Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

No more loving around tiny picture bullshit like I did before. We're here to win. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

This thread is cool good job guys.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

yeah the last one had promise but some of the reports got too wrapped up in making fun of the message-board reports of that era, this one is much more readable AAAAAND both groups are doing really cool stuff (that sometimes breaks the time-space continuum) now that WWF has gotten its poo poo together.

Great stuff, gonna keep reading, really loving it all.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

harperdc posted:

yeah the last one had promise but some of the reports got too wrapped up in making fun of the message-board reports of that era, this one is much more readable AAAAAND both groups are doing really cool stuff (that sometimes breaks the time-space continuum) now that WWF has gotten its poo poo together.

Great stuff, gonna keep reading, really loving it all.

All things considered, having DiBiase fund Money in the Bank is loving genius.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Nitro/RAW should run tonight - it's also the deadline for your potential contract negotiations (see IRC topic) - so get your writing done/votes in in the next hour or so.

Also, with all new signees debuted from our free agent "event", the public needs to start paying attention to WCW's Brian James, and WWF's Dave Taylor and Jushin Thunder Liger - I'll do a public vote sometime after this month's In Your House to see which company did a better job bringing in their pilfered workers.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
WWF, come down to IRC

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Evil Badman posted:

All things considered, having DiBiase fund Money in the Bank is loving genius.

I completely agree, and given the benefactor, there's already ways they can shift between plan A, B and C depending on what gets over. after a rough start they've done some fun things, but still seeing things get pushed waaaay forward in the timeline is kinda funny.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

harperdc posted:

I completely agree, and given the benefactor, there's already ways they can shift between plan A, B and C depending on what gets over. after a rough start they've done some fun things, but still seeing things get pushed waaaay forward in the timeline is kinda funny.

To be fair, this is the timeline where WWF goes out of business.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Usenet user silverscreensensation@hotmail.com posted:

Just got back from Raw.

5 Dark matches:
-Aldo, Horowitz, and Brooklyn Brawler/Kaientai, Kaientai go over, Hakushi pins Brawler in a bad match. Nobody cares about Kaientai. Like at all.
-Dave Taylor/Gary Albright, Taylor goes over in a better match than the previous, but still not super.
-Jushin Liger and Yokozuna/JC Ice and Ace Steel, Yoko goes over after Liger Ligerbombs Ace Steel into a Banzai drop from Yoko. Worse than the previous one, but not as bad as Kaientai's
-Warrior/Backlund, Warrior goes over in a surprisingly good match.
-TMPT/Robert Ford and Kaz Hayashi, TMPT go over, HHH pins Kaz in a eh match.

Then the cameras started as Goldust debuted his new interview segment: Inside The Actors' Studio. His first guests: HBK, Jericho, and Piper. Jericho and Piper talked about how Vader ambushed them after their match last raw, and how low he is for doing so. Jericho started to mention that Vader seems to jump him every time he gets near Cornette's crew, and Owen in particular. HBK, obviously nervous and wary, talked about how Cornette always seems to have the element of surprise on his side. To end the segment, he asked each man their least favorite word. Roddy answered "smoke", Jericho answered "Cornette", and before HBK could answer, Taker yelled "BOO" and he and Goldust attacked the trio. Gorilla came out to make a main event tag match, HBK and Jericho versus Goldust and Taker. So it seems Taker is straight up heel now. I was marking out, it was P.E.R.F.E.C.T.

Dave Finlay/Justin Bradshaw, Finlay went over in a decent match. He seems to really click with Hillbilly Jim and Bradshaw. After, there was a backstage segment where Dok Hendrix asked Hillbilly Jim and Finlay why they've been working together. Finlay answered, "We both love drinkin', love fightin', and hate shavin'. Why not hang out?" This was less good.

Tom Prichard and Sunny cut a promo about how he's saddened that Candido had to leave the company, but he hopes him the best in his future endeveors, Sunny said she'll hang around Prichard for a while until Candido gets his head together. Prichard followed that up saying until then Sunny can manage him since he's going to be defending his IC belt a lot since Prichard wants to be known as a fighting champion. After this Blackman's music hit signaling the start of the next match.
Tom Prichard/Steve Blackman for the IC title, Prichard went over. Is it just me, or is Tom Pritchard just not very good? The promo stunk, the match stunk, he's just not good.

Dave Taylor hype video: we see Dave's workout regimen: he runs up and down a large hill with a backpack full of firewood on his back. He does one-handed pushups. He arm wrestles a yeti. Dave Taylor: A Real Man's Man. Eh.

Bulldog/Holly, Bulldog goes over. Bulldog was off his game, but it was decent all the same.

Skunkrocker cut a promo before his match. "123 Kid, I did what I did weeks ago because I'm not afraid to stand alone. You have your backstage buddies, but I'm not the kind of guy who makes friends. I thought I had a friend in Shawn Michaels, but he ended up kicking me through a barbershop window. I thought I had a friend in Razor Ramon, another friend of Shawn's, but he left me too. I thought I had friends in WWF's corporate offices, but they left me on the street the second I got in a little trouble with the "authorities". And after I had gotten through all that, I thought I had a friend in you. But the last thing I need right now is a friend. I'm done working with people, working for people. I'm my own man now, chasing what I want, and nobody's going to stop me."
Skunkrocker/Scott Taylor in a MITB Qualifying match, Skunkrocker went over with the Stink Bomb, a top rope powerbomb. I like how they're willing to go shooty with these promos, but neither the promo or the match was very good.

Edge and Jake Roberts come out to challenge Mankind. Jake talks about how if there's anyone who can match Mankind's darkness, it's him, and if there's anyone who can match his fire, it's Edge, one of WWF's finest young men.
Mankind/Edge, Mankind went over with the Claw. These were OK, but Edge just isn't good. He looked awful during the promo, and the match was a squash where he got like no offense. I don't think we'll be seeing too much more of Edge.

Rick Martel/Tatanka, Tatanka went over when Sycho Sid storms in and attacks Martel. Then Sycho Sid cuts a promo on Martel. "You talk about beauty, pretty boy, you talk about beauty a lot. You talk about how beautiful national parks are, and the little puppy dogs, and those poor ol' sick kiddies. Well, those sick kids can go screw as far as I'm concerned! Y'see, I've never known what it's like to be pretty. I'm just a big ugly bastard. A big ugly bastard who beats the hell out of little pretty boys like you. And at Money In The Bank, I'll beat you, and beat you, and beat you s'more, until you ain't a pretty boy no more, you're just an ugly bastard like me." After that, Sid kept attacking Martel until officials had to be called in to attend to Martel's injuries. These were good, too, but Sid wasn't super good in his segment, I think he was trying to improv a little, but it didn't help.

Cornette cut a promo about how amazing Owen and Vader are, and how HBK doesn't stand a chance at Money In The Bank. Then we had Vader/3 Count, where Vader went over, pinning Jammin' Jamie Noble, an Owen/HBK video package, and Owen/123 Kid, Owen went over. The Vader squash was bad, but the rest was excellent.

Then the main: HBK and Jericho(with Piper) v. Goldust and Taker, HBK went over after Jericho distracted Taker on the outside, allowing HBK to Sweet Chin Music Goldust and get the quick pin.
After, Warrior ran in to try to attack Goldust, but got picked up for a chokeslam by Taker. Michaels hit SCM on Taker before he can hit the Chokeslam on Warrior, leading to a big pull-apart brawl to end Raw. The main was fan-loving-tastic, with Goldust and Undertaker working amazingly as a team.

Overall, Raw was a C+ show, not too big of a drop in quality from recent weeks, but there was a lot of dross in the middle.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 7, 2014

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

((Brace for a wall of text :V ))

quote:

<USENET REPORT FROM USER: KliqCoolDaddy@aol.com>

Hey chumps, bet you never thought you'd see a report from THIS guy again. What, just because I run the hottest Livejournal on the internet for wrestling dirt and news AND make time to serve as an independently contracted bodyguard for the future WCW Champ you think I don't have time for you? Well, you think right, because this is for me. My buddy Scott Hall and I were in the stands for WCW Monday Nitro, and the show was so entertaining we decided NOT to clobber some chump on a whim! That's the biggest accolade we've got to give!

The show opened with a quartet of dark matches. First up was singles action with "Mongo" McMichael literally burying some flippydo named El Dandy with a Tombstone. The match was almost as one-sided as it was mediocre. Next up was Terry Gordy, who still hasn't shown up on TV, taking on... one of the Nasty Boys, if I said I knew which one I'd be lying. The match was a squash for the most part, Gordy won easy with a backdrop driver. Then came something very interesting: a match between Madusa and Sister Sherri! Just seeing two women squaring off wasn't something I ever expected in a WCW ring, but on top of all of that the match was actually pretty decent! Madusa wasn't Women's Champion up north for nothing, and Sherri put in some solid offense as well. The crowd hated it just because it was women in the ring, but those Florida Beach Bums wouldn't know good wrestling if it bashed their brains in with a chair. The last dark match was a lengthy affair where that new kid in the skater clothes Raven knocked Blitzkrieg around. He won with the Eventide DDT, but I wasn't exactly cheering at the end. Thankfully the pyro hit and the cameras turned on before he started reading poetry.

MONDAY NITRO went LIVE right on time, and it started off in the best possible way: ARN ANDERSON, UNCROWNED WCW CHAMPION! Double A came down to the ring with his main man Chris Benoit and Benoit's main squeeze Woman flanking him. Anderson picked up a mic, and laid down the law for the crowd: in six days' time at Daytona Beach, Florida, he would face The Giant for the WCW title, and he would win. There is no question, no room for doubt, and nothing anyone can do to stop it. The Horsemen will seize power, and that power will echo across WCW. At Bash at the Beach, the future of WCW will change forever. And Arn Anderson will be the man who makes that mark upon history.

After finishing that, he became a bit more cheerful. He noted that as upcoming WCW Champion, he thinks it's important to make sure that when he takes the title the Horsemen have a completely clean slate, so there can be no questions left unanswered about their dominance. He's already decided that his newest employees, The Outsiders Hall and Nash (We were marking out so hard for ourselves when he said that man, you don't even know), will be the ones to finally erase the embarrassment that is Ric Flair, but there's another thorn in their side. The man who pinned Flair and was the original source of the humiliation that led to Arn taking over: The Lone Wolf, Barry Windham. Arn refused to let that stain on the Horseman name continue to go unavenged. He's going to entrust to elimination of that peon to the man he trusts most: his new Enforcer, Chris Benoit. Benoit took the mike and thanked Anderson for the opportunity to prove that he is a true Horseman, and that he won't regret the decision. He also noted that Windham was once a part of the Four Horsemen, that Anderson considered "Big BW" an ally. But the Lone Wolf decided that he was bigger than the Horsemen, and for that Benoit was going to make him tap out and prove once and for all that the Lone Wolf is nothing but a toothless mutt. They drop their mikes and flash the Four Fingers the crowd. Benoit seemed a smidge out of his depth taking center stage, and Arn was a tough act to follow, but Woman being there helped sell his pressence. She's a real boon to the kid.

The camera's cut backstage where we saw Forever Hurt Hennig and his minion Rick Rude watch the New Horsemen on a monitor. Henning shakes his head and tells Rude that he doesn't have a problem with Benoit vs. Windham or Anderson getting his title shot, but is concerned about the Outsiders (MARKING OUT BRO), non-WCW employees, taking on Ric Flair and his plus-one. Rude shrugs it off and suggests washing their hands of it entirely. Me and Scott's ears perked up at that, and what Rude said next was like Christmas come early: Whether it's a tag match or a handicap match, WCW will consider the match and unsanctioned "lights out" match to avoid liability if the Outsiders put Flair in the hospital...or the morgue. Henning looks away uncomfortably, but nods slightly. "Lights Out it is," he concurs. I owe Rick Rude a beer.

Yet another entry in the Flippydo World Whatever Tournament was next, but at least this time it was guys with SOME meat on their bones: Eddie Guerrero and Dean Malenko. Eddie wasted plenty of time jumping around while Malenko was a grappling machine, truly the man of 1000 holds. Eddie almost had the win at one point, but decided he wanted to be a cool guy and win flashy with a Black Tiger Bomb, a sitdown power bomb that starts off looking like a ripoff of Scott's finisher. Fortunately Malenko punished the idiot for showing off with a reversal into a nice simple Texas Cloverleaf, making him tap like the punk he is. Here's hoping Malenko brings SOME legitimacy to this Jumpyweight belt!

Afterwards, we were graced with a comedy act: Ric Flair begging the Steiners to help him fight us on Sunday. He tried to guilt them into it, reminding Rick that they were the ones who put the beating on him that started this mess, but the Steiners were unmoved. Rick says that Flair made his own problems, and they had no interest in sticking their necks out for him now that he was getting a little karma for years of being a first rate tool. Scott nods, and suggests the "Dirtiest Player in the Game," start digging if he wants to get out of that grave. The look on his face was priceless at that one.

The view switched to Dusty Rhodes interviewing VK Wallstreet backstage, asking why he seemed so pleased the American Males were defeated last week when he hopes to take one of them under his wing. Wallstreet explained that it just goes to show the motivating power of money; now that he is back in possession of his briefcase of cash, the American Males are back to their losing ways. He promised that, for the Male smart enough to accept Wallstreet's offer, their luck will change. The segment was actually surprisingly solid considering how little traction this story has been getting.

I wish I could say the next bit was also a comedy act, but it was more of a tragedy. Mean Gene announced a scheduled interview with James + James, but only Brian James was there, decked out in a flannel shirt and failing miserably at attempting to squeeze juice from an orange into a glass with his bare hands. Okerlund asks what he's doing (because he's an idiot and completely oblivious to painfully direct parody) and whether he is focused on his upcoming tag team contest, and James, in a very hammy British accent, explains that orange juice provides essential nutrients that will fuel him to victory in his upcoming match. After all, even a real man's man requires sustenance. Suddenly, a figure in a terrible bear costume lumbers into frame and assists with squeezing the juice into the glass. I try to keep the sandwich I had for lunch down as Okerlund remarks on the ridiculousness of the situation and asks what the meaning of all this is. James explains that, while he and James Maritato may commonly be known as James + James, "tonight, we are..." James Maritato removes his bear mask just long enough to conclude, "...The Bear Necessities!" He replaces the mask, and Brian James pours the fresh-squeezed OJ onto Okerlund's head. He exclaims "Cheerio!" and departs with Bearitato in tow, leaving Okerlund to mutter in frustration. The crowd was following suit. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh at Gene having his suit ruined.

The Bear Necessities (James + James) came out in their idiotic getups to defeat the American Males. How did a man in a bearsuit take it to a boulder like Bagwell? VK Wallstreet casually sauntered down the aisle, counting a fat stack of bills. Brian James to hit a pumphandle slam on Riggs for the pin, and Bagwell was so distracted by the cash he didn't even notice it happened. Now THAT'S comedy. Still, the match was a mess.

Next up, we return to something actually funny: Ric Flair's quest for someone to save his hide! He asks an off-camera person for help with his match, saying if he's going to survive it he's going to need all the firepower he can get. The camera pans over to reveal Ricky Steamboat! Didn't see that coming. Ricky jokes that if you want firepower, a Dragon is the best person to ask. They share a laugh, but Steamboat regretfully declines. When Flair asks why, Ricky recounts some of their feuds in the 70's and 80's, mentioning the scars Flair inflicted on his face and the title matches that left him beaten and broken. He says that after all these years and all their battles, he can't help but have respect for Flair, and even considers him a friend. But some wounds never heal, and he can't trust him as a tag team partner. "Frankly Ric, I've known you too long to have any faith in you." Wow, that was brutal. In the way a football to the groin on America's Funniest Home Videos is brutal. I was in stitches as Flair sulked off.

The camera cut to the locker room, where me and Hall are happy to see fellow WCW audience member, Lance Storm! He may be dumb enough to work for WCW, but at least he appreciates quality entertainment. He's backstage with his friend, Christian Cage, and guy who's been dominating dark matches and thus nobody cares about. They're discussing the Nobility. Storm notes how exciting it is that they've both become WCW wrestlers, but that he feels nervous. Christian got a contract just because he's so talented (get a room before you become a couple of Canadian Mounties please...), but Storm had to fight for it, and that fight made him some dangerous enemies. He's not sure he can handle it on his own. Christian tells his friend he shouldn't worry about those dumb Brits, that Storm is twice the wrestler of any of them including their "king," and that he'll make Canada proud out there (Seriously. There's a Motel 6 right up the road. Order some syrup.) Storm thanks Cage, but expresses concern again just because there's so many of them to worry about, and doesn't know how any one man could win if all six of them attack. "I guess you're right Lance. But how would you feel about two men?" (I snickered at that) "I'll be in your corner tonight. Besides, I always wanted to be on TV." They share a laugh and Storm's nerves seem to be gone. The audience could not have cared less. Except the pudgy girl in glasses next to us who kept whispering "now kiss..." Your first fan, gentlemen.

Lance Strom (with Christian Cage) beats Sir Norman Smiley clean. The Nobles try to interfer several times, but Cage keeps them in check with a hockey stick while Storm wrestles. I have to admit, that was kind of cool. Finally culminated in a full on 4-on-1 brawl when Storm locks in the Canadian Maple Leaf. Christian holds the Nobles just long enough for Smiley to tap out, then both men beat a hasty retreat. A good match, but the crowd was asleep. Dumb marks can't appreciate anything.

Unfortunately, the poor baby fans weren't about the get a reprieve from their criminal lack of Macho Man or whatever they like, because Meng took on Billy Kidman. Meng won with the Tongan Death Grip and looked like a star out there, but impressively Kidman puts up a good fight. Not bad for a kid who was a flippydo before it was cool. Raven is on commentary, putting over Kidman's untapped talents, though he refuses to elaborate on his mysterious recent assaults. I can't say I like Mr. Cutoffs for beating people and trying to lay the blame on us, but it's not like those idiots didn't have it coming, so bygones.

What came next even I couldn't call funny. The camera finds Sting arguing with Luger over the locker room phone (dingleberries). Luger wants him to be in his corner during the main event tonight. Sting says that helping against the Nobility was a special circumstance, and they still haven't settled their issues. He'll have Savage so Sting is staying out of it. Sting messes with his locker for a moment after hanging up and just when you think this episode of the General Hospital is over, Flair appears looking obviously distressed and desperate.

He says he's come to ask "a good old friend," to be his tag partner at Bash at the Beach. Sting can't believe what he's hearing and asks "Are you kidding me?" He launches into a rant about all the things Flair has done to him over the years. He says that once he considered Flair a " good old friend." He didn't stop believing in Flair when he kicked him out of the Four Horsemen for refusing to give up his slot as a number one contender for one of Flair's old championships. He didn't stop believing when Flair locked him in a cage to avoid a match with him. He didn't stop believing when the Horsemen tried to literally steal his status as world champion by painting up an imposter and having him lie down for the Horsemen. He didn't stop believing when Flair started calling himself The Black Scorpion and attacking him backstage. He didn't stop believing in Flair when he took Sting's only shot at "that masked freakshow," and made himself world champion again in the process back at Starcade '93. He didn't even stop believing in Flair on the very first Monday Nitro when the Nature Boy and his Enforcer had beat him to a bloody pulp for NO REASON AT ALL. No, none of those things made him give up on Ric Flair, because The Stinger is a good old friend, and always lets bygones be bygones.

Flair is on the ropes after that list, but then comes the deathblow. "And then came last October. Halloween Havoc. Do you remember Nature Boy? Do you remember how you came to me, as a FRIEND, and told me that Arn Anderson had betrayed you? That you needed someone you could trust to take him on? Do you remember how I went out to that ring ALONE? Thinking that MY FRIEND RIC FLAIR was hurt, but all I had to do was hold the line and he would come help me? WHAT HAPPENED THEN RIC?! WHAT HAPPENED TO RIC FLAIR'S GOOD OLD FRIEND STING WHEN HE HELPED HIM FIGHT ARN ANDERSON?!" Flair is silent. "You stabbed me in the back. You tricked me so that you could reform the Four Horsemen on my broken body." He stares Flair in the eyes until the other man can't take his shame and turns away. "I'm tired of being a good old friend. Now get out." I'll be honest, even I felt bad for Flair for a half-second. I don't think I've ever seen a verbal beating like that.

Back in the ring, future former WCW Champion The Giant defeats Big Bubba Rogers with One Man Gang and James Mitchell at ringside. Giant looked strong during the contest, as if that's hard for a guy that big, and easily thwarted interference from One Man Gang and chokeslammed Rogers for the victory. Post-match, Giant grabbed a mike and addressed Anderson backstage. "I hope you were watching that match, Horsemen. One Man Gang may only be a name, but I figured he and his partner were the best way to send you the message: I'm not afraid of you, or any of your little friends. I don't know what you want to call yourself these days, but we all know that you used to be The Enforcer. Well, you may be a lot LARGER than you used to be, and as a result you decided to hand that title down to a tiny man like an old sweater. But you're not even close to big enough to take down A GIANT! So go ahead. Bring Benoit, and Nash, and Hall. Bring your Spinebuster, bring the Crippler Crossface, the Flying Headbutt, the Jackknife, the Outsider's Edge, bring every move you've got and then bring a whole bunch more. Because even if you manage to find the strength to use them on this 500 pound beast, I still won't break! And when I get my hand around your throat... and believe me Anderson, it's going to happen... I will retain the WCW Championship! I will stop your New Horsemen in their tracks! WELCOME... TO YOUR END!" This guys balls are certainly giant, I'll give him that. Calling out me and Scott isn't something most people would do. It's going to feel good when we put him in his place.

Next up, it was time for some filler! Ron Simmons defeats Jerry Sags to retain the United States Championship with a huge spinebuster. We all know that nobody likes the US Champion or the revolving door of identicle US Title Feuds, but drat if I'm not a mark for this guy. He's a beast. Teddy Long gets a microphone after it's over and begins to talk up Ron Simmons, but Simmons takes the mic from Long, telling Konnan directly that, while he generally likes to let Long do the talking for him, he personally accepts Konnan's no-countout challenge for Bash at the Beach. He says he'll pin Konnan and leave no doubt that he is the better man. Now this is a US Champion I'd never walk out on. Too bad the crowd was lukewarm for him.

Road Warrior Hawk was up next and defeated Diamond Dallas Page when Stevie Ray interfered behind the referee's back. He accidentally slap-jacking Page in an attempt to mess with Hawk, allowing the tag champ to get the pin after a big running clothesline. Gotta love when plans go astray. Post-match, Booker T joins Stevie Ray in an effort to beat down Hawk, cornering him, but Road Warrior Animal stalks out wielding a ladder, causing Harlem Heat to flee. I don't really care who wins the tag belts on Sunday since me and Scott could crush any team in this sad little house, but it should be fun to watch those morons kill each other on ladders. The crowd seemed about as ambivalent.

After the ring emptied, Ric Flair came to the ring looking sullen and depressed. I have to admit, I was caught off-guard by his body language and didn't know what to expect when he picked up a mic. He spoke very earnestly to the crowd without much of his usual energy. "I got to hear a lot of hard things the last few days. Things about the kind of man I've been over the years. Things you don't want to listen too, things you want to believe are lies, or jealousy, or anything but what they are most of the time: the truth. I heard how I've been a scumbag. A monster. The kind of man who treats his friends like garbage, and his enemies like they're not worthy of shining his shoes. The kind of man who doesn't know what the word respect means. And the truth is... every one of those accusations is true. And now I'm paying the price."

"You don't get to the top clean. It's not possible. Every single one of us who made anything out of our lives stepped on somebody to get there. And when you're... heh... when you're ridin' in limosines. Or flyin' jets. Or stealin' kisses. Or wheelin', or dealin', or just being a son-of-a-gun... well, if you get that far you're not just unclean. You're downright dirty. You're without a doubt the Dirtiest Player in the Game. And for a long, long time, you won't care. All you'll care about is the money. And the fancy food, and the parties, and the women and everything that makes life wonderful. But then a day will come when your sins are visited upon you. For the Nature Boy Ric Flair, it seems that day is going to be this Sunday."

"I don't want to jaw all night, so I'll make this plain for you. I have been unable to find ANYONE in the locker room willing to be my tag team partner at Bash at the Beach. And I have nobody to blame for that but myself. Therefore, I accept the terms laid out by Arn Anderson, and will face Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, the members of the New Horsemen who call themselves the Outsiders, in an unsanctioned Handicap Match." He was like a sad little puppy. I mean, I'm still going to beat him into a fine paste, but darn if even I didn't start to feel a small tear form at that wonderful little speech. And then he ruined it all by jumping right back into the comedy act. Flair took a deep breath as the crowd cheered for his sad self, then got a hard look in his eyes. "BUT! If any of you think for one second that I'm giving up, you're dead wrong! I'm not walking to my execution! I'm walking to the biggest, baddest, nastiest fight of my life! AND I'M GONNA FIGHT! SCOTT HALL! KEVIN NASH! YOU BETTER BRING EVERYTHING YOU GOT! BECAUSE AT BASH AT THE BEACH, THE NATURE BOY IS GONNA BE THE MAN... WHEN HE BEATS BOTH MEN! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" The man must already have brain damage. Maybe a few more blows will fix it at the Beach. Regardless, the crowd was on fire for him.

Finally, after Flair was done making a fool out of himself to the sound of idiot's cheers, it was time for the main event! Hulk Hogan, in a rare moment of either lucidity or so much rage for Savage that he didn't care about spotlight sharing, teamed with King Steven Regal against Lex Luger and Randy Savage. It was a real back-and-forth contest with everyone looking good, although Savage and Luger were not much of a tag pairing. Savage survived the Regal Stretch during the bout with a pretty epic rope grab. It ended with Luger hot tagging in and snapping Hogan into a surprise Torture Rack, but Regal made the save with a monster chop, allowing the Hulkster to hit the big legdrop for the pinfall.

Hogan retreated from the ring after his win to avoid a physical confrontation with Savage, who remained in the ring to check on the possibly hurt Luger. Hogan held up his "Hulkamania," Title at the top of the ramp, and King Regal holds up the V for Victory at ringside. Both heels ignore each other, full of arrogance and lost in their own little delusional worlds, as Nitro closes. Nice to see chumps like Micro Man and Half-a-Package get a little humility sent their way.

Overall, aside from all my roaring laughter, Flair's humiliation and the brutality of US CHAMP RON SIMMONS, I was snoozing. But the average fan would probably give this mess a B- and call is a great lead in to Bash at the Beach. I'll say this much, after seeing Flair I can't wait to finally get into a WCW ring.

Expect something special in Daytona Beach.

-KN

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I Before E posted:

Skunkrocker went over with the Stink Bomb, a top rope powerbomb.

:allears:
I'm awesome.

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

Skunkrocker posted:

:allears:
I'm awesome.

My favorite Skunkrocker-ism is still "mess with the Skunk, you get the spray!" *gray mist*

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Q7kid posted:

My favorite Skunkrocker-ism is still "mess with the Skunk, you get the spray!" *gray mist*

No no no, take it from my old Xbox Live account

MESS WITH BEST
SMELL LIKE THE REST

:suicide:

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009
BASH AT THE BEACH CONTROL CENTER

Join us live in Daytona Beach, FL this Sunday, July 7th, 1996, for the following line-up of excellent matches!

THE LEADER OF THE NEW HORSEMEN VS. THE MAN WHO TOOK DOWN AN ARMY
WCW World Heavyweight Championship Match
The Giant (c) vs. Arn Anderson

ONE MAN'S DESPERATE FIGHT FOR SURVIVAL
"Lights Out" Handicap Match
The Outsiders vs. Ric Flair

WITH EGOMANIA RUNNING WILD, CAN THE MADNESS STOP IT ONCE AND FOR ALL?
AWA World Heavyweight ("Hulkamania") Championship Match
Hulk Hogan (c) vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage

WHO WILL CLIMB TO THE TOP OF THE TAG TEAM DIVISION?
WCW World Tag Team Championship - Ladder Match
The Road Warriors (c) vs. Harlem Heat

CAN FRIENDS DIVIDED WITHSTAND A BRITISH INVASION?
WCW Television Championship - Triple Threat Match
Lex Luger (c) vs. Sting vs. King Steven Regal

NO BACKING DOWN
WCW United States Championship - No Count-Out Match
Ron Simmons (c) vs. Konnan

THE NEW HORSEMEN HUNT A LONE WOLF
Chris Benoit vs. Barry Windham

AND MUCH MORE! CALL YOUR LOCAL CABLE PROVIDER!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That was probably an ok nitro, but I'll never know since I tapped out at the second or third flippydoo

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Swagger Dagger posted:

That was probably an ok nitro, but I'll never know since I tapped out at the second or third flippydoo

When Kevin Nash uses a catchphrase, that phrase is over. It doesn't GET over, it just is.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I'm excited to see what nonsense happens during the Ric Flair / Outsiders match; Ron Simmons better retain, and go the New Horsemen.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

Ron Simmons better retain, and go the New Horsemen.
You need to recount the number of new horsemen.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

quote:

Welcome to Prograps Unlimited, Issue 4!

Good evening marks! We have juicy tidbits from WCW and WWF going into this Bash at the Beach weekend, so let's get right to it:

Ratings Update: RAW earns a 2.33, down from last week. Nitro gains viewers, up to a 3.05 this week.

Kwang Bang / Men on Omission: WWF seems to be tired of burying Savio Vega, as they have released him effective immediately. Sir Mo has also left, following Mabel's lead.

Skipped Script: Rumor has it that a certain WCW talent is frustrated because the writing team keeps denying his request to improvise promos during his appearances. It's easy to see why they're saying no--the rest of the locker room couldn't order room service without a script--but with recent morale problems can they afford to shut down their talent for much longer?

Mortis Rigor: Yeah, I'm reusing that joke, but WCW's writers are nothing if not rigorous with regard to their Mortis character. Cobra didn't cut it and so he's been sent back to development. Hopefully they'll figure it out eventually, because Glacier--who we've now identified as ECW alumnus Mike Awesome--can't stay in dark matches forever.

The World is Watching: After re-signing Bret Hart, WWF is now working hard to keep British Bulldog on board as well. Sources say that the company is looking to expand into Canada and the United Kingdom, and so both superstars will be a big part of that effort.

Because Good is Dumb: Apparently, almost every match at Bash at the Beach was originally written in favor of the heels, and this isn't sitting well with WCW management. We haven't heard anything about the rewritten plans yet, but expect at least a few of the company's faces to come out on top this Sunday.

PWU BREAKING EXCLUSIVE: Details are just coming in regarding a big-name wrestler that WCW has managed to snatch from WWF. Obviously my source has to be very careful since this is a big acquisition for WCW, but we have been told that the deciding factor for the deal was a guaranteed title run. We'll keep you updated as more details come in.

Check in every Tuesday for the biggest news in the Monday Night War!

S.K.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Well drat

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Usenet user hartthrob1981@prodigy.net posted:

Just got back from the Superstars taping.

We had 5 dark matches to start off. Whatever beef you may have with WWF, they sure give the live crowd a show. First Dave Taylor, the Real Man's Man, defeated Samu in an eh match. Then the Dudleyz defeated 123 Kid after a 3D through a table on the outside while the ref was distracted by Uncle Zeb jingling his keys in a pretty lame match, and Kid didn't look all that pleased about his circumstances. Then Kaientai lost to Phatu, Roddy Piper, and Chris Jericho in a pretty fun match, better than we've seen out of Kaientai lately. Then Kid came out yet again for a squash match against Tatanka, which he lost. Then Bradshaw and Bart Gunn had an eh match, I think it could have been more interesting if Bart had given it his A-game.

When the cameras came on, we had the Ultimate Warrior on Piper's Pit, talking about Goldust and Taker. Then Owen Hart came out to gloat to Piper. Piper got mad, Warrior tried to be the voice of reason(a phrase I never thought I'd type), before Owen hit him with a chair. Tonight's main event: Owen Hart/Ultimate Warrior!
Then we had a Dave Taylor video package, where he juggled chainsaws. It was a fun little package, but nobody seems to care about him. Then Jushin Liger beat Ace Steel in a match that could have been fun if Ace Steel wasn't off his game.
Then we got a skit with Goldust and the Ultimate Warrior. "Goldust and Taker skit: MISSION: INEVITABLE, A Shattered Dreams Production. Undertaker is in some air ducts, in a spoof on that one scene from Mission Impossible with the MITB briefcase in place of the computer, and Goldust talking to him from headquarters. However, when Taker tries to lower himself, he simply falls. Goldust turns to the camera, mugging, and says ""well, you know what they say, if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself."" and laughs. He then walks into the room and takes the briefcase, leading his Undertaker after him as he walks out.Then there was a little text card like the old James Bond movies: GOLDUST AND UNDERTAKER WILL RETURN IN MONEY IN THE BANK. Really fun little video.

Then Bulldog and Vader beat Sugah Shane Helms and Jammin' Jamie Noble in a decent enough squash. After that, the Dudleyz cut a promo on the Gunns and TMPT, talking about how they ain't done with them yet, and if anyone is getting a title shot at Money In The Bank, it had better be them, or more tables, not to mention people, will be broken in their wake. This was not the best, and the IC title match that followed it, where Tom Pritchard beat Phil LaFon was only kind of better.

Then 123 Kid came out for a promo. "Marty, whatever you think made you what you've become, whatever you think I've done to you, it's not what you think it is. Yes, I always tagged you in against the tougher opponents, but it's not because I wanted you to get pinned instead of me, it's because I respected you as a wrestler. You were the multiple time tag team champion, the former Intercontinental champion. When I was learning to wrestle, I watched your matches with Shawn, and I studied them. You guys were everything I thought a wrestler should be, a tag team should be: you were agile, always had each other's backs, and you knew how to make a crowd root for you. I saw Shawn kick you through that window, and at the time, I hated him about as much as you must have. But when I came to the WWF, I met a very different Shawn. He'd learned from his mistakes, he'd learned that friends aren't to be tossed aside. If you think I betrayed you by befriending Shawn Michaels, either I don't know Shawn like I thought... or I never really knew you. And right now, I'm leaning towards the second option." Skunkrocker ran out from the back, screaming "LIAR!" over and over, and began to beat 123 Kid down, still ranting into the mic. "YOU THINK I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU SAY ABOUT ME BACKSTAGE, THE LIES YOU TELL? YOU'VE NEVER BEEN MY FRIEND, YOU'VE NEVER VALUED MY SKILL! I WANTED TO WAIT UNTIL MONEY IN THE BANK, BUT I CAN'T WAIT ANY LONGER!" He sprayed 123 Kid with the Skunk Spray for a phenomenally long time, and walks to the back while medical personnel attend to 123 Kid. The crowd gave like no shits about this, probably because he got squashed twice in the dark part of the show.
Then Cuddly Chris Daniels came out to answer Mankind's open challenge and got tapped out for his trouble. The promo was dogshit, but short, and the squash match was fun, Mankind brought it as always.
After that, Goldust and Undertaker fought Road Rage in a short, but really fun match where Undertaker shone. They followed this with an HBK/Owen hype video. drat, I can't wait to see this match. Then Rick Martel beat HHH in a fun match before cutting an even better promo on Sid about how ugly Sid's soul would have to be to ambush him during a fair fight.
Then we had the main event, a short but intense match that ended when Goldust blew glitter into Warrior's eyes while the ref wasn't looking, letting Owen roll up Warrior for the pin. Then Warrior and Goldust stared each other down to end the show. When the cameras went off, HBK and Skunkrocker came out to have a short match where HBK went over, but the crowd was pretty much gone by then.

I'd say it was a B- show, damned good.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 9, 2014

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Low Effort Louie posted:

Here are the results I got from prowrestlingwebsite.com:

DARK MATCH: Terry Gordy defeats Steve Armstrong with a power bomb. Gordy was off his game.

DARK MATCH: Sabu defeats Juventud Guerrera when Alfonso slides him a chair to assist with a Triple Jump Moonsault.

DARK MATCH: Rey Misterio Jr., Ultimo Dragon, and Jerry Lynn defeat Hugh Morrus and Men at Work when Lynn hits a cradle piledriver on Starr. Kanyon was off his game

DARK MATCH: Steve "Mongo" McMichael and Disco Inferno defeat State Patrol when McMichael pins Parker after hitting the Tombstone.

El Hijo del Santo defeats La Parka in a quarterfinal match of the Cruiserweight Title tournament, making Parka submit to La de a Caballo. El Hijo del Santo and La Parka don't click.

In a rematch from Saturday Night two weeks ago, Kevin Sullivan defeats Billy Kidman by disqualification. Kidman shows an incredible amount of fire and nearly picks up the win with a shooting star press, but Perry Saturn interferes at the last moment, yanking the official out of the ring and sliding in himself. He shoves Kidman off the pin, then applies a double-armbar submission called the Rings of Saturn to Sullivan. The referee, confused, has no choice but to call for the bell. Kidman is furious at being robbed of a huge victory.

Kidman pulls Saturn off Sullivan and shoves him, loudly asking "what the hell?" Raven appears at the top of the ramp after the Kidman match, looking on with satisfaction. He advises Kidman that he best reconsider his stance on Raven and his Flock's methods, or he will live to regret it. "You're better with us, Billy, or I promise you, your light will fall under the shadow. Quoth the Raven...nevermore." Kidman remains extremely upset, while Madusa, rather than sympathizing with her charge, seems rather entranced by Raven.

Blood Runs Cold teaser: The massive Glacier executes a slo-mo big-man tope dive onto an unidentified figure, though shadows and lighting are as such that it's hard to tell whether the battle is indeed being waged in a wrestling ring.

Earl Robert Eaton and Duke Douglas Williams defeat The Public Enemy when Williams hits the Chaos Theory on Grunge and Eaton follows with the Tower of London, securing the pinfall.

Dusty Rhodes is out to interview Eaton and Williams following their victory, half-heartedly congratulating them on their win, and Eaton quickly responds with a barb, saying Rhodes probably doesn't remember what that feels like. Rhodes goes off on him, saying that he cannot believe the disrespect and the disloyalty Eaton has displayed during his time in the Blue Bloods and the Nobility, and he has had enough. Rhodes says that, if Eaton doesn't remember what it's like to be a proud American, he'll show him at Bash at the Beach. Eaton says Rhodes may represent the common man, but he represents true nobility--he simply was born better than Rhodes, and he will show him that fact at BATB. He then slaps Rhodes to emphasize his point; Rhodes looks to return fire, but Eaton quickly escapes, leaving Williams to eat a flip-flop-and-fly from a fired-up Rhodes.

In an eight-man tag team match, the Steiner Brothers and the Nasty Boys defeat the Faces of Fear and the Freedom Towers when Rick hits a flying bulldog on Barbarian. During the match, the Freedom Towers walk out on the Faces of Fear, with James Mitchell shepherding them off.

Kevin Sullivan hurls things around the locker room in a rage following his near-defeat. VK Wallstreet strolls in, commenting that Sullivan is clearly a broken man, having hit rock bottom after losing his allies and his chance at every competing for the WCW Title again, and now even his superiority over the youngest blue-chippers on the roster is slipping. Sullivan asks Wallstreet what the hell he wants, and Wallstreet says he wants to give Sullivan a sense of purpose. He notes that, a long time ago, he and Sullivan used to compete as the Varsity Club, and they were a feared unit. He now wants to instill that fear into the American Males and use it for his own ends--nothing corrupts like fear and money, he says, and with Sullivan, who not so long ago was a fearsome Taskmaster, by his side again, he'll have both. At Bash at the Beach, he proposes that he and Sullivan reunite the Varsity Club, and together, they will destroy the American Male dumb enough to decline Wallstreet's offer...and corrupt the one who isn't. Sullivan doesn't quite know what to make of all this, but says he knows a thing or two about corruption--he accepts.

Chris Benoit defeats Scott Norton, reversing a Flashback into the Crippler Crossface for the submission. These guys don't click.

Gene Okerlund interviews James + James, who again find themselves a little exotically attired: they appear to be wearing the wrestling attire traditionally worn by the WWF's Kaz Hayashi and Dick Togo, but complemented by bondage gear--Brian James looks like he's going for a leather daddy look, and Maritato has, of all things, a ball gag. Okerlund stammers and sputters at the sight, and Brian James finally cuts him off, explaining that wrestlers are not always the face they display to the public; sometimes, they need to let a little of what's really on the inside out. "Because, though you may commonly know us as the team of James + James, tonight, we are..." Maritato takes the opportunity to remove his ball gag and finishes the thought, "...Gay Dick!" Maritato then forces the ball gag onto poor Mean Gene, and Brian James slaps Okerlund on the behind, spouting a quick, "hey, just playing around, Gene," as they depart. Okerlund quickly removes the gag and tosses it away, muttering angrily to himself.

Gay Dick (James + James) defeat Joey Maggs and Taka Michinoku when Maritato hits the Sicilian Slice on Michinoku and follows it with a flying senton, pilfered from Dick Togo, for the pinfall.

James Mitchell is backstage with the Freedom Towers, and cuts a promo explaining that they walked out on the Faces of Fear earlier in the show because, as Big Bubba has noted previously, the Freedom Towers are enjoying total freedom and are tired of playing nice with others, including their old Dungeon of Doom compatriots. Moving forward, he says, these twin Towers will stand alone over the landscape.

Jeff Jarrett is introduced with Dan "The Beast" Severn. Jarrett claims that he is a Mixed Martial Arts enthusiast, a master of no-holds-
barred fighting, and will show the world the training he has gleaned from his mentor, UFC Superfight Champion Dan "The Beast" Severn. Severn doesn't speak, but certainly looks imposing standing with Jarrett.

Jeff Jarrett defeats "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan by pinfall with the Gracie Special (a forward Russian legsweep) after several failed attempts at submissions. The commentators note that Jarrett has advised them that world-renowned Brazilian jiu-jitsu practitioner Rickson Gracie himself taught Jeff Jarrett this move, but Severn does not look pleased--where is the real MMA training?

Backstage, Hulk Hogan brandishes his AWA World Heavyweight Title to the camera and explains that "this is where the power lies," that the title is the proof that he is the very best in the world and that Hulkamania is the only sanctioning body he needs. He says that, at Bash at the Beach, Randy Savage wants to prove that he is on Hogan's level, but Hogan will show him that, when he drops the leg and stands victorious with the belt held high before millions of screaming Hulkamaniacs, Savage "could never hold a candle to Hulk Hogan, brother."

In a preview of the Bash at the Beach triple threat match, the main event featured Lex Luger and King Steven Regal fighting to a 15-minute time-limit draw in a WCW Television Championship match. Sting is on commentary for the match, and explains that while he wants revenge on the Nobility and that has made him temporary allies of convenience with his old friend Lex Luger, he still believes there is a fracture in his relationship with Lex that may never be healed. The match wasn't long enough for a slow build, so it suffered a bit.

I give it a C.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Goldertaker, which I was originally skeptical on, is paying dividends!

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Golden Bee posted:

Goldertaker, which I was originally skeptical on, is paying dividends!

Oh it's paying out. You could say it's a tentpole storyline. You could say it has franchise potential! You could even call it a blockbuster!

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Superstars or "The Passion of the 1-2-3 Kid."

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Evil Badman posted:

Superstars or "The Passion of the 1-2-3 Kid."

He wouldn't agree to take a 3D onto the barrier or an End Of The Trail off a ladder into thumbtacks, so he got off light. But if we can't give him to you dead, we drat sure can give him to you buried.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 9, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm ashamed you guys didn't make James Mitchell the manager of James + James. C'mon.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

triplexpac posted:

I'm ashamed you guys didn't make James Mitchell the manager of James + James. C'mon.

If you've read the results, you'd know that James Mitchell is lucky to have no negative chemistry with his current clients, the Freedom Towers.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I Before E posted:

He wouldn't agree to take a 3D onto the barrier or an End Of The Trail off a ladder into thumbtacks, so he got off light. But if we can't give him to you dead, we drat sure can give him to you buried.

Next time the USWA lends you Rocky, you should send him back in a coffin.

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 9, 2014

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I Before E posted:

"Give him to you"?!?!? FIRE UP THE DIRT-SHEET PRESSES!!!!!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

wergeck.net posted:

In the first dark match, The Thrillseekers (Lance Storm and Christian Cage) defeat Men at Work when Cage pins Starr with the inverted double-underhook facebuster. Chris Kanyon shows off a nice array of offense again, though. Storm looked great.

In the second dark match, Diamond Dallas Page defeats Jerry Lynn with a Diamond Cutter. Lynn is absolutely obliterated.

In the third dark match, Mortis (with James Mitchell) defeats Scott Norton with a massive lariat. It looks like Manabu "Kurasawa" Nakanishi has replaced Cobra under the Mortis hood. Mortis and Norton had great chemistry.

In the fourth and final dark match, Raven and Perry Saturn defeat Los Guerreros when Raven pins Chavo with the Evenflow DDT.

Tony Schiavone, Bobby Heenan, and Jesse "The Body" Ventura open Bash at the Beach by running down our night's exciting card, then throw it to the ring to get things started.

The show opens with Ron Simmons vs. Konnan in a No Count-out match for the WCW United States Championship. The match opens with a brawl around the ring and into the crowd, taking advantage of the no-countout stip and letting Konnan work the crowd, interacting with the fans a bit to get them warmed up. Once the match gets in the ring, Konnan continues taking it to Simmons, but ultimately falls prey to some power offense from the former Florida State Seminole. This culminates in a massive spinebuster...but Konnan kicks out at two! Simmons, somewhat in disbelief but determined to gain victory, hits a new finisher, the Dominator, to keep Konnan down for good. Simmons retains the WCW United States Championship.

Chris Benoit defeats Barry Windham after sliding out the back of the superplex and powerbombing Windham off the second rope, leaning over and using his feet on the ropes for leverage on the pin. Closely contested match.

Windham is up fairly quickly after the finish to jaw angrily at Benoit for the cheap victory, but gets jumped by Scott Hall and Kevin Nash, who emerge from the crowd. They lay the boots to Windham as Benoit retrieves a chair, laying in a couple of good shots. Benoit then applies the Crippler Crossface as referees run out to intervene. Hall and Nash escape back into the crowd as Benoit is finally pulled off Windham. Benoit raises four fingers in victory.

El Hijo del Santo and Rey Misterio, Jr. defeat Dean Malenko and Psicosis in a bonus showcase match for the Cruiserweight Title tournament semifinalists. Everyone gets a chance to shine, but it is Misterio who reverses Psicosis's top-rope crucifix powerbomb into a huracanrana for the pinfall. The tag team of Malenko and Psicosis show great chemistry.

Backstage, the Nobility congregates around their leader, King Steven Regal. Regal promises that Earl Robert Eaton will put down that "common dog" Dusty Rhodes once and for all, and then, in the Television Title match, he will stand tall over Sting and Lex Luger and become the undisputed King of Television, bringing a little class to American airwaves. All five other stable members whoop in concurrence, and all six men flash the V for victory.

Backstage, Arn Anderson cuts a promo talking about how tonight is the night the New Horsemen ascend to the top of the wrestling world. They have already taken care of the wash-out Horseman Barry Windham, and later tonight, the Outsiders will finish the job Anderson started on the washed-up Ric Flair. At night's end, Anderson will deliver the coup de grace, slaying The Giant and emerging as WCW World Heavyweight Champion.

We then move on to the American Males taking on the former Varsity Club (V.K. Wallstreet and Kevin Sullivan) This contest is a back-and-forth affair, with Males playing classic faces, Sullivan being his usual dirtbag self, and Wallstreet, confident he will be bringing one of the Males under his influence, keeping it cleaner than he usually might. The match's climax sees Wallstreet throwing Bagwell the briefcase and nodding at him, wordlessly instructing him to hit Riggs and thereby join Wallstreet's empire; Wallstreet then distracts the ref. Bagwell lines up a briefcase shot on a dazed Riggs, rising from the canvas alongside a similarly downed Sullivan...but Bagwell turns at the last moment, cracking Sullivan with the briefcase instead! Too fast for Wallstreet to react, Bagwell gets the referee's attention and records the pinfall. It appears Wallstreet's offer was firmly rejected.

Our next match-up is Dusty Rhodes vs. Earl Robert Eaton. The announcers put over that this match was a long time coming; Dusty's been humiliated by the Nobility for months, whether it was them cracking him with a scepter or beating him in a Texas Bullrope match. As such, he is fired up like never before, particularly in light of Eaton's recent smug remarks. Eaton is overconfident to start in light of King Regal's recent successes against Rhodes, but begins to pay as Dusty opens up on offense. Eaton looks to capitalize on Dusty missing a rare highspot and goes up himself, but similarly misses the Tower of London. Dusty takes the opportunity to connect with the Bionic Elbow for the pinfall. Score a point for WCW, daddy! These two didn't click, and was too long.

Backstage, The Giant cuts a promo talking about the main event, where he faces Arn Anderson, leader of the New Horsemen. Giant talks about how he ran through seven men to destroy the Dungeon of Doom, so dealing with guys with lackeys and Napoleon complexes is nothing new. He notes that he respects Arn Anderson's longevity and contributions to the wrestling industry. "But there's no way I can respect any man who would sacrifice his friends and allies for this title. The Taskmaster tried to do the same to me, using me to bring the title into his clutches, and then discarding me when I didn't give him what he wanted. As far as I'm concerned, Double A, you're the same as Sullivan. And you and your New Horsemen will suffer the exact same fate as the Dungeon of Doom for trying to reach the top through betrayal!" "I'm the largest man around, Arn; I'm the mountain you've gotta climb. And Arn Anderson, when you reach the apex of that mountain, the only thing you'll find...IS A CHOKESLAM."

We then head back to the ring for Lex Luger defending his WCW Television Championship against King Steven Regal and former friend Sting. For most of the contest, Sting and Luger seem focused on one another, laying into each other with high-impact, but clean, offense, and only turning to Regal and lighting him up when he tries to interject himself. The match's climax sees Sting apply the scorpion deathlock to Luger, but Regal breaks it up as Luger looks to tap. Regal tries to take over, but Sting quickly fires back and sets up for a Stinger Splash. However, Baron Alexander Wright involves himself, grabbing Regal's arm from the apron and pulling him out of the way of the Splash, causing Sting to careen into the turnbuckles and fall over the top to the floor. As the referee ducks his head through the ropes to check on Sting, Luger makes a comeback, nailing a running forearm on Regal and signalling for the Torture Rack. As he hoists Regal up, though, Wright intrudes again, taking Regal's scepter and swinging for the fences at Luger's midsection, causing the Total Package to drop Regal and double over in pain. Regal takes advantage, nailing a knee trembler as Wright scurries off and the referee turns back to the action. Regal makes the cover and records the three-count, becoming the new Television Champion.

King Steven Regal hoists the Television Title and the V for victory high as the other Nobility members join him at ringside, carrying him back to the locker room in triumph. Sting, on the floor, and Luger, in the ring, look on in pain and disappointment.

Backstage, a brawl is going on between the four tag teams--the Nasty Boys, the Steiner Brothers, the Faces of Fear, and the Freedom Towers--that are about to face off against one another in a number one contender's match! They start to brawl into the arena! Bad blood spilling over from the last edition of Saturday Night, perhaps? Meng looked great in the brawl, while the Freedom Towers looked bad.

WCW Commissioner Curt Hennig appears on the TurnerTron as the eight men fight it out, and makes the number-one contenders four-way tag match a Tornado Tag match, due to all the chaos!

The Steiner Brothers defeat the Freedom Towers, the Faces of Fear, and the Nasty Boys in a Tornado four-way tag match to become number-one contenders to the Road Warriors' Tag Team Championships. The match is a fairly wild brawl, but Rick Steiner hits a flying bulldog on Barbarian in the midst of the chaos to score the victory. Though they are not victorious, the Freedom Towers certainly look dominant and imposing. Meng, despite looking good in the brawl, didn't look so hot in a match; neither did One Man Gang.

Our first main event is Hulk Hogan vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage for the AWA World Heavyweight Championship. Savage seems to have Hogan's number for the early part of the match, and Hogan seems to alternate between being flustered that Savage keeps getting the upper-hand and showing concern for his precious Hulkamania World Championship. Hogan begins to turn the tide as the match goes on, but Savage makes a strong comeback, leading to him coming off the top with a double axehandle...and flying right into the big boot. Hogan claps his hands, cups his ear to the crowd, and drops the leg...but Savage kicks out at just two! Hogan is in disbelief, and decides that he's had enough--he heads to the floor to collect the AWA Title, but Savage meets him as he heads for the ramp, coming off the top to the floor with a double axehandle! Throwing Hogan back in the ring, Savage heads up top, points to the sky, and drops the big elbow...for only two, as Hogan Hulks Up! Savage lays in a couple of punches as Hogan shakes and vibrates with energy, so Savage finally shrugs and rolls him up from behind rather than wait for the "YOU!" He gets a close two-count, and Hogan briefly seems confused that that's never happened before. He shakes it off, and is up like a shot, rushing Savage with an Axe Bomber...but Savage ducks, and the referee gets bumped instead. Savage charges Hogan, but Hogan sidesteps and sends Savage into the ringpost. As Savage recovers, Hogan heads to the floor and grabs a chair. Reentering the ring, he raises the chair over his head and charges Savage in the corner, but Savage counters the chairshot by kicking the chair into Hogan's face, causing him to drop the chair and flop backfirst on top of it. Savage goes up again as the referee begins to stir, points the sky one last time, and makes his leap...as Hogan rolls safely out of harm's way, leaving Savage to drop the elbow directly onto the steel chair! Savage screams in pain, rolling and writhing in agony, the arm seemingly bent at an awkward angle. The referee, seeing the pain Savage is in and fearing for his safety, has no choice but the call for the bell and award Hulk Hogan the victory by injury stoppage. Hogan celebrates like he's won the Super Bowl. Despite being the popular choice for Match of the Night, it suffered from the normally great commentary.

The Road Warriors defeat Harlem Heat in a ladder match to retain the WCW Tag Team Championships. Booker T wipes himself out of the match, laying Hawk across a second ladder and attempting a Harlem Hangover off the prime ladder...only to have Hawk move. Stevie Ray then eats a Doomsday Device off the ladder, allowing Hawk and Animal to claim the belts together. Road Warrior Animal was off his game.

The lights in the arena dim as Curt Hennig and Rick Rude make their way out to shoo away the bulk of production personnel around ringside, as well as the timekeeper and the ring announcer. Only a skeleton crew--cameramen, the commentators, and a referee--remains. The commentators note that this is due to the unsanctioned nature of the upcoming "Lights Out" handicap match.

As the Outsiders make their way out through the crowd without much fanfare, the camera cuts backstage, with Ric Flair looking like a man facing his own mortality, possibly headed to his own execution. Flair's music hits, though, and the Nature Boy's game face comes back on, as he makes his way through the curtain and plays theatrically to the crowd. He meanders around ringside briefly, woo'ing to the fans...and surreptitiously sneaks the timekeeper's hammer into his robe sleeve.

The referee motions for the match to begin, and the Outsiders immediately begin advancing on Flair before he has even removed his robe. Flair clearly expected this, as he has come prepared; removing a fistful of powder from his tights, he throws it into Hall's eyes, blinding him. Immediately, he takes hold of the timekeeper's hammer and bashes Nash in the forehead with, felling him and busting him open. Flair gives him another good couple of whacks in the open wound for good measure, then kicks Nash out of the ring and discards the hammer, now turning to focus on Hall. Removing his robe, he throws it over Hall and begins unloading with hockey-style punches before getting him up against the turnbuckles, opening up with a flurry of knife-edge chops. Hall swings blindly and wildly trying to turn the tide, but Flair keeps himself at arm's length, continuing to pick Hall apart with strikes before graduating to slams and suplexes. Taking advantage of Hall being laid out, Flair heads to the floor and collects a chair and a length of the camera cabling. Returning to the ring, Flair busts Hall open with a solid chairshot to the head, then lays in a couple more for good measure. Taking the cable, he strangles Hall with it, then throws him over the top rope and yanks for dear life, hanging him! Hall flails and tries to regroup, but finally is saved by Nash, who assaults Flair from behind. The Outsiders go to work with their traditional offense--big boots, back elbows, fallaway slams, and the like--with Flair occasionally firing back with some strikes, but mostly getting dominated. Flair eats a chairshot of his own from Hall, and now everyone is bleeding. Flair is thrown to the floor, and the mugging continues, with Flair getting Snake Eyes'd by Nash on the guard rail, then Hall cracks him in the face with the dismantled steel steps. Hall drags him over to the announce table set up at ringside, and throws out his arms--he's signalling for the Outsider's Edge! Flair, however, finds the strength to reverse into a backdrop over the table, but runs into another big boot from Nash. Nash now peels up the mats at ringside and goes for a Jackknife on the concrete, but Flair somehow fights back again, this time low-blowing the behemoth. He grabs a TV monitor off the announce table, and brains Hall as he rises, sending him back to the concrete. Nash eats a shot with the monitor as well, but merely staggers groggily as a result, so Flair abandons the weapon and chop-blocks Nash's leg. Nash collapses, and Flair doesn't relent, driving the knee twice into the concrete. Nash howls in pain, so Flair rolls him back into the ring and continues to go to work, using classic Flair leg-abusing offense. Firmly in control despite being at a numeric disadvantage and blood streaming down his face, Flair unleashes a giant WOO and applies the figure-four to Nash's bad wheel, causing the big man to yelp in agony. On the floor, Hall is back on his feet...and shoves down the nearest cameraman, commandeering his video camera. In the ring, Nash looks ready to give, but Hall rejoins the fray just in time, bringing the camera crashing down on Flair's face and torso. The impact breaks the submission and knocks Flair loopy. Hall and Nash are in pretty rough shape, but have enough left to hit the Outsider's Edge, and then an awkward one-legged Jackknife, to finish a very game Flair. Nash secures the pinfall. Obviously, Hall and Nash were a great pair.

The Outsiders somehow aren't content with the beating they have laid on Flair, and now pull out handcuffs, securing Flair's hands behind his back. Flair, slumped forward on his knees, basically unconscious, is totally helpless. Nash shoves the referee, trying to intervene, to the mat as Hall paintbrushes Flair mockingly. Nash takes hold of a television camera, stands over Flair, raises the camera high over his head...and suddenly, "The Lone Wolf" Barry Windham is out with a chair to save! He rushes the ring, swinging with reckless abandon, forcing Hall and Nash to clear the ring and withdraw. Windham stares the Outsiders down as the referee finds boltcutters in a toolbox beneath the ring to free Flair. Flair has lost this battle, but he has survived. Windham was underwhelming compared to the other three men.

Now it's time for the final match on the card: Arn Anderson vs. The Giant for the WCW World Heavyweight Championship Clearly outgunned in the power game by the much larger champion, Anderson sets to work neutralizing the Giant's left arm to take away some of his more devastating power moves. The Giant stages a comeback, however, getting a head of steam and ultimately signalling for the chokeslam. Cue the interference: Chris Benoit makes his presence felt and distracts the referee, allowing Scott Hall to enter...and he runs right into a chokeslam! Giant turns and hits a massive thrust kick on Anderson, beginning to signal for the chokeslam again...and suddenly stops, instead looking up. The Giant...begins scaling the turnbuckles?? In a startling turn of events, the Giant comes off the top rope with a HUGE missile dropkick on Anderson! Anderson is out, but the impact is not gentle on the massive Giant either. As he crawls over to make the cover, now Kevin Nash is out to help Hall up and yell at the ref to draw his attention. Benoit now climbs the turnbuckles, looking for a flying headbutt as Giant covers Anderson...but Giant sees it coming and moves, causing Benoit to nail Anderson! Giant is up to execute a massive beal throw on Benoit over the top to the floor, then goozles Anderson's limp frame again and drags him back to his feet. Hall now groggily gets the referee's attention as Nash intercedes, entering the ring and looking for a big boot. Giant releases Anderson to dodge it, wheeling around on Nash...and gets low-blowed by Anderson from behind. Giant doubles over and is cinched up by Nash...who drops the champion with a huge Jackknife Powerbomb! Anderson slowly makes the cover as the referee turns his attention back to the match, but incredibly, the Giant kicks out at two! Anderson pounds the mat repeatedly in frustration, then draws his thumb sharply across his neck, signalling for the end. He stalks the weary Giant as the champion stumbles to his feet, front-facelocking him for a DDT...but Giant presses Anderson up into the air to break, hurling him into a face-first crash onto the canvas! The Giant pulls down his strap, bellows to the crowd, and signals one more time for the chokeslam. Now all three of the other New Horsemen decide to intervene, hopping onto the ring apron; Giant wipes them all out with big punches and shoulderblocks, sending them crashing to the floor and removing them from action. Turning back to Anderson, he goozles him, but Anderson spins out into a short-arm knee lift to reverse. Anderson hooks the DDT again, but now Giant deftly spins out, goozling Anderson now with his bad arm. Anderson recognizes this and quickly pounds on it with sharp forearms, causing Giant to cry out in pain and release the goozle to clutch the arm. Sensing his opportunity, Anderson clutches the Giant's legs, plants his feet...and delivers the most incredible spinebuster of his career, planting the Giant in the center of the ring! Anderson makes the cover...and becomes the World Heavyweight Champion.

Just as good as the Great American Bash. Solid B.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That was a pretty great PPV. I was really hoping Flair would pull that one out after using every trick he could think of, but I guess it wasn't enough.

As an aside, can someone explain the V for Victory to me? I don't know if it should be the peace sign, the Vulcan sign, or if it's something else.

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

As an aside, can someone explain the V for Victory to me? I don't know if it should be the peace sign, the Vulcan sign, or if it's something else.

It is indeed the peace sign.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
How much did Luger & Sting bitch about having to lose to Regal? Can't wait to read the sheets!

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

I'll admit, the Flair match had me hooked. Good stuff.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

triplexpac posted:

How much did Luger & Sting bitch about having to lose to Regal? Can't wait to read the sheets!

You'd be surprised.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

CaptainYesterday posted:

You'd be surprised.

Well now I really need to know! Do I gotta pay 99 cents a minute to Mean Gene to get the scoops??

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

CaptainYesterday posted:

You'd be surprised.

Is DDP still fighting everyone?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

Is DDP still fighting everyone?

Maybe he and Hogan could team up and start a backstage fight club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q7kid
Jul 24, 2009

I Before E posted:

Maybe he and Hogan could team up and start a backstage fight club.

It wouldn't work--DDP would want to plot the whole thing out first and Hogan wouldn't sell the punches anyway.

• Locked thread