Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
This game just looks like such ugly, janky garbage. Everything looks so -cheap- and recolored. Ugh.

Also why do the subweapons all have stupid names? "Vorpal Cross"? "Maneater Axe"? There's no loving way I'm believing the throwing knife is some kind of 'Greatsword'. It's hard to read the subweapon name text sometimes. My inner Castlevania sperg is also annoyed by the fact that you're playing a LeCarde but he's using a whip instead of the, you know, spear his family is famous for.

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

bathroomrage posted:

This game just looks like such ugly, janky garbage. Everything looks so -cheap- and recolored. Ugh.

Also why do the subweapons all have stupid names? "Vorpal Cross"? "Maneater Axe"? There's no loving way I'm believing the throwing knife is some kind of 'Greatsword'. It's hard to read the subweapon name text sometimes. My inner Castlevania sperg is also annoyed by the fact that you're playing a LeCarde but he's using a whip instead of the, you know, spear his family is famous for.

:goonsay:

Eh, it kind of reminds me more of the arcade Haunted Castle game Konami made, plus all the art is supposedly original, sooo...

The stupid names are actually for the level of ITEM CRASH you currently have selected. Also I'm pretty sure the creator of this game is french and does not actually know english that well.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Indeed.

It's not without its faults, namely the Lecarde sprite, but it's got a charm to it. I like the environments we've seen so far.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah, wacky use of language is par for the course in most fangames. All things considered this game doesn't look half-bad. It's not even unplayable.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Sliding Jumps are the new Backflip!

The Lecarde Chronicles #6: Lifeless City
(Heavy Sigh, Kingeffingfrost, I am the MOON, Loco, Dithiannim, and Chives)

I still don't know what Ungetstadt could even mean

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
According to Google Translate, "unget" is Latin for "anoint", so "Anointed City"?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edward_Tohr posted:

According to Google Translate, "unget" is Latin for "anoint", so "Anointed City"?

I guess that works? But we don't go in a church, nor is there really any religious iconography...

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

help no why am I let's playing a fan game again

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Man you haven't seen anything yet. I played this a while ago in a race video and this game gets so bullshit later. Imagine moving platforms with that great collision detection.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Are there Item Crashes in Super Mario XP?

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Heavy Sigh posted:

Are there Item Crashes in Super Mario XP?

Not that I know of, at least not so far.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
White men can't swim.

The Lecarde Chronicles #7: Death Mountains
(Heavy Sigh, KingEffingFrost, I am the MOON, Loco, and Dithiannim)

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 11, 2014

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Evil lurks in the ceilings of man.

The Lecarde Chronicles #8: Hunting Mansion Attic
(Heavy Sigh, Kingeffingfrost, I am the MOON, Loco, and Dithiannim)

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 12, 2014

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Heavy Sigh posted:

Evil lurks in the ceilings of man.

The Lecarde Chronicles #8: Hunting Mansion Attic
(Heavy Sigh, Kingeffingfrost, I am the MOON, Loco, and Dithiannim)

What was the deal with the priest then? It seemed like there was still some sort of powerup of some kind in the town...

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bellmaker posted:

What was the deal with the priest then? It seemed like there was still some sort of powerup of some kind in the town...

Oh there is.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
So I re-watched the Psycho Waluigi playthrough, and I noticed you guys seemed a lot more happier and at ease with that game than with any of the other fangames, even the decent ones. You should try to remember that game when you're playing these awful ones.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Heavy Sigh posted:

Two levels in a row!

Aw, c'mon, I just beat the freaking hunting grounds two days ago.

edit: Jeez, notdeath has an attack he didn't get off in your playthrough- it might be hard only, or you might have ended him too fast. After summoning all the hearses, he basically fires a bunch of fast black horizontal lasers that try to track your position. He also passively spawns zombies. I can clear the level consistenly, but the town, the monastery and the mountains are all brick walls for me at this point.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 14, 2014

Pizzatime
Apr 1, 2011

Gygaxian posted:

So I re-watched the Psycho Waluigi playthrough, and I noticed you guys seemed a lot more happier and at ease with that game than with any of the other fangames, even the decent ones. You should try to remember that game when you're playing these awful ones.

Those were simpler times, where everybody had a single game he had carefully picked and was looking forward to LP. Now there's only madness.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gygaxian posted:

Hey, Rock Force was pretty upbeat. You...have seen the horrors we've unearthed, right?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Heavy Sigh posted:

Hey, Rock Force was pretty upbeat. You...have seen the horrors we've unearthed, right?

Rock Force's quality just fell off a cliff for the last third though.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013

Heavy Sigh posted:

Yeah, but you seemed to be more "yay, it's decent" than genuinely happy about the fangame.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gygaxian posted:

Yeah, but you seemed to be more "yay, it's decent" than genuinely happy about the fangame.

That was my happy.

MISSING ENTHUSIASM.DLL

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 14, 2014

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
See you at the party, Alastor!

The Lecarde Chronicles #9: Castle Foyer
(Heavy Sigh and Simply Simon)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Finally, I made some progress in Lecarde Chronicles hard mode:

Hard Mode Ungestadt: Several spiders and bone wyrms are added to the swamps. The town has several additional fleamen, including a point where about 5 spawn above you at once. Another spawns to knock you back into the hearse at the end of the chase sequence. The sewers are unchanged. The crypts have a large number of added panthers and evil monks. Some evil monks are placed in trap spawns, such as immediately in front of or behind the player- there's one right before the timed door, positioned to knock you backwards into the spikes, for example. Unless you know they're coming, you will get hit. Notdeath will passively spawn hearses as well as zombies as he moves around the field. After the bell-ringing attack, he will immediately launch several sets of location-targeting horizontal projectiles that move very fast. The second phase is notably easier, because aside from the passive zombie spawns, it seems unchanged.

Does anyone know what the "Friedhof" written above the cemetery gates means? edit: I really should google things before I ask.

Hard Mode Hunting Grounds upper floor: An absolute bastard, entirely because there are added bone clusters and bat spawns in the area with the pit, including one cluster right before the end of the area, where you can't really do anything to hurt or avoid it. The hornet's nest seems to be unchanged; it's very easy to keep it locked down with axes. I might've quit if I hadn't beaten it on the first try; the preceding area has so many random variables that can put you in the pit, it's not funny.

Hard Mode Monastery: Several additional antlered skeletons and mummies are added to the first parts of the level. An additional Master Zombie appears in the courtyard. Two mummies and an extra lord zombie are added to the room where the slide appears- this is best handled, as in the video, by clearing as much of the room as possible with subweapons before dropping down. The belfry is unchanged. The crypt is, again, made incredibly painful by the addition of evil monk spawns in positions designed to knock the player into spikes, other enemies, or fire pits. The fire pit also has continuous bat spawns. The boss has no changes to its chain spikes, but it's bouncing orbs are approximately doubled in speed- not a big deal because they do so little damage. Once you get to the boss, though, the respawning 1up means you have a guaranteed victory. Memorizing the spike patterns is trivial.

There are some really nice touches in the graphic storytelling at the monastery- For example, the first screen shows signs that someone was burnt at the stake. It looks like the monks were corrupted by the thing in the crypt. Similarly, Ungestadt uses its scenery to tell a story- something from the graveyard, which contains a large number of coffins bearing the Vilhelm coat of arms, seems to have penetrated up through the ground and destroyed the town from within. I'm curious what the hornet's nest is meant to convey, since it's locked off from the rest of the map.

I am already dreading that chandelier sequence in the foyer. MIG clearly spent a lot of time thinking about enemy placement; Hard mode never resorts to straight up enemy spam, but the new enemies are always placed in just the right spot to ruin your day.

If it would be productive, I'll compile and streamline these Hard mode differences notes into a single post once I beat the game (in about three years.)

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 15, 2014

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

A Friedhof is a cemetery.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

This is really cool, thanks man.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Step 1: Plant rose. Step 2: Water well. Step 3: Kill Belmont.

The Lecarde Chronicles #10: Bloody Topiary

Heavy Sigh fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 17, 2014

JesusGeorge
Apr 29, 2005
TheKeeper bought me this account so now I have to rub peanut butter on his nipples on a daily basis.
I want to say the Balloons were introduced in Dracula's Curse. I know they were in that one, but I don't remember if they might have been in Simon's Quest. Certainly not in Castlevania.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

JesusGeorge posted:

I want to say the Balloons were introduced in Dracula's Curse. I know they were in that one, but I don't remember if they might have been in Simon's Quest. Certainly not in Castlevania.

I'm almost positive there aren't any Balloons in Simon's Quest. The monster design there is generally pretty straightforward, and the game has horrible problems with lag which would make the Balloons' gimmick kind of terrible.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The Balloon Pods are indeed first found in Dracula's Curse.

Great, another very long level. The way the game handles randomly spawning enemies is one of my only issues with it- there are too many places where they can kill you with no recourse, especially in pit rooms.

w/r/t criticisms of the design and aesthetics, if something looks out of whack, odds are good that it's because it's inspired by something similarly strange in a previous castlevania, particularly Super Castlevana IV and Bloodlines. The castle levels so far have been veritable love letters to the 16-bit generation of the series.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 17, 2014

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm glad it did the foyer type level in the same way that Castlevania games always do it. It just makes me smile.

Dithiannim
Nov 8, 2012

Gygaxian posted:

It's hard to be happy when fangames make you want to die.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Discendo Vox posted:

The Balloon Pods are indeed first found in Dracula's Curse.

Great, another very long level. The way the game handles randomly spawning enemies is one of my only issues with it- there are too many places where they can kill you with no recourse, especially in pit rooms.

w/r/t criticisms of the design and aesthetics, if something looks out of whack, odds are good that it's because it's inspired by something similarly strange in a previous castlevania, particularly Super Castlevana IV and Bloodlines. The castle levels so far have been veritable love letters to the 16-bit generation of the series.

I would be completely cool with the eyeballs if they spawned with respect to your direction.

Because then you could anticipate them.

Also, in hard mode, stand next to the spinny cross thing, and eat an eye laser to get bounced across it. Million times easier than jumping it with twice as many eyes around.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
When you got the subweapon upgrade you said one of the less useful ones became the best one. Which one were you referring to?

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat
Care for a dance?

The Lecarde Chronicles #11: Gallery of the Artiste

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

"your brother"- wait, Heavy Sigh, are you related to MIG? Did I miss this somehow?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 19, 2014

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well wilhelm seemed to be a reference to classic drac.

Long table with powerup candles? Check.
Two forms, one human one monstrous? Check.

Horrible weakness to the cross? Check.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

When you got the subweapon upgrade you said one of the less useful ones became the best one. Which one were you referring to?

I was more referring to a specific level with that, but the upgrade really does make stuff like the diamond and knife way better.

Holy water though still has the problem of flying too far to be useful (anything with a slope).

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Heavy Sigh posted:

I was more referring to a specific level with that, but the upgrade really does make stuff like the diamond and knife way better.

Holy water though still has the problem of flying too far to be useful (anything with a slope).

Yeah holy water is pretty much useless. I only used it for level 3 item crash.
Surprisingly the knife is kinda good against some bosses once you abuse the invincibility and the cheap price of level 2.

Of course none of this matter if you have a diamond and enough hearts :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Yo Sigh, you're killing me. You got to post one of those MegaSonic things.