Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Just by the difference in reading the two write-ups I'm not shocked at all that WCW destroyed WWF in the ratings this week. That was a really solid go home show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think I'm engaged in pretty much every WCW story. I'm really enjoying deranged heel Hogan, like the build to Giant/Muta, am curious to see where the Regal Nobility and the mysterious birds attacks go, and am deeply conflicted about the Sting/Luger and Arn/Flair ones are going. The only very minor complaints I have about WCW are that the CW division could use more build and I was kind of disappointed Psicosis unmasking JL had no real follow up.

For WWF I'm interested in the HBK and Jericho alliance, open to the Two Man Power Trip, and there's a lot of great talent there but the shows keep feeling like new things and wrestlers thrown at you with no build or explanation. Its tough to get invested in even a solidly built story like the Boddydonnas split when all of a sudden brothers Skip and Zip become cousins Tom Prichard and Chris Candido.

That's a really great point, if you asked me to tell you the WCW storylines without looking I could name five or six in pretty good detail. If I had to do the same with WWF I can only think of two and I couldn't really give much detail on either.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Very awesome PPV indeed, did not disappoint (constant misspellings of Cleveland aside)!

I am definitely tuning my fake TV to WCW for monday night.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CaptainYesterday posted:

There is an erroneous report regarding the six-man tag. Rey Misterio, Jr. did not do any move called a '619'.

He never did that move in WCW, Sanguinia

He sort of did, but he did it as a "I got thrown into the ropes but I'm not coming back towards you haha what now" move instead of a "kick/shin/knee the conviniently placed opponent in the face" move.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sanguinia posted:

Also either nobody figured out the true identity of the usenet poster or the power of contempt is hilariously retroactive so everyone purposefully ignored the clues.

Option C: so obvious it wasn't worth mentioning. I still enjoyed it, though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sanguinia posted:

Well yeah, but I still expected a "tee hee, high school wrestleman on the internet," comment. Or maybe I'm just to enamored with my own supposed cleverness. :smith:

I wasn't trying to put you down, I liked it. I think nobody commented on it because you laid it on pretty thick so there wasn't really any mystery by the end.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Golden Bee posted:

Congrats on WWF for their King of the Ring! I got confused when Bluntman420 said

because the winner wasn't listed, but then I saw Owen later and figured it out.

That happened with a few matches for me as well. Good PPV, though I still enjoyed GAB more.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That was a pretty great PPV. I was really hoping Flair would pull that one out after using every trick he could think of, but I guess it wasn't enough.

As an aside, can someone explain the V for Victory to me? I don't know if it should be the peace sign, the Vulcan sign, or if it's something else.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Q7kid posted:

Just wanted to applaud the utterly bush-league crap you guys have pulled with Waltman over the last month. Multiple squashes in a night every night...truly impressive.

Just out of curiosity, from a game perspective how much damage are they doing to him?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Why was Sting randomly in an unpromoted main event against a guy who's never been above the midcard and has had basically no TV time? Really weird and completely ruined the flow for me.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

harperdc posted:

James and James is really good as a rib on "the other guys," but Liger has been involved and Dave Taylor has been built pre-debut really well. Voting WWF for this one.

This sums up my feelings pretty well. WWF

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It looks like Skunkrocker's success in the WWF is having reprecussions in the WCW writers' room :munch:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Wow what a scumbag move by WCW, trying to swing the FAN VOTE in their favor by trying to disguise their writers as the general public.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Evil Badman posted:

Fantasy booking fantasy booking!

Are you really surprised though?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Happyman posted:

We will keep it in mind

*Interrupts boring segment* ENOUGH IS ENOUGH AND IT'S TIME FOR THE GAME!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

That was a really cool show! WCW really has it going on through the entire card.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

triplexpac posted:

Hulk Hogan and Arn Anderson keep me pretty entertained through all WCW shows. Looking forward to them getting their comeuppance

This is WCW, so Hogan at least probably never will :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WCW really seems to be pulling away, WWF better step up their game.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CaptainYesterday posted:

Let's take a look at where the wrestlers are now:

Brian James: Tag Team Champion

Jushin "Thunder" Liger: injured in a D match
Dave Taylor: jack poo poo

I hope the following people are happy:

harperdc
wizardstick
xNarUtoRKOrton420x
IcePhoenix
Der-Wreck
Do not even ask
MysticalMachineGun
Perry Normal
legoman727

Very happy. Not only was my vote, which specified how we felt they had been used at the time of the vote , for the winning team, but it caused the WCW writers to overreact and put the title on a comedy tag team, noticably pissing off one worker and probably irritating others who were probably more deserving.

I liked Summerslam but the main event seemed like it was maybe a little overbooked. But RAW moving to HBO? Ooohhh boy that doesn't seem good.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm really looking forward to the next issue of THE SCOOPS for no reason in particular.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I really hope both sides (and JoeRules, of course) are able to keep this going for a while because while it's cool seeing the alternate timeline created so far, I'm realy looking forward to seeng what happens in the next two or three in game years.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Q7kid posted:

Is Jericho not as over in Canada as he is in the States or something? Surprising that a workrate special between two Canadian darlings would flop so hard.

The rest of the show dragged the rating down, the two Jericho/Owen segments were on par with good main events in the states.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Come on, man.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Before he edited it it was worse than just "we have plans for guys we've been putting on TV a lot" ok :colbert:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

sk posted:

Mankind saying gently caress :eyepop:

HBO baby! No censors no limits.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Did Fall Brawl get cancelled?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

NutritiousSnack posted:

Hulk Hogan went on a rampage and killed a couple of people.

I heard he got a stern warning afterwards and said "It'll never happen again, brother" while stuffing a wad of hundreds in his back pocket.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sanguinia posted:

But wow, what was up with Goldust and Taker? You literally have a botchamania moment in our fake wrestling game.

We had booked a short match and another segment and when JoeRules booked the show he left them off and we didn't realize it until after it was run

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sanguinia posted:

If you actually think were "running scared" from the incoherent nonsense of Shawn Michaels and his trip to a film school wank fest you're as coked out at the real :russo:

I don't want to be condescended to about writing quality and snap booking decisions by the architects of Tall and Jewish, Thunder Liger's D match leg snap, putting total unknown Kane over the freaking Undertaker, Dr. Tom Pritchard's illustrious IC title reign, using Rhyno once before paying him to sit on his rear end, and losing The Rock and all of USWA over baby's first game of thrones plot trying to sign JEFF JARRET.

I've given you guys enormous credit because you've had some good ideas buried in your dung heap angles, but I guess if you can't have the grace to give one of our's that is potentially questionable more than 1 segment before declaring it DOA maybe it's time for a little less professional courtesy and a little more reminding everyone else what complete trash Raw has been at every step of this game. If WCW's fans decide that one story that might end up being bad in the long run has ruined the company, I'd ask them if they can count how many times WWF has been ruined. If they can.

Consider that a shoot. Brother.

At least our fan writeups are honest instead of the obviously paid off writeups WCW gets that cover up any segments that don't perform well with tons of fluff. You're not getting B- Nitros by just getting Cs and Bs on every segment.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Evil Badman posted:

All from the same PPV. All shorter than the write up for a Pizza gimmick match.

In my defense I was trying really hard to get that cut from the show.

I've been trying to push us to be more descriptive in things but being that I've literally written one segment since joining I can't really criticize in that regard.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 6, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

triplexpac posted:

Well that's pretty awesome, good job.

I'd be curious to see some sort of behind-the-scenes update at some point. Get some details on how guys have progressed or regressed in overness, I imagine Regal has gone from like 50ish to 70-80ish if what you're saying is true.

Regal has gone from a D+ to a B in overness (in the US only, I assume). Pretty impressive.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Golden Bee posted:

What went wrong with Yoko that isn't going wrong with King Kong Bundy?

Part of it is learning from mistakes, part of it is that KKB is really over in the UK for some reason. I think Yoko had some ridiculous demands when his contract came up, as well.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

sk posted:

My sources haven't given me much to work with this week. Still holding out for some last-minute news from JoeRules before I put up this week's issue.

The last page or so has stolen all your thunder :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

:siren: WWF Please check the booking tab for an important thing :siren:

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 7, 2014

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I Before E posted:

"I wanna tell you a story about Vince McMahon. We went to the movies one time, and it was fun. He even paid for my popcorn! Vince McMahon is a good friend, and I enjoy spending time with him."

"You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16...well Austin 3:16 says I just want to tell you how much I respect you for standing up for what you believe in, and that I think more people should follow your shining example."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Can someone explain J+J's gimmick to me this week? I don't get it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

but what's this "sports entertainment" thing?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CaptainYesterday posted:

Ted Turner was in the wrestling business. Vince McMahon is in the sports entertainment business.

I don't think I've ever heard anything like that here in WWF.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

We at WWF can assure you that we take this matter with the Three Man Power Trip very seriously, and we will be addressing their actions immediately on RAW is HBO next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

(gently caress the UK)

Agreed, their representative from our show didn't even post the whole card and even just used some cryptic code called "pastebin."

• Locked thread