Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

Hey so Winter 2014 huh? technically that could mean next month, you guys work fast.

Also, saw this on the site and it made me sad that this isn't getting a physical release.

Imagine that as a big BG1 sized box.
It is getting a boxed version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Mymla posted:

Yeah, absolutely this. Most of NWN2s companions were pretty terrible. And NWN2 didn't even have one of each class. Really, if release is gonna get delayed for anything, I'd rather see the existing companions be given more content than have more companions added. And I don't necessarily see every class not being represented as a companion as a problem. It kinda gives you incentive to play one of those classes yourself.

Baldur's Gate, too, had an absolute ton of companions, but none of them were particularly good compared to what we've seen in more recent RPGs.
This. I want to be the party members to be well-written characters, that's part of the reason I pledged and why I don't want to use the Adventurer's Hall at all.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 11, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Disco Infiva posted:

Fort Bonepicker? :aaaaa:
Hel's Gate Citadel and Lake of Drowned Tombs. :black101:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CrookedB posted:

I just hope it isn't fantasy. Please not be fantasy.
I wouldn't mind it if was weird and surreal fantasy like both Torment games, but yeah no more bog-standard Tolkein-esque fantasy please.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

epitasis posted:

Pillars of Eternity is fantasy and it's gonna be cool and fun and interesting.
I'm totally fine with Eternity and it sounds like an interesting world, but it would be cool if Obsidian could do a wholly different setting for their next game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If you want the best storytelling and roleplaying when it comes to Infinity Engine games play Planescape. The rest of the Infinty Engine games are more combat focused so I have had absolutely no desire to play them because of it, but that's just me.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 19, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

VanSandman posted:

Hey Ropekid if you could ask Avellone to include a plot-important old blind woman who can see the future or knows way too many secrets somewhere in the game (if he hasn't already) I will be very happy. If he refuses, please tell him someone on the internet said 'pretty please?'
This is my personal measurement of whether or not the game will be good. Having the future-telling person be a kid was very immersion-breaking in New Vegas.
Just make the main villain an old woman. Avellone knows how to write badass old lady antagonists.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If its at least as nuanced as New Vegas' faction system that would be cool. Getting a gray area title like "Fallen Hero" after aiding the NCR for the majority of the game until I betrayed them at the very end was neat.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GreatGreen posted:

Just once I think it would be cool if a video game allowed you to choose a path that was obviously selfish at the expense of others to further your own interests with no hidden gameplay punishments other than your own knowledge as a player that you hosed people over to get where you are.
Planescape Torment did, you could be really selfishly cruel in the game to get ahead.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

2house2fly posted:

Are there any games with multiple currencies where which one you use is important depending on where you are? That might be a neat idea for a future Eternity game, have it take place at an intersection between three countries' borders, and money from X is either unusable at Y or will only buy a fraction of what it would in X.
Secret of Evermore had it if I'm not mistaken.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Sounds fine to me, though hopefully their fanbases don't work together. RPG and Strategy game grognards would make a horrific combination. :haw:

surc posted:

I had this discussion with a friend a couple weeks ago and when I made the point that bugs are going to crop up in games that are played by a large number of people, he angrily demanded I prove that other modern games also had bugs and got all flustered when I listed a bunch of games I'd had bugs happen in. :psyduck:
I don't understand the anger.
Any Obsidian hate really baffles me too. Like they're not the gaming messiah, but they are still one of the best devs out there if you're looking quality writing and characters.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 19, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Otto Skorzeny posted:

I would love to see the high fantasy equivalent of the poo poo that goes on in the paradox forums. "Dryrwood historically had best hussars, they kiel stupid orlans no problem until betrayed by filthy aumau in 783, this fanpatch fix that" etc
And don't even get them started on Valian clay or... what's a good Eternity analogue to Byzantium?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Scorchy posted:

"We're partnering with Obsidian Entertainment to bring, first of all, Pillars of Eternity to market" :raise:
Crusader Kings: The RPG please.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

Given the time period of PoE should I start studying CK2 or EU4 modding?
EU4 seeing is that Eternity is going through a Renaissance.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I really hope Eternity reaps a good profit, because Obsidian really doesn't deserve having to slave away on crappy foreign MMOs.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I like that too, the only RPG where I don't mind weapon durability is Fire Emblem. Every other RPG I've played that had it I found to be mindless tedium.

So is the beta still coming out in April or did it get pushed back? I don't think I'll really play the beta when I get it because I'd rather play the game when its complete, but I'll still try it out.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I really am glad that Eternity won't have that poo poo with their sentient races.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I like how in Torment that you could make Vhailor realize that being a true D&D Paladin type is hypocritical and dumb and it makes him commit suicide because he realizes his life is a lie.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
And bringing up Torment again you have two party members that have been lying to you the entire time.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Torment is one of the very few games where talking down the final boss is far more climatic than actually fighting him.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Drifter posted:

Did Bioware really use the term Hotrod Graphics for its dragon age campaign?
This is the same people that used "Darker, Sexier, Better" as a tagline for one of their games.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Scorchy posted:

Here's another comparison point, different genre and release model obviously but, Broken Age had 87k initial backers and came out to rave reviews, and only sold 70k copies after 2 months.

I encourage people to watch the latest episode of the Double Fine documentary if they have access, it focuses on the post-release sales side of things and it's super interesting.
Thing is Broken Age got split into two parts, so a lot of people are waiting for the whole game to come out before buying it. People do the same thing with Telltale and their games. I guarantee that once Part 2 comes out the sales will start rising. Eternity won't have that problem so I think it'll be raking in profits faster.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 27, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

evilmiera posted:

Maybe, but I'm still a bit worried at the pricepoint the game is at (which I'd say is still fair, but new players might be wary). But then, I'm angling to buy people I know the game anyway to pad out some of those sales, hopefully to introduce them to the genre and garner some more interest.
Even if people find the launch price a bit steep Obsidian will still make a total killing when Steam sales roll around. I really wouldn't be that worried really, I mean everything Obsidian gets from Eternity is just pure profit now.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
So I haven't been really up to date on news but there's one last party member unannounced right? The current roster is Eder, Sagani, Aloth, Forton, Cadegund, Pallegina, and the Orlan detective, correct?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Vermain posted:

Yes. There's a yet-to-be-revealed Fighter companion.
All right thanks. Guess the last one is probably going to be an Aumaua.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Furism posted:

The hardest part of this game will be picking which companion to leave at camp. And which class to play. So two parts are the hardest, I guess.
Same, thankfully you can have the majority of the possible party members come with you at once.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I'm totally going to bring Cadegund along at all times so we can give the war goddess tribute in bullets and explosions. :black101:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Sharmat posted:

I have. It was pretty fun. An underrated gem in my opinion.
You played the Alien RPG? Lucky bastard. :haw:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Game journos are just peeved that Obsidian doesn't pay them off. Obsidian also actually makes games that are more narratively complex than a puddle. :haw:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Wolfsheim posted:

I would hardly call some of the KOTOR2 cuts clean. The game actually hypes you up quite a bit on the idea of HK-47 tracking down the HK-50 factory, and everything that spawns from that is left in the plot somewhat randomly (like the ending scene of G0-T0 cornering the little remote droid that just randomly cuts away, with neither ever seen or referenced again).

Again, they did the best with what they had, but goddamn if it wasn't straight up obvious that they ran out of time on some major poo poo.
Not to mention Bao-Dur dies when he clears the way for HK to get to the factory. Even in the Restoration Patch it happens entirely off screen and its barely mentioned.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Gyshall posted:

I think this is probably the point in POE's development that, as the publishers and funding members of this game, we force Obsidian to release the game as is for ~~~ maximum profits~~
Fourth of July release or bust.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Nelson Mandingo posted:

If you buy it from here https://eternity.obsidian.net/buy will you get the beta? It's my birthday, and I've always been interested in this. Kicking myself in the head for missing the kickstarter.
Yeah you can if you get it as an add-on, buying the game alone won't give it to you. The 22nd is the deadline for getting more than just the base game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Jesus Christ, they really need to make characters more visible or something because my first combat encounter, the criminals at the town entrance , was a right clusterfuck and I had no idea who was who. I beat Dragon Age 1 and Planescape so I'm no stranger to this kind of game but all the characters just melded into this gray mush and I could barely tell who was who. I never had that problem with DA and Planescape. The game's been running smooth otherwise though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, I also agree that they need to up the scrolling speed, its way too slow.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jimbot posted:

I'm not a big fan of the wizard's resource pool. It worked well, or dumb depending on your perspective, in the EE games because resting wasn't a finite resource. In this beta, especially against the beetles, you go through all your spells really quickly on one encounter. If you spread it out then your guys are stuck doing poo poo damage (mine did .9 damage, why is that even a value?), so resting inbetween encounters is very necessary but you can't because you can only do it so many times and there are a shitload of enemy groups in that area.
I haven't left the village yet but taking my experience into account and yours I think they just really need to cut back on the enemy numbers in general. Make them beefier to balance it better or something, but right now there's just too many enemies and it makes combat a mess.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Diomedes posted:

1. Is it possible to be bald or have a shaved head? This is very important - I need to know that my people are represented.
Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Basic Chunnel posted:

Cadegund is no longer a CNPC iirc
Why? That's a bad decision. She had guns and she sounded like she'd be fun. Man I really hope Obsidian doesn't screw the party members because it was one of the reasons I backed this alongside the roleplaying and writing. I pretty much accepted I would probably not like the combat, like I do with most WRPGs.

• Locked thread