Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Does sitting down (F3) actually rest your character? Today I'm taking things much more slowly instead of trying to marathon run to the airfield. I still get frequent "I feel exhausted" and similar messages even though I take a seat for a few minutes before doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

schizopol posted:

Logged off with a backpack full of medical supplies, fuel, and batteries... logged back on to a 5x5 grid of empty squares, instead! Don't get too attached to things you keep in your backpack. Same old DayZ.:v:

I love DayZ but this bug drove me up the wall too many times. I will gladly come back to this game when this is finally fixed. I just can't get the perfect loot, all the supplies and be in a good spot to come back and start over with nothing.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

Stockpiled bases or not, it invariably turns into PVP every time because everyone gears up to shoot other people, no one gets a kick out of whatever Rocket's idea of an 'anti-game' or 'survival game' is.

There's only so much to do, you can camp for sweet weapons, you can put a car together. After that, its just rinse and repeat pvp where you do nothing but run for 20 minutes just to start shooting people.
The pvp in Rust just lacks that visceral feel of dayz. You don't get yourself into bad situations as easily and death is not as much of a consequence. It just don't get the blood pumping the same way as being pinned down by a sniper in dayz and trying to craft a plan to flank him does.
Rust is about nothing more than gearing up and killing people. Dayz has some more intricacy than that, and I'm not talking about rockets dumb rear end realism you need to find toilet paper so you can take poop stuff.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

jerkstoresup posted:

Does sitting down (F3) actually rest your character? Today I'm taking things much more slowly instead of trying to marathon run to the airfield. I still get frequent "I feel exhausted" and similar messages even though I take a seat for a few minutes before doing anything.

No. Dean Hall confirmed on Sacriels stream that F3 does nothing. The exhaustion messages are entirely food/drink related.

As for day servers: All servers are on the same timezone atm which appears to be eastern europe. It's something that'll change in a (hopefully soon) patch

There's more players than zombies atm for two reasons: 1. the number of zombies is set super low on purpose to not stress the servers and 2. everyone is on the coast because everyone is starting fresh at the same time

The system was more ridiculous yesterday because 1. everyone thought exhaustion was a separate, distinct mechanic from hunger/thirst when it doesn't actually exist at all except as a symptom of those and 2. yesterday there was no loot ANYWHERE, it seems they're slowly getting loot spawn fixed so the server doesn't get picked clean the first 5 minutes after restarting

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Wadjamaloo posted:

The pvp in Rust just lacks that visceral feel of dayz. You don't get yourself into bad situations as easily and death is not as much of a consequence. It just don't get the blood pumping the same way as being pinned down by a sniper in dayz and trying to craft a plan to flank him does.
Rust is about nothing more than gearing up and killing people. Dayz has some more intricacy than that, and I'm not talking about rockets dumb rear end realism you need to find toilet paper so you can take poop stuff.

Bear in mind rust is an alpha in a different way, it is literally being built from the ground up, so it doesn't even have a solid engine as a footing, yet in my mind it already does it better. Quick day/night cycle (40 min days, 20 min nights), a much much better light system, local voice chat (yes its distance based, makes for some hilarious interactions). THe gun play and melee still need a lot of work but thats an engine thing. And even where it is right now it is still miles ahead of DayZ's current melee system.

I am curious as to what "intricacies" you think DayZ has? The only thing I can think of is the map for dayz is much better but again, rust is only three months old, dayz is what? a year and a half old now? Rust has a development pace so much faster than rocket. And there are events that can drive conflict (daily airdrop event where a plane flies over the map and drops a supply drop at a random location).

Right now as it stands, rust might be slightly less punishing if you die (in that you can spawn back at your camp, assuming it hasn't been raided and destroyed). But I actually see that as a benefit, I have no problem losing everything if I gently caress up, but I hate being hit in the head from a man I never even saw only to lose everything. Also it makes playing with friends so much easier.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
My DayZ standalone experience

I must have killed like 8 people in Balota with that axe.

I guess it's the mouse acceleration but people can't shoot for poo poo in this game, whenever people are shooting at me I just rush them and go melee.

DrCaptainSir
Jan 29, 2008
Spartacus
The DayZ fanboy in me wants to buy SA but the posts on here make me apprehensive as all hell. I know I was hoping it would be better and I guess I'm just disappointed that it seems like they've made more problems than they have solved. Hacking will be rampant in this in no time and glitches are still as bad if not worse. Unless someone gifts it to me I probably wont buy it until it's half-decent at which time I hope it's not like 50$.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hahaha, who wants to play a game for this:

"When you eat a box of cereal, it restores around 1000 energy, and drains 250 water. Eating sardines only restores 333 energy, but adds close to 100 water. Drinking a can of soda restores a bit less than 150 energy and adds over 300 water, while drinking from a canteen doesn't give any energy, but adds 1000 water."

Solve as efficiently as possible:

If you have 3 sardines, 17 cereal and 7 cans of soda what amount is the most efficient to eat/drink without slipping into unconsciousness?

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 18, 2013

Splendiferous
May 7, 2006

wah dee dah

Blacktoll posted:

"When you eat a box of cereal, it restores around 1000 energy, and drains 250 water. Eating sardines only restores 333 energy, but adds close to 100 water. Drinking a can of soda restores a bit less than 150 energy and adds over 300 water, while drinking from a canteen doesn't give any energy, but adds 1000 water."

Where's that from? Does it have to do with the update they just released? :downs:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Its from the link on the first post:

http://dayzdb.com/news/hunger-and-thirst-in-standalone

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Blacktoll posted:

If you have 3 sardines, 17 cereal and 7 cans of soda what amount is the most efficient to eat/drink without slipping into unconsciousness?

Did you ever play any roguelike? managing resources, items having different values, tracking multiple stats etc etc are staples of the genre. Day Z is known for incorporating some roguelike elements.

At the end of the day while playing the game you can just eat whatever food you come by you're not really forced to maintain a healthy diet.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Blacktoll posted:

LoL forums posted:

AT LEVEL 12
Quote:
Control Stats:
AD: 50 + 3*12 + 0.5*12 + 3 + 15 + 10 + 10 +80 = 210
AS: 0.66*( 1 + 0.03*11 + 0.25 + 0.04) = 1.07
Armor Penetration: 1 - 0.9 = 10%
Critical Strike Chance: = 25%
Critical Strike Damage: 200 + 50 + 10 = 260%
Flat Armor Penetration is ignored because I assume you can do a “number - 6 on the fly.” Therefore, in the armor values given here, 100 armor is actually being treated as 106.
Armor values will be 50, 100, and 150.

Control DPS:
210*1.07*(1 + 0.25*1.6) = 314.6 dps
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2419853

From a random forum post from literally the most popular PC game in the world (maybe, probably, I think, according to some stats). Some people like min/maxing dude, nothing weird about that.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

GarethOmni posted:

The DayZ fanboy in me wants to buy SA but the posts on here make me apprehensive as all hell. I know I was hoping it would be better and I guess I'm just disappointed that it seems like they've made more problems than they have solved. Hacking will be rampant in this in no time and glitches are still as bad if not worse. Unless someone gifts it to me I probably wont buy it until it's half-decent at which time I hope it's not like 50$.

Gareth, consider the sources of these posts though, these forums are filles with some of the most miserable people on the Internet. If you enjoyed dayz mod, youll have fun here, but it really is an alpha test, not a demo.

Update rolled out just now:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154520-pending-update-rev-113772/

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Blacktoll posted:

gently caress optimization. Deck all the cereal till full, drink water till full.

Then shoot you in the face while you're still busy trying to decide the most "efficient" way to eat your cornflakes.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm sad that the cooking pot that I held on to for hours had no actual use. I wanted to fill it with some water, pour some raw rice I found in it and sit it over a campfire.

Still don't know how to make a campfire though.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I wish I had the loopholes these poopsocking twitch streamers have.

One guy has over 8k people watching him fumble around the SA when he wonders if the servers are updating "Oh I'll just ask Dean, one second"

:arghfist:

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Ah, the 7.62 do work in the Mosin, you just gotta empty the ammo box first then chamber the rounds.

edit: Can't open any doors now... cool...

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 18, 2013

swebonny
Aug 24, 2010
The item models are gorgeous. Runs fine as well. The only problem I'm having is my character getting wiped from time to time.

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

Bumming Your Scene posted:

edit: Can't open any doors now... cool...

Same, must be the patch.

in regards to character/inventory wipes: when you join a game, the first thing you should check is your inventory. If anything is different from how you remember it, or if you spawn as a new survivor, disconnect right away. Don't stay around long enough for the game to overwrite anything. The main menu will show the default gear, but your previous state most likely still exists. Join any other server, no need to quit the game. This trick may take a couple of tries, and it probably will not work every time. I've recovered my own characters twice so far.

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 18, 2013

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...

quote:

New: force feed other players

Luitpold fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 18, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Well time to torture pubbies by handcuffing them and force feeding them all of their food until they vomit.

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

So use the filter setting and enter 113772, because the majority of servers aren't resetting themselves and for some reason older servers aren't automatically flagged incompatible by the patched version. I thought Rocket had some BI staff on his project? :raise:

edit: well, most of the servers have caught up at this point so I guess I'm just splitting hairs.

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 18, 2013

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

always be closing posted:

Gareth, consider the sources of these posts though, these forums are filles with some of the most miserable people on the Internet. If you enjoyed dayz mod, youll have fun here, but it really is an alpha test, not a demo.

Update rolled out just now:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/154520-pending-update-rev-113772/

That's right don't listen to people who hate tedious nongame bullshit that never works correctly if you want to play DayZ.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

That's right don't listen to people who hate tedious nongame bullshit that never works correctly if you want to play DayZ.

WERE JUST A BUNCH OF NEGATIVE NANCIES

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
I was looking forward to this but from the footage I've seen on Twitch I'm getting serious WarZ vibes :(

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
I want to forcefeed people rotten bananas. That patch-note alone is about to sell me on the game, I'm gonna wait a few and see if my common sense will win out and save me the $30 though.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Welp, I think I beat Day Z. I found a corpse that had a tricked out M16 with about 160 rounds of ammo, a 36 slot backpack, all kinds of military gear and all the food, drinks and medical supplies I'd ever need and a bunch of other poo poo that's probably handy. Since zombies are so rare and they die to a single bullet I declare myself winner and will probably not play until significant updates happen.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Now you you can force feed people tainted food rather than just murdering them.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Republicans posted:

Welp, I think I beat Day Z. I found a corpse that had a tricked out M16 with about 160 rounds of ammo, a 36 slot backpack, all kinds of military gear and all the food, drinks and medical supplies I'd ever need and a bunch of other poo poo that's probably handy. Since zombies are so rare and they die to a single bullet I declare myself winner and will probably not play until significant updates happen.

I found a rock.

Mind you, this was earlier this afternoon before the patch.

Splendiferous
May 7, 2006

wah dee dah
WHY THE gently caress IS IT ALWAYS NIGHT

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Republicans posted:

The true spirit of Day Z dictates that you go out and murder a bunch of people until you finally get yours in a hilarious way.

Splendiferous posted:

I've been on like four or five that were in a day cycle. Some people seem to be saying it's tied to the timezone the server is in :shrug: you just kinda gotta check around

PrivRyan
Aug 3, 2012

This rock smells like stone.
Don't play until doors are able to open.

In a literal sense. I can't open loving doors. Jesus christ, I can't drink from the water pumps they just made drinkable.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Republicans posted:

Did you play much of the DayZ mod? You're going to die in one of the following horrible ways:

1. Plinked in the dome by a fresh spawn with a Makarov.

2. Killed with an axe by someone you never see coming while you check loot somewhere.

3. Insta-killed by some kind of weird and bugged game geometry. Maybe you'll close a door, it will hit you, and you'll break your legs and fall unconscious. The only zombie for kilometers will wander by and beat you to death.

4. You'll log off and when you come back it will all be gone.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

The Droid posted:

Now you you can force feed people tainted food rather than just murdering them.

Forcefeed people food laced with pine sol or whatever like in The Sixth Sense.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Splendiferous posted:

It's tied to the server time, so if it's in US it'll turn dark at peak US hours. Most mod servers ran reversed time zones as a result. The game models 12 hours of daylight and 10 hours of night, and 2 hours of dusk/dawn.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

This whole time cycle problem could be solved if they reduce the day/night cycle from 24 hours to 12; not really realistic mind you, but neither is having to drink water or eat every 10 minutes.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Ularg posted:

Well time to torture pubbies by handcuffing them and force feeding them all of their food until they vomit.

My buddies and I decided that we're going to hold people hostage and steal their blood, then let them think they're walking away alive with their poo poo, and when they get 10 yards or so out shoot them in the back of the head.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

RizieN posted:

My buddies and I decided that we're going to hold people hostage and steal their blood, then let them think they're walking away alive with their poo poo, and when they get 10 yards or so out shoot them in the back of the head.

First you have to aim the gun, thats the limiting factor in the majority of encounters I've had. A hatchet is the best weapon in the game right now because the aiming is squirrely and hosed.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Excuse the noobie questions, I never played the original.

Are there multiple servers?
Are there Australian servers?
Can I still have fun playing this game if I don't have friends to play with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

I think there's a major issue with server swapping right now. disconnect when you get killed > join new server > your status reverts and you keep all items

this is probably why there are so many dudes with full 35 slot packs and m16s roaming around. they still drop gear on death, I guess duplicates are spreading from hive to hive. I twoshot a guy with full head to toe GI gear, he was sprinting around madcap with his flashlight on in a metro area like an actual noobie while giving zero fucks, which seems off to me. Server reset isn't helping things, of course.

PrivRyan posted:

Don't play until doors are able to open.

In a literal sense. I can't open loving doors. Jesus christ, I can't drink from the water pumps they just made drinkable.

open your filters on the server browser and enter 113772 in the first box. most servers have updated. if you did this, try verifying the game cache.

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 18, 2013