him to become a Christian.

Thank you for coming to this thread. I am excited about your explanation about this.

• Locked thread