Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

I have pretty low standards for this movie to be satisfying, and so far it seems like they're hitting them.

Godzilla is a pretty simple character, and as long as a Godzilla movie sticks to that it'll be fine. Godzilla 98 tried to redefine what Godzilla is and it failed miserably. A lot of Toho's movies are almost embarrassingly goofy, but they still work because they at least get Godzilla right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Tim Jong-un posted:

That echoing is exactly what im talking about. The first one sounded more mechanical with just the separate honks on the end but they added in the gurgle to make it sound more organic.

E: I liked Roar Honk Honk better than Roar Honk gurgle Honk is what im saying.

We already have an alien/monster language like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ey_AWgtqt8

Beeez
May 28, 2012
I know no one asked, but I prefer the new roar more. The one from the leaked trailer seemed too disconnected.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Specifically, Godzilla first became a straight-up hero in 1964's 'Ghidorah, The Three-Headed Monster' after Mothra convinced him to become a Christian.

We believe in Mothra who was born of the egg, suffered and died at the hands of Battra was cocooned and on the third day rose again to ascend to the skies.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

This actually sounded cool until I heard about Gareth Edwards whos previous work was the gutter trash Monsters

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xguard86 posted:

We believe in Mothra who was born of the egg, suffered and died at the hands of Battra was cocooned and on the third day rose again to ascend to the skies.

There's a strong association between giant monster films and Christianity. The original 1961 Mothra film uses (obviously) moth imagery to represent the death and resurrection of Christ. Here's a shot from the end of the film:

The same image of the sun glowing behind a cross is the symbol the Infant islanders use to represent Mothra. She's overtly Kaiju Jesus. Ghidorah, on the other hand, is a reference to the dragon of Revelation (the plot of his film centers around a doomsday prophecy). With that all established, the imagery of Godzilla teaming with Mothra to become a guardian of the universe is pretty straightforward.

The 1990s Gamera, Guardian Of The Universe films essentially combine Godzilla and Mothra into a single character. In Gamera 2, they go so far as to have the 'メ' in his name form a massive black cross in the opening credits. Then he literally fights a monster called Legion. The point of both Gamera and Godzilla is that these Christ-monsters are terrifying iconoclasts. They're revolutionaries/terrorists, like Superman in Man of Steel - tearing the city apart to defeat the evil within. The entirety of Gamera 3 is told from the point of view of the villain, a girl trying to get revenge for one such 'terror attack' - before realizing that Gamera was justified. The message: love thy enemy.

Godzilla being the last of the dinosaurs, then, is basically the same imagery as Superman being the 'Last Son of Krypton'. He must prevent the apocalypse that destroyed his world from happening again.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

zVxTeflon posted:

This actually sounded cool until I heard about Gareth Edwards whos previous work was the gutter trash Monsters

If you keep in mind "Monsters" was a 500,000 dollar film with hardly any cast, crew, and also all it's effects were done by Edwards himself. By those standards it's a pretty decent movie for something made with less money then a typical Asylum film.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I'm kind of stunned that I can't find the original Oppenheimer trailer online anywhere. Yeah, WB pulled it, but this is the internet we're talking about...

And also, I liked Monsters.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga
Why did they pull the Oppenheimer trailer? It's one of the best I've ever seen.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

You can't find the Oppenheimer trailer hosted on the web because they're being highly-vigilant with takedown notices. You would have to go looking for it, I imagine, on a distribution system immune to such things.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

zVxTeflon posted:

I disagree with you, but why do you think it was gutter trash?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Godzilla being the last of the dinosaurs, then, is basically the same imagery as Superman being the 'Last Son of Krypton'. He must prevent the apocalypse that destroyed his world from happening again.

Its analysis like this that makes me wish the 'Primer' part of the last topic didn't die quietly. Maybe if I have time after the holidays I'll do a proper retrospective so we can have more of this.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
A friend of mine linked me the new teaser trailer. At first, from the title, I thought he was just showing me an old trailer for the first American Godzilla, but the rest played out. I made an offhand comment that I was cautiously optimistic, because it seemed like it might be going for the bleaker, post-nuclear horror aspect that makes the original Godzilla one of my favorite movies.

Then he linked me the other trailer. And the Oppenheimer quote started.

:pcgaming: Moving to HYPECON 1 :pcgaming:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
This trailer put me at no risk of dying in ecstasy. The ComicCon teaser had great mood and buildup to the final reveal but this was just an assemblage of scenes with no rhythm or shape to speak of.

I wouldn't say it's got me worried, exactly – they're obviously pushing a doomy, we're-hosed tone for the thing and that's A-OK by me – but as an official first look it's kind of underwhelming.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sir Kodiak posted:

You can't find the Oppenheimer trailer hosted on the web because they're being highly-vigilant with takedown notices. You would have to go looking for it, I imagine, on a distribution system immune to such things.

Which is too bad because it's a great trailer.

I hope that we get to see a modernized Hedorah. It was always my favourite Kaiju.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I liked the way you could tell how Godzilla was moving from how the dust and smoke moved, even when he wasn't visible. More expressive than just a blank wall of fog.

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

Godzilla is so big that after seeing Godzilla diagonally it takes several seconds of falling at terminal velocity before the halo jumper is looking at Godzilla at eye level. That's wonderful.

Any milnuts able to identify the bomb at 1:35?

Looks kind of like a MOAB.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBU-43/B_Massive_Ordnance_Air_Blast_bomb

Would make sense to try to kill a monster without having a use an actual nuke and radiate a city. Though you could also argue that splattering godzilla in the middle of a city would probably release some radiation anyway.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The bomb seems like it has a giant dent with a big scratch going along the right side.

edit: I am curious what Japanese reactions are to this new trailer. There were a lot of sarcastic comments about the leaked appearance of the new Godzilla:
http://kotaku.com/what-do-some-japanese-think-of-the-new-godzilla-1299083886

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 11, 2013

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Improbable Lobster posted:

Which is too bad because it's a great trailer.

I hope that we get to see a modernized Hedorah. It was always my favourite Kaiju.

Hedorah was a pretty boss villain, but all the human bits had so many fuckin' weird moments. Like the dance club. For those of you who didn't think the '70s were weird enough, we present...the Japanese '70s.

edit: I hope that bomb is an early look at the Oxygen Destroyer.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You can tell this is going to be a 'real' Godzilla movie because the poster art is really good.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

zVxTeflon posted:

Look at how wrong you are. Why don't you bring up some reasons

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sir Kodiak posted:

You can watch it here, unless there's a longer one.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I'm going to disagree with the masses and say this new trailer is a better attention grabber. They both share the 2001 music, which is great, and the Oppenheimer stuff in the teaser was a nice bit, but the HALO jump visuals and that moment where Godzilla comes into view for just a few seconds while that creepy rear end music is playing is fantastic and ominous as hell.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Count me in on the group that liked the leaked trailer better. The pacing felt off in this one a touch and I loved the Oppenheimer reading way better than the military general's generic "we've never dealt with something like this before" line.

Still pumped though. After super smart apes from Rise of the planet of the apes, tresspasser from pacific rim, and now goddamn Godzilla, San Francisco is getting it's poo poo wrecked on a yearly basis

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sir Kodiak posted:

I liked the way you could tell how Godzilla was moving from how the dust and smoke moved, even when he wasn't visible. More expressive than just a blank wall of fog.

Not only that, the clouds themselves seem to echo Godzilla's shape.

Look at the "spikes" and "tail"-shaped clouds in the center there. Unlike the Pacific Rim monsters, this Godzilla truly IS the revenge of nature.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
The trailer is really awesome but that teaser might be the absolute best teaser trailer I've seen in a long rear end time. My only complaint is that it seems like the first roar should happen right after the "Now I am become Death" line.

I was pumped for this before, but now I'm in on Day 1.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Febreeze posted:

Count me in on the group that liked the leaked trailer better. The pacing felt off in this one a touch and I loved the Oppenheimer reading way better than the military general's generic "we've never dealt with something like this before" line.

Still pumped though. After super smart apes from Rise of the planet of the apes, tresspasser from pacific rim, and now goddamn Godzilla, San Francisco is getting it's poo poo wrecked on a yearly basis

I was sort of surprised when it cut to black after the HALO drop and the roar didn't play because that's what they did after the Oppenheimer line in the leaked one.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So, playing around with the ARG, and you get some interesting responses if you punch in character names from IMDB. Cranston's character "Joe Brody" yields:

UNARCHIVING PERFORMANCE RECORD FOR BRODY, JOSEPH. ONE MOMENT...

[UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS REQUEST] RECORD [BRODYX12F] HAS BEEN FLAGGED BY MONARCH YOU WILL BE
NOTIFIED IF THIS FILE BECOMES DECLASSIFIED. IF YOU THINK THIS HAS BEEN IMPLEMENTED IN ERROR, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SECURITY ADMINISTRATOR.

Also, the response for Jet Jaguar is loving brilliant.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Corek posted:

Not only that, the clouds themselves seem to echo Godzilla's shape.

Look at the "spikes" and "tail"-shaped clouds in the center there. Unlike the Pacific Rim monsters, this Godzilla truly IS the revenge of nature.

Yeah, I remember a while back in the Primer thread some people were expressing that they didn't really like the revenge of nature interpretation of Godzilla, but I gotta say it's one of my favorite interpretations of Godzilla when it's not done in too heavy-handed a way. What we've seen so far has reflected that idea really well, both with Godzilla himself and the Muto stuff.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So, playing around with the ARG, and you get some interesting responses if you punch in character names from IMDB. Cranston's character "Joe Brody" yields:

[UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS REQUEST] RECORD [BRODYX12F] HAS BEEN FLAGGED BY MONARCH YOU WILL BE
NOTIFIED IF THIS FILE BECOMES DECLASSIFIED. IF YOU THINK THIS HAS BEEN IMPLEMENTED IN ERROR, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR SECURITY ADMINISTRATOR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-CvNxRs5Zs

electricsugar
Jan 21, 2008

Tum again?
Yeah looks good and all but will this one have a Puff Daddy/Jimmy Page theme song?

electricsugar fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 11, 2013

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

electricsugar posted:

Yeah looks good and all but will this one have a Puff Daddy/Jimmy Page theme song?

That was the best part of 'zilla 98.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Ishiro Hoda brings you "DNA IDENTIFIED"

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I'm unsure about something, is this one set in Japan or the US? I mean, 95% of the cast listing is American names with the exception of Ken Watanabe's character Serizawa.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Well that's clearly Seattle in the trailer.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Beeez posted:

Yeah, I remember a while back in the Primer thread some people were expressing that they didn't really like the revenge of nature interpretation of Godzilla, but I gotta say it's one of my favorite interpretations of Godzilla when it's not done in too heavy-handed a way. What we've seen so far has reflected that idea really well, both with Godzilla himself and the Muto stuff.

I find the storm imagery really powerful because it evokes an image of the big G as a force of nature. Not necessarily the revenge of nature, just this incredible force of destruction that's beyond the comprehension of a human observer. It's a bit like watching storm chaser footage of some of these massive tornadoes over the last few years, you can barely make out the shape of it because it's shrouded in this maelstrom of rain and debris. I got the same feeling when I saw the comic-con teaser footage, you can barely make out anything in the smoke and haze and you just see this huge shape shifting inside it and then you finally get a glimpse and it's just....:stare:

The HALO jump captures it with the descent through the clouds but for whatever reason it doesn't have as big of an impact on me as the comic-con teaser did. The last few seconds when you can actually see Godzilla are almost too quiet, you'd think a creature the size of a skyscraper stomping around would be making some pretty thunderous sounds with every step.

Vatek fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 11, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Wow, some of the shots in that trailer were downright breathtaking. That halo jump sequence :stare: Really beautiful stuff. I didn't need to be sold on seeing this, because it's loving Godzilla, but drat if that isn't a well made trailer. Good poo poo.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

morestuff posted:

You can watch it here, unless there's a longer one.

God drat this poo poo gives me such wonderful chills. :munch:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Vatek posted:

I find the storm imagery really powerful because it evokes an image of the big G as a force of nature. Not necessarily the revenge of nature, just this incredible force of destruction that's beyond the comprehension of a human observer. It's a bit like watching storm chaser footage of some of these massive tornadoes over the last few years, you can barely make out the shape of it because it's shrouded in this maelstrom of rain and debris. I got the same feeling when I saw the comic-con teaser footage, you can barely make out anything in the smoke and haze and you just see this huge shape shifting inside it and then you finally get a glimpse and it's just....:stare:

The HALO jump captures it with the descent through the clouds but for whatever reason it doesn't have as big of an impact on me as the comic-con teaser did. The last few seconds when you can actually see Godzilla are almost too quiet, you'd think a creature the size of a skyscraper stomping around would be making some pretty thunderous sounds with every step.

Well, it is sort of a Point-Of-View shot from the eyes of the jumper, so any noise that Big G is making is more than likely muffled by the sound of freefall.

E:

The Nozzle posted:

I don't think the Golden Gate Bridge is in Seattle :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Nozzle posted:

Vancouver.

• Locked thread