Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Wow what a clusterfuck. Is this at least as moddable as the Arma 2 version? Hopefully modders can save this from the usual Rocket idiocy and make it fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Because Rocket, that's why. Fuckin' jerk.

I'm going to go ahead and preemptively buy this poo poo, because I actually want to play the standalone later and I know they're gonna up the price the minute this is remotely playable. But I'm not going to do it with my happy face on. No siree bob.

I'm literally rolling on the floor laughing this.

You know that Rocket is a troll, whose development is a disastrous pisstake of ineptitude, arrogance and idiocy - but you're going to throw money at him anyway?

Bravo, sir.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
FFFF i was happy to rage quit Dayzero and sulk, but now this is out.

i guess i'm buying this when i get home.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

WMain00 posted:

You know that Rocket is a troll, whose development is a disastrous pisstake of ineptitude, arrogance and idiocy - but you're going to throw money at him anyway?

Bravo, sir.

DayZ Standalone
Where people pay $30 for an Alpha Build of a game that they hope someday will be made fun by the modding community

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Day Standalone: You are unconscious

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Sorry for being a knob, but how do I eat my can of beans?

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
I don't think anyone has any faith in Rocket here.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Pryor on Fire posted:

Wow what a clusterfuck. Is this at least as moddable as the Arma 2 version? Hopefully modders can save this from the usual Rocket idiocy and make it fun.

Eventually it will be moddable apparently, but otherwise rocket is too scared of people cheating.

Which is funny because i saw someone posted this to the DayZ subreddit before it disappeared:

I thought the SA was designed to prevent cheating?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

UberJumper posted:

I thought the SA was designed to prevent cheating?

Nah, ESP was never going away. It won't be server wide ESP but it's just not going away.

The 'cheating' that was (allegedly) prevented was ARMA2 script injection, i.e stuff like making the entire server commit suicide or dance Gangam style.

Edit: ditto for wallhacking and aimbots, I'm impressed cheaters worked this poo poo out so quickly but at the end of the day I guess 'minor alterations from the ARMA2 client-side engine' also means 'minor alterations to make ARMA2 cheats viable for the new engine'.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
I'm still on the fence on buying this, but seeing that screenshot above and hearing stories about the horrible hunger and thirst system worry me. I really don't have faith in Rocket to be honest. I doubt this will ever be finished anyway.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Congrats to anyone who can aim with the ridiculous mouth acceleration. What idiocy.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

ufarn posted:

Sorry for being a knob, but how do I eat my can of beans?

Some cans are clickable and then you click eat, others require you to drag a can opener over on it to open it first. Some people are saying other tools ie knifes, screwdrivers etc are working, try for yourself if you have other tools.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Nah, ESP was never going away. It won't be server wide ESP but it's just not going away.

The 'cheating' that was (allegedly) prevented was ARMA2 script injection, i.e stuff like making the entire server commit suicide or dance Gangam style.

Edit: ditto for wallhacking and aimbots, I'm impressed cheaters worked this poo poo out so quickly but at the end of the day I guess 'minor alterations from the ARMA2 client-side engine' also means 'minor alterations to make ARMA2 cheats viable for the new engine'.

Except there is no way to host a private server, so who is going to deal with ESP/Aimbotters?

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

UberJumper posted:

Except there is no way to host a private server, so who is going to deal with ESP/Aimbotters?

There are private hives now you can look for them in the server browser.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Szcwczuk posted:

How :psyduck:

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010

Ninja fetus posted:

I'm still on the fence on buying this, but seeing that screenshot above and hearing stories about the horrible hunger and thirst system worry me. I really don't have faith in Rocket to be honest. I doubt this will ever be finished anyway.

I played a bit today, and despite the messages of starvation and exhaustion getting spammed on my screen, I managed to walk around for over an hour - without food, water, anything. I guess people are running around a bit too much. The real problem is that loot isn't apparently respawning, so you have a hard time finding anything to eat and drink to extinguish your needs.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

They list them in the title or something. I know laughing man has a few up.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

Szcwczuk posted:

The server browser is completely empty for me, has the server infrastructure blown up already?

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Szcwczuk posted:

They list them in the title or something. I know laughing man has a few up.

Sorry i meant how are private hives being made since the server software isn't released?

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

UberJumper posted:

Sorry i meant how are private hives being made since the server software isn't released?

That part I have no idea that community has a really shady history so I would assume it's not "official".

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
To throw my two cents in, while this may be a hella buggy mess so was Day Z the mod in addition to being full of hackers and it was still the most fun I've had playing a game this year.

From my experience playing it so far if he fixes the loot spawning and the exhaustion mechanics that'll improve it to the level of "a working Day Z".

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

cormac posted:

The server browser is completely empty for me, has the server infrastructure blown up already?

Click internet click refresh.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

This game is totally retarded and I'm having a freaking blast. You just have to accept repeated, nonsensical/hilarious deaths. I spawned in last night, saw four flashlights being shone sorta wildly all around this little compound area about 300m ahead of me, so I figured "I need some friends I'll head over there". As I got closer I heard little snippets of voice chat but couldn't really figure out what they were on about, then I got around the wall, and suddenly I realize two of the flashlights are still on and belong to dead people. Suddenly someone sprints by me yelling in directional "HE'S A KILLER OH GOD DON'T TRUST HIIIIIIIIIM" and then some dude jumped out of the dark and beat me half to death with a crowbar.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Congrats to anyone who can aim with the ridiculous mouth acceleration. What idiocy.
I laughed way too hard at this typo/autocorrect.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Click internet click refresh.

I've been doing that but nothing is happening.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Turning that garbage off and cranking down sens is like job 1 minute 1 in this game.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

Fandyien posted:

This game is totally retarded and I'm having a freaking blast. You just have to accept repeated, nonsensical/hilarious deaths. I spawned in last night, saw four flashlights being shone sorta wildly all around this little compound area about 300m ahead of me, so I figured "I need some friends I'll head over there". As I got closer I heard little snippets of voice chat but couldn't really figure out what they were on about, then I got around the wall, and suddenly I realize two of the flashlights are still on and belong to dead people. Suddenly someone sprints by me yelling in directional "HE'S A KILLER OH GOD DON'T TRUST HIIIIIIIIIM" and then some dude jumped out of the dark and beat me half to death with a crowbar.

I spawned as a black woman and immediately upon spawning I saw a man searching a house along the coast with a flashlight. I ran inside, shut the door, and then beat him to death with my fists shouting "YOU'RE IN THE WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD" over direct chat. Once he fell to the ground, my character said "I feel like having a drink." Cold-blooded and an alcoholic, good pairing.

McSlaughter fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 17, 2013

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Finally killed two guys, both combat logged, the second one had his corpse shortly reappear along with a doppleganger carrying the exact same gear, dude had plenty of rice that's for sure.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm standing by a water pump, but I have no way of knowing whether my character is using it (by mashing F). How can I tell?

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

ufarn posted:

I'm standing by a water pump, but I have no way of knowing whether my character is using it (by mashing F). How can I tell?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Real DayZ starts now.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus I was just wandering around in cherno and some guy runs by totally decked out, I beat him to death with a baseball bat of course.. Now I have a m4 and a ton of other poo poo.

Considering there is gently caress all spawns, that guy must be pissed. Or he hacked the gear somehow.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

soy posted:

Considering there is gently caress all spawns, that guy must be pissed. Or he hacked the gear somehow.

In DayZ? Surely not!

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

Gunder posted:

I suspected that might be the case. Is there any point in carrying around books and pens, or are they just junk?

not sure what the deal is with books right now, but I carry a couple on me when I have the space. Should I find a slotted flannel shirt on the ground, I can leave a pristine copy of Wuthering Heights or Call of the Wild inside!

As for pens, they write text notes on scraps of paper. Any message from Dark Souls is fun to leave laying about.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Upcoming changelog is out. Apparently, drinking from the well was bugged.

I find it absolutely hilarious that they have a "test server" for undeployed patches.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ufarn posted:

I find it absolutely hilarious that they have a "test server" for undeployed patches.

when I worked as a QA tester one guy would always smoke test builds just to make sure they didn't completely crash out and waste everyone's time.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

WMain00 posted:

Bravo, sir.

Hahahaha yeah, you're figuratively rolling on the floor laughing. You're literally sitting on your rear end silently typing about how a stranger spends his money. If it will give you peace of mind; disregarding sawsuck (and why wouldn't you), I'm probably the person in this thread with the most money to toss away on bullshit. My fiscal situation is fine. Thank you for worrying.

I've had a lot of fun with DayZ. I might have a lot of fun on the SA. It's worth a shot, seeing as the current product tells me nothing about six months down the line. Too bad Rocket didn't wait until he had a more finished product, but as I love ARMA I don't feel bad about throwing Bohemia of all companies some of my cash.

HeyChochachos!
Dec 8, 2005
Ray Smuckles: He gets things done.
As terrible as the alpha is, (is not) I still cannot wait to get the gently caress out of work to play tonight.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Dipes posted:

How does this compare to Rust? They both look quite similar but I only want to try one death simulator

Honestly Rust is way more fun. Its stupid because everyone is jumping aboard this bandwagon (I bought it too, I'm part of the problem), and most people are overlooking rust, which if what they like abotu DayZ is pvp than hoenstly rust provide a much much better enviornment for it, while also letting you establish your own little colonies.

I am just really in love with rust right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renwick Customer
Aug 19, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Is there a knack to keeping your character and stuff? I just started again having not played in about 20 hours, click play and all my stuff is gone again :negative: