Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

All of the Abilities and Talents that convert a percentage of Grazes to Hits, Hits to Crits, Crits to Hits, etc. operate the same way. When the first result occurs through the modified "die roll", the game does a second check to see if that result is converted. E.g., if 20% of Grazes are converted to Hits, the game will check every time a Graze is rolled. However, it only shows up in the log if it actually converts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I'm happy with how the almanac turned out. It's great if you need planting dates for crops (some fictitious) using Eora's 16 month calendar.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The almanac is presented as an in-world document written by one author and heavily supplemented, edited, and annotated by three bickering pseudepigraphal scribes of The Hand Occult over the decades since the original's release. Compared to the collector's book, it has a more "grab bag" feeling to its content, including stories, riddles, and personal opinions.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

:getin: Oh I love stuff like this. Is it written as an interplay of schools of thought or more just straight-up characters that disagree?
Just petty people writing in the margins, mostly.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

zedprime posted:

Is it wrong to assume the team had recently read "S" before getting started on this feature?
I actually don't know what "S" is. :confused:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Clever Spambot posted:

I want to say they've said the plan is to give them all unique icons but i cant find any quotes about it.
Yeah, all crafting items, gems, etc. will have their own icons.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

prometheus12345 posted:

What is with the passive talents/abilities, will they also get their own icon?
Passive Talents either have class-specific or general icons. You only ever see them on the selection screen. We're going to be organizing the Talents list with tabs so it's easier to sort them.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Jastiger posted:

Serious question. Can any creature of any size be gibbed, i.e. crit hitting a dragon and gibbing it? A pre order hangs in the balance to this question.
Any creature has the ability to be gibbed, but certain creatures (e.g. spirits) don't have gib models because it would look weird. Some creatures need to have custom gibs made to match their appearance or it's extra goofy. The core game logic just checks to see if the attack that killed them was a Crit and if they have gib models. If both are true, they will spawn gibs.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

One of our programmers dumped a bunch of money into his stronghold to up the Prestige but neglected all of the hirelings and other things that increased Security. Almost immediately, huge amounts of his tax income were being swiped by bandits and he suffered brutal attacks. Meanwhile, one of our producers upper her Security but hired scumbags that lowered the stronghold's Prestige to negative numbers, so it's secure, but all she gets are scumbag visitors. Good times.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's not central to the plot like Crossroad Keep is in NWN2. If you don't invest in it, it pretty much chills out in the background and is unobtrusive. If you start investing in it, it becomes much more involved and requires more management. The UI has a dedicated stronghold interface that can be accessed from anywhere in the game. Only events like attacks require your presence, and even in those circumstances you can just tell your hirelings to handle it for you if you're willing to accept some losses (kind of like Mount & Blade: Warband).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

rope kid, are there gonna be encounters in this game where there's a lot more enemies than the party? Some of the BB encounters (on Hard) have like groups of 7 spiders of different types, and the Menpwgra/Forest Lurker encounter in the Dyrford Crossing got beefed up to have some Pwgras as well. Although the Icewind Dale games in particular had some nice encounters with 10+ enemies, some of those were really fun, such as the Drow encounter in the Dorn's Deep Tombs.
Yes, especially on Hard you should see a good number of enemies > party members. We already have those types of encounters in certain areas and I've been encouraging the designers to do that more often. I don't want the game to feel like it relies on endless hordes, but there's a different tactical challenge from dealing with 8-10 guys than 3-4.

quote:

btw about a year ago you mentioned there was an encounter in the vertical slice that could only be beaten by some of the members of the team. Is that encounter in the BB? I know that we don't have access to at least two of the VS areas though (such as the Valley of Hector).
The encounter with Korgrak used to be much more difficult, but honestly the game also used to be much more difficult to play overall.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I think this came up at some point in the past, but hanging and decapitation (via sword or axe) are common when it's being handled by "the state". In rural parts of Dyrwood it's usually hanging or being beaten to death by a mob.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Gyshall posted:

Will there be examples of this in game?
If you missed the twitch.tv stream, Gilded Vale features a tree of hanging people and at least one attempt by a small mob to beat the poo poo out of an Aedyran.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I don't think characters get stuck inside of each other anymore (at least not that I've seen), but they do have problems with getting jammed up together.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Demiurge4 posted:

If you go with feats why not remove dialogue dice rolls entirely and have various grades of a skill. So you could have different lore skills for different fields, such as arcane(expert), history(trained) and a number of other skills that carry into that.
We don't use die rolls, just thresholds, but the problem with a really expansive skill (or Talent) list is frequency of use, especially if we're populating those instances retroactively with content we've already written.

Sensuki posted:

Adventurers spawn inside the PC when you create them.
That's weird. I was creating adventures today to do testing and I never saw that. A bunch of people made adventurers during the play week and no one reported that happening.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The relative values of Might and Accuracy are largely dependent on the content you're dealing with. Remember that Accuracy targets all defenses and that the Backer Beta shows a segment of content in a vacuum. If you are regularly attacking into defenses that exceed your Accuracy, then yes, you need every point of Accuracy you can get. You have three primary avenues of dealing with a defense that exceeds Accuracy: increase your own Accuracy, decrease the target defense (many afflictions do this), or switch the defense you are targeting (easiest for casters). IME, it is not too hard to get an Accuracy vs. defense advantage. Might also has to be understood in the context of Damage Threshold and Damage Reduction. DR values tend to be very low, but DT can easily swallow up the lion's share of damage output. You can make Crits more frequent by increasing Accuracy if you already have an advantage, but if you've dumped Might, you're trying for Crits just to get your damage output high enough to deal with moderate to high DT.

In the absence of content (i.e., specific scenarios), Might and Accuracy cannot be objectively compared. The point of our system has never been to achieve perfect balance. I've stated this so many times I don't think I could go back and count them all. The point has always been to make a player feel that if they build an Attribute array in a certain way for their character, they can get something good out of it. I don't think the vast, vast majority of players care at all if, in the final tally, a point of Might gives them a 6.5% greater damage output when compared to all attacks at target level creature throughout the game vs. a point of Perception -- or vice-versa. But again, that final tally for Might vs. Perception largely depends on what content you're doing, with what characters/equipment, and how you choose to deal with various Accuracy vs. defense or damage vs. DT shortfalls.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah, that's pretty much the intention for the system. In our play week, people seemed to like investing in either/both Might and Perception.

Perception also increases range for spells. Many of the support-oriented spells (especially on the priest) have very limited base range.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's pretty difficult to balance skill options in a class- and party-based game (as evidenced by how much D&D's various editions and their knock-offs struggle with it). For personal benefits, skills either need to feed into existing systems (which can make balancing difficult) or they need to have a special function within a niche. The latter is how the skills work currently. Athletics interacts with Fatigue, Lore (now) interacts with scrolls, Survival interacts with consumables, and Stealth and Mechanics have their own subsystems. Athletics is the only one that exists to offset a penalty. I need to think about it some more, but it's definitely the odd one in the current lineup.

Crafting and enchantment are much, much cheaper now. Some of the recipes had their cp cost reduced by 90%. The stronghold upgrades are still huge money sinks but no one seemed to mind in our internal test.

We've thought and talked about higher levels. The system is set up for a standardized progression. I assume we'll have to tweak aspects of it, but it's meant to scale into future games.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

On a related note, in our internal play week, devs typically overlooked quarterstaves even though they do very high damage and have the advantage of reach.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah, I think it's just due to their expectations. The only time it was really a hindrance was when people were coming up against things that were really vulnerable to Crush and kept overlooking the quarterstaff someone already had equipped. I think the best we can do is try to be clear about how everything works and regularly communicate what's going on. There are plenty of weapons that do Crush damage. If someone ignores quarterstaves, it's certainly not the end of the world -- but they are pretty darn good, especially for characters attacking from behind allies.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

You will have to switch weapons semi-regularly depending on the enemies you're fighting. All characters start with two weapon sets they can quick switch between. There is both an in-game bestiary with monster stats and you can also see a creatures' Damage Thresholds when you attack them/hover over their selection circle.

Many weapons have a "best of" damage type quality that makes them more flexible against a wider range of enemies. Swords (pierce/slash), great swords (pierce/slash), war hammers (crush/pierce), wands (crush/pierce), sceptres (crush/slash), rods (pierce/slash), and pollaxes (slash/crush) all have this feature. When they calculate damage, they apply whatever type is stronger given the target's DTs.

When I did my recent play test, I liked dual-wielding sword/mace with my rogue. All three (weapon) damage types covered and the mace negated a portion of the target's DT.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It wasn't actually arbitrary. We discovered that crafting in large batches could sometimes cause the game to hang/crash so we brought it down into a range that didn't cause that problem. Still annoying, but that was the reason.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I think so, yeah.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Diomedes posted:

I understand that perfect balance is impossible. And while I appreciate what you've explained, looking through the talent list there's one that causes me concern that the system you've outlined will break down - savage strike. If one point in perception gives two points in accuracy, 17 points of perception gain enough to roughly offset the penalty of -15 accuracy, in exchange for +50% damage, whereas 17 might wouldn't give half of that damage increase. For a fighter or other primarily melee character, it would seem a no brainer that if you want damage, pump perception instead of might and get that talent.
None of the Talents have been tuned and ~50 of them went in at once.

Sensuki posted:

in v333 Wands and Rods were not best of damage type, has this been fixed?
Wands, rods, and sceptres all have best of damage types set in data. I did it quite a while ago.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The personal inventories are associated with the individual characters in data, so as they join or leave the party, the things they have come or go with them. Some players prefer to keep types of items with individual characters. This was actually the main reason why we had individual inventories to begin with.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

(Took these just then, v333)
This is what it looks like on my end:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

That is now an option you can toggle.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We're working on it. Still a lot of bugs to fix and spells/weapons/talents/abilities to balance.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Optionally, the stash can be accessed when you rest or whenever you are in an area where resting is not permitted. If you have that disabled, it can be accessed anywhere. It does have (effectively) unlimited space.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

The web VFX have never looked right or scaled properly. Kaz and our VFX artists are also going to do a general pass on all effects for overall size/clarity/duration to help keep the field mostly clear.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Through Irish orthography (and the orthography of other languages that adopted the Latin alphabet a long time ago), it's relatively easy to understand classical Latin pronunciation. Cultures create digraphs or adopt foreign letters to fill gaps that the adopted orthography doesn't accommodate, e.g. /v/ in Irish. Latin did this with "ph" because Φ used to represent a distinct sound from /f/. When English eventually dropped thorns (Þ) and eths (Ð), we replaced them both with th (which is pretty stupid if you think about it). A lot of languages adopted y because they didn't have anything else to to represent the sound in a loanword, which is why it often winds up being called variants of "i grec" or "Ypsilon".

That being said, Irish also has a lot of complex pronunciation rules due to how slender and broad vowels affect the consonants between them. Initial consonant mutation is also very weird looking to most EFIGS speakers. Interestingly, since Cornish really didn't have a standardized orthography until about the 20th century, it's one of the easiest Celtic languages for English speakers to read. Contemporary Irish orthography still has its roots in Old Irish orthography, which was adapted from Latin in the 8th century.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

Why were targeting indicators changed? Despite being elaborate the new ones don't interact with selection circles properly and add to the visual clutter. There was nothing wrong with the IE style ones.
Kaz is trying out different indicators. I believe that build was made while he was in the middle of making another revision.

The selection circles and targeting indicators need to support displaying Engagement, so his iterations are working toward that.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Dolash posted:

I'll hear stuff like this sometimes where people will want all stats to be useful to all classes and be able to build a melee mage if they want, but nobody ever asks for the reverse and hopes their fighter can be fragile and cast spells.
I don't think this is true. IME, most people don't expect their wizard to be able to just wade in, round 1, and start creaming everything because they set their Strength/Might to 18. The gish players like to be able to use buffs/contingencies/sequencers to hop in, go nuts for a few rounds, and blast off a few close-range spells for good measure. Having a high base Strength/Might is part of that (or at least contributes to it), but it doesn't make up for their inherent deficiencies in Deflection, Accuracy, etc.

When it comes to fighters, I think a lot of people do like the idea that they can make a smart fighter, charismatic fighter, etc. and play to those stats. It's much easier in 3E+ than it was in 2nd Ed., but you still often need to dig through splat books to find a way to make it work.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sea Otter posted:

So, what made you keep the different factors share the same resource pool, ropekid?
The choices related to allocating skill resources were uninteresting and not difficult. In the current system (Skills derived from Talents), I believe the choices have become more difficult, but not fun. It was genuinely an experiment. Overall, people did not have strongly negative reactions to it, but most people did seem to have at least a mildly negative reaction. I.e., it doesn't seem to make the game terrible, but most people think it makes the game worse. I think that's a better indictment of the system than if just a handful of people hated it. We'll be returning to something similar to the original system in the near future, with separate resource pools for Skills and Talents. I still don't think the choice of what to raise at each level is interesting or hard to make, but that's preferable to being frustrating.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

That was an oversight. They will be worth base 80 (meaning ~12 when you sell them) in the next BB update.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

All of the firearms had their Accuracy penalties reduced and they all received DT Bypass. The arquebus has the highest, with -12, so it effectively ignores standard plate/fine brigandine/exceptional breastplate.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

BTW, there was a bug with how someone had set up the ranger animal companions. They were sharing their DT with the ranger instead of using their natural (pretty high) DT and inherent DT bonuses they gain as the ranger gains levels. I fixed that a little while ago and I believe it's in the current BB build.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

There's one ranger in the entire Backer Beta and you can position your characters to stomp his face in ahead of time since the group he's with is neutral to you until you provoke them. I don't think that's a good test sample of how viable enemy rangers and animal companions are. There's nothing inherently terrible about a ranger's defenses. Their Endurance could probably be raised to equal the fighter's.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yes, that a sound strategy and one that in the current BB never can be challenged because the sole ranger you encounter can be group-hugged by the entire party immediately prior to initiating combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Sensuki posted:

I dunno, in encounters where I might have to get through some melee enemies to get to a Ranger, using AoE spells and ranged weapons to kill it while ignoring the companion and attacking other melee units instead would probably be the strategy I would employ (supposing I had AoE spells left in the adventuring day).
Yeah that's still a sound strategy but I don't see how that's any different from how people generally deal with any other "tackle" enemies up front when there's something softer and more threatening behind them. It's always simple in execution when nothing is preventing you from doing it.

• Locked thread