Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordOfWar
Feb 23, 2007
YOU ARE NO MATCH FOR ME!!!

RadioPassive posted:

I'm also interested in playing Official, because it provides a supply of idiot newbies to shoot at. Private/custom servers tend to be full of people who actually know what they're doing and can't be tricked into drinking bleach.

I think alot just browse random servers, I feel the longer you are on a server the more boring it becomes but not been in a group, just solo for so long now, need our DAyZ group to cause some havok :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Here’s a link to the Discord we’d used previously:

https://discord.gg/NS3GcGKE

I’m down to play sometime

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
there are some terrible hand bugs in the spaghetti code these days

LordOfWar
Feb 23, 2007
YOU ARE NO MATCH FOR ME!!!

tehinternet posted:

Here’s a link to the Discord we’d used previously:

https://discord.gg/NS3GcGKE

I’m down to play sometime

Nice, just joined, more than happy to play if others are on, but work during the day and in the UK so probably rarely see me

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

The Fear posted:

there are some terrible hand bugs in the spaghetti code these days

lol the game occasionally bluescreens too

but also there are beanbag shotgun rounds so you can beanbag people unconscious without hurting them and tie their wrists with barbed wire so they bleed if they struggle

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
There's no crossplay, is there? Or does anyone play on console? I have the game on PS5.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
I just got back into DayZ, and I really recommend folks try the StalkerZ mod and Escape from Tarkov mod if you want to get back into DayZ but with with a different MP experience.

There's a bunch of different Stalker servers and Escape from Tarkov modded servers, so the setups will of course vary, but they've both really change the experience entirely.

I'm actually playing on a server that has both Stalker mods (influenced by the STALKER Anomoly mod) and the Tarkov mods called Escape from Pripyat which runs the exclusionzone map with the Tarkov extraction/loot/safezone system. There's a safezone area with traders and various extraction spots around the map and all the Tarkov gear/loot so you got valuables like gold chains etc. That's on top of the anomalies you can collect (I haven't figured out though how to find or throw a bolt at them). Most Tarkov modded servers also have safezone loot storage spaces that cant be raided (the server I'm on doesnt have it configured yet).

This server that I'm on happens to be PVP (Escape From Pripyat GoonGamingGroup server) but with these mods I think you'd have a decent PVE (or PVE with PVP zones) setup too. Server I'm on is super low pop, so its basically PVE at this point.

The Stalker mods make the game basically like a MP version of the STALKER anomoly mod with mutants, anomolies, artefacts, quests and even have NPC stalkers chilling round a fire playing guitar. Artefacts sell for big money, while you can also sell mutant parts for less.

The Tarkov mod makes the game into what Tarkov really should have always been (and what the developers still maintain will one-day happen lol :rolleyes:) before it got too popular (i.e. open world survival instead of arena PvP with loot). Safezone with traders, storage spaces for rent, the different loot from Tarkov (i.e. gold chains, gold skull rings, graphics cards etc.).

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 2, 2023

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
So steam says I put 226 hours into the Arma 2 mod version of DayZ. I last played in late 2012. This month a rash of youtube videos finally got me to bite the bullet and buy DayZ. Having a decent time with it despite being terrible, and occasionally playing with a goon friend that I played with a ton 10 years ago.

However, the public servers are insane. And most modded servers I pick at random are confusing as poo poo with side games and role playing(?) and God knows what.

What we'd like the most is a community server running the basic gameplay, with (of course) more loot.

RadioPassive posted:

A nongoon friend and I have been getting into fun shootouts on the private server named Saviors #1, it has high loot spawns so getting gunned up and starting fights is quick.

I tried one of the Saviors servers last night. Seems to fit the bill nicely. Crap luck with ammo, but stumbled onto 5-6 guns within 10 minutes or so.

Would love to know of any other servers along these lines. Custom maps are cool - would just like the basic gameplay to be in place, with it easier to get kitted up.

RadioPassive posted:

I've been playing on a DayZ server with vanilla rules and faster loot spawns (but still vanilla loot).

On the chance that you see this - any chance you know the name?

Anyone know of others that fit the bill?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Get at me on the dayz goonsquad discord and let's play some saviors sometime, yeah

https://discord.gg/9wRVQGvZ

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
I'm one of the very few remaining vanilla DayZ Mod holdouts. There's one server in Europe that's still active, DayZ Europa, and it's... interesting. There's barely any materials left about how to actually play the game, the "official" DayZ wiki is outdated, there aren't any githubs or documentation describing game mechanics; if you want to figure out, for instance, how basebuilding works in the vanilla mod, your only option is to ask one of the remaining players who still remember all of the arcane mechanics.

In a couple of years, this game will be gone and forgotten, because everyone who knows how to set up a server will have moved on to something else, and the only way to experience the original DayZ mod will be through YouTube videos. This has already happened to scores of different Arma 2 mods, most notably (and regrettably) Sa-Matra's Wasteland.

The mod turned 10 years old last April and that was barely acknowledged by the community. I think the game deserves better.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
all the base building was the beginning of the end for peak dayz, at least for me, I think DayZ mod peak popularity can't be recaptured as it was basically the first of its genre and managed to fill a niche that didn't get fully exploited by the battle royale genre, and of course you also kind of have to note how Bethesda thought it was a good idea to develop DayZ SA into an survival anti-game instead of trying to preserve the huge existing community that apparently loved the balance of the original mod.

I still think there's probably money on the table here for some competent developer that will take a crack at the genre and modernize it a bit, DayZ mod was a lightning in a bottle, while you could squint at early PUBG and kind of imagine those same 'vibes' you got when scoping NWAF on a cold Chernarussian morning it's really not the same, investing 25 minutes into a round focused entirely on guaranteed PVP is not the same, hearing a rifle crack in the distance in DayZ mod was exhilarating in a way no other game ever managed.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

emanresu tnuocca posted:

all the base building was the beginning of the end for peak dayz, at least for me, I think DayZ mod peak popularity can't be recaptured as it was basically the first of its genre and managed to fill a niche that didn't get fully exploited by the battle royale genre, and of course you also kind of have to note how Bethesda thought it was a good idea to develop DayZ SA into an survival anti-game instead of trying to preserve the huge existing community that apparently loved the balance of the original mod.

The development story behind the Standalone is extremely hosed up, too. That project was mismanaged to hell, had barely any content and maybe 15% of the mechanics provided by even the vanilla DayZ mod until late 2016... poo poo, I remember how for the first two years after launch, zombies would just walk through buildings because they launched without a working navmesh for the AI. Nearly every system in the game launched in a broken state, and the devs seemingly didn't care about any short-term fixes because those would delay important systems such as horticulture. Remember how those small prison cell buildings had an exploit where you could hide in a wall, so they just removed all of the loot spawns from those buildings for two years? Good times.

Personally, I blame Brian Hicks for this. He should have spent less time bitching about his ex-wife on Twitter and more time actually recapturing what made the game successful in the first place.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mismanaged makes it sound like a terrible accident. Bohemia took all the money and ran; they realized that everyone had already paid them for the game, so why bother developing it? Instead they invested the money into Vigor, which was basically fully developed during the time in which dayz SA made no progress. SA was left out to dry with minimal resources because there was no financial sense in it for them.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Jesus, I forgot about Vigor. Is it still a game? Does anyone play it?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
The early mod experiences were incredible. Completely unique.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I still think there's probably money on the table here for some competent developer that will take a crack at the genre and modernize it a bit, DayZ mod was a lightning in a bottle, while you could squint at early PUBG and kind of imagine those same 'vibes' you got when scoping NWAF on a cold Chernarussian morning it's really not the same, investing 25 minutes into a round focused entirely on guaranteed PVP is not the same, hearing a rifle crack in the distance in DayZ mod was exhilarating in a way no other game ever managed.

Yeah, core concept DayZ was basically abandoned and ruined by Bohemia. It's so hard to capture what really really worked with DayZ mod, although Sovietwomble's video essays do capture some of it.

I also think that the most significant split was the base building elements added to DayZ, but so long as there were optional versions (with destructible bases) it wasn't too onerous. The main problem with it (outside of indestructible stuff) was that it incentivized safe zones and turtling/hoarding and that just kills active gameplay and leads to useless drama over tin can hoards. Successful games with a base building element today are nearly always PVE focused and cooperative rather than PVP.

And DayZ, baby, is P. V. P. It is the shotty duel in Berezino, it's that 800 meter headshot, it's a team pushing on an entrenched position, it is luck and skill trumps all. The minute DayZ pvp was deemphazised and discouraged in the Standalone (outside of the lovely development) was the day the music died.

That and Bohemia took our money and ran.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
DayZ for me is bleaching goons when they aren’t looking

Being protected by gramps on candy cane with a scoped mosin

Making new spawns fight to the death and then bleaching the winner

It’s *map rustles* being told that there’s a guy by the tree

It’s “WIGGLE WIGGLE *gunshot*… YOU DIDN’T WIGGLE”

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's funny but I remember that first week of DaySA with the meme 'funny taste in your mouth' and the game screaming at you for being 'low on energy and tired' because "lol food is energy like don't you guys get it?" and there was pretty much only a single item worth looting in the entire map which happened to be the M4 and I think that for about a week the game was actually chaotic and fun, it's really crazy to think that the focus from that point wasn't "let's add some more content!!!" but was rather "okay now we're going to dedicate the next three months on getting the loot damage mechanics in place and tweaking the dehydration rates for a bit, we'll add an AK in half a year or so, don't worry about it".

And I agree that the fault lies more with Hicks than with Rocket (although the BI management certainly get their share of the blame) - Rocket at least was a true believer, Hicks was just driven by the inertia of Rocket's vision, I remember in the early days when they added some pink dress into the game and the 'meta' became finding a pink dress and a gun and going to troll newspawns on the beach so Hicks made some hysterical comment about how players whose concept of fun involves those kind of activities are going to be disappointed because the game is not going to cater to them, what was gained from actively trying to drive away large parts of the community? it was always possible to try to cater to all play styles, that's what the freaking free mod managed to do. What a mess, really.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's funny but I remember that first week of DaySA with the meme 'funny taste in your mouth' and the game screaming at you for being 'low on energy and tired' because "lol food is energy like don't you guys get it?" and there was pretty much only a single item worth looting in the entire map which happened to be the M4 and I think that for about a week the game was actually chaotic and fun

Say no more. I have the perfect time capsule, right here, featuring the ol' reliable "log out and back in to fix your broken legs"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiAzwVtXrcE

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeah, core concept DayZ was basically abandoned and ruined by Bohemia. It's so hard to capture what really really worked with DayZ mod, although Sovietwomble's video essays do capture some of it.

I also think that the most significant split was the base building elements added to DayZ, but so long as there were optional versions (with destructible bases) it wasn't too onerous. The main problem with it (outside of indestructible stuff) was that it incentivized safe zones and turtling/hoarding and that just kills active gameplay and leads to useless drama over tin can hoards. Successful games with a base building element today are nearly always PVE focused and cooperative rather than PVP.

And DayZ, baby, is P. V. P. It is the shotty duel in Berezino, it's that 800 meter headshot, it's a team pushing on an entrenched position, it is luck and skill trumps all. The minute DayZ pvp was deemphazised and discouraged in the Standalone (outside of the lovely development) was the day the music died.

That and Bohemia took our money and ran.

DayZ mod was definitely in the top3 for me in regards to online gaming/teamwork genre. Had so much fun with goons during those days.
I spent way to many hours on this game, but it was fun as hell.
When the basebuilding was kinda introduced I bugged off - it was to buggy for me, ruined some of the essence.
For me it was more or less jumping on a server with some goons, getting parts and fix a chopper. Then roam around looking for other crews to bonk.

Can't totally remember, but I believe we started played on servers in the beginning with auto-rangefinder & tags on. Later on we moved to servers with no guidance at all.
I think I spent a good deal of hours learning all the scopes, mildots, and practicing on local-test servers to figure out my rangefinding on the scopes. Just so I could hopefully one-shot people from 300-800m distances.

The mod & game had so many bugs, but we worked around it somehow.
Apparently I have videos from back then lying around. Only game I ever captured any video from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgA6FPkyZZk

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.pcgamer.com/day-z-2-revealed-by-the-us-federal-trade-commission/

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

maybe i'm broken but i just started playing this again, and holy poo poo it is actually fun. i haven't died to a bug yet, idgi

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Showstopping bugs kinda stopped being a thing around 2016, but that's also the point at which most people wrote the game off because it spent two years in barely playable early access without any features prior to that

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Showstopping bugs kinda stopped being a thing around 2016, but that's also the point at which most people wrote the game off because it spent two years in barely playable early access without any features prior to that

Having a cheater talk poo poo to me, appear in front of me, run a command to make me drop my gun as he picked up the gun then shot me with my gun —while honestly quality trolling— was the line for me. I never seriously went back after that in 2015.

E: and no side chat as an intentional design choice at that time so not only did you have a cheater ruin your time, you had no way to report them! What could have gone wrong???

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, the game actually did become playable circa 2016-2018 but it lost all momentum long before then.

I still play solo pretty often, mostly on a large private server that’s setup vanilla but with increased gun spawn rates. No need to leave the coast, just grab a handgun and the M4’s come to you.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

tehinternet posted:

E: and no side chat as an intentional design choice at that time so not only did you have a cheater ruin your time, you had no way to report them! What could have gone wrong???

Side chat would have required an admin to be present in every single one of those five hundred servers they hosted on the official hive at launch. Remember, we didn't get private hives or any in-depth admin tools until way, way later.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I play here and there still, namalsk is fuckin hilarious fun with the right randoms around

k-spar
Sep 25, 2004

Anyone got a non expired goonsquad discord invite?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

The discord’s been pretty dead for a while but if you wanna revive it and torture pubbies some time, I’m in.

https://discord.gg/wRPCPmcW

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
This still sucks, right? It didn't get good, right?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Eh it's alright.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

This still sucks, right? It didn't get good, right?

Ten years later it’s firmly as good as Arma 3 mods

Mission Accomplished

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

The Arma 2 mod is still better :colbert:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Not good enough to justify giving Bohemia money, not after the lovely business practices they've pulled.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

armpit_enjoyer posted:

The Arma 2 mod is still better :colbert:

*hand waggles*

*hand waggling intensifies*

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
there is no mod but one

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

I wanted to play the mod again and it turns out the last great server went offline on August 1st ;_;

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Maybe Arma Reforger DayZ will be good? I mean it's the same engine basically...

So what's a good modded server to play on? I got a hankering for looting again, but vanilla is a bit of a drag.

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Any goons playing this on PS5? I just got it about a week ago and i'm hooked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

burexas.irom posted:

Any goons playing this on PS5? I just got it about a week ago and i'm hooked
I do play from time to time on PS if you want to (attempt to) group up. PSN is MosquitoJones. If you send a friend invite add you're a goon so I don't mistake you for a random weirdo; I'll know you're a specific weirdo :v: