Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

I think the experimental, despite it's serious glitches, is a lot more fun than stable.

What're the major functional differences? I just bought the game 2 days ago and only played like 1 hour of stable before moving to experimental to join the group of goons playing last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I'll be on sometime probably Saturday afternoon, hopefully getting xie on too.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

How did those screenshots come out from our ambush in Kraz last night?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

The Mash posted:

What they really need to do is work on reasons for people to stay on specific servers.

Make the loot spawn rate a function of the server population.

If you're the only guy in the server, there'll only be 1/40th of the loot. If the server is full, gently caress it, double loot.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Do you think the addition of vehicles would bring more action to the airfields and cities, or less?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

1) what?
But you are already forced to start over every time you die in this system.

But without hive, I can't carry my gear between servers, so if my main character is on an empty/unfun server, I'm stuck there unless I want to lose all my progress. That sucks, and it would make the game even less fun than the loothoppers do now (I don't really mind loothoppers).

3) When I played Epoch, the base building mechnaic was absolutely wonderful. There were massive fights between factions that were fun as hell. Sieging a hostile base or defending from an invading force was some of the most fun I've had in DayZ. The base mechanics in Epoch are what made me start playing DayZ again.
I don't see the conflict.

The conflict is that, if I can't carry gear between servers, the only way to attack a base is to find all the weapons and gear for the attack on that server with the base, which is most likely already looted clean and populated with heavily armed players.

Who's gonna ever attack your base if you dominate the entire server and there's no hive?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

If I get injured and manage to stabilize myself so that I'm not bleeding anymore, will my vision ever go back to normal?

Eat and drink a shitload. Eat everything you can find, then go to a well and drink until it says your stomach is full.

That should give you "healthy" status, which begins to restore blood over time.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

Cool, thanks. I've yet to see a can opener in-game yet, so it looks like I might be dealing with blurry vision for a while.

You can use screwdrivers, axes, and knives to open cans, but you lose some of the food in the process. Outside a can opener, I think a knife gives the best yield?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Something that forces a player to make noise in order to get close to me.

Speaking of noise, it would be neat if your footwear affected the loudness of your footsteps.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

BigHandsVince posted:

Is there a steam group for the americans that are playing?

Yes, also jump into the mumble server and see who's on.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

xie and I spent like an hour camping out in Tank Square killing guys that walked through. It was hella fun, this game owns.

We die a lot but who cares, I can get regeared pretty quick now that I know how, and having goons help regear each other makes it even easier.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

H2SO4 posted:

I'm pretty sure you guys have been on for like 48 hours straight. At least every time I look in Mumble you're hanging around. Nice work.

Not that I haven't spent an inordinate amount of time playing this game in the first 2 weeks I've owned it, but I'm also irresponsible and I leave myself signed into mumble channels all the time.

I woke up one morning and laid in bed wondering who my roommate was talking to so early for a few minutes until I figured out it was mumble shouting through my headphones.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

According to Twitter, experimental servers are down for an anti-rubberbanding patch as I post this. If all goes well with that update, 0.45 will move to stable as early as Wednesday.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

KATATA FISH posted:

Do I basically need a mic to play this with you guys?

I guess you don't need a mic if you just wanna strip naked and run around Berezino drawing fire for us? Though it would still be handy if you could shout about what direction you were getting shot from.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Pretty much. I've only been around a couple of weeks but so far there's normally only one channel with more than one person in it at any given time.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

flick3r posted:

Oh man, new guys. So cute.

We huddle together for warmth. And beans.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I get a fresh spawn any time I join any server. Woooo. Hoping that clears up once all the servers are done updating or whatever.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Did the sprinting speed get reduced or am I just imagining that? Feels like I run slightly slower.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

So I'm not losing my character ever server hop, instead it's as if I have multiple characters and I don't know which hive I'm connecting to until I get into the server and see the character it gives me. The characters are apparently preserved, but there's no telling which one I'll spawn as.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

fletcher posted:

Is it a case of joining a hardcore vs. regular server?

Nope. I can't tell what's causing it. I'll run around Kraz with my empty SKS, find a backpack, hop servers, spawn in with my Sporter in Berezino, find a motorcycle helmet, hop servers again and spawn as a guy in Kraz with an empty SKS and a backpack, hop servers again and spawn as a guy in Bere with a sporter and a motorcycle helmet, hop servers again, get a new spawn.

I have no idea, and every server hop is another gamble.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Nice piece of fish posted:

It's one of the funniest hacks I've heard of though. I hope they named it "yoink".

I've had it happen 3 or 4 times now. Your gear just disappears off your person and (if they want) appears on the hacker.

My understanding is it's two "hacks," one causes you to drop your gear, the other edits the gear's location to the hacker's position. Only thing you can do is log off fast and hope he doesn't get it all.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Strom Thurmond posted:

lets look at how the other side plays this game

http://imgur.com/a/MnPoH

I don't understand how you can play for more than an hour or two with no other objective than "survive." It's just so boring. Gearing up from loot is work, interacting with killing other players is the game.

That's all he did for 6 months? Loot for food/water and hide?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Chortles posted:

To say the least! I had a customer come into GameStop

What? Is DayZ available at GameStop? Or is GameStop their go-to discussion group for any and all games?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

H2SO4 posted:

I carry a compass because I'm literally the worst with directions. I'd like to find a super high-res map that I can print out on the plotter at work.

I'm still looking for a map that not only shows the buildings and roads, but also the little fences and smaller details around the towns. Little stone walls can completely change your navigation around a city, and they've never on the stupid map.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I get lost in the woods all the time and so do friends of mine, so I carry a compass and often a spare if I have room and find one.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

The Mandingo posted:

So I lost one of my infinite mags, the one that was in my M4, but they missed the one I had in my protector case. If duping is still working let's make a ton of these sometime this weekend.

I think they get deleted if you try to load them into the weapon?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Great. So 60 stacks of M4 ammo get deleted if you try to split or load them, but infinity mags don't. :alpha:

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Screenshots I've been meaning to post:

I forget who found the complete police outfit, but it looks p cool.

Oh, we found a pubbie!

And stripped him naked and tried to box him in

His legs were broken a while ago, I think he was in and out of handcuffs?

I may as well join.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Upcoming experimental changes according to twitter:

Fixing weapon jitter when scoped in.

Doubling the number of experimental servers.

You should be able to see your Mosin impacts from more than ~200m again.

Work has begun on vehicles.

Plan is for 0.46 to migrate to Stable branch as early as next week. (I don't actually know which features are already in 0.46 and which will be in 0.47, I haven't played the current experimental version yet.)

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

RattiRatto posted:

I just got Dayz with steam so hopefully soon i'll be able to join you guys in this game. It looked really nice from the videos and the feedbacks, so i hope it will provide a good time.
See you soon on mumble!
cheers,
RattiRatto

If this sort of thing happened more often it would be obnoxious, but as such it's just goddamn adorable.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

weapon sway is fixed
long distance bullet impacts fixed

Hurray!

Uh oh.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Did exactly that last night. Logged into the airfield in a server of about 10 people, immediately axed a pubbie with an empty M4, ran over to Berezino and was handed an infinimag by flick3r.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Malakesh posted:

This cannot be said enough. Ground crew is the most effective when they stick together or at least know where each other are and when overwatch is feeding good intel. Overwatch has to feed good intel otherwise there is no point in being an overwatch.

Ground crew is also most effective when limited to three goons max. More overwatch is much more helpful than a fourth ground crew.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

McGiggins posted:

It is, however, only happening when I leave a server due to a restart.

You're sure it's inventory rearrangement on login and not server restarts rolling your character back 2-3 minutes?

k-spar posted:

Has anyone bothered trying to make their own mil-dots by putting tape on their screen or something? This is some super serious tryhard sperging, but I kind of want to do it.

I still have mine from Counter Strike.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Siets posted:

Also wondering about what changes have happened with spawning. Can I pick where I spawn like I could in the mod? I love playing this with friends, but spawning randomly on the standalone's gigantic map was a huge dealbreaker for me.

You still spawn in a random location, but it's limited to a reasonably small portion of the map, mostly centered around Berezino and the northeast quarter of the map.

Several times I've died in Berezino only to spawn less than a kilometer outside of town. Three or four suicides should be enough to chance a spawn within 5 minutes of where you want to be, within the northeast quarter.

McGiggins posted:

It is also worth mentioning that not a single thing in the bag was in it's original position, everything was jumbled.

Weird, never experienced any of this. Sometimes I wish my inventory would rearrange itself because I leave it horribly jumbled and full of gaps.

A "consolidate inventory" button would be nice.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Siets posted:

Wait... what? :catstare:

Hackers edit the ammo count in a magazine to be 6,000,000,000,000 and this creates an infinimag. Goons then shoot and kill the hacker and dupe the infinimag until we have a ground crew outfitted entirely with infinite ammo M4s.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

I begin pulling the trigger in a panic. I empty the SKS clip. One of the ten shots connected, killing the newspawn instantly. I called out the kill, and was immediately greeted by angry shouts from Mumble.

Lesson learned:
  • Always be prepared for a dangerous situation around newspawns
  • Don't come near me (15 meter radius) with fists raised and punching!
  • If possible, try and make sure Flick3r is somewhere along the line of fire (directly in front of, behind, or less than a few hundred meters to the left or right of the target)
  • Aim better.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

Hey! Those were tough shots! He was moving all around in a circle!

Haha, I know, it took me like 20 M4 rounds from my infinimag just to leg the imposter muffin man pubbie before you came over. Shooting moving targets is hard when they're running around at ~15-25 fps.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Would be fun to have an overwatch scope a location for someone else to log in inside the sanctuary safely, then use an amphibia to silently take out as many as possible before they find you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

The loot will always come to us. Scarcity is no problem, just loot the pinatas.