Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

Kimsemus posted:

I don't want to throw out haccusations -- But I'm just going to say it.

SG - Nipro, and the other guy from his clan, are scoring 100% headshots from insane ranges.

Both of them come around corners already pre-aimed like they know people are there. We got shot up a few times by them today, all ten people that died 100% headshots, some from extreme ranges. He comes around the corner, already aiming down and shooting. Both of them do it, I just can't remember the name of the other guy, starts with an S I think. This guy made a 400m headshot on a moving target at a raised position. He headshot him twice in the row, first was a wound because kevlar, second was instant headshot kill. He then headshot two more guys coming up the tower. These guys both play with Zyxel as well.

Furthermore, we're at our base for around 20 hours today, the ONE time in the day when we're not there (there are 9 of us that live there I'm talking, the ONE time today that not one of us is there), these same guys magically show up, loot everything out of our tower, and then disappear again. While they're doing this, Nitro magically appears from across the map and headshots all of us, when we're probably 4KM away.

I'm 100% a believer in coincidence, or luck but this is too much. Unaffiliated goons can probably corroborate what I'm saying.

This is all on The Goonion server.

poo poo man I told you that the base was not secure. Goddamn I spent like 2 hours crafting poo poo yesterday and now it's all gone?

Haha by the way did somebody just give you that avatar? How fitting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I must be the dumbest motherfucker, because I can't find Goonion on the list. There isn't even a way to list them alphabetically or input the server on your own? What the gently caress.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

ravenkult posted:

I must be the dumbest motherfucker, because I can't find Goonion on the list. There isn't even a way to list them alphabetically or input the server on your own? What the gently caress.

Check the modded server list

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

ravenkult posted:

Its under the modded tab. But F1 then net.connect <server ip> will let you connect the other way.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Cool, used the console.

I ran around like a crazy person, found an open shack up in the mountains and stole everything. Then I came upon a fortress looking thing and some dude one-shoted me from within.

Respawned in the dark and ran around with the torch. The moment I saw a zombie, the torch ran out and left me in the dark.

How do I hook up with my Goonion brethren? I know there's no map, so how do I navigate?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Is ping important in this game? Would 250-300 make it pointless to play?

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006

ravenkult posted:

The server browser is hosed at the moment and refresh and filters are not working.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
I know that Rubbersucky/Woofington and I were going to pick up and move somewhere else since Goontown kept getting raided, but I got distracted yesterday by christmas cookies. Did that ever end up happening?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Are there any goons on there right now? I could use a hook up.

I found a bunch of buildings and huge gently caress off tower. Is that goontown?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

ravenkult posted:

Are there any goons on there right now? I could use a hook up.

I found a bunch of buildings and huge gently caress off tower. Is that goontown?

Goontown gets raided hourly. Don't come to goon town. Your best bet is to get some people together and form your own goonclave and trust no one.

E: Also, yes this game is really easy to hack and there are likely lots of them. At this point it's to be expected for this type of game and there is no way to defend yourself from it without hyper vigilant admins (which goon servers never have)

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 23, 2013

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Goons don't want me. :(

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

ravenkult posted:

Goons don't want me. :(

Get out of here stalker

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

down with slavery posted:

I'm not a J4G but I definitely would if I had to in order to get this game!
You registered on the same day as your first post in this thread. How are you not J4G?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Rexicon1 posted:

Goontown gets raided hourly. Don't come to goon town. Your best bet is to get some people together and form your own goonclave and trust no one.

Yeah, seconding this. I woke up today to find my shack blown open and all my stacks of metal long gone. Huddle elsewhere.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

God this game creates the biggest poo poo shows, its beautiful. Goons mad at goons, pubbies mad at bears... I love it.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

poo poo man I told you that the base was not secure. Goddamn I spent like 2 hours crafting poo poo yesterday and now it's all gone?

Haha by the way did somebody just give you that avatar? How fitting

Yeah it was an interesting weakness exploit, I didn't know up until right then you could stack stairs on pillars without a foundation. I think my pride was hurt more than the stuff stolen, I still want craft the absolutely perfect base. :P

Yeah I think this avatar pretty much sums it up. :D

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I just got killed by some zombies. Do corpses stay around until looted or do they disappear?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
^^^ They'll despawn after a while. Not sure how long exactly but from all the complaining my buddy was doing tonight, you don't have too much time.

EvilElmo posted:

Is ping important in this game? Would 250-300 make it pointless to play?

This game does really well at minimising rubberbanding and such so it's perfectly playable if you want to PvE and build. A ping like that will severely disadvantage you in PvP though. The moment you encounter a hostile who has even as much as half that ping, you're gonna find yourself dead even though you swore you shot the guy several times at point blank. That gets frustrating REALLY fast in a game like this.

At least, that was my experience with similar ping. Since I've relocated to a server with 50 - 70ms I've had a much better time.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 23, 2013

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Mr Scumbag posted:

^^^ They'll despawn after a while. Not sure how long exactly but from all the complaining my buddy was doing tonight, you don't have too much time.

This game does really well at minimising rubberbanding and such so it's perfectly playable if you want to PvE and build. A ping like that will severely disadvantage you in PvP though. The moment you encounter a hostile who has even as much as half that ping, you're gonna find yourself dead even though you swore you shot the guy several times at point blank. That gets frustrating REALLY fast in a game like this.

At lease, that was my experience with similar ping. Since I've relocated to a server with 50 - 70ms I've had a much better time.

I don't know about you, but I notice pretty gnarly warping when more than a handful of players are near each other, especially travelling. I'm pretty sure it's netcode as my ping is pretty low and I run the game on max without dropping frames.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
In case anyone was wondering, the huge gently caress off tower surrounded by spike walls is me.

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 23, 2013

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Mr Scumbag posted:

At least, that was my experience with similar ping. Since I've relocated to a server with 50 - 70ms I've had a much better time.

THis is actually not entirely true. Hit detection is entirely clientside and this is little to no prediction/network smoothing going on so having lag could both disadvantage and advantage him

Also Cidrick, a bunch of goons moved to new goonton. Not everyone should go there though. Also are we allied with cs:go goons?

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

NuckmasterJ posted:

In case anyone was wondering, the huge gently caress off tower surrounded by spike walls is me.

Nice. You alone out there?

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
GoonTown is getting raided because its an easy target. That's all. Make your poo poo secure and you wont get raided, or if you do, you'll have fooled the raiders pretty good unless your the kind of guy who stockpiles 10s of thousands of gunpowder or stupid poo poo like c4.

If you have 5 metal doors, that 10 c4. Thats 3000 Gunpowder, 1 flares, a pile of sulfur and a pile of fuel. You need to get a shitload of loot out of that raid to justify it.

Guns and kevlar dont mean poo poo, because metal is plentiful. I crafted about a third of what I had in stocked metal yesterday and made about 20 gun fully modded and 5 full sets of kevlar.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
Hey, for all you poor lost souls out there, maps are available for the currently inhabited regions. They've been out for a while on the Rust Wiki.

NewMap by Kronix:

Brandy92's Map:

The road and Radtowns are easy landmarks to pick out on the Brandy92 map, the NewMap has some unofficial names for regions. The best part are the coordinates, learn em, use em, love em.

nephyx
Jun 20, 2006

"Purges"
-Adolf Twerkel
Picked this game up the other day and it's definitely fun/worth 20$. I currently play on the Goonion, and it's nice to see so many developed bases and players running around already. I'm a bit saddened that there's currently no log-out timer, since the current "no sleepers" setting seems to take a bit of the fun out of it. Other than that I have very few complaints about the direction the game is moving in, and I hope it continues to improve over time.

My in-game name is nephyx, sorry in advance for shooting at you.

dox
Mar 4, 2006
We CSGO westie goons had a great time raiding Goontown on Sunday. 7 of us stormed the base, blew up one of the base tower doors and then just began killing everything in sight. Soon other camp members started coming by and yelling "WHO IS IN HERE??" and "DO YOU LIVE HERE??" followed by shotgun blasts to the face. Sorry if we took all your stuff, but that was way too enjoyable.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
So what are the chances of some group making an arena/coliseum type deal near the hangars? Lure a crapload of animals into a holding pen, then have people fight them (and each other!) to the death with hatchets. Also free food for the first 20 spectators. :hist101:

Throwing nades into the arena during a fight would be frowned upon.

edit: Also setting up barricades in the arena floor and having people duke it out STALKER arena style would own. Public matches, place your bets people.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

dox posted:

We CSGO westie goons had a great time raiding Goontown on Sunday. 7 of us stormed the base, blew up one of the base tower doors and then just began killing everything in sight. Soon other camp members started coming by and yelling "WHO IS IN HERE??" and "DO YOU LIVE HERE??" followed by shotgun blasts to the face. Sorry if we took all your stuff, but that was way too enjoyable.

Most everyone who mattered moved out of goonton long ago. Also hope your stuff is secure ;)

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Where do you get stone? This game is ridiculously hard to get started on.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Most everyone who mattered moved out of goonton long ago. Also hope your stuff is secure ;)

Yeah, none of the loot was worth it, but the enjoyment definitely was. Where did you move to!? I sure hope our 50 metal doors protects our little town!

1stGear posted:

Where do you get stone? This game is ridiculously hard to get started on.

Hit the rock nodes with a hatchet/pickaxe.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

dox posted:

Hit the rock nodes with a hatchet/pickaxe.

Except the only hatchet I can make requires stone.

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.

1stGear posted:

Except the only hatchet I can make requires stone.

You can smash it with the rock you start with in place of a hatchet, like a true caveman.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Squido posted:

You can smash it with the rock you start with in place of a hatchet, like a true caveman.

Then why do the stone nodes say you have to have a hatchet? :psyduck: ~alpha games~

1stGear fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 23, 2013

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois
You can skip the stone hatchet and go straight to metal if you have the materials for it. Of course on high population servers simply FINDING enough nodes that haven't been harvested yet is hard sometimes. Once the devs start making the rest of the map spawn nodes instead of in a few select areas it'll probably be a lot easier, since people can spread out more instead of clustering around the coastline and road regions.

1stGear posted:

Then why do the stone nodes say you have to have a hatchet? :psyduck: ~alpha games~

Foul lies and trickery from the game I guess. Metal hatchets are the best tool overall since they harvest everything quickly. Pickaxes work well on rocks, slow but okay on wood, and are garbage on animals.

Minarchist fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Dec 23, 2013

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

ScienceAndMusic posted:

All the PVP groups have splintered off and we now live in our own territories. You're basically just shooting new goons to the server, you monsters you.

Mazo Panku
Nov 30, 2013

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
I just had my first experience with Rust.

First death: jumping into the ocean (I guess cavemen can't swim)
Second and third deaths: wild animal/zombie hugs
Last death: two guys with guns come up to me, one of them yelling "Dude, dude, I need some food, can you give me some food!", while I try to bash down the door of some asshat that stole a bunch of stuff from me. Before I can make a hasty escape I am shotgunned upon.

Definitely gonna play this more.

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
Goonion is awash with death and carnage this afternoon. Stay safe, buddies! Newbies, DO NOT RUN TOWARDS GUNSHOTS. Unless you have nothing then charge that fucker with your rock. Allahu ackbar!

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Do the penises swing around with physics?

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Also a for-real question, if I boot this game up with some buddies can we start beating pigs with rocks together or is it going to take us 45 minutes to even find each other on a huge rear end boring wilderness map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
It is hard to find each other. Especially if you have a hard time pickingout landmarks like I do. A simple compass that is added to your "spawn kit" would be a great change.

• Locked thread