Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Alright Team WWF I'm formally requesting a team meeting to iron out the details of current and future storylines.

Lets try and meet up around 1 PM Central.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

RINGSIDEREVIEWS posted:

Hello dear reader welcome to the Ringside Reviews the one stop place for LIVE~! First impression reviews among other things. Today I’ll be running down WWF’s go-home superstars. The ad in the papers said that today’s show will feature THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR~ and I’m a big fan of his work so this will be a fantastic show.

First we got the dark matches, in the first one we had Rick Martel and “The Blue Blood” Hunter Hearst Helmsly, This was surprisingly good opener and in a shocker Martel goes over.

The second match was #1 contenders to the tag belts, The Dudleyz take on the makeshift team of Horowitz and Montoya. When The Dudleyz made their entrance Uncle Zeb also showed up with them, he was fantastic tonight though the match was nothing special.

In the third and final dark match we had Marc Mero take on Taz it didn’t set the world on fire but I can call it wrestling at least.

Now to the Main show which opens with Goldust cutting a promo on Taker "Alas, poor Taker! A fellow of infinite menace, and excellent theatricality. I shall lay him on his back a thousand times, until so purely abhorred in his imagination am I! Where will be his fearful stare? His menacing aura? His moans? They shall be with me, as I shall take his urn, and with it, his soul! AAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA" he continues cackling as he walks up the ramp. A bit hammy but it does a good job it’s not the best but it was a fun Goldust promo.

WARRIOR~ takes on Can-Am Express member Phil LaFon with Doug Furnas at his side. Match was short and WARRIOR~ was surprisingly off his game. Sometimes the best have off days. But before he can leave Mankind comes out attacks him. They brawl and exit to the back in a great segment, probably because WARRIOR~ is so great.

We are then treated to a short squash between Doink The Clown and Billy Gunn. Match was pretty bad both guys looked mismatched and didn’t click at all. The Dudleyz w/Zeb show up after the match cut a sheathing promo on the fans and The Gunns hyping their match at KOTR. They beat down Billy and tease going for a table, but Bart Gunn runs down and makes the save. Uncle Zeb is really amazing and helped these segments be remotely entertaining.

We got a Rick Martel video package. The crowd seemed to be into him based on the earlier match I can see this guy being a good hand for the WWF again if this continues.

The Video packages didn’t end there as we got a Raw recap of the end of the show with Shawn and Camp Cornette considering it was Shawn Michaels and everything he touches turned the gold the crowd was pumped for Shawn getting his hands on the British B-Dog.

We get a intercontinental title match with Bob Backland and current champ Tom Pritchard, Backlund loses in 8 minutes and he appeared off his game tonight which I think hurt the match but it was still somewhat presentable. The ref gives Pritchard the belt and he celebrates.

After the match Sunny comes out with Chris Candido to cut a promo on Tom Pritchard. Sunny tries to speak but Chris takes the mircophone away from her. "Zip, or Tom, or whatever you want to call yourself, we're through being cousins! You're a stranger to me now. You think because you won the intercontiental title that makes you better than me. Well Tom, I wanna show you how I'm better then you by winning the Intercontinental belt from you at King Of The Ring." Tom Prichard returns from the ramp to reply, Sunny begins to smirk, but Candido ushers her into the corner. Tom begins to speak "Skip, we all know what this is really about." "Don't call me Skip anymore! You don't deserve to call me Skip!" Tom smirks "It doesn't matter what I call you. What matters is that in the last few weeks, you've become a different person. You've realized that Sunny's begun to like me since she knows I'll treat her better, and that's awakened a green eyed monster within you." Chris in anger tries to hit Tom with the microphone but Sunny steps in front of the blow. Candido hits Sunny and Tom runs to her aid. "You made me do this, Prichard! at King of The Ring I want you and that belt... in honor of Sunny." Prichard gets in his face "Chris wake up and take responsiblity for yourself! YOU'RE THE ONE THAT'S HURT SUNNY, NOT JUST PHYSICALLY BUT EMOTIONALLY, AS YOU'VE SUNK INTO JEALOUSY AND BITTERNESS AND TORE OUR FRIENDSHIP APART!" Candido looks mournful and sits and goes to Sunny while Prichard looks on, Candido instead grabs the IC title which Tom had dropped to see if Sunny was ok and bashes Tom with it. Candido poses with the belt then drops it on Prichard. Candido then leaves with Sunny uttering "I'm gonna avenge you Sunny" over and over as he leaves. This was an interesting segment that if it had better performers in it; it might have been very compelling but it kinda fell flat.

Kid takes on Hakushi and Kid wins by DQ when a masked Skunk character appears and attacks him. Post match The masked character gloats and grabs a mic. "Kid, I want you to know that I'm tired of you berating me, thinking you're the breakout star of our team." Kid is confused by the nonsense this mysterious man is jabbering about. "Kid, can't you tell a Rocker when you see one?" The Masked character unveils himself to be MARTY JANNETTY."I wanted you to be my friend, Kid. I wanted us to be partners, EQUALS! But no, you'd always get the victory. I WANTED TO WIN! I was always the guy who'd take the falls, the one you sent out against the monsters." Kid tries running after Jannetty, but Jannetty escapes from the ring to the ramp. "Well look at me now Kid, look at the guy who wanted to be your best friend, and you gave me nothing but disdain and derision. I'm a Kid Rocker no more! Thanks to you, I'm now a Skunkrocker, because you've stunk up my image by association." Kid, fed up, runs after the whiny Skunkrocker, but Jannetty scatters away.

We almost get a Undertaker match, but Goldust attacks him before the match and poises over Taker’s body.

Let me just recap this in full it’s a thing of beauty. WARRIOR~ cuts a promo, Bearer at his side. "MAAAANKIIIIIND, YOUR EYES DO CONTAIN PAIN, THEY DO CONTAIN A TORMENT. THOSE WORDS ARE TRUE. *SKROOOOOOOOOONK* BUT YOU THINK THE WAAAARRRRIIIIOOOOOOOR KNOWS NOT PAIN! YOU THINK HE KNOWS NOT TORMENT? YOU THINK HE KNOWS NOT THE CAPABILITIES OF THE TWISTED AND DEPRAVED? YOU ARE SOOOOOORELY MISTAAAKEEEN, MANKIND! *SKROOOOOOOOONK* THE HEAT OF BATTLE CAN WARP A MAN'S SOUL, TRY HIS SANITY, SEND HIM SPIRALING INTO THE DEPTHS OF MAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS, AND THE WARRIOR KNOWS THOSE DEPTHS, HE KNOWS THEM WELL! BUT HE HAS RISEN ABOVE THEM, AS HE WILL RISE OVER YOU THIS SUNDAY AT KING OF THE RING! THE SOULS OF WARRIORS WHO HAVE LOST THEIR LIVES ACROSS THE CENTURIES WILL GIVE ME THE FORTITUDE TO DESTROOOOOOY YOOOOOOOOOU! *SKROOOOOOOOONK*" WARRIOR~ and Bearer walk away, as WARRIOR~ yells and pumps his arms.

We get an ARM WRESTLING~ Contest between Yoko and Vader which Vader cheats to win and ends with a huge brawl. This was cool can’t wait for that Hoss off

We have a contract signing segment between Michaels and Bulldog when Cornette tries something fishy Michaels immediately without hesitation superkicks the poo poo out of him which much like a lot of these segments today ends in a brawl.

We get to the main event of Lionheart the team consisting of Roddy Piper and Chris Jericho taking on Owen Hart and Stone Cold Steve Austin w/Cornette and HHH. Both teams go all out and ends when Jericho rolls up Owen when he’s applying a sharpshooter.
Jericho lies exhausted on the mat after getting the win. Owen begins beating him down in anger, but Piper pulls him off. The four men brawl to end Superstars.

Really amazing show to go into King of The Ring. Had lots of great action and WARRIOR~ some parts weren’t the best but nothing was truly bad on the show. Overall a B- and remember to email questions and your wrestling dirt to PenultimateWarrior@hotmail.com I'll be sure and keep your eyes on Ringside Reviews for all your wrestling dirt, LIVE~ recaps, and rumors.

GenericMartini fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 2, 2014

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

IcePhoenix posted:

Just out of curiosity, from a game perspective how much damage are they doing to him?

I mean to begin with he wasn't really ever pulling that good of ratings so I can't really tell exactly how far if at all he dropped. Though I'd say he probably lost like 3 points of popularity based on our recent treatment of him, but he may have had not much to lose to begin with.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

CaptainYesterday posted:

We aren't interesting in giving Steve Lombardi the world title, thank you very much.

pfft Homophobes

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI

Evil Badman posted:

You have 80 tag teams, and failed to pull the trigger on Austin 3:16 winning KOTR, but made MITB and :psyduck:

A bit of insider talk.

First we only had like 2 Tag Teams that were active to start with, we only gained tag teams when we tried mixing two workers together to see if they worked with the best outcome with only one of them being a viable tag team(The Wild Sparks have chemistry). Since we were all decided on booking Owen strongly we felt it was more important to give Owen the rub then Austin who is not at the level that he is in real life.(Which I mean c'mon if we just booked all of what the WWF did where's the fun in that.) So instead of just having Austin meddling around in dumb midcard feuds with Savio Vega we decided to let him lead the Tag division, where hopefully he and Hunter can liven up until the other tag teams become more sustainable.

We also made MITB not because it worked in the future, but because it was an interesting twist that some felt would succeed. We took a risk and introduced a concept that might not have gone over to the audience we were selling to but some felt it was good enough to move forward with. MITB may have not gone over to many but it was introduced and we tried to sell something that might've been a little risque but hell we tried.

Edit: Also regarding the pushing people too fast part that IS are biggest problem, but we are trying to tone it down.

GenericMartini fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 31, 2014

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
The USWA story from how I remembered went as follows: We never wanted the USWA agreement, it was never something we wanted. We got Rocky through the talent trade thing or whatever(Many of us didn't know this at the time), and when we figured out that we had a working agreement with USWA we wanted to just get rid of(since we didn't know at the time Rocky was from said working agreement) by the time JoeRules had implemented the weird talent taking we had already agreed to cut ties with USWA, purely because it was limiting our ability to take workers that we desperately needed(Like WCW had already hired like half of the current day workforce we we're pretty desperate) and at the time we had agreed we'd get Rocky back after the agreement split.

Unfortunately the timing was horrendous and we lost him(Not a big loss to be honest since he's about as bad as Edge), I think the misconception comes from the fact that we tried to take Jarrett at the same time, which wasn't the sole purpose of cutting ties with USWA. I think if we had known about Rocky's commitment prior to the revamped game I'm sure we would've totally gotten him on a written contract, because even if we did keep the agreement with USWA it wouldn't have mattered as Rocky could've totally signed with WCW since he was never on a written contract with WWF the same would've happened

Edit: I'd like to talk about the Edge situation if you don't mind

GenericMartini fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 6, 2014

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Sorry IBE and AO, I'd like to field the Edge story though if I'm missing any info please tell me.

I've got to say if there was one big mistake I wish we could have avoided it would've been Edge. The whole Edge debacle showed everything wrong with Team WWF at that point. We originally picked up Edge as a way to tag block Christian while also picking up a decent worker. Though there was a lot of parallels for where we wanted Edge. I had originally booked Edge as a sort of lower midcard heel who'd job to some of the faces while putting on a good matches, then suddenly the idea of a super Edge push had been conceived. It had resulted from somebody editing a pre-show to have Edge, who was originally booked to lose to Mero, to have Edge go bat-poo poo insane and lose the match via DQ then proceed to interrupt the second pre-show match and attack both workers in that match. Though this wasn't the worst course of action it was a sign of things to come since some of the writers were polarized what to do with Edge.

When discussing ideas for how an Edge push would work several had suggested he'd be a maniac based on destroying the WWF or just a crazy person who was out for bloodlust. We wanted Edge to get over quick and fast so we had penciled to beat several of the WWF talent and also to be head to head with Rocky and Jericho in who we wanted to be pushed in the future. We wanted Edge in big future segments and I believe somebody wanted him in the main event of wrestlemania with in the next two years. Once again none of this was bad except that we never really gave him a plan he was just there and we wanted him to be psychotic but we didn't know how to make that interesting without going the Loose Cannon route(We did actually have one plan where Edge would team with Brian Pillman which was scrapped when we figured out that Pillman was injured and he'd be unavailable for angles), but we didn't want to take away Pillman's gimmick. We tested the waters of the gimmick and Edge during a KOTR match, what Edge did wasn't really too good but it was against The Rock so we couldn't hold too much against him. So us in our infinite wisdom decided to go down the route we knew worked in the past in sticking him with a mentor and slowly building his momentum till and then integrating him into the upper midcard of the roster and this is where things start to get foggy.

To get Edge to the psycho heel most of us had agreed upon we wanted to pick someone who could bring up his segments while we tried to slowly build up Edge, that person was Jake Roberts. We wanted to turn Roberts so he could corrupt Edge into turning into the mentally disturbed individual of our liking and even referencing several of Jake's other promos and utilizing I Before E's great writing of mentally ill characters(seriously read any of his take on Mankind it's pretty drat good) The bad starts appearing when we had accidentally debuted Edge on that one pre-show and he debuted as heel(My original idea of the heel jobber was what hosed Edge here) and we wanted Edge to be contorted into a heel not just be a heel and then suddenly become crazy. Since none of us knew he was heel we wanted to fix it(Some people had figured out Edge being heel when we tested the waters of Jake Managing Edge which went badly because Jake was still face), but once again we didn't really talk to one another and we had several ideas. One of which was to have a Edge/Jake feud and then Jake turn heel and they become a tag team, but for some reason we stuck with the idea of Jake turning on Edge and as such we turned Edge face. Too bad not many of the people knew about the turn and the people who did know about the turn didn't know there was a penalty for turns that happen too fast after another. Edge was already having very bad segments(He was the first guy to have a F rated segment and that's saying ALOT considering we had Charlie Haas wrestling), but many remained hopeful of Edge and we thought we could gain his momentum back by giving booking him decently. By booking him decently we mean shoving him in the main event of superstars and it backfiring on us because he was used way too much. After that disaster we still thought he could be salvaged with the Jake tag team, it was producing D rated matches which was worst than Tom Pritchard/Chris Candido and I after that we just cut our losses and made Edge a tag team wrestler.

Edge could have been something he totally could have. We just had way too many writers with way too many different ideas that Edge ended up dead in the water. Edge was definitely a learning experience I just wish it had been with a different worker than somebody we had massive plans for. Edge's tale is one of misinformation and miscommunication and embodies all of Team WWF's early failures

One particular thing I'd like to leave this story on is that I would like to take blame for Edge not being as good as he should've been. I wanted Edge in a Scott Taylor type jobber spot and I never really discussed it with much of the group and as such the chain of events started. I think Team WWF has learned tremendously over the time we've spent playing the game though they do have their little spurts like overbooking a few shows they've still managed to improve ten fold over what we once were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
WWF is doing a real good job. It's so good I almost feel like I was the one holding them back.

GenericMartini fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 21, 2014

• Locked thread