Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Because Rocket, that's why. Fuckin' jerk.

I'm going to go ahead and preemptively buy this poo poo, because I actually want to play the standalone later and I know they're gonna up the price the minute this is remotely playable. But I'm not going to do it with my happy face on. No siree bob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

WMain00 posted:

I'm literally rolling on the floor laughing this.

You know that Rocket is a troll, whose development is a disastrous pisstake of ineptitude, arrogance and idiocy - but you're going to throw money at him anyway?

Bravo, sir.

Hahahaha yeah, you're figuratively rolling on the floor laughing. You're literally sitting on your rear end silently typing about how a stranger spends his money. If it will give you peace of mind; disregarding sawsuck (and why wouldn't you), I'm probably the person in this thread with the most money to toss away on bullshit. My fiscal situation is fine. Thank you for worrying.

I've had a lot of fun with DayZ. I might have a lot of fun on the SA. It's worth a shot, seeing as the current product tells me nothing about six months down the line. Too bad Rocket didn't wait until he had a more finished product, but as I love ARMA I don't feel bad about throwing Bohemia of all companies some of my cash.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
^^^ Do it. I double loving dare you. Edit: gently caress you, I do what I want.

Bumming Your Scene posted:

The thing is.. I stopped playing the mod before they announced they were going to do a stand alone version, and I can't really notice anything different now. You can choose clothes and the ui is a little different, but I don't see what took a year of work here.

Anti-Hacking, pretty much. Which to be fair, the game BADLY needed some more of. But yeah, it's taken a goddamn while to get here. I'm not thrilled about that, but it's worth giving the SA a chance. Especially since DayZ mod is an ESP nightmare right now.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

always be closing posted:

Nuke this thread please.

Scienceandmusic, step away from the keyboard! hahaha, some of you guys should just stick to dark souls.

Aww, stop picking on Sawchuck. I like Sawchuck, he can be funny when he's not a gaping rear end in a top hat. Which pretty much goes for all of us.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
n/e

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 2, 2014

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Are there servers we should be playing on, that we're sticking to? Or are we on whatever we want? I noticed zombies.nu has some servers.

Also, first impressions: Not bad. Needs a lot of work, but I see a lot of improvements have been made. Not as bad as I had feared at all.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Slim Killington posted:

Mobile Psychiatric Evaluation Unit Field Report – Day 1

The purpose of this field unit is the psychological evaluation and treatment of patients in need of care in the Chernarus area. Recent intelligence has indicated a high level of psychosomatic trauma. Care is dispatched on a to-be-determined basis. NOTE: it has been determined that failure to comply with this unit's evaluations indicates a danger to others. This 7-man team consists of one doctor, one doctor's assistant, one psychologist, two field nurses, one orderly, and one security officer.

Patient 1

Diagnosis: General anxiety disorder
Treatment: Experimental medication (ingested)
Results: Inconclusive
Notes: Encountered alone outside a Berezino supermarket. Patient responded minimally to a full doctor evaluation but was cooperative when asked to do so. Restraint was applied, and patient was given anti-psychotics orally from a spray bottle. Patient showed no reaction and followed instruction to stay clear of the unit upon dismissal.

Patient 2

Diagnosis: Panic disorder, schizophrenia
Results: Inconclusive
Notes: Patient was found wandering nervously in the street. The patient complied with restraint and submitted to psychological evaluation, cooperating with both the questionnaire and ink blot resting. Doctor determined from ink blot testing the patient suffered from schizophrenia and administered anti-psychotics orally from a spray bottle. Patient left restrained to prevent any danger to himself or others.

Following intelligence, the unit moved south to Kamyshovo to address reports of severe cases of psychoses in nearby residents.

Patient 3

Diagnosis: Post-traumatic stress disorder
Treatment: Not applicable
Results: Deceased
Notes: Patient appeared from a tin shack wearing a motorcycle helmet and did not respond to verbal commands. After spinning in place several times, the patient attempted escape without treatment during diagnosis and was fatally shot by the doctor's assistant.

Patient 4

Diagnosis: Trichotillomania, AIDS-related psychosis
Notes: Patient was found hiding in a shack near Patient 3 during Patient 3's evaluation. The patient became visibly agitated when Patient 3 was shot and leaped at the evaluation team assigned to him. During an attempt to flee, the patient was fatally shot by the security officer.

The unit orderly was unfortunately fatally wounded in friendly crossfire resulting in Patient 4's death. A new unit orderly was assigned to the evaluation team.

Patient 5

Diagnosis: Bipolar disorder, extreme anxiety disorder, dementia, hallucinations
Treatment: Several
Results: Unknown
Notes: Patient 5 was found in an abandoned house and began screaming when first encountered. The patient was restrained and calmed, and cooperated willingly with the evaluation survey. When the patients restraints failed, he moved in an aggressive manner and was wounded in the leg by the security officer. The leg wound was treated immediately by the doctor. Doctor requested the patient be brought outdoors for fresh air. The patient was given anti-psychotics from a spray bottle in addition to various other ingested experimental field medications.

Patient 5 began exhibiting extreme depression once outdoors due to the diagnosed bipolar disorder. After talking to himself for several minutes and weeping, the patient fell unconscious for unknown reasons and was presumed deceased.

Patient 6

Diagnosis: Borderline personality disorder
Treatment: None
Notes: This patient was highly cooperative and it was suggested by the doctor's assistant that he be allowed to socialize with Patient 5 in an attempt to improve both persons' wellness. Patient 5, however, could not be located. Patient 6 died later due to unforeseen extraneous circumstances outside the evaluation unit's control.

Patient 7

Diagnosis: Autism
Notes: Patient was found crawling on railroad tracks and was entirely unresponsive to verbal commands. Shot fatally while attempting to escape evaluation.

The unit moved to investigate a strange noise coming from South Kamyshovo and upon opening a warehouse storage building, found Patient 5 in a psychotic break. The patient began screaming, "NOT YOU AGAIN" but was cooperative to restraint. The doctor was again unable to treat the severe manic outbreaks, and the patient was medicated and remained restrained. Patient was noted to begin weeping and saying, "Why does this keep happening?" for unknown reasons.

Patient 8

Diagnosis: Dissociative identity disorder
Notes: Patient 8 was highly cooperative to the doctor's efforts and responded positively during evaluation; treatment was determined to be not necessary. Patient was given a revolver for self-defense and instructed to leave the Kamyshovo area immediately, and complied. This was determined to be the unit's first notably successful treatment.

The doctor found the patient moments later hiding behind a home. Patient 8 approached the doctor and began warning him about a heavily-armed group of men in the road to the north, describing the psychological evaluation he received, and even describing the doctor to himself as if they had not met moments ago. The doctor deemed his identity disorder to be an extreme danger, and fatally shot the patient.

Patient 5 appeared again, this time approaching the evaluation unit of his own volition. The doctor ordered a series of psychological experiments, which began with the unit being instructed to ignore Patient 5 as if he did not exist.

Patient 5 followed and attempted communication with the group and grew increasingly desperate when ignored. The doctor then tested the patient's response to extreme aggression.

Patient 5 responded with a show of aggression and began again screaming, "IS THIS IS HOW IT'S GONNA END?" The unit maintained silence and did not communicate with Patient 5 throughout the trial. The doctor then ordered the unit stand in a similar, non-threatening manner.

Amazingly, Patient 5 responded to the passive display by identifying as a member of the evaluation unit. The doctor then ordered the unit break eye contact and continue not communicating verbally.

Patient 5 again responded aggressively.

Patient 9

Diagnosis: Unknown
Notes: The doctor ordered Patient 9 to be used as a control group for the evaluation of Patient 5. Patient 5 was given a loaded weapon and introduced to Patient 9.

Patient 5 immediately terminated Patient 9, displaying an incredibly high level of excitement and mania.

Patient 5 then recessed into a severe state of depression following the disposal of Patient 9's body.

Patient 10

Diagnosis: Paranoid personality disorder
Notes: The doctor ordered another control test for Patient 5 to determine his ability to act as a member of a group. Patient 5 was given a spray bottle of anti-psychotics and told to administer them to Patient 10, and complied. Patient 5 showed positive reaction at being included and valued in a group setting.

Patient 10 reacted negatively, screaming at Patient 5. This unfortunately triggered the patient's extreme mania, to which he responded by stealing a revolver and fatally shooting Patient 10 at point-blank range. The security officer responded, firing at Patient 5 and wounding him several times in the abdomen.

Patient 5 began urinating blood and was immediately treated by the medical staff members.

Unfortunately, the patient reverted immediately back into severe depression.

END FIELD LOG DAY 1

:golfclap:

You brilliant, brilliant bastards.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
^^^ You can always not shoot someone from a distance, I elect not to shoot people on a regular basis. Mostly because it's not a guaranteed kill, but still. Anyway, shoot on sight. People are the friendliest when dead, they give you all their loot and won't kill you.

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Goddamn it.

So I finally get myself all kitted up, scoped mosin, shitload of ammo, FNX 45 with 2 pristine mags, PU scope, backpack, tac vest, all the good poo poo. I go to Elektro to take some potshots at some people from a hillside, and some zombies show up right as I run out of mosin ammo. Okay, no problem, just swap to pistol, right? I press the hotkey... nothing. I press the hotkey for my axe. Nothing. I drag the axe to my hand from inventory. Nothing. I somehow get beaten to death within ten seconds despite being healthy and no bleed indication. :suicide: I would've just run but I got knocked down as I was trying to get up from my crouch. gently caress.

Welp, that's videogame alphas AND DayZ for you - death by stupid means from an engine glitch AND losing all your progress. :v:

Yeah, I warped through a firestation tower and died, instant black screen and I didn't know what the gently caress. Luckily, I ran back and reclaimed everything, but that was a nasty surprise.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 5, 2014

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

CheeseFactory posted:

Looks like fun though.

Deceptive, isn't it? DayZ has a bit of a learning curve, so make sure to pop in mumble and get friendly advice and gentle ridicule from the useful idiots in alpha squad.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Apple Craft posted:

See, I would have sworn that the stand-alone was supposed to be in the Arma 3 engine. I was honestly surprised when I saw that it wasn't. DayZ combat in the Arma 3 engine would be very, very nice.

Also, I suppose this would be super-ultra-kill on sight?

I might shoot you yeah, but only because you freaked me the gently caress out.

In other news, I'm sort of enjoying the SA. A lot more that I thought I would. Rocket's spergy ultra-realism really speaks to me for some reason, and I'm having a blast simply looting around constantly looking over my shoulder. Still almost got killed on the goon server just now, pubbie spawned in on me while I was in the firestation. I managed to escape while ducking his shots, then he combat logged. Fucker.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
^^^ Just watched that, poor frankie's not got much of a clue yet, but he's still a decent player.

MD posted:

I just shot a guy dead center from 400m with my pristine mosin. I kinda felt bad after, he didnt know what the gently caress. He didn't even have a gun :ohdear:

Gotta say though the scope is hosed. I could barely see the chevron for all the cracks. Does the scope magically make it shoot straight or do i just get lucky on every shot?

How'd you know it's pristine? It's got no tooltip for me.

Myself, I've got all pristine parts and a scope on mine (so good) and I hit a guy in the nuts from 700 meters away. He didn't die though, and my next shot went a good 2 meters wide. Sniping is... less than ideal right now.

I had k-spar as a spotter with me last night, that was awesome. Sniper-teaming it up is a great way to pvp.

Edit: The inaccuracy is a bit stupid, to be honest. Guns shoot straight as long as the sighting implement is functional, there's no need to make things extra difficult, though I will accept that poor quality guns have bad aim. In that case, guns need a tooltip. I want to know what condition my mosin is in.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 7, 2014

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Fog Tripper posted:

Yeah, about mumble informing. Multiple subgroups in mumble; which do you inform? Loud and chatty cathys in mumble doing their thing when you attempt to inform; yell louder than them over your mic?

There was so much chaos in mumble for the most part yesterday with simultaneous pubby spotting/warning and people acting like Ralphie on xmas day with every item they came across. Didn't seem to be a ton of restraint/brevity. When trying to "inform" on mumble, its not always that simple.

There needs to be a room in mumble for LLJK and then subs inside that for the individual groups. In addition to main rooms for non-goon servers.

Goons mumble tends to be clusterfucky, but that can be significantly reduced by people keeping chatter to a dead minimum. The more people on, the less people should say. As long as people observe that, it's usually okay, but it's probably a good idea to get better at calling out people who talk too much.

Also, DayZ mumble has plenty of subgroups, so as long as people split up it should be fine.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I speak from experience when I say that getting goons to play effectively is a completely futile excercise, heding cats etc. Goons are still generally better than pubbies, and some work together better than others. Some of us have a lot of squad play experience from the mod, feel free to ask our advice on effective pvp/communication or let us take the lead, and a lot of headaches will be avoided.

As to playing together in groups, there has ever only been one rule among goons: Don't be an rear end in a top hat (to other goons). If people start shooting goons over what they are wearing, they are in violation of that rule and are welcome to gently caress off and lone wolf it. I will not have any of that poo poo. Wearing that stupid loving mask is not a bright idea, but it's no licence to start shooting.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

AFAIC, if enough goons abide by a rule and one doesn't and gets shot, sucks. Sorry buddy. Get on mumble and we'll gear you back up but will probably shoot you if you put on a mask again.

What rule would that be? In case you've trouble reading, there's only one of those.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Every goon group I play with I ask if there are any group rules regarding clothing. Originally I was told each time it was hats. Now I've been told each time it's masks.

Oh okay. This isn't a thing. There's no rule about clothing, everyone can play however they like and nobody gets to tell anybody else how to play the game.

Honestly, if someone tried to tell me what to do or gave me advice I didn't ask for, I wouldn't want to hang around with those people. Assholes are no fun to play with, and even Sawchuck at his worst was never ever that bad. And that's saying something.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

No one is holding a gun to your head or otherwise forcing you to do anything otherwise. The "rules" are setup to keep people from accidentally getting shot. That's it.

No. That is herding cats bullshit, and it doesn't work. All you're doing with "rules" is creating a poisonous and hostile environment for goons to play in.

We have a way to avoid getting shot, it's communication and situational awareness, and people learn this with time. "Uniforms" don't work. Meanwhile, all we have to do is be patient and let people learn the game and become good players.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Icesler posted:

Chill out guys. We told our group last night (which was a huge group) not to wear payday masks, motorcycle helmets, and then we removed gasmasks just to make it easier when spotting friend or foe. Pubbies tend to wear payday masks and helmets so it was a quick way to visually filter out.

Wear whatever the gently caress you want. If you join up into a big group, it would be in your best interest to abide by the groups current rules to avoid being accidentally killed and losing all your stuff.

We had a group spawn right into the middle of our set up wearing gas masks. We hesitated when asking if we should engage due to the masks and we lost like 2 guys before the server went out. That's when we decided no hesitation. Mask = Death.

This will happen regardless of what you're wearing. What if someone spawns in wearing exactly the same poo poo you are wearing? This actually happened to me once playing on the mod. Clothing and uniforms don't work on a game where random people wear all kinds of poo poo.

Also, it most certainly is a good idea to work with a group, but it's not ok for the group to tell people what to do or they'll shoot you. If someone wants to wear something else, deal with it like a loving adult instead of legitimizing goon-on-goon hostility.

kripes posted:

While you're at it, don't goon wiggle either when asked. No one can tell you how to play after all!

Yeah this is the exact same thing :rolleyes:

:cripes:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
^^^^ That is a problem with communication, not headgear.

Baby Cakes posted:

No

Ignore this mask business, wear whatever you'd like. If anyone rags on you about masks tell me (ahuj9) or gramps and we will make their life a living hell. Dromus has no qualms about laying waste to gubbies either.

There is no gooniform. If you play in groups of 6+ players in one channel, you're asking for it. Do it at your own risk. You can set temporary ground rules for your little crew but it doesn't leave your session. The game is objectively more streamlined and less of a clusterfuck of friendly fire if you split into small squads. Go to different cities on the same server, or gently caress off to different servers. You're not missing out on epic goonery if you're not playing as a herd.

:tfrxmas: :respek:

While I doubt that will be needed, I don't doubt your ability, I've seen you both shoot.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

This is exactly the situation and you guys are getting upset and combative about it.

Nah, the problem is that you've decided that it's your way or the highway, and that's an rear end in a top hat move. Even if it's a temporary rule for a small crew (and by the way, this is not how you've presented it in this thread), you're still excluding people from playing in a group for no good reason other than your general inability to keep situational awareness. You're still telling people how to play, literally at gunpoint. And while a certain degree of cooperation is expected when playing in a group, demanding that players do anything other than not be assholes to eachother is stepping over the line.

We're allowed to gently caress up. It's okay to lose all your gear. If you don't have this attitude, you're going to have a really lovely time when you inevitably, inevitably die.

ethanol posted:

Seems like the people who are saying I'll wear whatever the gently caress I want don't even play with us in mumble so I don't know why the hell you people even care about our squad rules. If you're not in our mumble channel, we are true enemies, mask or no mask. After that, the mask rule only exists when people agree on it in mumble chat.

Wait, so unless we're all in your specific mumble channel and have agreed to your rules, you're just gonna go gently caress goons and shoot everyone not wearing your "uniform"?

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 7, 2014

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I haven't demanded anything man.

"we'll [...] probably shoot you if you put on a mask again."

Yeah. I can see that.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I don't really understand how saying "that sucks" and "sorry buddy" and "come back and we'll gear you back up" is an attitude.

You really need to take it easy.

Did you forget the part where you threaten to shoot someone if they don't do what you say?

Oh, and please go ahead and tell me more about what I need to do. After all, it's you who gets to decide, right?

ethanol posted:

The mask rule comes into play AFTER you join mumble and if we all agree on it as a squad. Got it?

This was never unclear. But I think you're being less than truthful about the whole "agree on it as a squad" bit. What you mean is, "do what we've already decided or get shot". Which is the issue.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 7, 2014

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Fog Tripper posted:

They are not mutually exclusive. Yes, we at times have a clusterfuck in mumble. No, people should not expect a group to drop it's specific rules for people who don't want to abide by them.

Let me make it clear IMHO: Individual group rules are fine. Everyone is free to gather their own squads/groups. I do not personally think anything beyond the wiggle should be a goon-wide rule.

If you are not in the specific channel, then the "wiggle" rule does not apply. So what is your solution?

Fine. Whatever. But don't be shocked when people decide they don't like being deliberately shot for wearing the wrong thing. And as a reminder, that is what we're talking about here.

The wiggle rule works as a stopgap, but the best solution is to maintain situational awareness. This comes from good communication, letting your teammates know where you are and asking if you've lost track of someone. This is not feasible in bigger than 5-6 man groups, which is why you should split up into our four dayz subchannels as needed.

One usually has time to ask, and clever players will announce themselves before running into a building he knows there are armed goons in. If in doubt, shoot first and ask later.

It boils down to being good with situational awareness, communications and squad security. I've done this for a while now, and with a group that knows its poo poo, friendly fire incidents are rare (though they do happen, in which case you grow a thicker skin and move the gently caress on).

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
^^^ Well to be fair I was wearing a helicopter. How could Rent have known? He told me not to wear one.

ethanol posted:

Again, you don't play with us in mumble, ie you have absolutely no idea what you're even talking about, or how we decide to shoot people. You're just spouting out "Let me be free" and 'you're assholes' bullshit in this thread before you even experience playing with us and it's getting super annoying.

Maybe I misunderstood your amazing eloquence:

ethanol posted:

On the opposite of that coin , "Play how you want" but if you join a goon squad that I'm in with a mask on I'm blowing your loving head off and I don't even care to ask at this point.

Seen too many goons lost to masked pu bbies spawning in our midst. It literally happened just yesterday. Here's my apology: fart.

"Play my way or I blow your head off, and if you don't like it you're not welcome in our group". Great message to send to all new people joining us in DayZ. Brilliant!

You should probably emphazise that this only applies to a small group of goons who don't want to play like the rest of us and are off doing their own thing then, so people don't assume you speak for anyone else.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Fog Tripper posted:

So he speaks for only him and a small number of players, yet you speak for the majority?

:drat:

If by the majority, you mean the people who play by the one and only rule: "Don't be an rear end in a top hat (to goons)", then yes I speak for the majority. Assuming of course that the majority would like to play by this rule, as we have been doing for a long, long time.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Szcwczuk posted:

We need to get the old group of spergs together.

Sure do, it's a lot funnier when years of collective DayZ experience comes together to create amazingly hilarious fuckups.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Here guys I did a thing!

Goon rules:

1. Don't be a dick (to other goons).

2. Respond to goon wiggle prompts in mumble ASAP, there might be a scope hovering over your head right now.

3. Be patient and take a few minutes before spawning in, figure out where the goons are, if you're within 2km of the action don't spawn-in unannounced. Same thing applies when approaching a location where the goon squad is currently in. Arriving unannounced might mean a bunch of ruined gear and 30 minutes of running in your near future.

4. Try to make things easy on your fellow goons, if you're the only one wearing a specific item of clothing while the rest of your squad maintains some wardrobe code it might be prudent to replace that item of clothing; if on the other hand you're the only one who maintains a certain code of dress don't try to insist that everyone else adheres to it. Be flexible.

This is actually not bad at all. Probably save some lives if it was in the OP. I will still kill the poo poo out of anyone intentionally murdering goons for wearing the wrong thing though.

Maybe we should write up some of the old mumble rules to have in the OP as well. Can't hurt with a little more comms discipline.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Not gonna lie, I laughed pretty hard.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Haha, wow. Goon clusterfucks best clusterfucks. That poo poo was hilarious.

Bit sad to see my week old character go, RIP mosin with pristine scope. It's absolutely heartbreaking when that weapon bug happens just as you're shooting some pubbie rear end in a top hat that's just killed a goon, so he hears you and turns and easily caps your rear end. Worst timing ever. I loving had that guy.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Slim Killington posted:

Stop playing in big groups of people. :ssh:

I seriously doubt ted needs advice.

Lizame Bizrutal posted:

I don't know what those rules were, but as a mod veteran, who played his first long session with goons in SA today, I have to say, most of you really are newbies still, and terrible in a large squad scenario. I think the mod vets might have been trying to help you all keep your heads on your shoulders.

I am very surprised I wasn't shot by a goon today. I could go on about why, but there's no reason to insult the new players. They're new, this is how it was with the mod in the first few months. People were terrible at describing locations, people talked about non important things when others are getting shot to death one hill away, it was (and still is) hilarious.

I even saw one or two people leave the channel really upset! It feels like the old days :)

I know, it's awesome. Playing effectively as a group takes a lot of practice, dedication and knowledge. Most goons playing the standalone have never done the poo poo we did in the mod, and you can't fault people for not knowing what to do. It's not like anyone was barking orders at them or organizing poo poo. It will get better as people learn, and a lot of the guys are really very good shots with hilariously inaccurate weapons, so there's loads of potential. It's just that DayZ is a bitch of a game.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Baby Cakes posted:

:siren: HEY! READ THIS POST :siren:

Thanks to the administrator of Kentucky Fried Server, Mustard Plant, he has given us a mumble instance of our own to gently caress about with.

I've divided the mumble into two major categories - one vocational group for people on the same server, a squad group for independent ops on different servers or people who just like squad channels. The location channels are divided into the major regions, and then divided further into the larger cities that define those zones. It's not strictly divided into quadrants, it's based on where players tend to gravitate.

It's a pain in the rear end to keep swapping channels, so join the channel of the city you are currently in or plan on going to. If you're just loving about in the general area, join the region's root channel. I've also included a general staging area if you want to idle there waiting for people to pop into the server.

I understand this presents a problem for newbies who are completely loving lost and have no idea how to read the map, so

:siren: HERE IS THE DANG MAP :siren: http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus :siren: LEARN THIS MAP :siren:

Until everyone gets familiar with the map we will probably have newbies bouncing about. In the meantime, you can always use squad channels. Please give me feedback on how this works as you guys use it. I don't want to add to many channels, but I don't want to just divide the map into nebulous "North/South/East/West" zones either because players don't gravitate to quadrants, they gravitate towards cities.

One suggestion I do have is if you know where you're going and travelling alone, switch to the channel for the city you're traveling to rather than switching once you arrive.

:siren: THE SERVER ADDRESS :siren:

mumble.fobneckbeard.com
port 64737

Please right click on your name and register to make sure you snag the username you want.

Holy poo poo you are the MAN. This is brilliant! Time to reconfigure some mumblin'

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Well, I just had a nice session of "drop the pubbie" with cyanide, that was fun. Covering Electro from both angles and popping the poor pubbies can be really fun. I love sniping in the standalone, though those 800 meter shots are a bit difficult with the bullet spread. Still doable, but hard. But gently caress combat loggers forever.

As to the mumble system, I think it's working really well and is no hassle at all. It's exactly what we need, so thanks a lot A huge nine!

Some effortposts from the old thread for your perusal:

Nice piece of fish posted:

Goons!

We need to have a quick talk about comms etiquette. Whenever more than 6 people are on, mumble turns into a total clusterfuck, and seeing as how important comms are in this game, we need to unfuck the situation a bit.

So here's my suggestion:

Comms are either free, or they are in "poo poo is going down mode". Either way, a few things that ALWAYS apply:

Don't interrupt! I cannot stress this enough. When two people talk at the same time, all that comes out the other end is garbage noise. Also, when poo poo is going down, don't clutter the comms about that makarov you found or with questions about who needs a heatpack OOH look a tincan. NO! Stop it! Don't announce any loot in mumble that you don't think someone badly needs or is looking for, or is really important. It is ok to call people out on this poo poo, because clear comms save lives.

If you have something of VITAL importance to convey that CANNOT wait, the wording is BREAK BREAK BREAK or CONTACT (in case of hostile player) <message>. This means "shut the gently caress up, this is important". If you have need of clear comms to get several sentences or a lot of information through, you end your message with BREAK. So, <message1> BREAK (everyone shuts up and listens for message2) <message2> BREAK (everyone shuts up and listens for message3) <message3> BREAK OVER.

When poo poo is going down (and I don't mean the general state of combat in dayz but when actual players are sighted) shut up and keep messages short and sweet, compress the info as much as possible. It's fun to bullshit over mumble, but we can do that when we're not in combat. Remember, the noise mumble makes drowns out player's footsteps. This is a huge handicap.

The most important info you can ever give (and this is how you get to be an invaluable team player) is enemy movement. Having a spotter in a location with oversight and the ability to coordinate the team is a win condition.

HOWEVER, in all communication common sense applies. If you're a newspawn alone in a different city from the team, feel free to not call out when you get shot at and/or killed. Nobody in comms can help you anyway.

So on the list of poo poo that is important:

#1: Enemy contacts. Location, number, heading, hardware, appearance. (CONTACT North-Northwest of hospital in Etanovsk 1 guy at 300 meters heading due east towards supermarket, lee enfield hippie skin.)

#2: Possible/suspected enemy contact. Shots fired? Direction. What gun. Zombies? Location. New spawns or not. (BREAK BREAK BREAK Shots fired mountainside due east of hospital maybe 400 meters, winchester)

#3: Friendly identification. Not sure if you're aiming at a goon? GOONCHECK before firing IF (and only IF) you have time. Gooncheck is stop and drop (prone) or Q and E (wiggle). Specify which. (BREAK BREAK BREAK GOONCHECK Guy with M4, go prone ok you're a goon)

#4: Vital info. "I need a medic at <location>" "I need backup at my location to watch west for possible contacts" "We found someone's chopper at <location>"

#5: Loot info. Loot you think people might want to pick up like a decent gun, ammo, spare parts or medical supplies. NVG's.

Keeping information compressed and messages short and sweet requires the number 1 thing that makes a DayZ player go from good to great:

Situational awareness.

Things to ALWAYS be aware of:

- Your location (think about how you can convey this as accurately as possible in as few words as possible). Where is north? Where are you on the map? In relation to known landmarks? If you get lost and don't know the cardinal directions, it won't help the team to know you're being fired at from your right.

The reason I DON'T recommend using headings (360 degrees) is that it's harder to use if not everyone has a compass. You don't need a compass to know north, and saying South-Southeast is more helpful to someone with no compass and an idea of where north is than saying heading 160.
As for the map, when referencing grids, it's top grid first, then side grid, and if you need to be more specific, give a corner (115 093 NW corner).

- The location of your teammates and their movements. This prevents friendly fire, and it lets people know where to cover. More than one person need never cover more than one direction unless there's a good reason (like a contact). If you're at a building, let people know that you're moving to cover the west corner, so they can cover the east and the south if you have cover from the north.

When you get shot in this game, sometimes you don't even know where you got shot from. But if your teammates already know your location and where you were moving, they will have a pretty good idea of where the shooter is. When not in combat, give your location. When in combat, give your location and where you are moving to, and it's priority #4 information. Vital, but less important than contacts and goonchecks. Short and sweet: "Gramps moving from church to hospital roof"

- Your surroundings. Where is cover? Where can I move to get into cover. What angle am I covered from. Where can I shoot from there? Where can I get shot at when I move? Always move from cover to cover in combat. Sprint, and in short distances between covers. Never prone. Never be out in the open. Always look around you and be aware of where people MIGHT be coming from.

And when poo poo is kicking off, and when you need maximum clarity, follow this protocol:

(BREAK BREAK BREAK first if important) <message target>, <message sender> <message> ("BREAK BREAK BREAK Omega, this is Gramps, your hostile is moving towards your corner from the west down the street, 100 meters"), ("CONTACT All goons, this is Gramps hostile chopper sighted dropping 3 targets due north of byelov firestation, targets moving south over the field, light them up").

Let me know what I'm forgetting and/or your suggestions, because we need a comms protocol and we could all practice this a bit to see if the comms clusterfuck gets better.

Szcwczuk posted:

We need to stop being bad at this game. I'm all for having fun and funny stuffs but there's a time and place for everything, sometimes you really just have to go into a bit of a serious game mode. I don't want to be full on mil-sim spergs but we have to do something different.

Some basic rules we need to start following:

GOON WIGGLE: We have to go back to this I don't really know when or why this stopped but we shouldn't be hearing stuff like "Who's in the ATC?" It's dumb and needs to stop. Say GOON WIGGLE! or GOON PRONE! and if they don't do it in like 2 seconds shoot them in the face. If there is a situation where someone asks "Is anyone at X?" DO NOT SAY NO not ever it gives people the GO! to shoot when someone might be a bit slow on the response.

Dealing with zombies: There is NEVER EVER a reason to use a loud gun to kill zombies. You have so many options; run into a building, Run through a building, take out an axe...etc. There is no reason for you to start risking everyone's life by firing a rifle. It's just going to attract more zombies and get you killed.

Car Etiquette: When the car stops there is always some goon that jumps out for no reason. This needs to stop it causes slow downs and zombie issues. Don't get out of the car unless you tell everyone beforehand and have a half good reason to do so. You need to communicate "I'm getting out of the car to do X." It keeps us all on the same page and allows us to plan better.

Calling Your Shots: The most annoying thing on mumble is hearing "WHOS SHOOTING!" or "SHOTS! SHOTS!" If you're going to shoot for any reason at all, before hand say "I'm shooting" or something along those lines.

loving With Goons: Although funny shooting at goons or people in our group is a really bad idea it makes people ignore shots that might not be goons. Just don't do it it's dumb were all guilty of it.

Mumble Etiquette: Although this part might sound a little overly spergy it still needs to happen. USE A HEADSET no one wants to hear all of us reverbing though mumble, use a headset or something, don't be a dick head. USE PTT voice activation is loving dumb don't use it. Don't talk about bullshit while were in a fight wait for a break in action. We also need to to split up mumble into to channels when were not all in the same place.

Be Prepared: I don't know why this keeps happening but before you join us on a run you better have at a minimum;
4 - 5 Bandages
2 Morphine
2 Painkillers
A loving COMPASS!

Nice piece of fish posted:

Yeahm that is actually a very good point, I'm guilty of this and it really shouldn't be done. We will never stop being bad at this game, though I'm pretty sure we can get less bad.

I think it's also about attitude; You should always be looking for a way to be useful and contribute. Pick up some poo poo that someone might need, keep spares just in case if you have room. Cover an entrance/exit while people move. Someone got eyes to the right? You got left then. Don't ever sit around doing nothing, there's always something to do or look out for.

Suppressive fire is not a sin, and can save the day. If you keep someone occupied, that lets another goon sneak up and shoot them in the rear end.

Try to memorize the appearance of your fellow goons, so you can shoot immediately when it's not a goon. Also, tell people if your appearance changes. If in doubt, shoot. Worst case scenario, you were wrong and it's a pickup/corpse run. Let people know if you are coming in towards a group, entering a building or doing something where we normally would shoot you. Goons like to shoot people, don't give them an excuse.

Maintain situational awareness at all times. Where are people going, try and remember. Pay attention to mumble.

Obviously this isn't gospel, but it's hard-earned knowledge, and I suggest it's worth learning.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mortimer posted:

Wow a whole lot of that sounds useful but really not fun.

If I hear someone saying BREAK BREAK BREAK CONTACT NORTH NORTHWEST HOSPITAL instead of something humans say I'm going to silently mock you. Yeah it's efficient but I didn't buy Arma 3, I bought DayZ bean eating ladder killing sim. I agree about some people saying really inane stream-of-consciousness stuff that no one needs to hear.

I especially loving agree with people actually using guns and ammunition to kill zombies in a major city. How much of a big ol' baby are you that you get so spooked you fire a whole clip into the undead? Axe, or just run away. Melee weapons are strewn across the universe.

Yeah, we never did go all serious business on comms etiquette but I didn't feel like weeding it out. Be as spergy or not as you want, but it does actually work as a "shut the gently caress up" in nicer terms.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mortimer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRQn9qdr46s

Lowtax's DayZ adventures

something tells me he didn't like it

This is actually funny enough to go in the OP.

Fog Tripper posted:

Low point of the night was someone asking if anyone was in a certain area, guy "a" said no while the guy "b" who was there said yes and the original guy only heard the guy "a" who said "no" and proceeded to kill guy "b".

Szcwczuk posted:

GOON WIGGLE: We have to go back to this I don't really know when or why this stopped but we shouldn't be hearing stuff like "Who's in the ATC?" It's dumb and needs to stop. Say GOON WIGGLE! or GOON PRONE! and if they don't do it in like 2 seconds shoot them in the face. If there is a situation where someone asks "Is anyone at X?" DO NOT SAY NO not ever it gives people the GO! to shoot when someone might be a bit slow on the response.

Yes, it's happened before. Like I said, sperg out with some comms discipline (it doesn't have to be a constant thing) or don't, but that's pretty much how you avoid those situations.

Ataraxia posted:

Everybody should read this and absorb it.

Well, like I said this stuff helps but it's not gospel and there's no rule that people need to do this. It's just a lot of hard-won experience from playing the mod, and it's very helpful when you want to win encounters. But even with the best of groups, it takes a lot of practice and skill to have a greater than 50/50 chance of winning a real fight with geared and skilled players.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 10, 2014

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Really, if anyone needs help getting started in the game, just pop in mumble and ask a friendly goon for some help. It's okay. Just please read the OP first.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
^^^^^ Remote tab. Add favourite. Works for me at least. gently caress that, no it doesn't anymore. What the hell?

Slim Killington posted:

I quoted a movie as a joke the first time I went goon hunting. If you actually played, you'd have heard in Mumble it lasted a half hour and I killed a single person and that was the end of the joke. You're taking sides in an argument that isn't really there over a game you don't even play.

Are you talking to Ahuj9 (Baby Cakes)? Cause he's got more hours in DayZ than most people posting in the thread.

Edit: Or if you're talking to Amir, that dude's been slaying pubs with us from before DayZero.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 10, 2014

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

HeyChochachos! posted:

Dromus is hoping on. DayZ community, prepare thine collective rear end.

Invite please:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dromus_roll_up

Oh poo poo, prepare :omarcomin: (see that works on so many levels)

This is gonna be fun.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Never Easy posted:

This guy on reddit posted about having custom gestures in-game

This would be so amazing for identifying friendlies.

I think we know what the goon gesture ought to be:

:gay:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
If in need of quick and/or specific advice or help (other than what's in the OP), join mumble and ask. This game has a steep learning curve, and we're more than happy to help.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Stringbean posted:

NoobZ Day 2:

I found a knife. With the rags of my previous kill stuffed into my pants, I wander down a valley. I end up in a small town, or cluster of buildings next to some sort of mill/factory thing. I stab a zombie to death and wander among the houses, when I run into another survivor. He instantly throws up his hands and says "I'm friendly!" over voice comm. I wave, and we chat. He shares with me some of his food stock, and with a farewell he turns to leave. I unsheathe my knife. As I come up behind him,a gunshot rings out from the woods above us. The guy takes it to the knee and drops down. He whips around, believing I had shot him when another burst of gunfire hails down at us. He takes it in the head the rest scatter around my feet. Without bothering to look where it was coming, I dash out back towards the mill and up to the woods.

I wander the woods for a while, hungry... thirsty. I come out next to larger factory with a pond next to it. I hear voices coming from the pond.

Unknown 1:"Don't move bud, ok?"
Unknown 2:"Yeah man, we just wanna check out what you have and we'll be on our way."

I peek out to see 2 armed men in military gear, standing over a bound fresh spawn.

Victim:"Just dont kill me man, I'm new here"
Bandit 1:"It's cool man...."
Bandit 2:"Just food..." *sprays disinfectant in the victims face*
They both precede down the train track, the victim gets up and wanders over to the water. I doubt he could do much with his hands bound, so I move out of cover and approach.

Victim:"Oh please dont kill me" he whines.
Me: I'm friendly.
Victim:"Could you unbind me? I'm throwing up and I need water"
Me: Turn around, I'll get that off you.

Cue me stabbing the poor sap...I think I'm changing.

Welcome to my world. We're gonna have SO much fun!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
It's all down to what you prefer. Myself, I'm relishing those 800 meters shots with the Mosin. My best one yet was an idiot on little Dobry proning towards me. Right in the dome.

It's not smart to prone, unless you're sniping.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

H2SO4 posted:

Absolutely the truth, no matter how counter-intuitive it may sound. Unless a sniper is taking a really stupid shot, he's still going to be able to see you just fine. While you're writhing about on the floor in full blown panic mode he can take all the time in the world to line up his perfect headshot.

I was getting fired at from someone I assume was on sniper hill this evening. I heard their first shot ring out, so I floored it and serpentined until I got to cover. He emptied his Mosin at me but didn't hit me once. Had I gone prone, I'd be doing the Berezino Shuffle all over again praying the server didn't restart before I could loot my gear. It also helps a bit to know how fast a Mosin can fire in succession. If you abruptly change direction just before he can get another shot off and keep him guessing, you'll edge the odds a bit in your favor. If you serpentine in a predictable pattern you're dumb and deserve to have a new brain cooling duct installed by the polite gentleman on the hill.

Of course, if he's really good at his job the first one will have brained you anyway. Good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgsD48sdnpI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Lunixnerd posted:

I honestly wonder if 100+ players per server is a good idea. A full 50 player server already feels a bit overpopulated, at 30 players you are practically guaranteed to have ongoing firefights at each of the airstrips and big cities and random scavengers running around the smaller towns so 100 players just seems a bit much.

It is, it's a horrible amount unless gameplay changes drastically, which I doubt at this point. 40 is an absolute max for me, playing on the very cutthroat DayZero servers on zombies.nu has taught me that 60 player servers means that a newspawn never manages to get any gear without dying.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Ballistic performance has little relevance in real life. Otherwise most armies would have stuck with 7.62 rifles rather than the comparatively wimpy 5.56.

It's not like you need to score 900m+ sniper shots to commit crimes, a .22 is enough to clip an artery or crack someone's skull from 25m.

Lots of reasons for such a change, though for my money I like 7.62 any day. Close Quarters nothing beats full auto carbines, but getting in close in DayZ is loving dangerous as hell and you can expect to die. Meanwhile, the Mosin is pretty underpowered compared to the real world 7.62x54R. 7.62 is evil enough to raise legitimate humanitarian concerns, and even a hit to a limb (especially a leg) is a guaranteed disability or death for the poor unlucky soul. 7.62 exit wounds are nasty. A hit to the torso is pretty much a death sentence.

Then again, in DayZ I've seen corpses get up and run away, so YMMV apparently.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 13, 2014