Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So apparently people have already managed to either import the SA map to DayZ mod or otherwise Mod the standalone:

It also turns out that ARMA2 scripts and hacks and all work pretty much the same in the standalone.

Edit: Apparently the image shows people using Chernarus + in ARMA3, not in DayZ mod.

That's all Arma 3 HUD and content besides the SA map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I absolutely love the night in this game. Maybe it's my gamma that's just at the right setting for me but I can see fairly well outdoors but I need to wager the risk/reward of using flashlights indoors because I absolutely can't see poo poo inside. Had an absolutely nerve wracking 20 minute firefight with 2 dudes vs our 2 guys at the NW airfield.

We basically ran around when our third guy came on and had our first point man with a M4 equipped with a flashlight and lit up the night ahead for us as we used him as a guide/bait. So rad, the lighting just looks so goddamn cool.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Seems like hacking is already pretty widespread: http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1t5vp7/hacks_are_already_happening/

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Has anyone managed to succesfully snipe with the Mosin Nagant (with the Sniper scope)?

I can't even seem to pull off crouched/prone 200-300 meter shots with any reliability and I've had so many bumbling fools get away because the rifle seems to shoot wherever it drat well pleases

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

The Mash posted:

Has anyone managed to succesfully snipe with the Mosin Nagant (with the Sniper scope)?

I can't even seem to pull off crouched/prone 200-300 meter shots with any reliability and I've had so many bumbling fools get away because the rifle seems to shoot wherever it drat well pleases

Didn't get my hands on a mosin with some ammo yet but I've been having a hellish time hitting anything with either the FNX or the M4 from any distance. I think that the FOV settings mess with the scopes and reticles.

Try editting your dayz profile and changing the FOV value back to 1, I did that and can hit a little bit better, still trying it out.

In anyway, there's an open issue in the bugtracker where the MOA of the M4 was changed from something like 0.00175 in ARMA2 to about 0.1 in DayZ standalone, that means it's 100 times less accurate, I've got a feeling this appleis to all weapons.

Firearms also seem pretty drat weak compared to melee weapons, I just took out a pair of dudes with a fireaxe, one of them was trying to fire his M4 at me the whole time, he only hit me once and I didn't even start bleeding.

Editx2: I took out a pack of 8 zombies with a baseball bat without getting hit once just circle strafing them, switching to first person really helps and I recommend re-binding POV change to an accesible key for melee brawls (I rebound mine to mouse button 5).

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 18, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Yea I don't get circle strafing. I tried that on a zombie and he hit me with a ton of room between us and I was behind him. Made me bleed too. In contrast I couldn't hit him at all.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
So is the axe basically the best weapon at the moment? The axe one-hit kills zombies while blunt weapons seem to not have any effect (though I haven't tried either out on another player yet), and while I've not managed to shoot one yet, the consensus seems to be that firearms are inaccurate to the point of uselessness.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Below 150ish meters, the M4 works just fine and I've murdered a bunch of people with it

Baby Cakes
Nov 3, 2005

I AM BECOME DEATH

emanresu tnuocca posted:

My FPS was terrible at first but now it's pretty decent,

I posted some optimizations in the previous thread but Baby Cakes is too much of a pro to post helpful information in the OP, so here you go:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549597&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=74#post423313109

I have PMs you know. Added to the OP.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I don't :clint:

Microsoft Weird
Sep 11, 2007

Ularg posted:

Yea I don't get circle strafing. I tried that on a zombie and he hit me with a ton of room between us and I was behind him. Made me bleed too. In contrast I couldn't hit him at all.

It isn't true circle strafing which works, as far as I can tell. Instead of circling around your opponent while staying slightly ahead of their aim, double tap to sprint, take a wider berth and kite them in a kind of triangular pattern just outside of attack range.

Other players can be much worse to deal with. Against an axe wielder in close quarters, don't even try using a firearm, automatic or otherwise. Unless the enemy is crouching down and standing still, or walking in a straight line, you probably won't even graze them. A player with an axe will lag around tight corridors, randomly run at a wall for three seconds while you're firing a 30 round magazine directly onto their face, and then suddenly land two blows as the server catches up. If you get caught in melee combat, just embrace it. Charge in, scream into your mic. The crazy axe murderer guy is DayZ's posterchild, anyways.

Microsoft Weird fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 18, 2013

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I don't always understand this hale at all.

I was playing with Orvi, NearChaos and someone else.
Checking out the Balota Airfield, I was wearing a helmet, military uniform, mil backback, an axe and a M4.

First I saw a bleeding dude ran past me. He screamed for help so I told him over direct chat he need to bandage himself. I tore one of my spare shirts and gave those and his bleeding was done for. In addition he had no magazines for his M4, so I gave him a spare one with ten rounds. He was very thankful.

Right as this is happening, an another dude bleeding runs towards us. I ask him if he needs help too, since he must have heard talking.

Nope; dude has his bat swinging. The other friend just bolts and runs away. The berserk takes aim at me and just keeps coming. I told him I will shoot him and no response. So O goddamn unloaded the M4 on his face. He died.

Why did he do that? He could have gotten help from me! He heard that!

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Vahakyla posted:

Nope; dude has his bat swinging. The other friend just bolts and runs away. The berserk takes aim at me and just keeps coming. I told him I will shoot him and no response. So O goddamn unloaded the M4 on his face. He died.

Why did he do that? He could have gotten help from me! He heard that!

Long story short, Hobbes was right. People are dicks. Most people want the good loot, so if they're basically a fresh spawn with nothing but a melee, they have very little to lose by being a psychotic gently caress, and a lot to potentially gain if they kill someone with better gear. Why work at looting when you can just smack everyone you see in the face and take their stuff? This leads to people with gear being even more defensive and learning to shoot on sight, thus the "kill on sight" mentality that pubbies love to bitch about.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Because you had a shiny rifle and he had nothing to lose. I would have done the same thing.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Aand there goes any interest I had in checking this out :sigh:

Good luck getting that fixed after the beast is already up and running, and the head dev's concern is forcefeeding people rotten bananas until they puke.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Why is mouse acceleration has a toggle switch that could not be turned off?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

Aand there goes any interest I had in checking this out :sigh:

Good luck getting that fixed after the beast is already up and running, and the head dev's concern is forcefeeding people rotten bananas until they puke.

Supposedly making anti-hack measures like he wanted involves changing the Arma 3 engine enough that other things might stop working.

Basically rocket is an incompetent liar.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Did you really think that it would be hacker free? No games are hacker free, but the ARMA II engine was extremely vulnerable due to the permissions the client had to overrule the server. That has been reversed, and stuff like C130s falling from the sky and on top of your head will be less likely.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
So let me get this straight all the promises and talking about reworking the server archtecture to prevent people from injecting commands and spawning stuff. Was complete and utter bullshit?

:psyboom:

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

We need a :dice:-like emoticon for rocket.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

Uranium 235 posted:

We need a :dice:-like emoticon for rocket.
How about this?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

UberJumper posted:

So let me get this straight all the promises and talking about reworking the server archtecture to prevent people from injecting commands and spawning stuff. Was complete and utter bullshit?

:psyboom:

No? It is reworked. Doesn't mean that people can't do ESP hacks and stuff.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Of the hundreds of posts discussing the technical aspects of the hacking:

Rocket2Guns on Reddit posted:

Hacks appear, patches get released. That's how this thing works.

Pretty worrisome. I was considering picking it up for the future even though I only ever get burned by Early Access titles. Until hacking gets fixed in a big way I'll just not.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I'm trying to avoid being a fan boy, but you guys being amazed that an alpha has day 1 hacks really makes me :psyduck:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, the new subtitle for this thread should be: "buy alpha, complain it's alpha".

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

BlueGrot posted:

I'm trying to avoid being a fan boy, but you guys being amazed that an alpha has day 1 hacks really makes me :psyduck:
Really? After all this talk about changing the structure? I know it's an alpha, but didn't he say he put a lot of work into preventing stuff like this?

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Ninja fetus posted:

Really? After all this talk about changing the structure? I know it's an alpha, but didn't he say he put a lot of work into preventing stuff like this?

The hacks available seem to be ESP hacks, and they are unavoidable. The client is being sent information from the server(enemies, loot) and hackers use overlays to see the location of these through walls, NOT injected scripts or server side hacks, like the ones that plagued the mod. The only sure way to catch somebody using an ESP hack is to get a local screenshot.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I didn't check for myself but the Reddit crowd claims item spawning, teleportation, god mode and script injection in general are all possible. All of these issues were supposed to have been prevented by the very existence of the new server architecture.

So either something is very wrong or there's simply some gaping security back door that needs to be plugged. Let's hope it's the latter.

I'm also somewhat confused at the network bubble allegedly only providing information in a 600m radius as it's possible to engage targets further than that, will players just pop out of existence past 600m?

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Decided to get it last night, first spawn I ran into someone in like the first 5 minutes (I remember it taking forever before I found another person in the mod), I had nothing and they had an M4, headlamp, and other gear. Clearly they hadn't played before because they instantly declared they weren't going to hurt me and even offered me some food. I spent the next hour following them and going into buildings looking for something to kill them with, but when I finally found an ax they had either given me the slip or logged out :(

Zombies are stupidly rare, I think I might have seen like 20 after 4 hours of playing. Sneaking up on the ones standing still and killing them with an ax or pipe wrench is kinda satisfying, but they never seem to have anything on them, maybe they just don't now. Died of bleeding out after a zombie got the drop on me, managed to find bandages in a fire station, but there were zombies there too, so yeah. Then I died due to starvation, with about 3~5 can goods on me.

After that I died due to a ladder breaking my loving legs in those new apartment buildings north of Cherno and just not giving enough of a gently caress of trying to get out of there and finding the necessary things to fix the legs. I ate all the food I had, which was big bag of powdered milk and a rotten apple, then used all my bandages and pain killers. I was somehow able to go up the ladder with broken legs, so I dropped my gear and clothes all over the roof, and crawled off it with a hat and gloves on while holding the battery from the flashlight. I hope someone found that corpse and was thoroughly confused.

I think I'm probably enjoying it more since I quit playing the DayZ mod before all those fancy mods for it started happening so this has a few more features and seems a bit more stable. Hopefully it will be more fun when it's actually daytime on the server.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The food and drink timers are so borked that combined with there being no zombies and players with pea shooter guns it feels more like playing the sims or some thing. You just spend your whole time rooting around for food and drink and then 5 mins later "I FEEL HUNGRY".

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Zombies won't have loot according to Rocket, it hurts performance too much for some reason.

Also, you don't need bandages to stop bleeding, you can tear your clothes into rags and use those as bandages, your starting t-shirt is basically a free bandage pack.

Regarding weapons being inaccurate pea shooters, I think some scopes are just broken at the moment. The m4 with a red dot seems pretty effective at killing, with an ACOG it's complete garbage though. It's also possible that the status of the weapon components affect its accuracy and damage.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

I keep losing all my progress. When I log in I have maybe a 50-50 chance of respawning with my gear. The rest of the time I start as a fresh spawn.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I haven't tested it yet, but supposedly the "My hunger/thirst is quenched" is only notifying that you just stopped the cravings. You can still eat and drink a fair portion more until you get "I am no longer thirsty/hungry" and then you can play for like 2 hours without getting any messages.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

cormac posted:

I keep losing all my progress. When I log in I have maybe a 50-50 chance of respawning with my gear. The rest of the time I start as a fresh spawn.

Try logging in to the same server you've last played on. I kept my characters successfully whole day by playing on a single server.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

The Mash posted:

Below 150ish meters, the M4 works just fine and I've murdered a bunch of people with it

Ouch! By ArmA2 standards that's a considerable change. You ought to be able to reliably shoot out to double that, really.

buy a hotdog!
Oct 24, 2010
Why is the mouselook so borked? Up and down seems okay but turning left and right is sluggish as hell no matter how much you play with the mouse settings. It's a pain in the rear end especially inside buildings.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

buy a hotdog! posted:

Why is the mouselook so borked? Up and down seems okay but turning left and right is sluggish as hell no matter how much you play with the mouse settings. It's a pain in the rear end especially inside buildings.

That would be the mouse acceleration, which can't be disabled at the moment.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sulman posted:

Ouch! By ArmA2 standards that's a considerable change. You ought to be able to reliably shoot out to double that, really.
It's more a DayZ thing, the blood system means most of the "lower" calibre weapons are a bit anaemic and only wound with single shots.

I think the DayZ standard is 4 solid body shots for a kill with 5.56 NATO. It's a bit ridiculous if you're used to the normal game where 1-2 shots centre of mass will drop anyone.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything
Yeah turns out Rocket is full of poo poo once again.

Oh and you know how he said it's been taking so long to build the "server bubble" and thats why this poo poo took so long. Well this is all it takes to show EVERY PLAYER:

quote:

if (isServer) then {
svrallplayers = players;
publicVariable "svrallplayers";
};

Oh and better this poo poo here can be done with loving cheat engine:

Can't wait for people to parrot the standard reddit response at this "IT'S ALPHA"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

tooterfish posted:

It's more a DayZ thing, the blood system means most of the "lower" calibre weapons are a bit anaemic and only wound with single shots.

I think the DayZ standard is 4 solid body shots for a kill with 5.56 NATO. It's a bit ridiculous if you're used to the normal game where 1-2 shots centre of mass will drop anyone.

Basically you're correct as normal ARMA 2 entities have the equivalent of 4500 'blood' while dayz players have 12,000 which does render STANAG shooters a bit wimpy, however this has little bearing on their accuracy.

An M16 ACOG could shoot accurately and hit a person almost a kilometer away. In standalone shots veer wildly at really short ranges, hitting a target with an M4 ACOG at 200m is really luck based in standalone.