Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
George R.R. Martin's essence distilled!

Game of Thrones: The Fangame
(Heavy Sigh, Xarlaxas, and Pizzatime)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
No myth will save you from me, Justice Man!

Megaman Rock Force #15: Homing Piranha
(Heavy Sigh, Simply Simon, I am the MOON)

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

Heavy Sigh posted:

George R.R. Martin's essence distilled!

Game of Thrones: The Fangame
(Heavy Sigh, Xarlaxas, and Pizzatime)

Game of Thrones? More like Story of Maples. :smug:

If nothing else the video introduced me to Arcade Game Studio, one of those interesting products like Game Maker that lets people play videogame developer without having to learn a programming language. It's difficult finding games online that were made with the program outside the small list on the developers' website, though.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

bathroomrage posted:

Oh great, so he's just a Maverick. Fuckin' fanfiction writers.

Also wow, that stage looked like it was far below this game's usual level of quality. I guess it was a cute concept?

With a name like Justice Man, could he be anything else? :v:

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Justice Man has some pretty cool compatriots.

Megaman Rock Force #16: Frost Bombs

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I wanna say, the eyes of the eagle on Jman's castle aren't eyes, they are its "nose". The problem though, is the faces we've seen drawn aleady make me not sure about that...

Birds look weird if you see them up close.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's time to finish this rebellion off. For good.

Megaman Rock Force #17: B.E.A.T.
(Heavy Sigh and Simply Simon)

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

So, I got the feeling that the game creator had just listened to The Megas on repeat for a while before making the game.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Welp, that was a tired, preachy ending but overall quite the fan game. Thanks Heavy Sigh for playing through, and Simply Simon for the commentary!

Dithiannim
Nov 8, 2012

Luigi Takes A Walk

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

I would question why this was made, but the answer is that whatever creativity this person may have had is so utterly subsumed by their fandom that instead of creating a more appropriate narrative game, they decided to base it around Luigi because they're a Luigi fan you see that's their identity that's all they have to define themselves by every minute of their life is ruled by this obsession SHUT UP MOM I'M MAKING A GAME I'LL BE A RICH GAME DEVELOPER SOON YOU'LL SEE

:suicide:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
it's funny

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Luigi died on the way to his home planet.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Heavy Sigh posted:

Justice Man has some pretty cool compatriots.

Megaman Rock Force #16: Frost Bombs

All of these puns, but nobody thinks to call the snowman's weapon a broomerang?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's time for another pretty good fangame!

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles is a Castlevania fan game made by Mig. It is a fan game of the great KONAMI’S CASTLEVANIA® series.
Game’s creation started in June 2010. Beta version April 2013. ( Almost 3 years of hard work).
Altough lots of sprites and backgrounds are inspired from the Castlevania series, All of the graphics are homemade ( There are no ripped graphics).

Efrain Lecarde is a knight of the Church. To fight the evil is his duty. Strange event occurred in the cemetery of his hometown of Segovia ( Spain )..
People were scared and required his help. That is the beginning of the CASTLEVANIA LECARDE CHRONICLES adventure.
An adventure where Efrain will fight lots of evil creatures across caves, mountains, ruins etc.. He will then enter the Von Viltheim family castle, an holy place years ago..

Credits

MAIN PROGRAMMER: MIG
GRAPHICS: MIG
MUSIC ARRANGEMENTS AND REMIXES : JORGE D FUENTES, JEFFREY MONTOYA, B BUSTA, KEVIN MAC LEOD, MIG.

Technicals specificities

Game’s resolution is 640X480.That is a 4:3 resolution. Most of the users have now a 16:9 screen. This isn’t a problem, the game is built to keep the screen-ratio in full screen mode.

Nevertheless on some computers ( usually on portables ) the picture may be stretched. That will cause a very bad looking effect. If this happen, go on the windows desktop, right click and then choose in the graphics options the one that keeps the screen RATIO.

You can choose the VIDEO MODE when you start the game.
You can see in the picture with mountains if the scrolling is flowing ( not choppy ). An awful undulation effect may appear. If that occurs try another video modes …

Windows 7 and up

On windows 7 when you choose a VIDEO MODE or START the game, The software may not run dircectly. It could be"stucked" in the WINDOWS TASKBAR. If that occurs you only have to open it from the TASKBAR...

Main features

Castlevania The Lecarde Chronicles( CTLC ) has got:

-Save option ( The game is quite long )
-640X480 screen resolution
- Gamepad or keyboard controls (Default : gamepad if plugged in ) 4 buttons of the pad are used.
-Special moves to get

-2 Maps
-Lots of ITEMS to find to increase Efrain’s states.
-ITEM CRASH.

The Lecarde Chronicles #1: Seville Cemetary
(Heavy Sigh, Dithiannim, I am the MOON, and Aposke)

Mazo Panku
Nov 30, 2013

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
RIP Heavy Sigh. I suppose LP-Bot will have to finish the game for you.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Did Sigh's audio cut right out? It sounded as though someone was whispering through much of the video (though it seemed as though Sigh responded to said person), but that may be their natural voice and now I just look insensitive.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Heavy Sigh posted:

The Lecarde Chronicles #1: Seville Cemetary[/url] (Heavy Sigh, Dithiannim, I am the MOON, and Aposke)

This looks pretty good, it's like if they kept going 2D after Rondo instead of going all Metroidvania-y.

And no Moon, you're not free. You'll never be free from Sigh's fangamey grip :unsmigghh:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Bellmaker posted:

This looks pretty good, it's like if they kept going 2D after Rondo instead of going all Metroidvania-y.

And no Moon, you're not free. You'll never be free from Sigh's fangamey grip :unsmigghh:

I think it actually looks more along the lines of a true sequel to the style of Simon's Curse, which was the first one to be "All Metroidvania-y", color me actually interested.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
What's the homepage for Lecarde Chronicles?

I want to download the game but google is giving me a dozen of suspicious sites and I don't want to guess :S

nvm: found it http://the-mig-page.wifeo.com/castlevania-the-lecarde-chronicles-2013.php

b00n
May 8, 2007

Heavy Sigh posted:

The Lecarde Chronicles #1: Seville Cemetary
(Heavy Sigh, Dithiannim, I am the MOON, and Aposke)

Der goldene Adler = The golden Eagle

Ruhigstadt can mean either Calm City or Quiet City. It's more of a town though, so if anything it should be called Ruhigdorf.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Let's go spelunking like a proper Christian!

The Lecarde Chronicles #2: Cave of Silence
(Heavy Sigh, Snakeman, and Dithiannim)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

:eng101: That miniboss (as well as a few other features of the level) is straight out of the Castlevania Legend for the Game Boy!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Dammit, Choco, stealing my thunder. I think the game in question is actually Castlevania Adventure- the mole men, right?

This game reminds me of Castlevania X68000, which is massive praise-that game was the pinnacle of design and difficulty for the early entries in the series. There's a very similar aesthetic, a comfort with using one-off setpieces that alter the landscape, and it looks like the devs have also incorporated the best elements of the later open-world games. I may need to stop reading the thread for awhile so I can go play through this myself without being spoiled- although I think we've already been told who at least one of the Hunting Grounds bosses are.

Silent Cave Hard: The major difference that I noticed in the silent cave was that there were two locations where a script triggers that makes about ten bats flood the screen from both sides at once. There were also additional poison flowers in a couple positions. The Titan Spider appears unchanged, beyond the fact that it seems to have roughly one and a half times its normal mode HP.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 5, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Dammit, Choco, stealing my thunder. I think the game in question is actually Castlevania Adventure- the mole men, right?

This game reminds me of Castlevania X68000, which is massive praise-that game was the pinnacle of design and difficulty for the early entries in the series. There's a very similar aesthetic, a comfort with using one-off setpieces that alter the landscape, and it looks like the devs have also incorporated the best elements of the later open-world games. I may need to stop reading the thread for awhile so I can go play through this myself without being spoiled- although I think we've already been told who at least one of the Hunting Grounds bosses are.

Not all your thunder, as clearly I had the title wrong despite even owning the drat game. If it moved even a little bit more fast and smooth, it'd probably be a good game, as it is, it stinks.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Oh wait, we're a Lecarde? That's a neat detail.

He could very well be using the Vampire Killer! The Lecarde family were friends of the Belmonts and guarded the Vampire Killer during the times where there was no Belmont to wield it. This comes up in both Castlevania: Bloodlines as well as Portrait of Ruin.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Actually, this has been reminding me of some of the Neo-Geo classics. Specifically Magician Lord.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Heavy Sigh posted:

Let's go spelunking like a proper Christian!

The Lecarde Chronicles #2: Cave of Silence
(Heavy Sigh, Snakeman, and Dithiannim)

Hang on a minute.

Meatballs...

Croissants...

Spider Cheese...

This isn't the Silent Cave this is the Snack Cave.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
MIG seems to have made a bunch of fangames, which look awesome. I think I'm going to be occupied for awhile...

According to the website, the different difficulties of Lecarde Chronicles have different endings. Any chance we could see all of them?

edit: Holy cow, hard is brutal. Enemy placement has been tweaked, boss HP is increased, and the bosses get new abilities or other buffs. For example, Michael Jackson starts randomly summoning zombies during his fight, and the spider gets a substantial speed buff. This game is awesome-the developer clearly has an encyclopedic knowledge of the series, and what's more, good design sense.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 2, 2014

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Discendo Vox posted:

MIG seems to have made a bunch of fangames, which look awesome. I think I'm going to be occupied for awhile...

According to the website, the different difficulties of Lecarde Chronicles have different endings. Any chance we could see all of them?

We will see two.

Also, for the love of life, do not play Haunted Castle 2.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Heavy Sigh posted:

We will see two.

Also, for the love of life, do not play Haunted Castle 2.

What's that? Play Haunted Castle 2? OK. I don't have the requisite equipment to do a proper LP, but I'll do an effortpost with my experiences if I can get it to run/beat it.

OK, nevermind. I will leave playing the fangames to the pros from now on. Holy Hell. For the love of life, do not play Haunted Castle 2.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Feb 2, 2014

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
You got stiffed on your deal with the devil there, buddy.

The Lecarde Chronicles #3: Viltheim Hunting Grounds
(Heavy Sigh, Dithiannim, Loco, Chives, I am the MOON, Kingeffingfrost)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The miniboss also glitched out a bit- it's supposed to careen around the room at diagonal angles, not move horizontally.

Hunting Grounds Hard: The level is much nastier- it's littered with additional rifle skeletons and a few additional poison flowers near the beginning. For example, when you fall into that pit on the stairs- bam. Attacked from both sides by three rifle skeletons. Gerath is a bastard on the higher difficulty. He attacks faster, chains his projectiles, and summons the zombie hunting dogs during the fight.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 9, 2014

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Let's go on a boat ride!

The Lecarde Chronicles #4: Island Ruins
(Heavy Sigh, Kingeffingfrost, I am the MOON, Loco, Dithiannim, and Chives)

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Discendo Vox posted:

The miniboss also glitched out a bit- it's supposed to careen around the room at diagonal angles, not move horizontally.

Gerath is a bastard on Hard. He attacks faster, chains his projectiles, and summons the zombie hunting dogs during the fight. The hard mode level is also nastier- it's littered with additional rifle skeletons and a few additional poison flowers near the beginning. For example, when you fall into that pit on the stairs- bam. Attacked from both sides by three rifle skeletons.

The '_____ glitched out a bit' thing is a common occurrence for me :v:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Is it helpful/interesting for me to give info on the hard mode differences? It's kinda hell getting through these levels at the rate you're posting them. Edit: Groovy, thanks.

Island Ruins: Hard: The Ruins are easier than the Hunting lodge, in part because the mission feels a lot shorter, and in part because the worst instant death section is the first screen. The main enemy differences I noticed were that the rate of ghost spawns (those glowing skulls) was doubled in the door destruction room, and some skeletal archers were added to the final area. The rising water section was unchanged. The boss (which has no name, as far as I can tell) summons maybe twice as many ghosts, and continues to fire off scythes at you during its other attacks. The boss is likely inspired by the Enchanted Pillar boss from Castlevania: Bloodlines.

It seems like the difficulty tweaks in Lecarde Chronicles are limited to increasing enemy HP and decreasing yours, expanding the moveset of bosses and adding enemies to the levels. This is, frankly, enough- the added enemies are pretty clearly selected and placed specifically to ruin your day, and the boss tweaks so far have been enough to make fighting them very tense.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Feb 5, 2014

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Discendo Vox posted:

Is it helpful/interesting for me to give info on the hard mode differences? It's kinda hell getting through these levels at the rate you're posting them.

Go ahead whenever you actually pull it off. New info is always cool.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Good thing that platform was made of carefully sculpted styrofoam or it would never have floated in the grape juice.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Can you return to that level and find that the castle is in total ruins now? Would be a waste to have a literal pillar as a boss and not have it be a load-bearing boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's time we learned how to slide...like a priest!

The Lecarde Chronicles #5: Forsaken Monastery
(Heavy Sigh, Kingeffingfrost, I am the MOON, Loco, Dithiannim, and Chives)

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 6, 2014