Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

omeg posted:

Huh, wasn't getting pledge link emails then remembered that I've changed my KS email because the original one's spam filter somehow didn't like KS. Now, is the "Digital Download of World Almanac" ($15 addon) included in a full digital tier of $50 or is it something else?

It should have been. I contacted them about that issue already, as I nearly ended up buying it again, and I'm pretty sure lots of people will have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Really enjoyed the new trailer, sorted out the backer pledges I had and now back to waiting... :smith:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Scorchy posted:

I just have bad memories of NWN2 where they did the 'one-of-each-class' thing and it ended up really suffering as a result. There were some decent concepts in there like I don't know, Qara or Bishop, that got lost in the shuffle. They had a more focused tact with MotB and those companions were so much deeper and more rad as a result. PST too, not a lot of companions, but each was actually memorable. I feel the 8 they have right now is a good number.

Yeah, absolutely this. Most of NWN2s companions were pretty terrible. And NWN2 didn't even have one of each class. Really, if release is gonna get delayed for anything, I'd rather see the existing companions be given more content than have more companions added. And I don't necessarily see every class not being represented as a companion as a problem. It kinda gives you incentive to play one of those classes yourself.

Baldur's Gate, too, had an absolute ton of companions, but none of them were particularly good compared to what we've seen in more recent RPGs.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I have spent the last 15 minutes failing captcha after captcha trying to create an account on the website. No idea what is up, I've been typing in the correct letters. Anyone else have this issue?

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Yo, that trailer has me pumped.
One thing: Please double the gibs and make some additional gibs require more inertia to overcome, so they travel less distance. They should also trail particles like blood along their path. Think the kind of brutal "deconstruction" units from Myth suffer when dieing from a dwarven molotov. More blood, more! :black101:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mymla posted:

Yeah, absolutely this. Most of NWN2s companions were pretty terrible. And NWN2 didn't even have one of each class. Really, if release is gonna get delayed for anything, I'd rather see the existing companions be given more content than have more companions added. And I don't necessarily see every class not being represented as a companion as a problem. It kinda gives you incentive to play one of those classes yourself.

Baldur's Gate, too, had an absolute ton of companions, but none of them were particularly good compared to what we've seen in more recent RPGs.
This. I want to be the party members to be well-written characters, that's part of the reason I pledged and why I don't want to use the Adventurer's Hall at all.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 11, 2013

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Oh wow, that looked amazing. One of my most anticipated games ever (and most expensive -_-).

The survey's up on the backer site for those who can design an NPC.

Lobst
Mar 28, 2002

~HUG LIFE~

Smiling Knight posted:

I have spent the last 15 minutes failing captcha after captcha trying to create an account on the website. No idea what is up, I've been typing in the correct letters. Anyone else have this issue?

It's happening to me too, and I usually don't have a problem with these.

Hurry up Obsidian, I need your website to validate my existence! :argh:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Anyone else do a slacker backer? Any luck with getting pledge confirmation?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Smiling Knight posted:

Captchas are loving horrible and I hate them.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Smiling Knight posted:

Yeah it's broken for me at the moment.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Smiling Knight posted:

I went to the Obsidian forums and signed up. The captcha actually worked there, and it had me then logged in oth the pillars of eternity site, though it is a blank page when I click "manage pledges" so it's still messed up.

edit: I see by the trailer that someone actually went back and fixed the map's rivers, though the Eternity website still has the old one.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
Watching the trailer again I kinda hope that the translation of the song is a really blatant "buy more Ovaltine" style cheesy jingle.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm at work so I haven't had a chance to look at the website itself yet, but I have a quick question:

What's the deadline for managing pledges and adding add-on goodies? Depending on how the next couple months pan out financially, I want to add some additional things to my pledge, but I'm not sure exactly when I'll be able to make a final call on how much I can spend.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Llyranor posted:

Oh wow, that looked amazing. One of my most anticipated games ever (and most expensive -_-).

The survey's up on the backer site for those who can design an NPC.

Mind copypastin'/screenshotting the form? Curious to see what the prompt questions are.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Accordion Man posted:

This. I want to be the party members to be well-written characters, that's part of the reason I pledged and why I don't want to use the Adventurer's Hall at all.

Why do you think that extra companions they're explicitly asking for extra money for would have any effect on the quality of the extant companions?

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

jivjov posted:

I'm at work so I haven't had a chance to look at the website itself yet, but I have a quick question:

What's the deadline for managing pledges and adding add-on goodies? Depending on how the next couple months pan out financially, I want to add some additional things to my pledge, but I'm not sure exactly when I'll be able to make a final call on how much I can spend.

Yeah I was wondering about this too, as I accidently confirmed my kickstarter amount for 20.00, because I would've rather held out until I could add the initial amount towards another tier or add-on.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Scorchy posted:

I just have bad memories of NWN2 where they did the 'one-of-each-class' thing and it ended up really suffering as a result.
That's why they would have to be backed to be done at all. MotB and PS:T were not games that emphasized tactical combat. PE is, which is why I think there's a more compelling motivation to actually have all classes represented. While the difference between 8 and 11 companions is not trivial, it's nothing like the 26 in BG or 17 in BG2.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

coffeetable posted:

Why do you think that extra companions they're explicitly asking for extra money for would have any effect on the quality of the extant companions?

Time spent adding more companions could always be spent on the existing ones. Somehow I doubt you're ever going to get to a point with your companions where you go "Welp, this roster of characters is literally perfect, no quest to tweak, no party banter to add.".
Adding characters also add exponentially to the workload if you want things like banter between the different NPCs. Which you probably do want.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A MASSIVE ARTISTIC SHITLORD ABOUT VIDEO GAMES.

I AM A TREMENDOUS FIRETRUCK AND MY BURGERS ARE OUT OF CONTROL

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
11 Companions is a lot of work. How many writers do you currently have on staff to do that? You've got Eric, Chris, Yourself ... and maybe Carrie? Or would you engage someone from the South Park team who did a New Vegas companion, once that Project is over.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Mymla posted:

Time spent adding more companions could always be spent on the existing ones. Somehow I doubt you're ever going to get to a point with your companions where you go "Welp, this roster of characters is literally perfect, no quest to tweak, no party banter to add.".
Adding characters also add exponentially to the workload if you want things like banter between the different NPCs. Which you probably do want.
If only there was the possibility of some additional pot of resources that could be used to pay for the additional workload.

You're creating a false dichotomy here. Do you think the OEI devs would be so eager to add new companions if they thought they'd compromise the quality of the first eight?

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 11, 2013

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Mymla posted:

That only creates exponential growth to party banter, which is a small set of a character's dialogue nodes.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
I think the main thing to me regarding party members is that we get as many of them available from early on before you get caught in a Jaheira-Minsc-Imoen situation where you don't want to ditch your pals for the new guys coming into the party.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

rope kid, hire me as a writer and i will make Sepherioth Goku Nightblade canon.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Hank Morgan posted:

I think the main thing to me regarding party members is that we get as many of them available from early on before you get caught in a Jaheira-Minsc-Imoen situation where you don't want to ditch your pals for the new guys coming into the party.

I'm hoping that they get some really memorable ones in there. So we can finally add more characters to the nostalgia tier ones like Minsc or Jan (though maybe it might be just me for Jan).

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Has it been mentioned anywhere what the sixth attribute is? The interviews mention strength, constitution, dexterity, intellect and resolve, but the website claims there's one more.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Perception.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

:spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin::spergin:
Was just about to say the accuracy one, lol.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
On the real, rope kid, I'll cast my vote on the Obsidian forums but I would love if you guys put additional funds into creating more content, features, and tweaks not just companions alone.

One thing that I saw after Skyrim was released were the Bethesda game jam videos - where Bethsoft basically said "ok guys do whatever you want" to the Skyrim team, and they ended up with these cool features, some of which made it into the game later, but others that didn't. Basically, Obsidian Game Jam and let me back more based on that kind of stuff.

Just my :10bux: ps the game looks sick as hell ~~~

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

coffeetable posted:

If only there was the possibility of some additional pot of resources that could be used to pay for the additional workload.

You're creating a false dichotomy here. Do you think the OEI devs would be so eager to add new companions if they thought they'd compromise the quality of the first eight?
I don't want to give a false impression: certainly we debate (and continue to debate) the idea of adding more companions. They really can't be done at all without additional funding, which is the bottom line. The question isn't "Would you like more companions at the cost of the quality of current companions?" The question is, "Would you like more companions at the cost of $$$$$$ which would be necessary to make them good companions?"

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I guess one question is, how integral are the companion's classes to their design? Would it be possible to have the same companion with two or three different classes available, for the player to choose from? I'm thinking along the line of BG2's level 1 NPC mod, which allows complete respeccing of each companion. To integrate such a thing smoothly might be more trouble than it's worth though; Having a cleric NPC also available as a particularly devout fighter or paladin shouldn't be too much trouble; but when the character concept is 'psychic detective cypher', alternative classes are a problem.

Doing this right for each character proably wouldn't be significantly easier (or cheaper) than designing a few new NPCs instead...

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 11, 2013

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

rope kid posted:

I don't want to give a false impression: certainly we debate (and continue to debate) the idea of adding more companions. They really can't be done at all without additional funding, which is the bottom line. The question isn't "Would you like more companions at the cost of the quality of current companions?" The question is, "Would you like more companions at the cost of $$$$$$ which would be necessary to make them good companions?"

Does adding something like this, even if budgeted for on the schedule and monetarily, extend the time to perform a complete iteration or whatever the dev term is where you run through everything and could that cause an appreciable decrease in connectivity/reactivity/subtle detail or is that impossible to predict?

Also the video looks awesome and I want to manage my pledge!!! Good OP, too.

Sensuki
Dec 29, 2012

I may be wrong here but Wilderness Area = More money to pay for outsourcing as currently the Wilderness Areas are being outsourced (and of course, PE area designer time & paintover).

Companions = $$$$$$ for another writer (in-house or ?)

Don't think it would be taking a huge chip out of any of the other resources.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I was able to get my profile tied to my pledge just now :sicknasty:

rope kid posted:

The question is, "Would you like more companions at the cost of $$$$$$ which would be necessary to make them good companions?"

As long as they are good companions :colbert:

After seeing the in game footage I'll throw more money at you guys for whatever. I love the zoom level too. Geekin' hard over dis game

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

coffeetable posted:

Has it been mentioned anywhere what the sixth attribute is? The interviews mention strength, constitution, dexterity, intellect and resolve, but the website claims there's one more.
If they called it Endurance instead of Constitution the acronym could be Spider.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
So, I am so happy that the website is up and the trailer looks awesome. So when is my custom troll portrait coming? :haw:

Honestly, no rush, I am happy to wait. And I am happy to throw more money at you guys...

With regard to the stretch goal, I voted "yes" for it. However, rope kid, is it possible to treat these additions as more "expansions"? That way we won't have the problem of people worrying about the stretch goals delaying the game.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

2house2fly posted:

If they called it Endurance instead of Constitution the acronym could be Spider.
Obsidian please hire this man.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
We already have bipedal arachnillithids, we do not need any more spider in this game.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

No Charisma stat? Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

We already have bipedal arachnillithids, we do not need any more spider in this game.

Hope there is a flamethrower.

• Locked thread