Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Just caught this. I'll rejoin :wcw:.

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

JoeRules posted:

DARK: Jesse James over Robert Ford.

Like smoking crack, for instance.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think I'm engaged in pretty much every WCW story. I'm really enjoying deranged heel Hogan, like the build to Giant/Muta, am curious to see where the Regal Nobility and the mysterious birds attacks go, and am deeply conflicted about the Sting/Luger and Arn/Flair ones are going. The only very minor complaints I have about WCW are that the CW division could use more build and I was kind of disappointed Psicosis unmasking JL had no real follow up.

For WWF I'm interested in the HBK and Jericho alliance, open to the Two Man Power Trip, and there's a lot of great talent there but the shows keep feeling like new things and wrestlers thrown at you with no build or explanation. Its tough to get invested in even a solidly built story like the Boddydonnas split when all of a sudden brothers Skip and Zip become cousins Tom Prichard and Chris Candido.

DaBombaLDP posted:

Ray Mysterio beating Psychosis at Slamboree wuz da bomb
dude was like representing the mexican fam after Pyscho ripped that dude's mask off!

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I know technically the Rey match came out of it but I was kind of hoping for a short JL story. I don't want to fantasy book and step on your toes but basically I just thought there was story room to give JL more agency and build everyone up. But I get that it would have been hard to win over fans with that so it would have had to been strategically placed in the product to build them up without hurting your ratings. I don't blame you guys for not going that route. Like I said, it was a very minor complaint. A nitpick, really.

IWC!

World Championship Wrestling registers your complaint, trusted viewer. We encourage you to watch the Cruiserweight tournament, live on Monday Night Nitro and Saturday Night each week. Featuring "Lucha Libre" style wrestling of many of the world's top luchadores, such as Rey Mysterio Jr, the tournament will conclude live on Pay-Per-View this summer.

Thank You,
E. Bedmon
Office of Public Relations
World Championship Wrestling

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Q7kid posted:

*a loudspeaker crackles to life in the Turner executive offices*

"Attention! All available WCW personnel please immediately report to the board room for an urgent talent-selection discussion!"

(WCW booking crew, if you're around, get in IRC right now.)

Can forum at work, cannot IRC. Yeah, I know.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Is this Raw or Superstars? What happened to Superstars?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

CaptainYesterday posted:

Obviously, this is Thursday Raw Thursday.

WE'RE OUTTA TIME SEE YOU ON LIVEWIRE

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Incredibly surprised Austin 3:16 didn't happen. Good job swerving.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

harperdc posted:

yeah the last one had promise but some of the reports got too wrapped up in making fun of the message-board reports of that era, this one is much more readable AAAAAND both groups are doing really cool stuff (that sometimes breaks the time-space continuum) now that WWF has gotten its poo poo together.

Great stuff, gonna keep reading, really loving it all.

All things considered, having DiBiase fund Money in the Bank is loving genius.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Superstars or "The Passion of the 1-2-3 Kid."

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I Before E posted:

He wouldn't agree to take a 3D onto the barrier or an End Of The Trail off a ladder into thumbtacks, so he got off light. But if we can't give him to you dead, we drat sure can give him to you buried.

Next time the USWA lends you Rocky, you should send him back in a coffin.

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jan 9, 2014

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Clusterfuck brawl to end Raw, after a main that didn't matter after Mankind cut a second promo for his Ppv match negating the one with Jericho. :bravo:

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

A vote the WWF is vote for bland recaps, a hype train that hasn't delivered and the corpse of Jushin Liger bumping to no one caring.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I Before E posted:

Look, it was late as hell, and I was tired. I usually try to put more effort into our recaps. And the Real Man's Man will be making some waves later this week.

WWF working its writers to the bone. Exhaustion sets in as Raw coasts to a 2.3 on a post-PPV show.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I Before E posted:

At least we used him to put over a new guy, instead of Hulk Hogan.

Hang on, I'm busy having Matt Hardy team/job with not-his-brother and dark matching Kane Big Red Guy for the least surprising surprise in the history of the world.

Armitage posted:

Hey, this thing's pretty cool and all, but who's Robert Ford?

If I recall correctly, Brad Armstrong.

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 30, 2014

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Q7kid posted:

Here's what gets me: if you're super-pushing Dave Taylor, why are you jobbing him in his second televised match? On Superstars, no less? I get that he's a British guy in England to feed to the bigger British guy, but come on, give them both jobbers--it's the B-show.

Fantasy booking fantasy booking!

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

We made TMPT when we had no other options.

You have 80 tag teams, and failed to pull the trigger on Austin 3:16 winning KOTR, but made MITB and :psyduck:

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Der-Wreck posted:

I just like that both sides are trying new things, especially the fact that neither are really reaching for low-hanging fruit. For WCW, instead of nWo, you have the New Four Horsemen featuring The Outsiders and Hogan becoming delusional and turning heel that way. For WWF, instead of Austin 3:16, there's the Two-Man Power Trip.

The Money in The Bank idea sounded cool but it's a shame it didn't get bigger ratings. I'm hoping for an Urn-on-a-pole match ;)

The thing that cracks me up the most with TMPT is neither Austin nor Hunter were top tier at this point. Austin's breakout happened at KOTR 96. Triple H, due to the curtain call, got his KOTR win pushed to 1997. DX hasn't occurred yet, and obviously, Trips isn't married to Stephanie. So what power are they tripping on?

I'm only razzing, you guys are really doing better than than you started at.

EDIT: Reading HHH's wiki to fact check and noticed that Owen was going to be "The Game." Neat.

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 31, 2014

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Q7kid posted:

Sean Waltman, master of the Mega Buster finishing hold.

No, the Mega Buster is our continuity's bronco buster.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Volcano Style posted:

Toxx Sonnet no. 8 - Two Forms of Madness

'AWA' was never once the sort
Of place to think of what the future held
But Hulkamania's bigger than the sport
And as their champion, brother, I'm compelled

To take this belt to new and greater heights
And now these letters mean the most to me,
I'll make you bleed so bad, they'll read my rites
You'll feel the strap, dude, that I guarantee

You tried, dear Randy, but I beat you down
I'm back, the greatest, get that through your skull
My glory, worthy of the golden crown.
(It's not a bald spot, that part's medical)

The Macho Man has brought himself a fight.
I pledge my life to Yappapi tonight.

This has become the best Toxx.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

NutritiousSnack posted:

of a joke tag team. Liger and Taylor are getting real pushes, though it's sorta bad Liger fell off the ladder the way he did.

It's incredibly apparent that both teams were charged with making a comedy act digging on the other team with bonuses to give them a title. See also: The Skunkrocker.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Q7kid posted:

What tipped you off? When WWF gave Marty Jannetty a title created out of whole cloth?

Hahaha. It went over a couple people's heads here.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

quote:

Then Prichard started a typical 'who's next promo' "I beat Tatanka at Summerslam, I've beat Ford and Bradshaw, and now I wanna know: who's up next? who else wants a shot at my title? I'm ready and willing to step up." Then Candido's theme plays! Tom looks confused until Austin comes out and gives him a Stunner! HHH comes out to high-five him while Pillman sits in the background slow clapping. This was okay especially considering Prichard was in it. Blah.

Pillman shows up too, or is that Pritchard at the end there?
Edit: Nevermind, I read it again slowly and think I figured it out.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Xerzes posted:

Vince came out and announced that TMPT will be punished for their behavior these past few weeks. He said he has considered their statements and wonders if they can be true to their word. HHH will be booked against Rowdy Roddy Piper for the next In Your House: PPV event and against Jericho the next. If he loses just one of those matches, the Brave Lions will get their rematch. Vince then said that if Austin wants the IC title, he'll have to prove that he just isn't a punk and can raise hell in the ring fair and square. He'll have to come out and win one match every night to prove he's worthy of the title. Austin and HHH were furious. I don't care.

Let me get this straight, you had an absolute barn burner of a Tag Title match on the first "Raw is HBO," and it ends dirty as gently caress. Rather than do a quick rebound for Vengence you decide to bore the poo poo out of people on consecutive PPVs with two HHH matches that could be on free TV? :bravo:

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Do not even ask posted:

Foreign markets can eat a DICK

Not like you guys committed to the UK or Cananda as part of contract negotiations.

Oh.

That is unfortunate.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

IcePhoenix posted:

Did Fall Brawl get cancelled?

We were having a discussion about rebranding it as the Autumnal Arsenal, in honor of Arn Anderson.

EDIT: Someone should start a prediction game for each PPV for the viewers. Here's Fall Brawl's card:

Q7kid posted:

FALL BRAWL 1996 CONTROL CENTER

Join us live in Winston-Salem, NC this Sunday for the following line-up of excellent matches!

HORSEMEN VS. HORSEMEN IN THE MATCH BEYOND, BUT WILL STING RIDE?
War Games Match
The New Horsemen (Arn Anderson, Chris Benoit, Kevin Nash, and Scott Hall) vs. The Four Horsemen (Ric Flair, Lex Luger, and Barry Windham) and Sting

TO TURN BACK A NEW CHALLENGER, A DELUDED FALLEN HERO MUST EMBRACE HIS DARK SIDE
AWA World Heavyweight ("Hulkamania") Championship Match
Hulk Hogan (c) vs. Rick Steiner

A JEALOUS EGOTIST MEETS A MAN HELL-BENT ON REVENGE IN A FIGHT TO THE FINISH
Last Man Standing Match
Scott Steiner vs. "Macho Man" Randy Savage

CAN A FORMER CHAMPION RECLAIM PAST GLORY WITH A NEW PARTNER?
WCW World Tag Team Championship
James + James (c) vs. Road Warrior Hawk and a mystery partner

A MOTIVATED CHAMPION; A WOUNDED GIANT; A CHAMPIONSHIP IN THE BALANCE
WCW United States Championship
Ron Simmons (c) vs. The Giant

CAN A YOUNG UPSTART PROVE HE HAS THE STUFF TO DOWN A DOMINANT CHAMPION?
WCW Television Championship
King Steven Regal (c) vs. Marcus Bagwell

SIX MEN LOOK TO PUT THEMSELVES IN LINE FOR A TITLE, BUT THE CHAMPION WILL DETERMINE THEIR FATE
Six-Pack Match for Number-One Contendership to the WCW Cruiserweight Championship with Special Guest Referee El Hijo del Santo
Rey Misterio Jr. vs. Ultimo Dragon vs. Psicosis vs. Dean Malenko vs. La Parka vs. Juventud Guerrera

OLD GRUDGES, NEW SET OF RULES
Six-Man Tag Team Match - Raven's Rules
Raven's Flock (Raven, Perry Saturn, and Billy Kidman) vs. Team X-Treme (Too Cold Scorpio, Sabu, and Rob Van Dam)

A COCKY NEWCOMER LOOKS TO FEND OFF A SHARK ATTACK
Kid Rock vs. The Shark

A SURGING YOUNG TEAM MUST FACE AN INQUISITION
The Thrillseekers vs. The Knights Templar

CALL YOUR LOCAL CABLE PROVIDER!

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 28, 2014

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

quote:

As the ref came to, he threw the chair out of the ring, almost hitting someone, and put on an Indian Deathlock for a submission victory.

That is one bad rear end ref.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

IcePhoenix posted:

At least our fan writeups are honest instead of the obviously paid off writeups WCW gets that cover up any segments that don't perform well with tons of fluff. You're not getting B- Nitros by just getting Cs and Bs on every segment.

Captain Yesterday has really stepped up and taken the show summary task by the horns. The segments are put together well enough in the spreadsheet by our team that he can edit them as needed and present easily. The most evident part of our summaries is that we're having fun doing this. Captain's job of presenting it to the viewer is actually more fun than work, and it shows in the product. Even with our shortest results you get things like:

quote:

Terry Gordy defeats Steve Armstrong. Gordy shows off his physicality yet again, and Lanny Poffo is once again a master as directing his charge. Poffo's strategy and instructions allow Gordy to completely counter almost every bit of offense Armstrong can muster, and Gordy's muscle does the rest and he lays out another victim with the Powerbomb.

Instead of whatever this is:

quote:

Skunkrocker beat Jim The Anvil in a back-and-forth match to retain his Pan-American Championship.

The Dark Carnival beat Edge and Jake when Doink pinned Edge after Violent J hit him with a bottle of Faygo.

The Headshrinkers pinned Bart Gunn, Jushin Liger, and Tracy Smothers when Sione pinned Bart.

Bundy, Tatanka & Sid vs. Finlay, Martel & Holly, Tatanka pinned Holly off an End Of The Trail.

All from the same PPV. All shorter than the write up for a Pizza gimmick match.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

IcePhoenix posted:

In my defense I was trying really hard to get that cut from the show.

I've been trying to push us to be more descriptive in things but being that I've literally written one segment since joining I can't really criticize in that regard.

I hope this gets your writers room to realize that the show top to bottom needs to read well. I don't point these out as mere rags, I want you guys to be at your best. Right now you're operating like current WWE: Top card getting tons of time, comedy bits getting too much time, and anything midcard or lower is just terrible.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

sk posted:

My sources haven't given me much to work with this week. Still holding out for some last-minute news from JoeRules before I put up this week's issue.

What does Joe send you anyways, just random tidbits of interest from the docs/chat peppered with false facts?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Captain Foo posted:

Okay now I'm on board with future Giant Big Show/Booker T

Evil Badman fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 11, 2014

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I Before E posted:

Jerry Lynn did not have the most storied of careers in WCW, I grant you that. But like this great nation, WWF is a land of opportunity, where a hungry young man can make his name by taking down an veteran whose fame may have gone to his head. Jerry Lynn did not let his failures in WCW get him down, he turned them into a fuel that will carry him to great things in the future. In the WWF, talent and results are what get you to the top, not backstage politics and legalese!

Do you have a problem with legalese?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

I can see why you're the main writer of WCW :allears:

Regardless, that clears up a lot of questions I had about the state of your product. Thanks!

Oh man, are we doing this? Hang on. I had something set up for this.

Behold, how to book a champion, by the WWF:
Summerslam Defeats HBK in a Street Fight overbooked to hell.
Raw Celebration interrupted by Finlay and HBK, Vader hit with a bottle.
Raw is HBO Vader introduced to new audience. Doesn't have a match, has a house party.
Raw Vader uses the belt as a plate at an amusement park.
Superstars Vader's team wins a 8 man clusterfuck DARK MATCH. Appears in Shawn Michaels fever dream as Goliath.
Raw Vader, and numerous others, get beat down by Owen and a chair, interrupting a match.
Superstars Contract signing with Warrior that ends in a stare down. The signing table survives.
IYH: Vengence Vader won a no-sell-off against the Ultimate Warrior, who got buried shortly thereafter and left.
Raw Taunts Warrior and "Vader and Bulldog/Kane and Warrior, Bulldog pins Kane."
Superstars Vader and Godwin won against Ahmed and that loving bear in a DARK MATCH.
Raw Vader and Taz defeat Finlay and Martel in another, you guessed it, dark match. Claims no one is on his level during Raw.
Superstars Vader and Bulldog defeat Edge and Jake the Snake.
Raw Vader and Owen defeat Bret and Anvil, a good DARK MATCH. Main show, Vader and Animal stare down.
Superstars Vader, Owen and Bulldog over Shamrock, Liger and Shigeki. DARK MATCH, obviously.
Raw Vader, Owen and Bulldog lose to Bret, Jericho and Animal. Vader played second fiddle to Owen's feud with Bret.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Meanwhile, Arn Anderson taps out in the center of the ring to Sting, who I'm not even sure was officially announced ON-AIR for the Wargames match. And besides, it was a Wargames match with 3 other men on AA's side if you need them to lose.

:psyduck: That...was the storyline of who'd join the Horseman. That was like the whole point. Holy poo poo.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

I know. I understand why you did it, and I personally like the story. Just not a strong way to book a champion. Which you accused WWF of doing.

Vader, the person, hasn't been pinned since he got the title. Anderson has.

My point is, you can't accuse us of booking our champion bad when you arguably book him worse.

There's a distinct difference between losing Wargames and as many Dark Matches as Televised for YOUR WORLD CHAMPION.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I Before E posted:

I have to admit, Vader has sort of been put to the side for a while as we build to Great White North, but he will have a lot more screentime in the weeks to come, I promise you that.

You, you I like.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I Before E posted:

We did not have as much planned for Vader as we really should have, which led to this period where he's just facing a lot of number one contenders. I consider myself partially to blame for this, but there was also a lot of confusion at one point as to when new people would actually join the roster, making already slapdash plans all the more muddled.

It was just super weird reading results and seeing him do more work in preshow darks than actually on television. It gave of an air of trying different combinations with Vader to move him to a tag team after dropping the belt. AO mentioned our storyline with Kidman and Team Xtreme fading into the preshow and that got my gears a-grinding. I marked out, bro.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Great White Hope posted:

Like winning the strap at In Your House: Bearly Legal.

This line of jokes and puns is becoming unbearable.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

:siren: WWF, Great White North is booking, :getin::siren:

Godspeed, gents. Despite giving you guys poo poo, I'm really interested in most of the things you are doing. I joined WCW because I was a WWF mark from childhood, and wanted to learn the other side of the coin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

I Before E posted:

Uh no, the promo where he's completely forgotten was right before the October IYH, and the Heartbreakers formation was on and after the September IYH. You've got your timeline wrong.

Yeah, get your facts straight. In the middle of this existential crisis, Shawn turned Mankind into Dude Love and then beat the Undertaker. Or didn't. I don't know. It was in Canada.

• Locked thread