Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Vivaldi - (Winter) Allegro Non Molto

The caravan set out in the morning in the cold, brisk air. The travelers, maybe thirty in total, gathered around the numerous caravans, and Therius stood before all of them, speaking of her discovery.

"It's already a half-hour past dawn. I doubt more will show up, so we will set off. We're heading to the old ruins: they look like a long-forgotten ship of some kind. They're warm, and they seem secure. I've marked the location on a map, which I've entrusted to Professor Ureval and Brother Andus. We will travel south for maybe two weeks before we find it, assuming we do not find a blizzard to waylay us. I trust everyone has brought the appropriate gear. Try to help each other. It may be a long time before we thrive, and until then we've only got each other."

Therius looked across the group again, and then motioned to an older woman, bundled in warm leathers and fur. "This is Juliette; she's volunteered to act as a sheriff until we can get some kind of government established. Try to work with her---we'll all be safer that way."

It seemed like Juliette might say something, but Therius let out a short breath and spoke first. "It's cold, and movement will warm us surer than anything. Let's go."

The journey started unceremoniously: Therius left boot-prints in the shallow snow, and she was quickly followed by the groan of carts and the hooves of livestock. Very few people stood at the massive leg of Nihliesh to see the travelers off, and most of the farewells had been spoken long before this cold morning. The caravan slowly, but surely, began to move into the foggy, freezing morning.

Players
Ghos Fedroton, A Charming Jack who Commands Mental Powers, played by scissorman
Zezarick, A Rugged Nano who Hunts with Great Skill, played by ForgedIron
Karnin, A Strong Glaive who Fuses Flesh with Steel, played by SunAndSpring
Arkaine Medalos, A Learned Nano who Talks To Machines, played by saberwulf
Aleksey, A Stealthy Jack who Rides The Lightning, played by Looselybased
Heyn, A Strong Jack who Masters Weapons, played by AzMiLion

OOC Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Karnir

Karnir trudged along through the snow. The fur-lined clothes he stole kept him insulated from most of the occasional gusts of cold air the weather (oddly enough, the stockings underneath his pants seemed to be doing a remarkable job of keeping in the heat), yet at the same time made him stick out even more. If he had more time to think, he would've picked something much more modest; he could at least passed himself off as a worker from the First Tier if he had thought to take up an old wool robe from the slave quarters. For now, he would keep pretending he was a trader even if it was rather uncharacteristic of traders to be seven feet tall, extremely muscular, and coated in various scars. He stopped for a moment to take a look around him and see what sort of people were traveling with him, as well as if anything interesting was to be seen in the desert.

ForgedIron
Oct 15, 2013

Deez Nutz
Zezarick

With the terrible speech finished, Zezarick finished sharpening his knives and put them away. He stood up, swung his pack over his shoulder and began to trudge along with the rest of the caravan . It really wasn't that different from the many times he'd gone off hunting, but this time the crowd made him feel uncomfortable. Seeing others march along beside him made him all the more aware of the monotony of just simply moving forward. In the mass of bodies he noticed a few familiar faces, not all friends but at least friendly.

Zezarick noticed a mountain of a man stopped and was just looking about. He was incredibly out of place, he wore his furs like a man who has never travelled before, yet bore more scars than any man rightly should. A bodyguard probably, a mutant with more mass then mind. There were a couple sell-swords on this trip from the looks of things. Zezarick gave the man one last glare, and then began to close the distance to the woman named Juliette. Once he was finally beside the woman he cleared his throat.

"I am Zezarick…. and you are the law? Speak, and I will listen…."

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Ghos

After making sure that Emer-Da and her beloved are safe in the middle of the convoy, Ghos drifted around, concentrating on listening on the conversations (and thoughts) around him.
This way, he hoped to get a picture of the participants and possibly pick out future threats.
He also looked for Karnir but left him alone since he seemed to try to keep a low profile.

scissorman fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 11, 2013

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
Arkainé

Arkainé has taken to the center of the densely packed caravan, thankful for the sturdily built wagon and the furry beast of burden that the academy had gifted to Ureval for the expedition. Even so, the young scholar sat rosy-cheeked in the driver's seat, thick, silver fox fur wrapped tightly around her.

"Professor," she shouts back through an open slot in the wagon, "it's beautiful up here!"

"You may be the first to describe Matheunis as beautiful, my girl," he replies with amusement. Ureval sits inside the comfort of the wooden vehicle with scrolls unfurled across the table, glittering black ink still wet on a few of them. Danuvia is across from him, slumped against the door with an empty wine bottle still held in hand. Ureval bangs the window to stop her horrible snoring.

Above, Arkainé feels the neurons buzz in her brain. She reaches out across the caravan for Ghos and speaks into his mind.

"Still getting used to this strange bond we seem to have, Ghos. It's not like talking to the machines; it's looser. Like water running through my head. Ever been this far into the desert? It gets quite strange at some points."

saberwulf fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Dec 11, 2013

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Flex skill for the day, Geography

Hey

After checking on Hugo and Jak and seeing that they have found a place in the caravan, Heyn heads to Juliette. After he finds her he almost gives the traditional Iron Hand salute, fist to chest. But stops himself before he moves his hand to his chest leading to him awkwardly extending a hand to the woman. "Name's Heyn, If you need a sword-arm for security I'm willing to help. I could also help with navigation if you need anyone to aid in that."

Taking in the men and women around him, few people stand out. The obvious man out is the huge fellow clothed in furs, supposedly a trader even if the man looked like the sort who could club a bear to death with his bare fists."Hey, I'm Heyn. Guess we'll end up running security for this lot." Of course, there's also the assortment of nano's and other adventurous types in the caravan. He'd meet with them eventually. For now though, they will be moving for quite a while. Best make sure his gear was secure on his back. Tucking away the wrist-blades into his sleeves and loosening the pole-arm on his back he puts his mind to marching and starts humming an old marching tune from the band.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Karnir

Karnir reached out to shake his hand with the mercenary. "Hello, good man. My name is Karnir of Nihliesh, and I'm afraid I wouldn't be much help if things came to a fight. I'm a simple trader, and nothing more. I've trained with my city's militia like all those of age who aren't lazy louts, but otherwise I don't believe I'd be able to hold my ground in a serious scrap." While saying this, he groaned internally and thought to himself, "Come on, Karnir. You make this Heyn fellow look like a youngster, and he's obviously a trained fighter who knows how to recognize others of his kind. But keep telling him you're a trader. I'm sure he'll believe you, and maybe one day the sky will turn lavender and plants will learn how to talk."

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Ghos

Ghos answers Arkainé over the link without stopping his observation.
"Just a matter of getting used to it, I'm afraid.
And, while I have occasionally left the city, I always traveled with a guide to help me along.
Speaking of which, I think I saw someone who looked like an experienced hunter when we set off, so we should be fine."

Flex Skill: Identifying
Edit: Fixed missing tag

scissorman fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 2, 2014

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Everyone

The sun is bright, but the air is still freezing and the wind has picked up. Therius suggested to keep moving through lunch: she knew of a large cave that you should be able to reach by nightfall, and it'd be safer there to make a fire away from the eyes of bandits and creatures of the desert.

Karnir

You see two young children, no older than 10, staring at you off the back of a wagon. Their---father?---is driving it, and the young girl makes a face at you. The boy---her brother?---smiles and they laugh. When Heyn looms nearer, however, their father calls them to him. You hear him say something derogatory about mercenaries.

Zezarick

Juliette gives you an annoyed look. "Therius asked if I'd come along and keep the order. I'm hardly the law. I'm just here to make sure people do the right thing. What about you? Why did you come along, Zezarick?"

Ghos

The lovers seem to have settled in: Emer-Da was sharpening her sword, and Tellego was pontificating on the finer points of life without combat when you last saw them in their overly-warm, overly-furnished carriage.

Your mind moved among the thirty others, like bumping into so many people in an overcrowded room. At first, it was hard to pick out the signals, but you came away with clear impressions: excitement, maybe adventure, and general good will. Two of the mercenaries, a man and a woman who bore the mark of the Iron Hand, seemed to have more larcenous plans, however.

Arkaine

The fog started to burn away as the caravan moved, revealing a brilliant, clear sky. It actually might be beautiful, even though the past-freezing wind. More importantly, this far from the city the constant whine and groan of the machines spilling into your mind was finally falling away. And even so, you started to hear the faint whispers of other things: perhaps buried under the ice, perhaps large but distant, but these new voices were unmistakable.

Heyn

When you introduce yourself to Juliette, she gives you a strange look. "I don't know you, Heyn, and I don't know that I can trust you. I've brought three of my own people for security, and besides, I'm not exactly in a paying position. If you're interested in navigation, though, why not talk to Therius?"

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Ghos

Ghos pauses his telepathic conversation with Arkaine and discreetly moves a bit closer.
"Hold on a moment, I think I found some would-be thieves.
Mercenaries of the Iron Hand I believe."

Staying out of their sight, he begins to keep an eye on the mercenaries to get some proof of their intentions.

scissorman fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 11, 2013

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ghos

As Ghos moves closer, he takes in the couple: rough-looking mercenaries with large swords at their sides. The female seems lither, and more agile: the more likely the thief. They're speaking in hushed voices, flanked on either side by wagons. The woman seems to be fiddling with small, metal tools of some kind in a bag while the man points at several of the pack animals.

The man's thoughts are hard to read, as if surrounded in some sort of fog. The woman seems surrounded in a similar fog, but lighter: perhaps this man is attempting to shroud her mind for her?

Roll to avoid gaining their attention, overhear the conversation, read the female mercenary's mind, or anything else you'd like to do.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Ghos

Ghos frowns as he encounters the mental fog blocking his casual probe.
Some sort of psychic ability? Better not risk detection then.
He leans against one of the wagons and starts listening to their conversation.

I'd like to listen to their conversation.
What do you want me to roll?
I've got the Perception skill, so that might apply.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Just roll 1d20 on Orokos and link the roll here. Perception will decrease the threshold.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Overhearing the conversation: 1d20 1
Well, looks like this is starting out appropriately :suicide:

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Arkainé

"Don't hurt yourself, Ghos. We've not been out long."

Arkainé pulls herself from the telepathic flow as something else begins to buzz. Something more structured, easier for her to understand. The scholar grabs her coat tight and leaps from the driver's seat onto the frosty earth below. "Professor, I think there's something beneath us! Possibly around us? Out on the horizon? It's hard to tell..."

He pokes his head out the door and nods to her. "Very well, my dear. Tell me, what do they say?"

Arkainé gets low to the ground and brushes away some snow before digging her fingers into the cold dirt below. With a deep breath, she reaches out with the incomprehensible technology threaded through her body.

Gonna guess that's an Intellect roll.

Communicate with the Numenera (1 INT edge): 1d20 17

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

QuantumNinja posted:

Heyn

When you introduce yourself to Juliette, she gives you a strange look. "I don't know you, Heyn, and I don't know that I can trust you. I've brought three of my own people for security, and besides, I'm not exactly in a paying position. If you're interested in navigation, though, why not talk to Therius?"

Aleksey

Once I had made sure that Erika and the children were safely stowed away in the baggage train I decided that a good guard would probably wander around the periphery. After all, I wasn't there just to guard my family.

I caught myself musing while I walked the caravan. A dangerous trip to make a home out of a dangerous place. What drove these people to leave behind their lives and start new ones? Surely they were not so bad as to leave the relative security of Nihilesh. Then again, I was one to talk. Maybe they weren't running away from something like I was. Maybe they were running towards something grand.

I mulled over my own past as I walked through the center of the caravan. A young woman yells out her opinion on the scenery, one that I agreed with. It was beautiful out here and the sight was worth taking in. It was hard to remember that the entire world was not made from machinery.

Continuing my survey, I over hear parting words from Jules to a well meaning man.

"... I don't know you, Heyn, and I don't know that I can trust you. I've brought three of my own people for security, and besides, I'm not exactly in a paying position. If you're interested in navigation, though, why not talk to Therius?"

It was just like her to rebuff someone's well meaning attempt at something of a conversation. As he walked off to introduce himself to someone else I approached Jules.

"Making friends already are we?"

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Karnir

Karnir noticed the children making faces at him and frowned. "Oh, if they had seen me smash Noatos the Red's skull in with my bare hands, they wouldn't be making a farce of me. Little brats... Karnir shrugged and decided that he would get his revenge on them some other time. He looked closer to the main group and noticed Ghos making an oddly strained look on his face. "Oh, what in the blazes is he doing? He looks like he's trying to hear something from a mile away, and doing a bad job of it. Guess I'll check in on him. We did agree to help each other out as part of our deal." He then began to head towards Ghos, curiosity getting the better of his desire to stay low despite the insurmountable odds against that idea.

ForgedIron
Oct 15, 2013

Deez Nutz
Zezarick

"Keep the order, that is the laws job." Zezarick replies with an amused tone in his voice.
He turns to Juliette and tries to give her his best smile, "And I joined, well because...I hate cities. But! I like the occasional warm bed. There are few friendly places in Matheunis besides Nihelesh. I really hope this homestead is as warm as Therius made it sound." At that he noticed others coming to speak to the woman. He lets himself fall behind Juliette, if he spoke too much more he was liable to put his foot in his mouth. He was content to listen for now.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

ForgedIron posted:

Zezarick

"Keep the order, that is the laws job." Zezarick replies with an amused tone in his voice.
He turns to Juliette and tries to give her his best smile, "And I joined, well because...I hate cities. But! I like the occasional warm bed. There are few friendly places in Matheunis besides Nihelesh. I really hope this homestead is as warm as Therius made it sound." At that he noticed others coming to speak to the woman. He lets himself fall behind Juliette, if he spoke too much more he was liable to put his foot in his mouth. He was content to listen for now.

Womp, didn't realize you were talking to Juliette, Zezarick. Much apologies! Reading skills hooooo!

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Ghos and Karnin

As Ghos attempts to move into position to overhear the conversation, he manages to step wrongly on some fresh-packed snow. As he flails to keep his balance, the two look back and notice him---and the large hulk that's suddenly appeared at his side. The bag of tools vanishes and the two start to move into the more crowded parts of the caravan, the man looking over his shoulder ever so often to keep an eye on Ghos and Karnin.

The woman keeps looking at the other wagons, even as the couple moves away, and when a commotion moves through the crowd, Ghos loses sight of them altogether.

Zezarick

Topah finds Zezarick as he wanders away from the would-be sherrif. She seems bright-eyed, her spear gleaming on her back. It's seldom he sees her carry her weapon so brashly in public, and he thinks for a moment that she may be trying to impress the other travelers. Next to the tough-looking mercenaries, however, the entire show falls a bit flat.

Topah gives Zezarick a teasing smile when she sees him. "How did that go? It looks like you struck out again, Ze. Can't catch animals, can't meet women. Just like you. We're getting pretty far from the city: maybe 30 miles by my estimation. Do you think that there's anything more than rats out in the day? What's our chance of finding a ravage bear I can hang on my wall?"

Arkainé

saberwulf posted:

Arkainé gets low to the ground and brushes away some snow before digging her fingers into the cold dirt below. With a deep breath, she reaches out with the incomprehensible technology threaded through her body.

Communicate with the Numenera (1 INT edge): 1d20 17

Arkainé's hands dig through the snow, and they find something cold and metallic. When her fingers touch it, the underlying sounds instantly vanish, replaced with conversational tones, as if she's listening to someone speak through a wall. As she brings it forth from the frost, the LEDs on the small box start to blink and the words become clearer: "Where are you doing, and what do you wish for?"

The professor's head appears in the window of the wagon. "What is it, girl?"

When he sees the box, he's instantly outside in his furred coat, glasses on and book in hand, starting to dig through old sketches to find something similar. Several of the other travelers have stopped and gathered around as well, asking what Arkainé is holding.

And as she rises with her find, she once again hears a lower, quieter groan to the south: distant, but strong, the voice of something old and powerful and long-forgotten. Perhaps it's the ship she's headed to.

Aleksey

Juliette looked at Aleksey as Zazerick wandered off. "Don't you know him? He's over her, waxing philosophical about keeping order and my job. Where did you two meet?"

There was a sudden movement in the crowd, and much of the caravan ground to a halt a the young, fur-lined girl held up a strange-looking box. Juliette grimaced at you. "Oh, hell, just what we need: people finding crazy poo poo in the ice. Would you find out what's going on?"

ForgedIron
Oct 15, 2013

Deez Nutz
Zezarick

Zezarick sighs dramatically, of course Topah would assume he was flirting with Juliette, "Oh Topah, you know we won't get a decent hunt on this journey. This group is too large and too noisy, the only things that would come close are spirits of trouble and misfortune. It's best leave those beasts to the others here," Zezarick motions to the various guards and glaives. "Be patient, for when we come to the new homestead we will…" Zezrick trails off noticing the growing crowd around one of the travellers. "I'll be right back Topah, I think someone just found a spirit, let us see if it is just trouble or if we have misfortune in our midst…" Zezarick doesn't wait for a reply, he knows the girl won't listen to him either way.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Heyn

Typical, not trusting anyone offering a sword for security. Better i not start a scene. "I'll look into helping him out then, where can i find him?, My offer still stands if you would consider it." Starting to move away he spots a familiair face. Aleksey, Blood and ashes this day couldn't start of any better. "Aleksey, What brings you to these parts? The locals seem to love me already, as is to be expected for a man of my stature" Walking alongside Aleksey for a while as he looks for the navigator."So, what is your deal here? last time i saw you we were both in different occupations, also gave up the easier money that used to bring?"

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Ghos

Shrugging somewhat awkwardly, Ghos turns to Karnin.
"Well, I guess I screwed that up.
Good thing you were there; they might have picked a fight otherwise."

He thinks for a bit, then adds.
"We might want to warn Juliette to keep an eye out.
Afterwards I'll probably go back to my charges; do want to come with me?
It's probably better for you to stay among the crowd."

While waiting for an answer, he also sends a quick message to Arkainé.
"Got discovered and they bailed. A man and a woman armed with swords and some tools, so watch your property."

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

scissorman posted:

Ghos

Shrugging somewhat awkwardly, Ghos turns to Karnin.
"Well, I guess I screwed that up.
Good thing you were there; they might have picked a fight otherwise."

He thinks for a bit, then adds.
"We might want to warn Juliette to keep an eye out.
Afterwards I'll probably go back to my charges; do want to come with me?
It's probably better for you to stay among the crowd."

Karnir

"No problem, although I'm wondering who "they" are and why they would've tried to start something had you been found out. Care to fill me in?" said Karnir in as quiet of a tone as he could manage. "Looked like you were trying to listen in on something before you had that accident. Need me to do anything? I may not be a good sneak, but I don't think people can keep their eyes off of me for a second and you've seen me perform my actual profession." He took a glance over at where Juliette was moving towards and said, "Although, I think that coming to blows is not going to help us win any favors with these people. If we get kicked out of the group, we're on our own in a frozen wasteland with barely anything to eat and who-knows-what lurking out there. So we either solve this problem quietly or incite them into making a move first."

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Arkainé

Arkainé looks to Ureval and those around her. "It's Numenera, professor. It seems to seek my ambitions." She looks back down to the box, smiles, and brings it closer. She whispers, "I seek the Moon's Tempest, blinking friend, and the knowledge its ancient walls entomb. But what of you? Where are you from, and for what purpose do you live?"

Arkainé looks up towards the horizon, focuses on the groan. She lowers the box as not to shout into it, "to the south! I can hear something massive down there!"

Communicate with the Numenera (1 INT edge): 1d20 14

She reaches out across the desert, hoping to ping the behemoth in the snow.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Ghos

Turning to Karnir, Ghos explains.
"You saw that man and that woman who looked like Iron Hand that just slipped away, right?
I caught them planning to rob the caravan but I messed up when trying to listen closer.
They also had big swords and I'm sure they wouldn't be shy about using them, so it's good you were there."

Somewhat impatiently, he adds
"So are you coming with me to find the sheriff or not?
I could use someone to corroborate my account."

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Zezarick

Topah calls something after Zezarick as he walks off: maybe it had to do with his ability to hunt, but more likely it had to do with the disdain she tried to hard to hold onto. As Zazerick approaches the crowd, and the numenera dug out of the snow, the spirit inside the device manifested itself before him: it appeared at the shattered rudder of a wooden ship, washing along a holographic sea. In tall, sharp letters, the base of the spirit-hologram was a single word: "Guidance".

Heyn

The leader of the caravan, and the navigator, is Therius. She should be easy enough to find, but she's currently preoccupied with getting the leading wagons of the caravan stopped so that the group stays together. Heyn can attempt to help or carry on his conversation with Aleksey.

Ghos and Karnin

The two travelers look for the sheriff to report their findings as the crowd washes over them. The sheriff is easy to pick out of the crowd: Juliette is a tall woman, and she's barking orders to Seanick and Leo, two of her "deputies". "Get up there and get Therius to slow the leaders down. We'll never get cohesive until the dark if not, and if the wind picks up when the sun sets it may never happen."

GM Intrusion - Mark 1 XP or Ignore for 1 XP (Putting both of you at -1)
In the midst of it, the Iron Hand woman appears behind Ghos and attempts to slip a dagger into his back. Roll speed defense with target 12, then might defense with target 15 if you fail.

What do you do?

Arkainé

As Arkainé speaks the words, the small box seems to contemplate her request. When she calls out about the lingering beacon to the south, several of the settlers begin to murmur among themselves.

"Where are we going, exactly? / What's out there? Is it safe? / Should we turn back?"

Arkainé reaches out to the ship, but the unending flow of small, cryptic blips seems unresponsive. Perhaps the ship is alive, but too lethargic to respond.

Finally, the small box replies, "Where you are going."

The entire metal shape gets warm to the touch as the projector's fans spin on. The lights blink more rapidly and a huge image---a hologram---unfolds from the top, floating above the box in your hands. It presents the map of a great jungle, warm and complete, with a brilliant blue path drawn along the lush terrain.

GM Intrusion - Mark 1 XP or Ignore for 1 XP (Putting you at -1)
Yours may not be the only device to light up: several of these boxes exist, and asking for guidance from one may cause other such holographic mappers to display the same path. As the image is drawn, you feel the signal begin to broadcast across the tundra.

The professor goes wide-eyed as the map appears, examining it closely. Several of the other travelers have taken a keen interest as well, and they're now gathered tightly around Arkainé. Juliette appears at the girl's side. "Perhaps it would be best if we didn't do this in public, young lady."

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

HeynWill link sheet from the post after this one, this is going to be a quicky

"Aleksey, I'll catch up with you later. Best we let sleeping dogs lie for now." With that he sets of at a trot towards Therius. Waving at her with his unmarked hand "Lo, Therius is it? The name's Heyn. You look like you could use a hand here." With that said Heyn heads over to one of the carts and start making an attempt at slowing it down.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Ghos
Dodge: 1d20 15
Smoothly stepping aside, Ghos turns to the would-be assassin.
"How nice of you to save us the effort to look for you.
Now then, Karnin, if you would be so kind."

I want to use my mental powers to help Karnin in restraining the woman.
If that isn't possible, I'll probably shoot her with my crossbow.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Karnir

Karnir saw a flash of movement in the corner of his eyes. He saw a mercenary standing there with a dagger and a look of surprise on her face in front of Ghos. "Does this fool really think she can get away with stabbing a man to death in a caravan with about a dozen others that are armed? She must be out of her mind,", he thought. Ghos than said, "How nice of you to save us the effort to look for you. Now then, Karnir, if you would be so kind." Karnir nodded and rushed to the woman, intent on pinning her down.

I'll assume this is a Might roll. In any case, I think I won.
Pinning the Mercenary: 1d20 20 :snoop:

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 13, 2013

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Heyn

Heyn approaches a large cart as the driver attempts to slow his horse. Unfortunately, the murmur of the crowd, the shouting, and the sounds of struggle seem to have spooked the beast---or maybe something else has. The horse tries to bolt, pulling the cart with it over the thick snow. It looks like the cart may tip over, and the woman driving is holding hard onto the reins.

Therius gestures toward it, speaking quickly. "It looks like she's the one who needs it."

What do you do to try to stop it?

Ghos and Karnin

Ghos danced around the woman and her lunge left her exposed. Karnin grabbed her, the woman's dagger flying into the snow. She struggled, but Karnin's large, metal-laced arms held strong. Unfortunatley, as he secured the woman, her partner in crime appeared out of the throng of people. "Let her go, you brute! Get off my sister this instant!"

Several of the people turned to watch the situation as he brought his sword up and swung it at Karnin.

Roll against a 15 (Speed) to Dodge. Also, anyone standing nearby or likely to get involved should roll initiative.

(One day, everyone will learn how to put line breaks between different sets of quotation marks for ease of legibility. :holy:)

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 13, 2013

ForgedIron
Oct 15, 2013

Deez Nutz
Zezarick

Zezarick stops in wonder, bowing his head he begins to chant the protocol of greeting. He feels his mind expand as he links up with the data sphere of the spirit. The noise from the crowd threatens to break Zezarick's concentration, but he manages to push the physical world out of his head and enters the Spirit's realm through the connection buried in his flesh.

~I am Zezarick, greetings Spirit of Guidance.~

Zezarick brings himself closer not yet daring to interact with the hologram of the spirit. He hopes that Dalen or Topah is keeping an eye on him in the physical realm. The crowd was agitated enough and Zezarick knows crowds need very little incentive to become mobs.

~I am most honoured to be in your presence Guidance, What brings you online?~

ForgedIron fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 13, 2013

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Karnir

Dodging the merc: 1d20 11

Karnir saw the mercenary's blade coming and realized that it was too late to dodge the sword. He groaned and accepted that he was probably going to come out of this with another scar, but that at least his armor would take the brunt of the damage.

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 13, 2013

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Zezarick

First, yours ears fill the grumble of machine noises, and then stranger sounds: maybe running water, maybe jungle animals. And finally, over the bird calls and rustle of leaves, is a strangely mechanical voice: "She speaks---so clearly, so directly---and it woke me up. Where are my brothers? Where is my home? Where are you going, and what do you wish for?"

Roll to see if the crowd breaks your conversation at TN 12. If you pass, you may speak longer. If not, you are jolted out of it by the crowd.

Karnir

The sword comes down true---it is hard for you to get out of the way while still holding the girl, and you gracefully accept the blow on your arm.

The crowd has turned on you, and many of them are now shouting to release the girl. You see Juliette hurrying over, but the warrior looks ready to make another blow before she can arrive.

Take 4 points of damage. Roll initiative.

What do you do?

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Ghos
Initiative: 1d20 9
Ghos has barely time to react when the other mercenary appears and strikes Karnir.
He readies his crossbow and shouts.
"Your sister? I believe you mean your partner in crime, thief!"

Since this is likely going to turn into a big mess, I want to bring the crowd to our side.
Do you want me to roll for that?
I hope that my Pleasant Social Interaction skill applies.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Sure, roll for it.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Convince the crowd: 1d20 3
Dammit, another low roll.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
So 4 points of damage, minus one from my Fuses Flesh with Steel bonus and two from my armor. 1 damage all together. Pretty good for getting hit with a broadsword, I believe. Anyway, I'm going to try and convince this crowd to settle down before things get worse. My roll's pretty low, but hopefully some evidence and Effort helps me out a bit.

Initiative: 1d20 10

Convincing the mob to calm down (1 Effort): 1d20 6

Karnir

Karnir feels the sword impact his shoulder. His pauldrons absorbed most of the shock, but he still felt a moderate amount of pain. He knew that one of the exoskeleton parts had been knocked out of alignment and would need to be fixed later. Wincing, he took a look around him. He noticed that the crowd was getting extremely agitated; it soon wouldn't be long before they felt the need to intervene in this fight. Taking a deep breath, he began to speak as calmly, clearly, and loudly as he could.

"Friends, I am sorry that I had to act like this, but this woman has forced my action. She attempted to attack this man, Ghos, as he was preparing to tell the sheriff that a theft had taken place on this journey and that he believed these individuals were to blame." He then motioned towards the knife he had knocked out of the woman's hand. It stood upright, the blade buried in the snow.

"As you can see over there, I have disarmed this woman of her weapon. It would not have flown that far or landed in that manner had I taken it out of her sheathe, so the only logical conclusion is that it was in her hand before I forced it out of her hand. Now, I understand that this is not enough evidence of guilt, and therefore I offer this solution." He then looked at the other mercenary that had attacked him and loosened his grip on his alleged sister somewhat, while still keeping it firm.

"I will release your sister. I've taken great care not to harm her, despite this all. In exchange, you, me, her, and Ghos will wait here in plain sight of everyone else while Juliette goes and takes inventory of the caravan. If nothing was stolen, then the blame rests upon us and Juliette can deal with us as she likes. So, do you want to prove your innocence, or do you wish to fight over something this pointless when we are so close to our destination and prove your guilt?"

SunAndSpring fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 14, 2013

ForgedIron
Oct 15, 2013

Deez Nutz
Zezarick

Concentration roll: 1d20 16

Zezarick almost loses his grip after hearing the sounds of violence in the physical, but he holds on, hoping that he will be safe.

~We are in the frozen desert, I do not know where you call home, but I am heading south looking for a great ship buried in the earth. You may come with until you find your home.~

Zezarick pauses for a moment.

~Your name is Guidance, what is your purpose Spirit, how do you guide?~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Heyn

These damned horses could be the death of us all if they run off. Seeing that the woman is losing control over the cart, Heyn responds by grabbing the reins of of the woman and allowing them some slack. Heyn starts walking alongside the horse and begins to stroke it's neck. whilst at the same time allowing the horse to look around to get it's bearings "there lad, be calm. There's none here that mean you harm. I'll keep you safe."

• Locked thread