Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Inferno-sama posted:

Okay, this has been bugging me for a while. What did Z3.2 retcon and mess up with regards to story?

I'm going to say the fact that the space racism and general douchebaggery going on in Z1 is secretly orchestrated by Chronos, Blue Earth and the Titans in particular, and that the really personal hero titles were really baptismal names - Verchiel the Heat, Hamaliel the Star, and to a lesser extent, Zuriel the Unbreakable - and some kind of sign of fate and another sign that the whole of Z is subject to the will of the Angels/Sol Supreme.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Booky posted:

Oh, speaking of Z3(.1??), don't they like remove a big chunk of the Z1 characters by sucking them into another dimension or whatever and no one talks about them after that? :psyduck: Feels like a really weird decision to do for a trilogy. (I'm tagging this just to be safe, since I've never played a SRW game and have no idea if it's true or a rumor)
The Alpha games were notorious for having series get sent off packing in between games. A few examples:

--Alpha 1 starts with Victory Gundam-era technology for the Universal Century cast. By Alpha 2, the UC tech rolls back roughly 20-30 years to tech around the time of F91/Crossbone. By Alpha 3, the farthest UC tech goes is CCA-era, another 30ish year regression. There is no explanation as to why this happens, nor is the technology regression ever brought up in-universe.
--A handful of series get handwaved away as to why they don't return, such as Dunbine's cast being sent off to the Byston Well or the Alpha Gaiden bad future cast (Turn-A, Gundam X and Xabungle) returning to their time, for instance. Other series were just sent off with a big :shrug:, if they got lucky enough.
--Series that didn't appear in Alpha 2 but returned for Alpha 3 (such as Evangelion, the SRX Team and Macross) were given very meh explanations as to why they weren't around for Alpha 2's events, such as the SRX Team being under house arrest except for Viletta. And then there's Gundam SEED, which is handwaved into Alpha's continuity in a very flimsy manner.

The Z games at least tried to keep everyone from previous games involved in the plot, by contrast. Unfortunately, by the time Tengoku rolled around, constraints (or something along those lines) made it difficult to keep up with that effort.

Inferno-sama posted:

Really? I heard there was something regarding Asakim and doing stuff with him.
I think what you're referring to is the reveal that Asakim was not a real person, but some kind of corporeal entity that spawned via the Shuroga's attempt to recreate its original pilot using data from its damaged internal memory bank.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

I'm going to say the fact that the space racism and general douchebaggery going on in Z1 is secretly orchestrated by Chronos, Blue Earth and the Titans in particular, and that the really personal hero titles were really baptismal names - Werkiel the Heat, Hamariel the Star, and to a lesser extent, Zuriel the Unbreakable - and some kind of sign of fate and another sign that the whole of Z is subject to the will of the Angels/Sol Supreme.

You're forgetting stuff! Chrono pretty much had a hand on everything even tangentially related to humanity being space racist. Heero Yui dead? Chrono. Zeon Deikun? Chrono. Human Alliance hating Hideauze? Chrono. Laplace? Yup. And, of course, Blue Cosmos and Titans.

If I remember correctly, there's a video on Nico showcasing the moment where all of Chrono's shenanigans are exposed and the chat going all クロノ 「それも私だ。」.

The baptismal names are based on our legit birthday angels, by the by. So, it'd be Verchiel and Hamaliel. :eng101:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Brunom1 posted:

The baptismal names are based on our legit birthday angels, by the by. So, it'd be Verchiel and Hamaliel. :eng101:

Yeah, yeah, I forgot the spelling.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Caphi posted:

I'm going to say the fact that the space racism and general douchebaggery going on in Z1 is secretly orchestrated by Chronos, Blue Earth and the Titans in particular, and that the really personal hero titles were really baptismal names - Werkiel the Heat, Hamariel the Star, and to a lesser extent, Zuriel the Unbreakable - and some kind of sign of fate and another sign that the whole of Z is subject to the will of the Angels/Sol Supreme.

Okay, I just looked up about the Angels and Sol Supreme. Yeah, that was a major misstep. And how are Chronos able to manipulate both Blue Earth and the Titans into being space racists since they're originally from separate worlds? Unless...they can cross dimensions, can't they? Which begs the question of: How?

Edit:

Brunom1 posted:

You're forgetting stuff! Chrono pretty much had a hand on everything even tangentially related to humanity being space racist. Heero Yui dead? Chrono. Zeon Deikun? Chrono. Human Alliance hating Hideauze? Chrono. Laplace? Yup. And, of course, Blue Cosmos and Titans.

If I remember correctly, there's a video on Nico showcasing the moment where all of Chrono's shenanigans are exposed and the chat going all クロノ 「それも私だ。」.

I agree with the chat, Chrono Gozzo. Also, the angels bit is really weird since July is mostly Cancer but it says Verchiel of July is for Leo, which is mostly August. Also also, why make two characters have names that are just straight up the Angels?

Double Edit:

AradoBalanga posted:

I think what you're referring to is the reveal that Asakim was not a real person, but some kind of corporeal entity that spawned via the Shuroga's attempt to recreate its original pilot using data from its damaged internal memory bank.

Yes that, exactly that. The whole thing. What does that have to do with the Taiji? Why is he cryptic?

Inferno-sama fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 25, 2016

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Inferno-sama posted:

Okay, I just looked up about the Angels and Sol Supreme. Yeah, that was a major misstep. And how are Chronos able to manipulate both Blue Earth and the Titans into being space racists since they're originally from separate worlds? Unless...they can cross dimensions, can't they? Which begs the question of: How?

Turns out that, when you first get to the moon, you find a DVD with the Angels going: "pull that poo poo back or we'll destroy you". The big players of that world then form a secret cabal to do so.

So, every individual parallel universe has its own Chrono and they follow the Angels' orders, which is just to keep keep human evolution in stasis and wreck anything that steps out of line. Sidereal works as the Angels' enforcers, attacking when a Chrono fails to keep their end of the "bargain".

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Brunom1 posted:

Turns out that, when you first get to the moon, you find a DVD with the Angels going: "pull that poo poo back or we'll destroy you". The big players of that world then form a secret cabal to do so.

So, every individual parallel universe has its own Chrono and they follow the Angels' orders, which is just to keep keep human evolution in stasis and wreck anything that steps out of line. Sidereal works as the Angels' enforcers, attacking when a Chrono fails to keep their end of the "bargain".

But how do Sidereal get between the universes? Why do the Angels want humanity to not advance? And why do they let them reach the moon, build colonies in space and do all sorts of "advancements" before the Angels decide "Maybe we should stop this" when their message was on the moon and several worlds can travel into another solar system?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Inferno-sama posted:

But how do Sidereal get between the universes? Why do the Angels want humanity to not advance? And why do they let them reach the moon, build colonies in space and do all sorts of "advancements" before the Angels decide "Maybe we should stop this" when their message was on the moon and several worlds can travel into another solar system?

1) The Angels can tap into Origin Law all willy-nilly. They can send Sidereal wherever things get out of hand.

2) Because, as the first batch of humans in all the parallel worlds, they fear competition from other species getting to their level. Of course, the excuse they actually use is that keeping the evolution of others under their thumb is the only way for folks to evolve "correctly". Anyone who doesn't comply is Ba'al.

3) Because the Angels don't like to intervene themselves - they'd much rather let a version of Chrono try to keep things under control for them. Problem is, Chrono is a band-aid trying to hold back a floodgate. Despite their interference, humanity still makes it to space and gets their Newtype, SEED, Quantum Wave powers rolling. That's why Chrono started getting more and more violent in their oppression in UCW and ADW - because they were failing and that meant the Angels would, eventually, get fed up. They do leave Crystal Godzillas seeded in every Chrono-watched world , ready to gently caress poo poo up on their signal.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

1) The Angels can tap into Origin Law all willy-nilly. They can send Sidereal wherever things get out of hand.

2) Because, as the first batch of humans in all the parallel worlds, they fear competition from other species getting to their level. Of course, the excuse they actually use is that keeping the evolution of others under their thumb is the only way for folks to evolve "correctly". Anyone who doesn't comply is Ba'al.

3) Because the Angels don't like to intervene themselves - they'd much rather let a version of Chrono try to keep things under control for them. Problem is, Chrono is a band-aid trying to hold back a floodgate. Despite their interference, humanity still makes it to space and gets their Newtype, SEED, Quantum Wave powers rolling. That's why Chrono started getting more and more violent in their oppression in UCW and ADW - because they were failing and that meant the Angels would, eventually, get fed up. They do leave Crystal Godzillas seeded in every Chrono-watched world , ready to gently caress poo poo up on their signal.

1) Okay, fair enough.

2) Isn't that the argument that all holier-than-thou people use? I'd say they should've checked on that sort of thing, but they were the first batch...according to them.

3) Then what about Macross? Was drawing the Zentradi the Macross Chrono's idea? Cause that hilariously backfired. But that wouldn't make sense since it wasn't until the Zentradi got involved that humans truly went beyond the moon.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Inferno-sama posted:

3) Then what about Macross? Was drawing the Zentradi the Macross Chrono's idea? Cause that hilariously backfired. But that wouldn't make sense since it wasn't until the Zentradi got involved that humans truly went beyond the moon.

The Protoculture were among the Angels' victims. I don't know/remember if they had a Chrono equivalent but the Angels did bring the Protodeviln over to kill everything.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

The Protoculture were among the Angels' victims. I don't know/remember if they had a Chrono equivalent but the Angels did bring the Protodeviln over to kill everything.

They brought over the Protodeviln to kill the protoculture and then everything else? Cause that seems like "If you're not going to play by my rules, then you can't play and I'll never let you play", which I guess, based on what I've read, fits their somewhat childish nature.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

And we’re all back together (sans most secret characters)! Insert another forty minutes of HR work and this is how we’re going with our twenty slots (many are the same I used for the finale because I couldn’t be bothered to change it):

• Rand, Rag/Birin, Corin (Eagail)
  • Baldios, Riea, Enil
  • Duke, Hikaru, Maria
  • Getter, Michiru, Tekkouki
  • God Sigma, Holland, Carris
  • Sol Gravion, Yzak, Faye
  • Roger, Jiron, Roybea
  • Gainer, Adette (Rushrod), Sara (Jinba)
  • Zambot, Matthew, Yassaba (Golem)
  • Kouji, Tetsuya, Joseph
  • Banjou, Katz (Re-GZ), Witz
  • Kei, Olson, Atena
  • Kira, Athrun, Muu
  • Garrod, Pala, Jamil
  • Shinn, Luna, Harry
  • Camille, Quattro, Four (Dijeh)
  • Setsuko, Toby, Denzel
  • Loran, Maai, Emma
  • Amuro, Poe, Lancerow
  • Sandman, Gain, Gauli (Mexbrute)

The loss of Haman paired with Aquarion and Nirvash’s absence gave me enough openings to give Sandman his own group. The Glory Star’s also staying together to get that extra damage on the TRI.

Everyone’s gathered up and ready to hear Banjou’s intel. First off, though, Kappei wants to know what he’s doing here instead of going to Mars like he said he would.
Turns out Banjou had a little errand to run before heading to Mars, so he was working with Roger and Fudou. The Negotiator himself has expanded his operations beyond Paradigm City and was very eager to answer Banjou’s request.
Tetsuya asks if Banjou’s errand is connected to all that’s going on and, as fate would have it, yes. It was by seeing to this matter that he came across a few bits of info regarding the army of drones. Garrod and Renton wanna get things rolling ASAP, so they ask him to abridge the story and get to the good bits. Fair enough.
First off, Banjou reminds of what we already know: the drones are all relics of the Black History. Shinn asks if Banjou’s about to reveal that he found information on that era and, indeed, he confirms. Jamil wonders how that’s possible, however, seeing how D.O.M.E. is still asleep and, as Jiron relates, Arthur couldn’t find any details in the Innocents history books.

Roger points out that the info we sought wasn’t brought into the present via detailed accounts. Rather, it took the form… of a novel. Yes, Gordon Rosewater’s Metropolis and its depiction of the end of the Black History. While they couldn’t get their hands on the book itself, they did manage to get in touch with someone who’d read it.
Banjou wanted to know what happened after the Black History came to pass, how the world was restored in the aftermath of the dimensional collapse that happened. They wanted to know what was written in the epilogue of the novel.

“The new world, born of the Great Power’s maelstrom, was gripped by chaos. And, thus, the surviving peoples made preparations for the time when such a calamity would happen again. The Restoration that follows Destruction… The Executor that rescues the ruined world… The night ends and dawn arrives; once more, the sun emerges from the land of the rising sun,” Roger quotes.
That’s the information they found in the epilogue of Metropolis. Those drones were all left behind by the Black History folks in order to help the future world? Indeed, Marin ponders, from what was told, it seems they were left as a counter to the chaos that would follow the dimensional collapse at the end of a Black History cycle. Was it a coincidence that made them awaken following our Dimensional Repair?
Banjou doesn’t think so, figuring the event still fell within the system’s pattern: the Black History started, rolled into the outbreak of a massive conflict and, at the end, the dimensional walls all stabilized. That stabilization is the key, in that the system figured the collapse had come and gone and it was time to get to work.

But hold on, says Eiji, those drones are out there attacking cities. Toshiya agrees in that something like that can’t be said to be working with the interest of the world and its peoples in mind.
Duke figures it’s not that simple; it’s possible the drones’ attacks are no more than part of the Executor System’s directive. “Destruction and Restoration… This would be the former, then…” Kira ponders.
Banjou concurs, figuring there’s probably another step that’ll occur after the drones are finished destroying everything – something that’ll carry out the “Restoration” part of the plan. But what could be restored by destroying the entire world? Earth itself, Quattro suggests.
Remember, their respective universes, the planet Earth was greatly polluted by human activity. Looking at it from another angle, it could be said that the presence of humanity is an obstacle to the restoration of the dilapidated world.

Shinn freaks out at the idea that this means the Executor System wants to eradicate humanity to get that ball rolling. Quattro, however, argues that since we’re dealing with a man-made system, it probably doesn’t wish our complete obliteration. This might be a cull or, perhaps, the System might simply be trying to kick humanity off the planet.
Bright remembers the old Er-ism philosophy, in that Earth is sacred ground and, thus, humanity must leave it untouched and move to space. Essentially, the Executor System is using force to put this in practice.
Amuro can kind of see the concept behind it but he certainly doesn’t approve of the thought of long-gone humans imposing an arbitrary decision upon others.

However, there is proof that such a system ran in the distant past and Diana knows what he’s getting at: the world of the Moon Race and the Innocents (Rand’s).
At the end of the Black History, the Turn A used the Moonlight Butterfly to reduce all civilization to sand. As the world slowly recovered, humanity eventually split into different camps: ones swore off technology in order to safeguard the environment, others went on to live on the Moon and in Space until the world had fully recovered and others chose to purposefully brave the harsher environs of the planet.
That accounts for the Moon Race, the low-tech civilizations in North Ameria, as well as the peoples of Zora and Siberia. All of them examples of the world being restored from scratch after it all came crashing down.
We had assumed that the Moonlight Butterfly and the OverDevil’s OverFreeze were simply anti-Fallen Angel weapons but Roger now thinks they’re all tools of the Executor System with which to trigger the “Destruction” step. The system’s activation explains why the Turn A went crazy…

But it does not explain what happened to King Gainer. It’s a special kind of Early Overman, so does that mean it possesses a power similar to the OverDevil’s?
Banjou is at least fairly confident that neither mech will go astray with someone at the controls, which is a bit of a relief. Gainer has a sinking feeling that there's more to King Gainer but can’t figure out what. With all that information delivered, Diana asks where their informant is right now and Roger says the man is away, wanting bear witness to the fate that awaits the world.
Sochie starts figuring out who the informant is but Diana decides to let this slide – at the very least he disliked the future he read, so he helped us in order to rewrite it.

Regardless, now that we’ve a pretty good idea of what the Executor System is up to, Bright says it is imperative we bring it to a stop ASAP. Heizaemon figures that, judging by the nature of its objective, it is possible the system could have some sort of WMD that’ll affect the entire planet. With that “land of the rising sun” part of Metropolis’ text and the fact that Japan hasn’t been attacked by the drones, it’s very likely that whoever is controlling the Executor System is over there.
Thus, Holland and Shaia surmise, if we take that person out, we pull the plug on this whole thing. Banjou suggests we start with the Kushiro Marshlands, in the Hokkaido prefecture; the area has a Mountain Cycle, so investigating there could point us in the right direction.

Still, Tsugumi and Jun fear the mastermind has already moved off Japan and that the trip will be a waste of time. Apollo counters that it’s always best to work instead of worrying – even if the guy has already left, we might find a clue. The suddenly-appearing Fudou agrees.
Apollo, at last, isn’t taken by surprise by his shenanigans and Fudou sees that he has grown: “Through the cycle of success and failure, destruction and restoration… It is by overcoming various trials that both man and the world progress towards the next stage.”
Sirius asks if he’s talking about the Executor System but Fudou simply shrugs. On that note, Apollo gets annoyed that while Fudou seemingly knows everything that’s going on, he’s deliberately holding stuff back. Does he get a kick out of watching them flail about?

Fudou counters by asking if Apollo rejects the idea of the cycle of Destruction and Restoration being the gateway towards higher evolution. Apollo answers with a resounding “gently caress that”, as something like that would cost the lives of loads of people.
“I dunno jack ‘bout evolution or whatever but there’s gotta be other ways to reach higher levels!” he says.
In that case, Fudou tells him to put a stop to the phantom of the Black History – the distant pain that burdens this world.

(This whole final bit is quite the very distant foreshadowing, especially for Z3.2).

Special Disk 5-2 – The Executor

Our people arrive at their destination and it also shows signs of the Executor System being active – a big hole in the middle of the Mountain Cycle tells that some drones came out from it but the units themselves are nowhere to be seen now.
Amuro figures, since the core of their system is assumed to be here in Japan, the units must have gathered somewhere to keep guard over it. Joseph and Loran see quite a lot of similarities between this place and the Lost Mountain in Galia and, thinking back, it’s very possible those Overmen over there were also part of the Executor System.

When Sochie asks why, he says that since those units are tasked with seeing to the restoration of the world’s environment, they’re likely equipped to deal with nuclear threats. When the Breaker fired that nuke, the Overmen awoke in response and went to neutralize it.
But, either way, our people came here also hoping to provoke whoever is controlling the Executor System to try and take action against us. And that plan pays off big time, as a bunch of mooks pop out of the woodwork – the abundance of units proves to Shinn that the core of the system is somewhere in Japan.

: Urgh…!
: What’s wrong, Gainer?!
: King Gainer’s being called… drawn to some huge power!
: Gainer! Over there!

: Another King Gainer?!
: No, the details are different! It’s something else!
: A Black Overman…
: Ghck…!
: What is it, Gainer?!
: It’s him…
: Huh?
: It’s that Overman that’s calling King Gainer!
: What?!

: Argh…!
: What’s going on? Talk to us, Gainer!
: I…see it now…! That Overman is the core of the Executor System!
: Then…!
: The pilot of that unit is the mastermind behind all those attacks!
: All troops, focus your attacks on that Overman!
: …

: Hey! He’s running away?!
: Looks like he’s well aware of his importance as the leader of the operation.
: He’s likely moving to a secure location while his defenders keep us pinned.
: Then we need to break through these and get in pursuit.
: Yeah! We finally found the guy – we can’t let him escape!
: Open fire! We’ll clear out the drones ASAP and give chase to that Black Overman!
: You’re up, Reika, Pierre, Rena! Kick their asses and we’ll show pops what for!
: You got it, Apollo! Here we go, girls!
: I am ready. We must all give this our all.
: They cannot be allowed to rain any more misfortune upon the world…!
: U-Urgh…
: Are you alright, Gainer?
: I-I’m hanging on… somehow…
: (I know… what that Overman really is… I’m sure of it…!)

Destroy everything, don’t lose any ships or the Assault Aquarion. As before, we’ve been left with a bevy of pretty much every non-alien faction mooks to deal with except, thankfully, no Overmen. They’re in larger quantity than in the previous mission but it still isn’t enough to compensate for the huge upgrades our guys have.
Feel free to spread out but make sure you keep Loran away from the SE corner. It’ll make your life simpler.

Here we go!

Once you destroy twelve enemy squads, the meat of the mission kicks in.

*Ping!*

: This signal… it can’t be!
: We’ve other units on approach! They might be more of the Executor System’s drones!
: Hold on! Look at the squad lead!

Nooooooooo!

: The Turn X!
: Is it also equipped with the Executor System?
: Wrong! It is I who controls it!
: Gym Ghingnham?!
: It has been a while, hasn’t it, Diana?
: It’s that war-crazy moon general!
: But we all saw him be enveloped up by the rampaging Moonlight Butterfly in Atlandia…
: And, yet, I did not die! Both I and the Turn X had far too much to do in this world, you see!
: Why are you here, then…? Don’t tell me you’re the mastermind behind this whole thing!
: “This whole thing”…? You mean the Destruction and Restoration of the world?
: He knows of the Executor System, I see…!
: Before, a psychic wave reached through the Turn X and asked me: “what is the meaning of human existence?”!
: The meaning of humans…?
: And answer, I did: “combat is the meaning of human life”!
: This freak hasn’t changed one bit!
: And my words seemingly resonated with the will behind that psychic wave, for it entrusted me with command of its army.
: It bid me and the Turn X to assist in bringing about the Restoration that follows Destruction!
: The Turn X’s awoke its Moonlight Butterfly System before, so the Executor wants to use it as a replacement for the Turn A…!
: He was scouted by the Executor’s manager, then?!
: Open your eyes, Gym Ghingnham. You still haven’t realized the folly of your actions…?! By using that forbidden power to sate your ambitions, you’ll only bring the Black History’s conflicts to bear!
: Is your mind slipping, Diana? You ought to know that that is precisely what I desire!
: So you did not learn anything, even after all that fighting…
: I am so pleased to have met you in the field of battle once more…! Still, how about I start with a small appetizer?

*Gym charges after the Gekko*

: He’s coming after us!
: The light of the moon belongs to Diana! It is a villain who dares lay claim to its name and, thus, it falls on me to tender your execution! (Gekko is 月光 which is, as he said, moonlight.)
: Run, Talho! You can’t take that monster on!
: Evasive maneuvers, Doggie!
: Roger!

The Gekko and Gym run all the way to the SW corner.*

: You are far too sluggish!
: We can’t shake him off!
: Urk!

: I won’t let you put even a finger on them!
: Renton!
: He launched in the 909?!
: HAAAAAAAAAH!!

*Renton goes after the Turn X*

: You idiot! You don’t know how to fly the 909!
: But I’m still going for it, as a member of the Gekkostate!
: Eureka, Talho and her baby are in the Gekko too!
: Calling out the name of a lover while on the field of battle?! Boy, you ought to know…
: That is the act of a warrior seeking succor at his final moments!!
: Renton, run!
: STOOOOOOOOP!!

: A warp?!

: That’s--!
: Indeed, I’m certain!
: It’s the Aquarion!
: I-I’m detecting a High-Dimensional Quantum Reaction! It’s—
: Come, Wings of the Sun… We have awakened from our brief slumber and, now, we shall lay judgement upon the demon who poisoned the Tree of Life.
: Touma!
: The Machine Angel, controlled by a Fallen Angel…? Now that is a far more interesting opponent!
: Poison-spreading demon, I have united with the Wings of the Sun… do you truly think yourself to be my equal?
: Hey! You don’t get to talk like that!
: The Aquarion belongs to DEAVA – to all of humanity!
: UOOOOOH!

: Aquarion! To us!
: AAAAQUARIOOOOOOOON!!

: It split up!
: That’s…

*The Vector Sol and Mars head up to the Gekko.*

: Let’s do this, Sirius!
: Yes!

*Both Vectors switch to their head-only modes*

: Wings of the Sun…! You still care for your reincarnation and Celianne’s half?!
: And we shall be taking the Luna back as well, Touma!
: Go, Sirius! I got your back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqJF7TPuBgc
I’m very surprised they actually animated the transformed Vectors, even if it’s a basic attack!

: Urgh, drat it!
: Curse you!
: What are you doing, Apollo?! This isn’t the time for that!
: But—!
: What fun you’re having! I hope you don’t mind if I partake in it as well!

Gym jumps right between the Vectors.

: Away, your battle-crazed beast!
: It is the essence of humans to be ruled by combat! The same applies to the lot of you!
: You are fine, indeed! Men who lose themselves to combat are the ones truly fit to cross blades with me!
: We…
: Lost ourselves to combat…
: That’s correct.

: Nirvash!
: She also returned to this world?
: Have you all forgotten of the miracle that was born of your meeting?
: That’s…
: On that day when, for the sake of granting the world a new beginning, we…
: She’s right! We all rose above the lines that separated humans and angels and became one!
: We…
: And nothing but destruction awaits us if we forget that!
: Oh, bearer of such a warm aura…

*Touma goes over to the Gekko*

: Huh?
: Could you should it to me once more?
: Show me the miracle that is the union that transcended wingless and angels.
: Yes!

: Apollo, brother!
: Aye, aye!

: Genesis…!
: Combination!
: GO! AQUARIOOOOON!!

: Hm…
: Wingless… rather, humans. I leave the Wings of the Sun in your hands once more.
: Touma…
: I shall observe your battles from the space inbetween dimensions.

: Touma… he came to understand us.
: Thanks, guy…
: Hrrm! He lost his will to fight?! Fine, then…!
: He’s coming for us again…?!
: Away with you, boy!!

*Renton is sent flying out the 909.*

: GAAAAAAAH!!
: Renton!
: He’ll be alright.

*Eureka surfs on over!*

: Put out your hand, Renton!
: Eureka…! You’re here!
: Let’s fly together again!
: Yeah!

: WEEEEE CAAAAAAAAAN…!
: FLYYYYYYYYYY!!

: Nirvash… You’re gonna help us out, eh?
: Thank you, Nirvash. We can all fly together again.
: Uurgh, brats! You won’t make a fool out of me any longer!
: Whoa, there!
: You ain’t gonna do jack to them!

*Both Aquarions tag in with the Nirvash.*

: Guys…
: Let’s get to it, Renton!
: We gotta show this kill-crazy old man that there’s a lot more than that out in the world!
: Right!
: Both the Nirvash and Aquarion have returned…
: I guess they all love this world too.
: And, so, here they are… Lending their strength in order to protect the life in it!
: Do you see, Gym Ghingnham? Such is the strength of those who fight to defend something. You must now acknowledge the pettiness of fighting solely for one’s greed and pride.
: How dare you, Diana!
: Ghingnham… if my words can no longer reach you, then…
: Then I will strike you down in the name of all living beings!
: You will not stand in the way of my era, Diana, ZEUTH! This world will be destroyed and, then, reborn!
: No, it won’t! Not while we’re here to protect all the many lives that live in it right now!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 28, 2016

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Turn X (Gym Ghingnham)
Pilot Skills:
  • Perfection
  • Guard
  • Fighting Spirit
  • Morale+ (Damage)
  • Break Morale Limit
  • Attack Again
Features:
  • I-Field
  • 30% HP and EN Regen
Squad Leader Bonus: Accuracy Rate and Critical Rate +30%

I guess Banpresto figured Gym didn’t get the finale he deserved back on mission 57, so they brought him back and gave him a major HP boost, along with some added stats. He now has 224k HP and can be as deadly as ever (thankfully, he doesn’t auto-cast Strike) if you let his morale get going. Which is why you shouldn’t let it.
As soon as he pops out, keep Daunt casts handy and avoid killing as many mooks as you can – you’re not on a timer anyway. Gym will ALWAYS go after Loran unless he’s surrounded, so use the kid as bait and gather all your folks around to intercept.
Take him out in one turn because not only will he regen nearly 70k HP a turn, you really don’t want him getting a chance to MAP you. Even without Strike, his squad bonus plus Perfection pretty much equals a guaranteed hit against anyone without Alert.

So, insert a few turns of me dangling the Turn A outside Gym’s range like carrot-on-stick!

Before we start the montage, however, I’d like to bring to you the single luckiest thing I've ever seen happen to me in SRW:

: Don’t you understand? The desire for war will eventually lead this world to its death!
: No… it will drive us to greater heights! War is what propels history!
: Into destruction! That’s what happened to S-1!
: And I won’t let that happen! This beautiful world can’t disappear!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HvyeddsoB8
I could have used this luck to win the lottery but, no, I spent it here. Y’all better appreciate it!

Now, I finally have my chance of post the Turn A Turn Vocal!

: Leave the past in the past! How could we ever let some ghosts of the Black History do their thing with our world?!
: History always repeats itself! Battle is part of humanity, no matter what you do!
: Okay then! I guess history is repeating itself... the part where you go down!
: You won't stay in your graves, you ghost? Then I'll bury you even deeper!

: I’m getting sick of that crack on your chest. Let’s wipe it off…
: I like your pluck! But you haven’t the might to destroy me!
: Maybe I’ll just put my name on top of that X, then... as your epitaph.
: The Black Cross is coming for you, Gym Ghingnham!

: You fight well, warrior! A fine match for me!
: Are you still drowsy from your nap in the crypt?
: Eh?
: Because you sound like you forgot that we beat you already, so we'll do it again!
: And this time, you're not coming back to wreck our peace again!

: Char Aznable! The psychic wave that touched the Turn X showed me your sins!
: My sins?
: Indeed! Your deeds at the conclusion of the Black History!
: There’s no point in my hearing any of that.
: What?
: I am Quattro Bajeena. There is no reason for me to learn of Char Aznable’s sins!

: You will regret wandering into combat so brazenly, boy!
: Well, you're gonna regret trying to start a war again!
: Do not make promises you cannot keep, boy!
: Maybe I can't keep them myself, but I'm not by myself, and I've got Eureka!
: Renton...
: Once again you call a woman's name in battle! Such immaturity!
: I may be still a kid, but I can't let a selfish man like you beat me!
: I just can't!

: So the big bad moon general takes orders from some ghost now, is that it?
: The voice that called to me is one which shares my ideals… a comrade!
: You will see how many in this world desire battle!
: That’s just a few selfish freaks! Don’t decide for the whole world!
: We’re not going give people like you control of our future!

: Is he... more powerful than when we previously crossed blades?
: You'd never understand... I'm strong because I've got something to lean on!
: And what is that? Tell me!
: Mothers are strong, they say... well, so are dads. I'm fighting for my family and for the world!

: I see... we're alike, you and I!
: My darling may grow his hair out, but he hasn't permed it or anything!
: As usual, that's not what he’s talking about!
: Destruction is in your blood! Truly a fitting opponent!
: Look, I don't wanna be here fighting! I'm a repairman, darn it!
: You're gonna pay hard for turning me back into The Crusher!
: I'm gonna crush you to bits so little there won't be anything left to put back together!
: Excellent! Indeed, you are as worthy a rival as I thought!
: Just! Stop! Talking!

: Those who desire peace and those who desire war, both breaking the bonds of time...
: Peace is a fleeting illusion. And it means true life ends... a living death!
: Gym Ghingnham... it is you who Thanatos will take today!
: Ye ignorant of the meaning of peace! Learn it with your very life!

: I see ghosts really do prefer dark, spooky places.
: No matter. The whole world will be one great, glorious battlefield soon enough! The ghosts and I will make it so!
: Don't you get it, Gym Ghingnham? Nobody wants a world like that!
: Daitarn 3's sun will light the way to banish the ghosts back into the darkness!

: Hahahah! Are you're shaking, boy?! How precious!
: !
: Kappei, are you...
: That dude's psyching him out!
: Shaddup! I'm Kappei Jin! He's not gonna pull one over me!
: Ah, a fiery spirit. But that spirit is--
: I said shut up! I can't let you beat me if you don't value peace!
: Aki, Michi, Kouzuki! I'm gonna beat him! I won't let him take our peace!

: How far the Newtype soldier has fallen! Allow me to show you the way!
: I have something to protect now... that's what gives me power!
: A man like you, who can only take and destroy, would never understand that!
: Enough prattle! Show me this power if it exists!
: I will accept its existence if you can defeat my Turn X and I!

: Give it a rest already! Go back to your graves with the Executor and the other ghosts!
: I’m afraid not! We are all here to transform the world!
: The world will burn down to ash in the flames of war!
: What’s the point? How many lives have to go before you realize war doesn’t get us anything?
: I’m done with you! Our world doesn’t need any more war!

: A woman? You think you can stand against me?
: You better not let your guard down around our ace, guy...
: We've got your back, Setsuko! Show him the spirit of the Glory Star!
: Yes, sir! Setsuko Ohara moving in!
: A frontal assault? She doesn't fear my Turn X?
: I will overcome my fear and my sorrow by the duty and the pride within me!
: I am a Glory Star!

: We meet again, boy! I am pleased to see the Machine Angel again, as well!
: You wanna beat me that bad, huh?
: Or do you want me to give you a ride back to the moon on my Infinity Punch?
: An amusing quip, that! In repayment, I will grant you passage to Hell!
: A dumbass quip, that! Go back to your grave, ghost!

: Master of the Black Giant! Show me your true power!
: I'm a Negotiator by trade, so my true power is words and wit.
: Though I don't expect they'll have any effect on a brute like yourself.
: Hah…! Making excuses already?
: I'll play on your terms if you wish...
: Return to your grave, phantom of the Black History!

: A mech that burns scarlet like a flame! The flame of combat!
: Yeah, sure! But Sol Gravion's flame is going to roast you up!
: The Gran Knights ride to strike down evil that preys on the innocent!
: Gym Ghingnham! You stand against us!
: A fine spirit! Let us pit your flame against the hellfire of the Turn X and see which consumes the other!

: So, Mr. Moon General, remember what you said about calling a woman's name in battle?
: What of it?
: Well, I figured out why you love to fight so much.
: It's all because you don't know how good ladies are, right?
: What?
: So in your next life, you ought to try a nice relationship! I promise it's way more fun than war!

: Why do you want war? Do you enjoy seeing innocent lives end?!
: Lives are brilliant because they are finite! And it is war that heightens that radiance!
: In that sense, it is the meaning of life itself!
: Are you joking?! All you do is kill!
: A man who does only fights has no right to talk about the meaning of human life!

: We meet again, boy… and I see you’ve cast away your naiveté!
: I’m fighting the same fight I was before… but now I’ve committed myself to it!
: Committed? Very lofty language, coming from you!!
: Laugh if you want… but I’m going to press on through my doubts…
: And the first step is defeating you! So I can protect people with my own hands!

: Are you kidding me? Why don’t you understand that this war is pointless?
: It is you who does not understand, boy!
: Without battle, humans will forget what it means to live! I will fight to remind them!
: You’re full of it! I’m sick of watching people die for the pointless battles of some jerks!
: If you want a fight so bad, fight me! I’ll make it your last one!

: Well fought, Amuro Ray! A performance worthy of a warrior who will bring the Black History to its conclusion!
: The battle between me and Char that Gwen foretold…?
: Indeed! We’re alike at our core, you and I! Men who live for war!
: Maybe you’re right - fighting is the only way I can change anything…
: But when I fight, it’s because I believe that it’s because something better will come after!
: Don’t you dare think I’m doing it for a fleeting moment of satisfaction like you!

: The Turn X is telling me about the fate you and the black Overman share!
: And what about it?
: Come with me, silver-haired one! Join my legions and we can bring forth the Black History together!
: No thanks! We’ve already had too much war for me!
: King Gainer and I, together, are going to get past you and run down that black Overman!

: He's working for the ghosts of the Black History now?
: Not quite, boy! If the Black History is an era of endless war, then I am its very incarnation!
: Now I raise the signal to battle in order to bring that Black History about!
: Not a chance! We'll fight and stop you!
: This world has a future now! We don't have time for ghosts of the past!

: I am glad! As long as I live, I will fight to my heart's content!
: You're the only one happy here, buddy! If you’re in with those ghosts, then go hang out with them inside those ruins!
: I shall not! For mine and the Turn X’s age begins here!

: This world is trying to achieve peace... There's no place in it for men like you or ghosts of the Black History!
: To live is to battle! If there is no place for us, we will claw one out!
: War comes from those who try to force their desires on others! We'll nip that evil in the bud right here!

: You’re misusing all your strength! We can’t entrust the world to you!
: That Moon Race boy! We who have forgotten the fight within us were living a living death!
: But I have rediscovered the radiance of battle and, thus, lived life as it should be!
: There are other ways to be happy in life! You have to see that!
: And if you refuse, then I’ll defeat you myself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfzm4IgDwJU

: The Turn X and I were beaten not once but twice?! Inconceivable!
: Those who live by the sword, die by the sword…! Accept your end, Gym Ghingnham!
: Still, this is precisely what I sought! A world that has the essence of combat at its core!
: AHAHAHAHAHA! It is now that my age comes to fruition!

: He refused to change his mind, even at the end…
: He was a man who believed solely on strength… An empty shell possessed by the ghosts of the Black History…
: While I refused to accept the world he desired – one that would lead to the death of so many lives.
: And, so, I’ll fight on in order to protect the world I put my faith in.

Once everything is dead, Quattro calls everyone back to the ships so we can chase after the Black Overman. We’ve received intel from various labs and they’ve pinpointed its location: the Japanese Alps.
Ryouma relates how the Break the World dumped pieces of ruins from various different worlds in the area. No one in Japan has gone to that inhospitable region since. A perfect home for ghosts of the Black History, Holland thinks.
Still, we know where it is now so all that is left is going there and taking that Overman out.
Meanwhile, Diana inwardly tells Gym that we aren’t headed for a future of destruction. And since she bears responsibility for him losing his way, she’ll atone for it all by helping end this forbidden power that twists the hearts of man.

Only one mission to go, folks, and then we’ll be done!

And it’s just an Overman, right? We’ve dealt with loads of those before. How tough could he possibly be…?

:unsmigghh: :unsmigghh: :unsmigghh:

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 28, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You used the purple-haired Sandman portrait on Sandman's first line fighting Gym, Brunom.

Also seeing this I can only think of how much fun Gym would have if he ended up on the G-Reco world. If he gets this excited in a world that knows but rejects war, imagine how he'd be in a world that had no idea of it...

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Considering how often SRW does the "you aren't yet strong enough to face what's coming" shtick, it's kind of hard to say Gym is wrong. Still, it's nice to see all the character development everyone has gone through come out and shine.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Finally time to actually get the info on King Gainer after the game has been cryptic about it the whole time. Also love that Kei basically implied Gym was only war crazy because he couldn't get laid.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, how is a Black Overman different from an OverDevil, again?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Glazius posted:

So, how is a Black Overman different from an OverDevil, again?

The OverDevil is a weapon made to hunt Fallen Angels while the other is the control core of a system meant to cleanse and restore the world after the Black History has left it in shambles. Other than the color and being classified as "Early Overman", they're completely different.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Honestly, I'm pretty sure that the Overdevil is just a particularly dangerous automated Overman.

Like, King Gainer also has the Overfreeze ability after all.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Brunom1 posted:

The OverDevil is a weapon made to hunt Fallen Angels while the other is the control core of a system meant to cleanse and restore the world after the Black History has left it in shambles. Other than the color and being classified as "Early Overman", they're completely different.

...Remind me, what was the OverDevil supposed to be for in the original show? When it presumably didn't cross over with Aquarion?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Remind me, what was the OverDevil supposed to be for in the original show? When it presumably didn't cross over with Aquarion?

I think, in that version, it's like Doc said: a very dangerous Overman.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

Brunom1 posted:

I think, in that version, it's like Doc said: a very dangerous Overman.

I'm not sure if that makes him more or less dangerous than in Z.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Overdevil is just a relic of an ancient past whose power was enough to freeze the world. It's sort of like Turn-A Gundam that way. It's an apocalyptic-level weapon if left unchecked.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

OK, I've started working on the last mission but I'd like a new page since it might be a big one.

So, I think the best way to do this is with a small preparation for the eventual MX LP.

The game has a favorite system like in W. Unlike it, however, you can only pick one a series and those units will enjoy a boost to exp, money and have extra upgrade slots (!). Thus, I'll be letting y'all decide on which one will be getting that extra love and, hopefully, your votes will push us into the next page and beyond!

Here what you can choose from:

• Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack (it's like in this game - no plot, no Sazabi)
  • Mobile Fighter G Gundam (Fair warning: set in the post-series. That means no Master Asia. :qq:)
  • Mazinger Z
  • Great Mazinger
  • UFO Robo Grendizer
  • Getter Robo G
  • Brave Leader Daimos
  • Raideen the Brave
  • Metal Armor Dragonar
  • Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos
  • Hades Project Zeorymer
  • Martian Successor Nadesico: Prince of Darkness (BOO)
  • GEAR Fighter Dendoh
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion
  • RahXephon
  • Banpresto Originals

Pick one out of these. The vote will last two days, whereupon I reckon I'll have the update all good to go.

Do note that if PoD wins, the whole LP is cancelled.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jul 5, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

OK, I've started working on the last mission but I'd like a new page since it might be a big one.

So, I think the best way to do this is with a small preparation for the eventual MX LP.

The game has a favorite system like in W. Unlike it, however, you can only pick one a series and those units will enjoy a boost to exp, money and have extra upgrade slots (!). Tttthus, I'll be letting y'all decide on which one will be getting that extra love and, hopefully, your votes will push us into the next page and beyond!

Here what you can choose from:

• Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
  • Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack (it's like in this game - no plot, no Sazabi)
  • Mobile Fighter G Gundam (Fair warning: set in the post-series. That means no Master Asia. :qq:)
  • Mazinger Z
  • Great Mazinger
  • UFO Robo Grendizer
  • Getter Robo G
  • Brave Leader Daimos
  • Raideen the Brave
  • Metal Armor Dragonar
  • Machine Robo: Revenge of Cronos
  • Hades Project Zeorymer
  • Martian Successor Nadesico: Prince of Darkness (BOO)
  • GEAR Fighter Dendoh
  • RahXephon
  • Banpresto Originals

Pick one out of these. The vote will last either for two days, whereupon I reckon I'll have the update all good to go.

Do note that if you waste one of these slots with PoD, the whole LP is cancelled.

EDIT:

GEAR FIGHTER DENDOH

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 4, 2016

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Eeergh, wait! I think you can only choose one, actually! :v:

Edit: Yup, just popped the game and confirmed. W let you get three but MX only gives you one. Oh, well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

Eeergh, wait! I think you can only choose one, actually! :v:

Edit: Yup, just popped the game and confirmed. W let you get three but MX only gives you one. Oh, well.

I think MXP might have given you three or I might be misremembering W too.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 4, 2016

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
It's MX Portable that gives 3 yeah.

I'll be voting for Gundam ZZ of course.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The real choice is to always go with the Originals, but just this one time I'll say that G Gundam will make good use of the bonus, because it has multiple units and they have combo attacks with each other.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Normally I'd vote for the choice the LPer doesn't want just to test how far they're willing to go, but that'd mean that I have to accept Prince of Darkness existed and that's not happening.

G Gundam.

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
Banpresto Originals

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The last update, huh... how many years ago did Dr. Pepper start this wave off with that OG thing?

I've never seen Dendoh but I think it's probably adorable in that way very earnest toy robots for little boys are (and I think there's some shenanigan you can do with one of the data weapons?) so I'm voting for it.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
So you're starting the preparations for the MX LP? Good luck Brunom1!!!

Oh wait, my pick? I want to say G Gundam but since Master Asia's not there.... let's go with RahXephon since, if I'm right, this is the only time that series ever appears in a SRW game.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I'll go with Gundam ZZ too. Awful characters, but nothing's stopping you from putting someone better in the ZZ/Qubeleys.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Gotta go for my homeboys over in Metal Armor Dragonar.

Seriously, Banpresto. Bring them back already so I can ride with Kaine and Tapp again. :argh:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Caphi posted:

The last update, huh... how many years ago did Dr. Pepper start this wave off with that OG thing?

I've never seen Dendoh but I think it's probably adorable in that way very earnest toy robots for little boys are (and I think there's some shenanigan you can do with one of the data weapons?) so I'm voting for it.

You're going to be both pleased and surprised.

GEAR Fighter Dendoh all day every day. Was there ever any doubt? (although G Gundam is probably the better gameplay choice given how many units are affected)

Son Ryo posted:

I'll go with Gundam ZZ too. Awful characters, but nothing's stopping you from putting someone better in the ZZ/Qubeleys.

One of my favorite bits of MX is the different pilot lines for Twin Funnel.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
I'll have to say Metal Armor Dragonar.

I just like those units in MX.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
I don't care if there's no Master Asia, I'm still voting G Gundam

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
G Gundam is the only correct choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Can I just say how loving stoked I am to see an MX LP? It's been something I've been putting off for years due to emulation/capture problems.

I love how Counters and Shields work in it. I love its version of Maximum Break. I love the series choices. The only things I don't like are how few Pilot Skills there are and the lack of unique Ace Bonuses, but MX literally predates the invention of the latter (and the former is still kind of fucky even now). Also, the pre-upgrade original music sucks.

• Locked thread